5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

Sinjin
Lieutenant

Re: Ghost Writer (2.12)

#51 Post by Sinjin »

terryfromkerry wrote:Another memorable Elisha Cook Jnr performance immediately comes to mind.
I am thinking of "Shane", particularly his gunfight scene with Jack Palance on a muddy rain swept main street. One of those cinematic moments that stay with you forever.
Thanks Terry. I remember that scene as well. His characters often met their fate on the wrong end of a gun, but they were almost always memorable scenes. It was refreshing to see him play against type as Ice Pick.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#52 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I actually really enjoyed this one. My main gripe is that the opening scene didn't make complete sense to me. I understand TC was paid a huge sum of money by the Farber people to make deliveries. The fact that it was some kind of dangerous material never came into play the rest of the episode nor did the fact that they were supposedly worried about competitors.

I thought this one had a little of everything that was classic to Magnum. You had comedy (Rick saying no more disguises only to be seen in one the next scene), action (the fight on the roof), a mystery to solve (whom was trashing the writer's rooms), Magnum and Higgins banter (the scene where Higgins demands the car keys), TC making the save despite his protests (the chopper landing), and a little military day recall (Magnum discussing his Naval Intelligence days with the client).

EZiller
Captain

#53 Post by EZiller »

An entertaining comedic episode. Season 2 has it share of duds, but this is better than most. Notable for Elisha Cook Jr in a pre-Icepick role, playing a wino standing in for Farber, a billionaire recluse along the lines of Howard Hughes. A bit of a dumb script, but I thought Patch McKenzie [terrible name!] was an absolute doll as Virginia Fowler, the ghost writer. Top ten MPI babe. Her and TM really had some playful sexual chemistry going.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#54 Post by Dave Anderson »

This episode was a little too far fetched for me, but still entertaining. There were funny parts, and Virginia Fowler was hot. The plot was too over the top though.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted Ghost Writer a 7.0 [Average at Best]

I was actually dreading this one as its turn came in my run through of the entire series but a few things redeemed it for me. One was the classic scene of Magnum going into his closet, rifling through his bags, and finally producing his gun. However, the angle of the shooter who had the reclining-on-the-guesthouse-couch Thomas dead in his sights looked like another of those impossible angles. I wasn't sure where in relation to the guesthouse the shooter was. To me he just suddenly appeared on the guesthouse stairs. The other is TC foregoing his business agreement with the Farber group in order to come to the aid of his friend.

Other than what I just mentioned, Ghost Writer has very little going for it. In fact, it's one of my least favorite episodes of the series, despite the lenient rating I've given it. I don't like that so much of the episode takes place in a parking garage. If I saw one more shot of that elevator. The large amount of time spent in those enclosed areas make me think that this was a "Bottle Show", when budgetary constraints force the production to rely on one set or remain indoors for much of the shoot. It may not be the case here, but it makes me wonder; why not take more advantage of the gorgeous Hawaiian scenery?

Some random observations: Rick wears a red version of that blue bamboo sticks shirt he's worn in other episodes. He also wears a weird yellow shirt with nearly matching khaki pants in another scene.

When Rick and T.C. are en route to the Farber building, it appears that T.C. is piloting the chopper because the street view and ocean can be seen off in the distance when all we were actually seeing was the chopper parked atop a roof while the camera moved slightly to give the illusion of flight. Funny.

Alan Fudge was a fine character actor with numerous roles on 1970s TV, but he gets very little to do here except take punches from Rick in the rooftop fight finale.

I liked the lingering shot on Thomas's Chronosport watch.

Patch McKenzie reminds me a bit of Helen Mirren, at least in the eyes and perhaps her nose. She wears some then-stylish early '80s outfits and sports a big feathered hairstyle that I remember many women having back then. Those clothes and hair styles would become increasingly ugly by mid decade.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Milton Collins »

Ok this one was downright silly and I just couldn't get into it and gave it a 6.5. I like the silly, funny episodes for the most part but I thought this one crossed a line to downright stupid! Just my humble opinion:) There were a few things that were actually redeeming though:

- Patch Mackenzie, wow what a knockout! And Magnum being the consumate professional he always is turned her down, but clearly regretted it instantly and I don't blame him lol. Also her hotel was absolutely phenomenal, what a view!

- I couldn't help but laugh when Rick and TM are arguing at the club about Magnum holding back who the book is about and then Rick being hesitant to help and didn't want to dress up as any "postmen, delivery men, just no men" lol. Next thing you know he's delivering wine and pretty much shoving it into Barker's face as he jacks his key and makes an imprint, totally hilarious.

- It was almost too much to see Elisha Cook playing the foolish drunken Farber lol. I know this was years before he played Icepick on the show but he's too good an actor as a whole to play that ridiculous little part. I wonder if they had plans for him to become Icepick at that point or if it was just designed to be a one and done? I'm guessing not as there was another actor who played Icepick before Cook did.

- Higgins absolute assurance that he could find TC a suitable investment was great. His neverending snobbish arrogance and expertise in pretty much EVERYTHING never ceases to crack me up. It also really adds to the Higgins character! His cheesy grin as TC is turning down Magnum's offer for big bucks to pick them up from the Farber building was great too. I loved both conversations between TC and Higgins regarding investment opportunities, TC constantly braggin about "a few thou to invest" was absolutely hilarious!

As always every Magnum episode is good in some way, this one was just not one of my favorites.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:Elisha Cooke Jnr ( then 80 approx) features here in a role before he appeared as " Icepick".

I will always remember him as the young "gunsel" in The Maltese Falcon. "Bogey" slaps him around a bit. When he protests "Bogey" says "when I slap you , you'll take it and like it"......... classic.
Check out this link http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gunsel as it relates to the use of "gunsel" to describe Elisha Cook's character Wilmer.
Hi Terry,
All three of the bad guys were homosexual in The Maltese Falcon. Elisha Cooke's Wilmer, Greenstreet's Gutman and Peter Lorre's Joel Cairo.
If you listen closely in the Bogie version it's clear(in a 1940's way) Wilmer has succeeded Joel Cairo as Gutman's 'boy'. After Wilmer flees, Cairo is overjoyed when Gutman once again invites him to be his companion and continue looking for the falcon.
The earlier filmed Ricardo Cortez version actually makes clearer the relationships in the flick. Sam Spade is a total bastard in regards to women and much less a "hero" to be rooted for, which is actually truer to the storyline. It's ironic that the greatness of Bogie's acting as Spade slightly sabotages the sense of the plot but what the heck its a small price to pay.
Anyway the Cortez Maltese Falcon compliments nicely the immortal 1941 remake, its well worth checking out, but only after seeing the Bogie 'Sam Spade' first.
One last minor point and I hope I'm not nitpicking but it's Joel Cairo, not Wilmer, Bogie slaps in his office and tells him to like it.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by terryfromkerry »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:Elisha Cooke Jnr ( then 80 approx) features here in a role before he appeared as " Icepick".

I will always remember him as the young "gunsel" in The Maltese Falcon. "Bogey" slaps him around a bit. When he protests "Bogey" says "when I slap you , you'll take it and like it"......... classic.
Check out this link http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gunsel as it relates to the use of "gunsel" to describe Elisha Cook's character Wilmer.
Hi Terry,
All three of the bad guys were homosexual in The Maltese Falcon. Elisha Cooke's Wilmer, Greenstreet's Gutman and Peter Lorre's Joel Cairo.
If you listen closely in the Bogie version it's clear(in a 1940's way) Wilmer has succeeded Joel Cairo as Gutman's 'boy'. After Wilmer flees, Cairo is overjoyed when Gutman once again invites him to be his companion and continue looking for the falcon.
The earlier filmed Ricardo Cortez version actually makes clearer the relationships in the flick. Sam Spade is a total bastard in regards to women and much less a "hero" to be rooted for, which is actually truer to the storyline. It's ironic that the greatness of Bogie's acting as Spade slightly sabotages the sense of the plot but what the heck its a small price to pay.
Anyway the Cortez Maltese Falcon compliments nicely the immortal 1941 remake, its well worth checking out, but only after seeing the Bogie 'Sam Spade' first.
One last minor point and I hope I'm not nitpicking but it's Joel Cairo, not Wilmer, Bogie slaps in his office and tells him to like it.
Hi Luther,
You are an excellant movie buff. I looked up the earlier version on IMDB. Made in 1931. There are a few scenes from this version on Youtube. Having watched these I see what you mean. Interesting stuff and as you said Spade seems like a real sleeze with the ladies in this version. I must have another look at the Bogart version I can see it on my DVD shelf beside Key Largo, The Big Sleep & Casablanca. Always a pleasure to learn something new and interesting from my fellow mania brothers and sisters. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by KingKC »

This is another one that gets rated below 8 when I would have been above 8. I clearly remember this episode from 35 years ago. At first I thought it was just another damsel in distress show but Patch McKenzie has to be one of the best looking damsels that ever appeared on the show or television for that matter. Elisha Cook was great and I remember him as being the last surviving cast member of The Maltese Falcon, a favorite movie of mine. The butler was a stock actor who fit perfect in the part. TC saves the day with a helicopter appearance. Rick gets conned into role delivering Muscatel of all things. A little sci-fi with cryogenics in 1981 of all times! Again this was early in the series and silly, or zany, episodes were just accepted as we were a long way from the themes developed very well as the seasons went on. Heck, we had just been introduced to Michelle a few weeks earlier. We had no idea how deep the show would be.

KingKC

Triathlon
Ensign

#60 Post by Triathlon »

I'am amazed about all the flubs that you have seen. But there is one that I'am wondering about.
When Magnum is locked-up togehter with Virgnia, Mrs. Ballard and the fake Harold Farber, behind the man with monitor you can see a glimpse of a nurse thru the window. Is this a flub? Because I haven't noticed any other people before in building.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by ENSHealy »

T.C. changing his mind about not helping Magnum and arriving *dead on time* with Rick;
I took this as one of the (first?) instances of TM's friends being able to sense when he is in danger. Of course the most obvious example is 4.1 Home from the Sea. It's not that he changes his mind, he just senses that TM is in real danger. Also, although we all know the guys would all lay down their lives for each other, they rarely (if ever?) speak of it, so I found T.C.'s line when they spot Thomas on the roof interesting: “There’s my Thomas! Here we come, baby!” It just seemed a tad outside the "macho line" they usually adhere to.

Elisha Cook's makeup (and his role) is so bad it almost kills the whole episode. The only reason I bumped it up to 7.5 was Patch Mackenzie and the fact that in at least two of her outfits, she seems to have taken the Charlies Angels approach to foundational garments.

As far as what T.C. was delivering, even though the container was totally wrong for it, I always assumed we were supposed to believe it was whatever cryogenic agent the bad guys were using to keep Farber frozen. Which would explain the heavy gloves they used to carry the case also.

Last but not least, for the sniper to have drawn a bead on Thomas lying on the couch like he did, he would have to have been aiming through the window on the stairwell landing. For that to work, the shooter would have to have been about 30 feet in the air over the property next door (assuming the actual estate layout) or over the tidal pool (assuming the guest houses fictional location behind the main house portico).
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

f14peter
Lieutenant

#62 Post by f14peter »

another security camera flub, besides the well-known one of the so-called ceiling mounted camera giving us a shot of Magnum at the door from about three feet off the floor ... the video feed the security officer watches as the ceiling mounted camera pans about the room is without any doubt what so ever shot handheld, equally without doubt by a cameraman on a ladder. The movement of the camera is wobbly and doesn't follow an even arc as it pans. The biggest tell is at one point, the lens and part of the body of the camera actually mounted in the room appears in the upper-right corner of the screen.

karolis
Admiral

#63 Post by karolis »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I actually really enjoyed this one. My main gripe is that the opening scene didn't make complete sense to me. I understand TC was paid a huge sum of money by the Farber people to make deliveries. The fact that it was some kind of dangerous material never came into play the rest of the episode nor did the fact that they were supposedly worried about competitors.
ENSHealy wrote:As far as what T.C. was delivering, even though the container was totally wrong for it, I always assumed we were supposed to believe it was whatever cryogenic agent the bad guys were using to keep Farber frozen. Which would explain the heavy gloves they used to carry the case also.
I actually though that T.C. was delivering some kind of cryogenic stuff too. T.C. even used a glove, it indicated to me that this stuff may be freezing.

Last edited by karolis on Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

karolis
Admiral

#64 Post by karolis »

Personal Season Two episodes top up to this one:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. The Woman on the Beach
5. Dead Man’s Channel
6. Wave Goodbye
7. Ghost Writer
8. The Sixth Position