14%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 94

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Taking of Dick McWilliams (2.10)

#41 Post by Milton Collins »

I watched this one last night and give it a 7.5 not great but not terrible either, just pretty average. I actually liked the beginning premise of the kidnapping and Magnum helping a friend and thought it got worse and extremely predictable the further it went. It was SO obvious that Dick's friend in the picture was in on the kidnapping (a nylon mask? stealing his girlfriends car as the getaway car after collecting the money?) This really ruined the mystery of the episode. I would say the plot was pretty crappy overall and this would have been a really bad episode of if not for a few great scenes:

- Rick talking to "Shakey", loved it! I always liked how Rick had connections, this time on the good side of the law lol.

- How cool to throw in another McGarret reference! I saw in another post that they tried to bring Jack Lord in to do a few small Magnum appearances as Steve McGarret. Too bad he refused!

- Magnum's yellow shirt, lol! I was dying laughing other than the fact that it almost hurt my eyes it was so bright, is this the only time her wore it? I sure can't remember another time.

- The Higgins/Magnum scene on the ocean is really quite awesome. It starts out funny with Higgins telling Magnum if he's going to kill himself not to do it on Robin Masters property. He acts SO uncaring about Magnum and is much harsher on him in these early seasons but you know he does as he goes on to share a story to try to make TM feel better. The mark of a true friend already showing in season 2!

- Ok Rick's whole black eye from the nun thing was great! And I loved how they saved it for the end for him to disclose who popped him. Great ending to see the guys cracking up and him saying "She was a big nun!"

Some obvious lowlights:

- Dick McWilliams himself, what a dispicable, unlikable, disgusting guy!

- Mitsu: for some reason I couldn't stand the actress who played her or her father, both terrible!

I love season 2 so while this isn't one that I watch often, some really good (and funny!) scenes helped make it better in my opinion.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

Milton Collins wrote:- Mitsu: for some reason I couldn't stand the actress who played her or her father, both terrible!
Hey, I liked TM's yellow shirt! :D

I think Irene Yah-Ling Sun is a beautiful woman but only an adequate actress. Bad news for you, Milton, as you know probably already know, she'll be back as torch singer Marissa in S3's Flashback. Putting it politely, her vocal rendition of "Am I Blue?" is positively putrid. I'm sure it's made her the enemy of animals with sensitive hearing the world over.

However, I must defend reliable Hawaii Five-0, MPI, and Tales of the Gold Monkey actor John Fujioka. He's okay in my book (and maybe only in my book!)
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#43 Post by J.J. Walters »

Little Garwood wrote:I think Irene Yah-Ling Sun is a beautiful woman but only an adequate actress. Bad news for you, Milton, as you know probably already know, she'll be back as torch singer Marissa in S3's Flashback. Putting it politely, her vocal rendition of "Am I Blue?" is positively putrid. I'm sure it's made her the enemy of animals with sensitive hearing the world over.
LOL! Little Gar! :D
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Milton Collins »

Little Garwood wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:- Mitsu: for some reason I couldn't stand the actress who played her or her father, both terrible!
Hey, I liked TM's yellow shirt! :D

I think Irene Yah-Ling Sun is a beautiful woman but only an adequate actress. Bad news for you, Milton, as you know probably already know, she'll be back as torch singer Marissa in S3's Flashback. Putting it politely, her vocal rendition of "Am I Blue?" is positively putrid. I'm sure it's made her the enemy of animals with sensitive hearing the world over.

However, I must defend reliable Hawaii Five-0, MPI, and Tales of the Gold Monkey actor John Fujioka. He's okay in my book (and maybe only in my book!)

Lol the yellow shirt!! And good spot, I do remember her from Flashback and that horriffic signing!! Your description of it totally cracks me up, love it Little Garwood!!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:I must defend reliable Hawaii Five-0, MPI, and Tales of the Gold Monkey actor John Fujioka. He's okay in my book (and maybe only in my book!)
I think you should give John Fujioka another chance. He is excellent in the season two Six Million Dollar Man episode, The Last Kamikaze.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Milton Collins »

Little Garwood wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:I must defend reliable Hawaii Five-0, MPI, and Tales of the Gold Monkey actor John Fujioka. He's okay in my book (and maybe only in my book!)
I think you should give John Fujioka another chance. He is excellent in the season two Six Million Dollar Man episode, The Last Kamikaze.

I might have to do that Little Garwood. He actually played a pretty convicing traditional Japanese father who was ticked off his daughter married the bumbling Dick McWilliams lol. If I see him in something else I'll watch with an open mind:) I guess really it was Mitsu that bothered me more than him. I just re watched season 3 episode "Flashback" and during her singing I thought of your hilarious description and reference to hurting animals ears and died laughing!!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by KingKC »

I have no explanation why I remember this one so well. I think it is because it was in fall of 1981 and I was really getting into MPI and Thursday night television. After seeing 8 years of MPI and reading all of the commentary, mostly negative, I still liked it but now realize MPI had a lot more to offer in the future besides what we saw in Season 1 and early Season 2. Timing is everything.

KingKC

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ENSHealy »

Not really a fan of this episode, I could only give it a 7.0 Average at Best. I'm sorry, I know there's some positive comments on here about her, but Irene Yah-Ling Sun was terrible. Just not good at all. And the honeymoon suite interlude...was there a short writers strike during the shooting of this episode, because that was throwaway garbage.

Also, either Thomas didn't question her well enough or Mitsu wasn't paying attention during the kidnapping, because the blue Galaxie that Dick was kidnapped in was two cars ahead of the orange jeep during the initial part of the car chase scene. Thomas could have saved a lot of time running down plates if he'd known that was the other car. But then we wouldn't have had the McGarrett drop, so I guess it's ok, we'll give 'em a pass on that.

On a personal note, I was happy to see that when TC is getting coffee while Thomas does his taxes, you can just catch a glimpse of the coffee maker sitting on the stove, and it's the same coffee maker that was at my family's cabin until the carafe broke just a couple years ago. So it's cool to know Thomas and I shared a coffee maker! If I'd have known that sooner, I'd have tried to find a replacement carafe instead of tossing it!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

f14peter
Lieutenant

#49 Post by f14peter »

Average at best for me. I'm going through the series for the first time in a few years and sometimes on a rewatch, an episode I originally didn't think much of for is more appealing ... but not here.

Flub: As Magnum and TC chase the ransom car(s) into the tunnel, they fly to the other side and are clearly above the eastern side of the tunnels on Pali Highway, relatively modern divided road with two one-way two-lane roadways. But when they come down to peek into the tunnel (and TC has to jump out of the way of oncoming car), they're at a completely different tunnel, one with an older two-lane/two-way road with a yellow lane divider stripe

I haven't been able to find that tunnel on Google Maps, probably updated to two one way roadways since. Any ideas where that tunnel is, maybe what's now the H-3?

Also, the blue Merc that Truck ... er, I mean Kaholo used in the kidnapping and ransom switch is the exact same car, Hawaii plate BNN 677 driven by Dr Martinez's zealous assistant Keone in Dead Man's Channel. Maybe Gloria picked it up at a police impound auction after Keone's sad demise.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sam »

f14peter wrote:Average at best for me. I'm going through the series for the first time in a few years and sometimes on a rewatch, an episode I originally didn't think much of for is more appealing ... but not here.

Flub: As Magnum and TC chase the ransom car(s) into the tunnel, they fly to the other side and are clearly above the eastern side of the tunnels on Pali Highway, relatively modern divided road with two one-way two-lane roadways. But when they come down to peek into the tunnel (and TC has to jump out of the way of oncoming car), they're at a completely different tunnel, one with an older two-lane/two-way road with a yellow lane divider stripe

I haven't been able to find that tunnel on Google Maps, probably updated to two one way roadways since. Any ideas where that tunnel is, maybe what's now the H-3?

Also, the blue Merc that Truck ... er, I mean Kaholo used in the kidnapping and ransom switch is the exact same car, Hawaii plate BNN 677 driven by Dr Martinez's zealous assistant Keone in Dead Man's Channel. Maybe Gloria picked it up at a police impound auction after Keone's sad demise.

Hi f14peter...
That photo was taken on the road going to Diamond Head crater...

Unnamed Road
Unnamed Road, Honolulu, HI 96815

https://goo.gl/maps/DnVLtoVen2z

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by ENSHealy »

f14peter wrote:Also, the blue Merc that Truck ... er, I mean Kaholo used in the kidnapping and ransom switch is the exact same car, Hawaii plate BNN 677 driven by Dr Martinez's zealous assistant Keone in Dead Man's Channel. Maybe Gloria picked it up at a police impound auction after Keone's sad demise.
Nice catch!!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:
f14peter wrote:Average at best for me. I'm going through the series for the first time in a few years and sometimes on a rewatch, an episode I originally didn't think much of for is more appealing ... but not here.

Hi f14peter...

Unnamed Road

How DO you do that, Sam?! :shock: I took a screen cap of the location you identified...

I know you know Sam, but thought I'd mention that building off in the distance is the Kahala https://www.kahalaresort.com/

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:

Hi f14peter...

Unnamed Road

How DO you do that, Sam?! :shock: I took a screen cap of the location you identified...

I know you know Sam, but thought I'd mention that building off in the distance is the Kahala https://www.kahalaresort.com/

BINGO....Thanks RG.... that shows it much better than my street view.... I have been on that road more than a couple times but the Kahala is what tipped it off..Thanks

karolis
Admiral

#54 Post by karolis »

Two episodes in a row that I didn’t really like.

Personal Best Season 2 episodes up to this one:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. The Woman on the Beach
5. Dead Man’s Channel
6. Wave Goodbye
7. From Moscow to Maui
8. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
9. Billy Joe Bob
10. Mad Buck Gibson

First 4 – great. Middle 3 – good. Bottom 3 - really bad, it’s even hard to rank them. The only part I liked of Mad Buck Gibson – the very ending.

duvduv
Lieutenant

#55 Post by duvduv »

Who killed Dick McWilliams at the end and what happened to the money? I couldn't figure it out.