3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 106

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Jororo Kill (2.13)

#61 Post by KingKC »

Tyne Daly was great! Christopher Morley/David Bannister "creeped me out" big time! Great show though.

KingKC

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ENSHealy »

I gave this one an Average 7.0. As some others have said on here, I just found Kate Sullivan annoying, and I'm one that actually finds her quite physically attractive in this episode. Some of the comments on here, however, also have me wondering if I don't like her due to underlying undiagnosed misogyny. She totally embodies the "ball-breaker" character that strong feminists will tell you we'd all love if they were dudes (Patton, anyone?). That "I'm not looking for vacations" crack really sat wrong with me, but maybe that's because she was being to harsh with "my Thomas" (to quote T.C. in "Ghost Writer").
(Incidentally, I think they should have built up her left shoe and had her walk with "actual" different length legs instead of having her try to fake it by curling her left foot under. I found that very distracting.)

Flub? In her old news story from Vietnam, Kate says about the soldiers in their pre-war lives "they played football on Sundays." Apparently the Marines were recruiting only from the NFL during that period of the war, as those are the only guys playing football on Sundays. I suppose she could have been referencing pick-up games after church, but I think it would have been better if she'd have said "Friday nights."

Finally, did anyone else notice this is the second episode "solved because it's Sunday"? In the pilot, the key moment is when TM realizes the Navy doesn't do gunnery practice on Sundays in peacetime, and therefore realizes the Navy patrol boat off of Kahoolawe had to be a fake.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

karolis
Admiral

#63 Post by karolis »

IslandHopper wrote:MPI collectors may find this interesting. During the last scene when TC and Rick are listening in on Higgins' wine tasting, the telephone/intercom they are listening in on is a "Radio Shack Duofone 16." The thing I found interesting about this is that the word "Shack" in Radio Shack is blacked out by an oval piece of tape or other material, so only the word "Radio" is visible. Even with the word "Shack" blacked out, it is still obvious that the phone is a Radio Shack as their font style is distinctive, not to mention that the black oval piece of tape is oddly out of place on the phone. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by their attempt to hide a product name since MPI has used fictitious names for various products throughout the series, e.g., Coops, Old Düsseldorf, Tiller Beer, Flagler Beer, Day-N-Dark, etc. But, then again, there were many brand names used during the show, e.g., Ferrari, Audi, VW, Rolex, Seiko, Royal (Higgins’ Typewriter), Puma, Safeway, Izod/Lacoste, Gatorade, Diet Coke, various team names (Detroit Tigers, Atlanta Falcons, Los Angeles Lakers). :? The different brand names and fictional names used on the show might make an interesting thread.

The scene itself was great because Rick, in an effort to turn up the volume on the phone/intercom hits the wrong button and releases tear gas on Higgins and his fellow wine connoisseurs. This is ironic because Higgins presumably installed this as a security precaution to be used on Magnum when he is caught pilfering wine. As the gas is pouring out from beneath the closed door, you can hear Higgins say (above all of the coughing and choking sounds) "Magnum, you irresponsible cretin..." :lol:

Excellent episode.
Here's the closer look to intercom:

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. The Woman on the Beach
5 The Jororo Kill
6. Dead Man’s Channel
7. Wave Goodbye
8. Ghost Writer
9. The Sixth Position
10. From Moscow to Maui
11. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
12. Billy Joe Bob
13. Mad Buck Gibson

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Does anyone know the hotel that Magnum tries to sneak into (where Zulu from "Five-O" is the hotel doorman)? Looks like a hotel in Waikiki but I can't place it. When Santos is sitting on the hotel balcony you can see a yacht harbor behind him which is almost certainly the Ala Wai yacht harbor, something you might see from the Ilikai hotel (just outside of Waikiki), but this doesn't look like the hotel to which Magnum pulls up in his Ferrari. Most likely these are 2 different hotels. Anyone have any ideas?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Sam »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Does anyone know the hotel that Magnum tries to sneak into (where Zulu from "Five-O" is the hotel doorman)? Looks like a hotel in Waikiki but I can't place it. When Santos is sitting on the hotel balcony you can see a yacht harbor behind him which is almost certainly the Ala Wai yacht harbor, something you might see from the Ilikai hotel (just outside of Waikiki), but this doesn't look like the hotel to which Magnum pulls up in his Ferrari. Most likely these are 2 different hotels. Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Ivan.
The hotel where he meets Zulu is the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa... the address is on Kalakaua.. but he pulls up on the side street which is..Ohua Ave

The hotel where Kate meets Santos is The Modern Honolulu.. at the time of the filming that was part of the Ilikai Hotel.

Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Sam wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Does anyone know the hotel that Magnum tries to sneak into (where Zulu from "Five-O" is the hotel doorman)? Looks like a hotel in Waikiki but I can't place it. When Santos is sitting on the hotel balcony you can see a yacht harbor behind him which is almost certainly the Ala Wai yacht harbor, something you might see from the Ilikai hotel (just outside of Waikiki), but this doesn't look like the hotel to which Magnum pulls up in his Ferrari. Most likely these are 2 different hotels. Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Ivan.
The hotel where he meets Zulu is the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa... the address is on Kalakaua.. but he pulls up on the side street which is..Ohua Ave

The hotel where Kate meets Santos is The Modern Honolulu.. at the time of the filming that was part of the Ilikai Hotel.
Thanks Sam. That was actually my first thought - the Marriott (which back then was the Hawaiian Regent) but there wasn't enough there for me to confirm that's what it was. I would have been able to recognize it by its exterior and its balconies but they never showed it, just Magnum pulling up to the entrance and then walking through a courtyard which I'm not familiar with. Interesting thing is I'm going to Hawaii later this summer and narrowed down my hotels of choice to either the Marriott or the Hyatt, but ultimately I went with the Hyatt (looks nicer overall) though Marriott looks nice too. Last time I was there I would swim right in front of the Hyatt (I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beachside right next door, which is currently closed for renovation, also next door to the Waikiki Circle Hotel) so I guess I'll be swimming in the same spot again. The Hyatt was also featured in "Thicker Than Blood" when Magnum tries to con Mac for naval info - looks like there's a really nice outdoor area there on a roof with waterfalls and such.

Also I figured the balcony scenes must have been the Ilikai or one of those hotels there. Thanks for confirming. By the way, how did you track down those 2 hotels? Just curious.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Sam »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Sam wrote:
Hi Ivan.

Thanks Sam. That was actually my first thought - the Marriott (which back then was the Hawaiian Regent) but there wasn't enough there for me to confirm that's what it was. I would have been able to recognize it by its exterior and its balconies but they never showed it, just Magnum pulling up to the entrance and then walking through a courtyard which I'm not familiar with. Interesting thing is I'm going to Hawaii later this summer and narrowed down my hotels of choice to either the Marriott or the Hyatt, but ultimately I went with the Hyatt (looks nicer overall) though Marriott looks nice too. Last time I was there I would swim right in front of the Hyatt (I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beachside right next door, which is currently closed for renovation, also next door to the Waikiki Circle Hotel) so I guess I'll be swimming in the same spot again. The Hyatt was also featured in "Thicker Than Blood" when Magnum tries to con Mac for naval info - looks like there's a really nice outdoor area there on a roof with waterfalls and such.

Also I figured the balcony scenes must have been the Ilikai or one of those hotels there. Thanks for confirming. By the way, how did you track down those 2 hotels? Just curious.
Hi Ivan.... there was an establishing shot of the Marriott it was a shot of the Ferrari.. I'll see if I can get it posted.

The Marriott was also used for the Hotel Dick and who is Don Luis Higgins..

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:
Hi Ivan.... there was an establishing shot of the Marriott it was a shot of the Ferrari.. I'll see if I can get it posted.
(Posting pic for Sam)...

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:
(Posting pic for Sam)...

Thanks RG.... as Ralph Kramden used to say you're the greatest

Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Thanks Sam and Rembrandt's Girl. But where did you get that screenshot of the Ferrari against those Marriott balconies? I didn't see it in the episode, even for a split second. When does this occur?

I haven't gotten to Hotel Dick and Who is Don Luis yet. I've only watched the first 3 seasons but I do own the entire box set :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Sam »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Thanks Sam and Rembrandt's Girl. But where did you get that screenshot of the Ferrari against those Marriott balconies? I didn't see it in the episode, even for a split second. When does this occur?

I haven't gotten to Hotel Dick and Who is Don Luis yet. I've only watched the first 3 seasons but I do own the entire box set :)
Hi Ivan.... it was used as an establishing shot TM went to meet Kate at her hotel... but the hotel he met her at was the same hotel where Kate met Santos.
Establishing shot was somewhere around the 30- 32 minute mark.

Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Sam wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Thanks Sam and Rembrandt's Girl. But where did you get that screenshot of the Ferrari against those Marriott balconies? I didn't see it in the episode, even for a split second. When does this occur?

Hi Ivan.... it was used as an establishing shot TM went to meet Kate at her hotel... but the hotel he met her at was the same hotel where Kate met Santos.
Establishing shot was somewhere around the 30- 32 minute mark.
Ah ok, thanks Sam. Just found it - at the 31 minute mark. Just after the commercial break.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by ENSHealy »

2.13 THE JORORO KILL
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count: 1
Magnum shot:
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice: 2
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI: 1 no book mention, but two rules cited
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars: 1 Tyne Daly
Higgins Organizations: 1 Societe de Vin, Head of the Acquisition Committee
Magnumometer: 10

Potential magnumania usernames: David Banister

What uniform is David Banister wearing when he gets off the plane and goes through customs?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Gorilla Mask »

great scenario and a great villain as a master of disguise. The double twisted plot justifies a very good mark for me and the last action scene too (Nuns never work on sunday !)

this reminds me a McGyver episode (i guess it was "partners" during season two) where McGyver reminds with his old friend Pete his first encounter with Murdoc, another assassin and master of disguise...

... any link between both scenarios ? :?
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

chitoryu12
Ensign

#75 Post by chitoryu12 »

I liked this one. While the "transvestite" thing is insensitive today, it's a generally good disguise for an assassin. Kate and Magnum have actual chemistry and a believable years-long relationship and her portrayal by Tyne Daly is worlds ahead of many of the mediocre-to-bad girls of the week that the show has. The plot moves clearly and understandably with legitimately earned reveals, actual drama with Kate's ambitions taking her too far in her desire for newfound relevancy (without ever having her cross the line into outright villainy), and clues that make sense.