6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 106

grundle
Admiral

#16 Post by grundle »

grundle wrote:The Pittsburgh RTN station played "The Jororo Kill" on Monday. The scene in France had the same English subtitles that are on the DVD. It also had the opening teaser, and the season 2 opening. I think they may be playing the DVD, or at least a tape from the master that was used to make the DVD.

They played it again on Wednesday night. And again, it had the subtitles, and the season 2 opening. But the opening teaser was not played. I guess they wanted more time for commercials.
Last edited by grundle on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grundle
Admiral

#17 Post by grundle »

I don't know if this is a flub or not, but Magnum starts to smile before Higgins tells him that David Bannister liked to dress up as a woman.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#18 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:Lastly, the denouement features a Robin's Nest indoor set I don't think I've ever seen before. It's a room with dark-colored brick that is adjacent to Higgins' study. Am I missing something? Was this set only used for ONE brief scene?

I was watching "Mac's Back" today and noticed the same brick when TM was standing in the outside doorway of the study.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Olivier
Rear Admiral

Re: wine cellar scene

#19 Post by Olivier »

eeyore wrote:When Higgins and Magnum are talking in the wine cellar, there is a shot of the steps behind them. Looks like the steps down into the guesthouse. I wonder if they "recycled" the stage set.
Yes I think they do.

ImageImage

Six identical steps with the first larger. They closed the half of the window.

For this episode I noticed "David Banister" has exactly the same bicycle as Magnum in "Beauty knows no pain" ([1.18] when he competes in the Ironman Triathlon).

ImageImage

It' s a "Piaggio" (italian brand) : Image

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice catch guys. Apparently I am not watching close enough!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#21 Post by rubber chicken »

Very interesting! The same knife was also used in multiple episodes - the Buck Special.

Lt. Dupree
Lieutenant

#22 Post by Lt. Dupree »

FYI for Rubber Chicken: The 'South of France' scene is the La Pietra School for Girls (http://www.lapietra.edu/). The site was used numerous times in Magnum for a variety of episodes. La Pietra is an admired school in Honolulu.

La Pietra is located at the southwest face of Diamond Head and close to the studios. If you go to the La Pietra site, click on 'Campus Photos'. You will be able to recognize the buildings and the elegant entrance.

Kaumakapilli Church is just NW of downtown Honolulu. Next door is Tamashiro Market -- a famous seafood store for locals. Much of the crew purchased poki and lomi lomi salmon from Tamashiro on the day of the shoot.

Across the street from Kaumakapili is Princess Ka'iulani School, an elementary one, named after a famous Hawaiian princess whom died at an early age. I taught reading there from 1986-1990.

There are photos I have of Tom and I reading the sports page from the set of 'The Jororo Kill' as well as one with Tom, Tyne Daly, and I in a scene atthe front of the church. I will try to share those soon. I had just a small silent bit in the 'Jororo', my first one.

I think the 'Jororo' story may have been paralled to the orginal film, 'The Day of the Jackel'. On set, the actor (nun) was so well costumed I think it confused some of the testosterone that day.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#23 Post by rubber chicken »

Hi Andy, let me give you another (late) welcome to site! It's great to hear from people connected to the show!

Thanks for pointing out the locations. These are what I have...

I have the La Pietra School for Girls location being used for two episodes. Fellow forum member Sam first pointed it out to me. So far I know of it being used for...

"The South of France" in The Jororo Kill (2.13)
&
"The Palace of King Fernando Mongueo" in Who is Don Luis Higgins, and Why is He Doing These Terrible Things to Me? (6.19)

And of course as you well know, Kaumakapili Church was "Our Lady of the Holy Veil convent" in The Jororo Kill (2.13)

Thanks for mentioning Tamashiro Market, it sounds like a wonderful place to eat. Did you ever visit the Chinese bakery Shung Chong Yuein on Maunakea Street in Chinatown? It was seen in Little Girl Who (7.7), and probably other episodes. I've never been to Oahu, let alone that bakery, but I was sad to discover that it closed in 2007 after 45 years in business (due to the retirement of the owner).

I see the Princess Ka'iulani School opened in 1899, the year of her death. Sad that she was only 23 years old.

I'm sure everyone here would love to see your photos!

The Day of the Jackal is one of my favorite movies, although I've only seen it a few times. It's fascinating to watch Edward Fox going about all the steps necessary to carry out his task.

Someone in these photos looks familiar... :)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lt. Dupree
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Lt. Dupree »

Thanks for the welcome Rubber Chicken. But...

Geepers! How does everyone get those pics? I have very few. Yep, me though. Thanks. I think I still have that tie somewhere.

Cannot remember if we have ever been to Shung Chong. Likely have passed by it. I was 'on call' while those scene's were being shot. There are many hole in the wall restaurants in China Town and most are really good.

One place I would go to on Sunday morning for my kids was located on Pauahi and Smith (no name). We would buy 'manapua' (char su pork bun) and 'pork hash' (a steamed pork dumpling). I think the little place supplied numerous businesses with the products.

The Hotel Street/China Town area used to be the place for ranky strip clubs, hookers, and the like. Sometimes, the smells were a cross of chop suey, cat urine mixed with pavement, and topped-off with bus exhaust. The area is crowded on any day and busy at 8am and 5pm. Don't know if that has changed.

Just near Nimitz and Maunakea, I had my first 'fried tofu' dinner. The dinner had a sheet of tofu, mac salad, and some dipping sauce.

Also FYI, whenever we were downtown shooting some of the crew would go to another little place on River Street and Kukui. Do not remember the name. Could have been named Hanagasa Inn. However, they served great Teriyaki and a dish called 'chicken adobo'. The chicken adobo being the first choice.

After a night of too many mai tai's at the 'Top Of the I' (since renamed), I would get the chicken adobo. The dish seemed to take the edge off of the previous evening.

Another FYI, Julie Nickson ('model girl', Rambo) was proposed too by the owner of the new Top of the I and Nicolas Nicholas. She did not accept. I last saw Julie in Beverly Hills fall of 2000.

Sorry for dovetailing

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

The pictures are screenshots that are taken from the Magnum P.I. DVDs when playing them on our computers. So when you mentioned your part in this episode, I thought I'd seek it out and let others see without going back to the dvd themselves. :)
... the smells were a cross of chop suey, cat urine mixed with pavement, and topped-off with bus exhaust.
Thank you, I almost feel as if I'm there!

You've mentioned Hawaiian Heat in other posts. I wish a DVD for the show would come out so I could see it.

And thanks again for you posts and remembrances in the forum. Go ahead and dovetail as much as you like, I read each of your posts with great interest.

Lt. Dupree
Lieutenant

#26 Post by Lt. Dupree »

Rubber Chicken, please try this site:

http://journeyphoto.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... -heat.html

I also have a copy of 'A Different Kind of Justice' episode, which I appeared. Shelly Winters gave me an on-set standing ovation for my performance.

In the episode, 'Ancient Fires' I did a stunt.

FYI, during the filming season, Magnum and Heat were hopeful of a Tigers-Cubs World Series for marketing purposes. Magnum having the 'D' hat and Mack having the 'C' hat.

Only Detroit made it that year.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#27 Post by rubber chicken »

Interesting, I wish them luck in gathering all the episodes together. If it doesn't come out on dvd, maybe it will show up on hulu or a similar site. Or maybe a show has to be on dvd before being there.

When I think of Shelly Winters I picture her "underwater" scene (don't want to spoil it) from Night of the Hunter. That left an impression on me even though I saw it 50 years after being made. One of my favorite movies, and sadly the only one Charles Laughton ever directed.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

"J.G." hooked me up with this one...
"Nuns don't work on Sunday", and they also don't wear wedding rings! In every scene where David Bannister (Christopher Morley) is disguised as a nun, he is wearing a wedding ring! The ring is most visible at the beginning of the episode when he uses the remote detonator, and at the end in the Our Lady of the Holy Veil balcony scene when he is assembling his rifle. Oddly, when disguised as military staff at the Honolulu Airport, and when disguised as a blonde woman, he is ringless! The ring "cheater mark" is visible on his ring finger when he is zipping open the explosives bag in the drum in the van.
Too funny!! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

I attended Catholic school from 3rd-8th grade and the nuns wore wedding rings.

http://anunslife.org/2008/11/20/why-do- ... ding-ring/

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#30 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks Sam.

David Bannister had everything planned out to a tee, didn't he. He pops on the fidelity ring when he's a nun, then takes it off when he is a chick.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!