5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Ghost Writer (2.12)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Ghost Writer (2.12). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/24/1981
An attractive woman, who is ghost writing an autobiography of eccentric millionaire Harold Farber, hires Magnum after her research materials are stolen. Clearly, someone is trying to stop her from completing the book.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A fun episode with some goofy "sneaking around"-type scenes involving security cameras and security guards. Screen legend Elisha Cook Jr. (in his pre-Ice Pick days) plays an eccentric millionaire. Patch Mackenzie (as Virginia Fowler) makes an amorous move on Magnum in the guesthouse ... and he turns her down! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Looking for a couple of location ID's:

Virginia Fowler's hotel (listed in the show as "Maunalua Bay Resort"):

Harold Farber's office building (where the climactic rooftop fight takes place at the end):

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sam »

Hi James,
The resort is actually a house in Portlock,the same house was used in "All Roads Lead to Floyd"..It's on the ocean at the end of a Cul-de-sac.

I'm sure Rubber Chicken can find it.

Edit...The house is on Hanapepe Place just west of Hanauma Bay at the end of the peninsula.

Cap from RolieMan's...Ghost
http://rolandmans.com/Magum%20Files/Ghost17.jpg

and Floyd.
http://rolandmans.com/Magum%20Files/floyd59.jpg

If you locate it on Google Earth...You'll see the pool.
http://rolandmans.com/Magum%20Files/floyd50.jpg

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#5 Post by rubber chicken »

Nice find Sam! I think you meant to say Poipu Place though, the Cul-de-sac directly south east of Hanapepe Place. It appears to be this house with the long driveway.

Thank you for finding that though, I didn't know where it was and I don't want to take your credit. :wink:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome, thanks! Man, what a house that is! :shock:

I've updated the episode guide for "Ghost" and "Floyd".

Any ideas on the office building?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

RC

I think you meant to say Poipu Place

Nope,I did see it at Hanapepe Pl..BUT I was wrong.You have the right spot.

Credit to Rubber Chicken..

James,I do know where the office building is but I can't remember now..Let me think about it.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#8 Post by rubber chicken »

Well I actually found the building before seeing your post Sam. :oops: It's the Honolulu Municipal Building.

And Mrs. Ballard's building (employer of Oscar, the man who's found by Magnum in the guesthouse) is the Ilikai Hotel.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

Come clean RC....Do you work for Google? :lol:

I was pretty sure it was near the capitol....Here is a photo...Name change in March 06.

http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/pho ... id=4999652

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#10 Post by rubber chicken »

When you think about it, doesn't really everyone in some small way work for google? :P

And nice photo! Now known as The Frank Fasi Municipal Building? I'm going to have a chat with my source!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Sam »

Hahaha...RC.do you ever use wikimapia?

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=21.324878&lon ... =0&m=a&v=2

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#12 Post by rubber chicken »

Hehe, yes, that was the source I was speaking of. :D

Someone should correct that before somebody else gets hurt.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome, thanks again guys! :)
rubber chicken wrote:(employer of Oscar, the man who's found by Magnum in the guesthouse)
This is one of my favorite scenes of the entire show! It made me laugh so hard, my sides hurt! After nearly being sniped to death on his own couch, Magnum finds this myserious older guy (Oscar) lurking in the shadows of the guesthouse. Still half asleep, Magnum fumbles around looking for his .45 while continually telling the guy, "stay right there .... you stay right there" (while waving his finger at him). He finally finds his .45 in a duffel bag in his closet. He pulls it out, cocks it, and tells the guy, "Now, why are you here?". He soon realizes the gun isn't loaded, so he tells the older guy (who, by the way, through this entire time seems infinitely more scared and befuddled by the situation than Magnum is) again to "stay right there" as he loads his gun! LOL! After finally finding and loading his gun, he at last gets to question the old guy as to why he's in his house late at night! Oscar never moves an inch the entire time. LOL!

Magnum's expressions and the look on Oscar's face as all of this is going down is just hilarious! Oh, and Patch McKenzie (in a night gown) is also observing this whole bizarre situation going down, which just adds to the greatness of the scene. ;)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Yes, that whole "stay right there while I dig out my gun and load it" scene was absolutely hilarious!

From the episode Notes:
2 The script for this episode was written by Caroline Elias. This is her only credited work on the IMDB.
IMDb also lists a hairdresser named Carolyn Elias -- who worked on Magnum! IMDb actually seems to have split her into three people (http://www.imdb.com/find?q=Caroline%20E ... &ex=1&nr=1), probably due to her habit of using several variations on her name.

Minor comment on the parenthetical remark following Quote #1: Rick is presumably dressed as a liquor-store (rather than bakery) delivery man, since he tells the security guard that he has "muscatel for the penthouse."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, thanks Carol. I really appreciate all of these episode guide corrections. I want the guide to be as thorough and as precise as possible.

"So much information, so little time"....