3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 108

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Sixth Position (2.11)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Sixth Position (2.11). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/17/1981
Magnum is called upon to protect a spoiled prima ballerina after several attempts are made on her life. At first, her attitude is not endearing to Magnum, but are those sparks flying between them?
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by lutherhgillis »

Is it just me or does anyone else think this is the weakest episode of the series? Even 'Adelaide' was less predictable than this one. And where was the excitement?

Luther H Gillis

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

I agree that the plot was pretty weak, but the main highlight of the episode is that we learn of T.C.'s love of dance, further proving appearances can be deceiving (i.e. a muscular helicopter pilot being a ballet "afficiando"?)

Thats what brings it up for me

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Agreed. This episode is kind of a snoozer. The only bright spots for me are seeing Swedish star Signe Hasso (who in the '40s was being groomed by Hollywood as the next Garbo), Magnum & Kendall's little tryst at night on the estate's lawn, and the Waikiki Shell. Other than that, there is nothing much to get excited about here.

By the way, there is a brief scene with Rick on the phone from an indoor set that I've never seen before (or at least one I don't remember):

Is this supposed to be his rarely seen house? Or is this another redesigned office for him?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hey James,

I believe this is Rick's house/apt (I'm lead to believe that they are connected and his apartment is on club property).

Check out "The Woman on the Beach" and you'll see it there as well.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:Hey James,

I believe this is Rick's house/apt (I'm lead to believe that they are connected and his apartment is on club property).

Check out "The Woman on the Beach" and you'll see it there as well.
There is another episode that shows Rick's house, but I can't be sure of the episode or season. I think it's season 7 or 8. In this episode, Magnum was was wearing an insect-mask ( :twisted: ) intending to scare Rick since Rick is so afraid of insects (Operation Silent Night), however, when Rick did not answer the door, Magnum goes around back to find Rick floating face down, very still in his swimming pool. Although Rick is merely looking for his girlfriend's necklace or something, Magnum thinks he has drowned and jumps in with the insect-mask on in an effort to save Rick, and nearly scares Rick half-to-death. :lol:

I want to say this was from "Innocence A Broad" only because I think there was a blond woman with Magnum when he finds Rick in the swimming pool. Anyone remember what episode this scene is from?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:Check out "The Woman on the Beach" and you'll see it there as well.
Ah, but of course! Thanks Doc.

I can't wait to see that episode IH! It's been too long!

At the risk of sounding obtuse, anyone know the significance of the episode title? The know that the "sixth position" is one of the six main foot positions in ballet, the "neutral" position, but what is the tie-in with the episode?

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by lutherhgillis »

Guys,

Hang in there with me for a bit and I may be able to explain the tie-in. I'm not very eloquent, but here goes...

The sixth position is the neutral position, right? Magnum's character is often told things like, "stay on the sideline, we're the professionals you're the PI", and "you have no need to know". It happens many times throughout the show's run. In this episode, Magnum is once again in the neutral position: he is hired to babysit while the feds try to let the dancer give misleading information to the KGB. Magnum trys to do what is right and protect the dancer while he has "no need to know" what is really going on. He is totally in the neutral position even though it is against his wishes.

Being neutral is also tied into the 'fear' Magnum has of growing older and becoming like Luther Gillis. Magnum has also displayed the 'being 33 and having never been 23' feeling. Boil the whole thing down and Magnum fears not being in control of his life (see episodes where he is brought back into the Navy against his wishes- Memories are Forever and Blood and Honor). One of the things that makes Magnum an enduring character is the vulnerability. If this big, strong, handsome character had not had flaws and vulnerabilities, men would not have liked him.

What do you guys think?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Brilliant reconstruction there LHG! It makes perfect sense to me.

Once again, it's great to have you here! :)

grundle
Admiral

#10 Post by grundle »

I really like this episode. Now that Ted Danson is out of the way, Magnum can kiss Andrea Marcovicci without having to worry about getting punched in the jaw.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

grundle wrote:Now that Ted Danson is out of the way, Magnum can kiss Andrea Marcovicci without having to worry about getting punched in the jaw.
.... or getting impaled by a grappling hook! :shock:

Magnum92
Captain

#12 Post by Magnum92 »

I also like this episode, I just liked the whole bodyguard thing :)
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

Tralfaz
Admiral

#13 Post by Tralfaz »

I liked this episode as well and quite liked Andrea.

She is quite the talented cabaret singer.

http://www.andreamarcovicci.com/HOME.html

Only decent sample with audio I found in my exhaustive 30 second search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZOmmMkwJdU
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

grundle
Admiral

#14 Post by grundle »

When RTN played this episode yesterday, it had the opening teaser, and the season 2 opening sequence. That's very unusual, because they usually skip the teaser, and use the season 4 opening for all episodes.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#15 Post by rubber chicken »

Found the home of Elaine Selmire. (gm link)

It's in Portlock on Portlock Road, just a short drive north of the house used in Ghost Writer (2.12) & All Roads Lead to Floyd (1.13). And also a short drive south east of Rick's home.

Such a unique house!

EDIT: This house was also used in Torah, Torah, Torah (5.21).
Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.