6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 106

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MaximRecoil »

snp389 wrote:I've just noticed a FLUB in 2.13 'The Jororo Kill'. At the climax scene where TM shoots 'Bannister', TM is not carrying his usual Colt .45 Auto pistol. He is in fact carrying a Beretta 92 9mm pistol. I can only assume that on the day of filming, the armourer may have had some issues with the usual Colt .45 prop and it's ability to fire blanks. Or the Continuity staff had a brain fart.
Not a flub. Magnum picked that Beretta up off the floor in the church. One of the agents that was shot dropped it.

snp389
Captain

#52 Post by snp389 »

My apologies. I should have looked closer.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#53 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:When Higgins said "Sadly that's the only type of scandal we seem to have" (can't quote it true to the word) this made me laugh out loud! Even when I lived in the UK during the 1990's there were so many sex scandals in UK politics.
I thought that mention of sex scandals was quite bold for an early 80's show watched by many kids.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it seems that the receptionist from Thank God For... has changed jobs and now works the reception of a different hotel.

With this episode I have the same problem I had with Mercedes McCambridge in an earlier episode: I can't stand Tyne Daly.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: The Jororo Kill (2.13)

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

One of my favorite episodes. My favorite line of the whole series is "Nuns don't work on Sundays." It was one of those times where Magnum picked up on something just in time to save his life.

The only major gripe I had in this one was that they made Kate just a little too unlikeable. It wasn't really explained why THIS story was so important that she was willing to risk lives. It came off as she just wanted exsclusives at any price.

I'd have liked to have seen Kate pop up in a couple of future episodes, but Tyne was probably unavailable at that point. I think they could've done some more with the character.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#55 Post by magnumette »

I agree with sign guy . Nuns don't work on Sundays is one of my favorite lines of whole series. It shows how razor sharp and lucky Magnum is. His mind and his training don't take a break even though he may engage in comical banter, his mind doesn't miss a lick! Just like Higgins vast knowledge TM is in the range of having a believable skill set. This is one of my fave episodes -a 10. I love Tyne Daly's character -it is excellent in exploring common theme-what do you do if your career goes away -what kind of person are you. Magnum, Rick, Higgins and TC have all found post war careers. Ms Chase- the ballet dancer, Mad Buck and here as well explore the reality of summer ending and fall setting in. At one point aren't we all 33 , never having been 23? ( or feeling that we missed out on 23 in any case?)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#56 Post by marlboro »

Just rewatched this one. I'm not usually a Tyne Daly, but she was good in this episode.

I think it would have been better to not show the killer in drag multiple times throughout the episode. Show the killings, but not who is doing them. I think it's always preferable to have the audience and the protagonist work out the mystery at the same time. Have Higgins mention that there was some sort of "sex scandal" but nothing specific about transvestism. Let Magnum figure it out at the very last second. That would have given the ending even more impact.

Good episode. Better than I remembered it being. I miss the "fun" T.C. from these early seasons.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Milton Collins »

I know I'm in the minority here but I thought this one was pretty average and gave it a 7.5. I did think the villain was very creative and well played by Christopher Morley, he couldn't have been creepier as the cross dressing David Bannister! Honestly I think my biggest issue was Kate Sullivan. I just found her character to be very annoying and I've never seen Tyne Daly anywhere else but I found her acting performance to be just as annoying. I'm sure I'll catch some flack on here for that but just being honest:) I'm not by any means saying this was a bad episode, I liked the nam ties and again a very creepy and enigmatic villain! Just not one that stood out to me in a fantastic second season, one of the very best in my opinion. I will say Higgins picking out the "acceptable" wines for Magnum was dang funny and I also enjoyed Rick conning Mac on the fishing trip without him knowing. I always liked the original Mac character a ton.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#58 Post by marlboro »

I'm not a fan of Tyne Daly either. She's talented, and I think she did a good job playing her part in this episode, but I just don't like her. Maybe I've just seen her play too many ballbreaker type roles.

eltonsean
Captain

#59 Post by eltonsean »

I LOVE this episode. It's one of my top ten for sure, probably in my top 5. I think having the villain being a cross-dresser was a brilliant idea and really made this episode unique and memorable. and Tyne Daly's performance as the "down on her luck, willing to do anything to get back her career", character was award-worthy. Daly has been nominated for the Emmy Award a total of 17 times; she has won 6 times. Some people on here find her annoying, and that seems odd to me. Yes, she's a strong female, not easily likeable, a ball-breaker, but she's damn good at it! Her character Kate Sullivan has clearly developed a dark side due to the pain of losing her career because of her injury in Nam. And Tyne Daly really was able to show that deep seeded anger. When TM makes light of the idea that she got a trip to Hawaii out of the Santos story, Kate Sullivan responds with the line: "I'm not looking for vacations". Wow! the way she said that line and the look of death she gave TM... really intense and dark! So edgy and full of resentment. This role needed an actress who could act angry and even dangerous and Tyne Daly nailed it. IMHO, of course :wink:
"Living well is the best revenge".

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#60 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:I rated this as Excellent [9.0]. I've never watched an episode of Cagney & Lacey in my life (I had to look up who was who in that show!), but whenever I've seen Tyne Daly in a guest starring role, she's impressed me. Here she carries the show, emotionally speaking. We get some idea of her backstory, and Magnum's playing Kate's old Vietnam battlefield report and her subsequent--and extremely convincing breakdown--made the episode for me.

Great outdoor photography, as everything looked good. There was no doubt that Thomas would take care of things, and the rare Rick-Mac interaction scene was a gem, but I once again point to Daly's performance as the crowning achievement here.
When I re-watched The Jororo Kill last week I came to write my updated thoughts on this still-rates-a-9.0 episode--I'm rewatching the entire series in order--but when I checked what I wrote above four years ago, I realized that what I saw as the strengths of this excellent episode are unchanged! However, I will add that The Jororo Kill is another of those "international intrigue" stories that worked for Magnum so well. I wouldn't have minded a return visit from Tyne Daly-as-Kate Sullivan but of course the actress would spend the rest of the decade winning Emmys for her role on Cagney & Lacey (which I still haven't seen!).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by KingKC »

Tyne Daly was great! Christopher Morley/David Bannister "creeped me out" big time! Great show though.

KingKC

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ENSHealy »

I gave this one an Average 7.0. As some others have said on here, I just found Kate Sullivan annoying, and I'm one that actually finds her quite physically attractive in this episode. Some of the comments on here, however, also have me wondering if I don't like her due to underlying undiagnosed misogyny. She totally embodies the "ball-breaker" character that strong feminists will tell you we'd all love if they were dudes (Patton, anyone?). That "I'm not looking for vacations" crack really sat wrong with me, but maybe that's because she was being to harsh with "my Thomas" (to quote T.C. in "Ghost Writer").
(Incidentally, I think they should have built up her left shoe and had her walk with "actual" different length legs instead of having her try to fake it by curling her left foot under. I found that very distracting.)

Flub? In her old news story from Vietnam, Kate says about the soldiers in their pre-war lives "they played football on Sundays." Apparently the Marines were recruiting only from the NFL during that period of the war, as those are the only guys playing football on Sundays. I suppose she could have been referencing pick-up games after church, but I think it would have been better if she'd have said "Friday nights."

Finally, did anyone else notice this is the second episode "solved because it's Sunday"? In the pilot, the key moment is when TM realizes the Navy doesn't do gunnery practice on Sundays in peacetime, and therefore realizes the Navy patrol boat off of Kahoolawe had to be a fake.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

karolis
Admiral

#63 Post by karolis »

IslandHopper wrote:MPI collectors may find this interesting. During the last scene when TC and Rick are listening in on Higgins' wine tasting, the telephone/intercom they are listening in on is a "Radio Shack Duofone 16." The thing I found interesting about this is that the word "Shack" in Radio Shack is blacked out by an oval piece of tape or other material, so only the word "Radio" is visible. Even with the word "Shack" blacked out, it is still obvious that the phone is a Radio Shack as their font style is distinctive, not to mention that the black oval piece of tape is oddly out of place on the phone. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by their attempt to hide a product name since MPI has used fictitious names for various products throughout the series, e.g., Coops, Old Düsseldorf, Tiller Beer, Flagler Beer, Day-N-Dark, etc. But, then again, there were many brand names used during the show, e.g., Ferrari, Audi, VW, Rolex, Seiko, Royal (Higgins’ Typewriter), Puma, Safeway, Izod/Lacoste, Gatorade, Diet Coke, various team names (Detroit Tigers, Atlanta Falcons, Los Angeles Lakers). :? The different brand names and fictional names used on the show might make an interesting thread.

The scene itself was great because Rick, in an effort to turn up the volume on the phone/intercom hits the wrong button and releases tear gas on Higgins and his fellow wine connoisseurs. This is ironic because Higgins presumably installed this as a security precaution to be used on Magnum when he is caught pilfering wine. As the gas is pouring out from beneath the closed door, you can hear Higgins say (above all of the coughing and choking sounds) "Magnum, you irresponsible cretin..." :lol:

Excellent episode.
Here's the closer look to intercom:

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. The Woman on the Beach
5 The Jororo Kill
6. Dead Man’s Channel
7. Wave Goodbye
8. Ghost Writer
9. The Sixth Position
10. From Moscow to Maui
11. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
12. Billy Joe Bob
13. Mad Buck Gibson

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Does anyone know the hotel that Magnum tries to sneak into (where Zulu from "Five-O" is the hotel doorman)? Looks like a hotel in Waikiki but I can't place it. When Santos is sitting on the hotel balcony you can see a yacht harbor behind him which is almost certainly the Ala Wai yacht harbor, something you might see from the Ilikai hotel (just outside of Waikiki), but this doesn't look like the hotel to which Magnum pulls up in his Ferrari. Most likely these are 2 different hotels. Anyone have any ideas?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Sam »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Does anyone know the hotel that Magnum tries to sneak into (where Zulu from "Five-O" is the hotel doorman)? Looks like a hotel in Waikiki but I can't place it. When Santos is sitting on the hotel balcony you can see a yacht harbor behind him which is almost certainly the Ala Wai yacht harbor, something you might see from the Ilikai hotel (just outside of Waikiki), but this doesn't look like the hotel to which Magnum pulls up in his Ferrari. Most likely these are 2 different hotels. Anyone have any ideas?
Hi Ivan.
The hotel where he meets Zulu is the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa... the address is on Kalakaua.. but he pulls up on the side street which is..Ohua Ave

The hotel where Kate meets Santos is The Modern Honolulu.. at the time of the filming that was part of the Ilikai Hotel.