6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 106

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Seaver41 »

good episode.........anything with the Intelligence community gets me interested. Tyne Daly drives me nuts......she is not attractive, her voice is annoying, but I can't help but like watching her. She is damn good.

One bone to pick......besides the voice, I did not find Bannister particularly convincing as a female from the shoulders up........the five o'clock shadow still evident........but nevertheless a creepy (in a good way) character.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I enjoyed that one very much.
Although I did not quite get why Tom was playing that tape of that Nam report to her.

I have no subtitles on the opening scene on my DVD (or player). Not having the subtitles forced me to listen to the conversation closely and I noticed that both had quite bad accents! :lol:

The transvestite looked convincing, even from the shoulders up. It depends on the camera angle if you can see a 5 o'clock shadow or not. I think he has quite a female face, even dressed as a man. In the opening scene I still thought it was a woman, even when he was wearing that overall.

When Higgins said "Sadly that's the only type of scandal we seem to have" (can't quote it true to the word) this made me laugh out loud! Even when I lived in the UK during the 1990's there were so many sex scandals in UK politics.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Loved this episode!! I gave it a 9.0 - excellent episode!!

The cross-dressing assassin was a cool and freaky idea and Tyne Daly was great as Kate Sullivan. This so far is my 2nd favorite episode of the second season - behind "Memories are Forever". Of course I still have 8 more episodes to see. I do like the darker-themed episodes more than the lighter fluff - although I did find "Ghost Writer" somewhat amusing.

One thing I spotted is that around the 21 or 22 minute mark when Magnum pulls up in his Ferrari to the hotel where Kate and the Jororo delegation are staying (with Zulu from Five-0 as the doorman) if you look up to the balcony in the upper right-hand corner of the screen you will see a bunch of people watching the filming and pointing down at Selleck as he gets out of the Ferrari.

Also I have a question about the scene where Magnum first meets Kate and they go out for a walk on the beach where she tells him why she is in Hawaii. What beach is this? It looks like Waikiki or maybe closer to Kapiolani Park but in the background I see what looks like some little island which I've never seen before. It's very close to shore - a mini-island of sorts. Anyone know?

EDIT: It looks like I just found a screenshot of the mini-island in the "Computer Date" episode screenshots section. Apparently this is right outside the KKC club. But I'm still not sure where this location is. Around Kapiolani Park?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Waialae Beach Park
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

J.J. Walters wrote:Waialae Beach Park
Thanks for that info, J.J. :D Looks like it's on the other side of Diamond Head. Next to the Kahala Hotel. No wonder I don't remember seeing it from Waikiki.

Beautiful looking spot!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#46 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Is Bannister dubbed by Devon Ericson from 'Tropical Madness'?

Bes
Commander

#47 Post by Bes »

Great episode.

Bes
Commander

#48 Post by Bes »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:I enjoyed that one very much.
Although I did not quite get why Tom was playing that tape of that Nam report to her.
Tom is just playing the 'Nam footage to remind Kate of her values, some of which she'd cast aside in her desperation to nab a great scoop.

snp389
Captain

#49 Post by snp389 »

Great episode! In the Australian DVD set, there are no subtitles at the beginning.
I love Higgins' line that British intelligence always seems to involve sexual scandals. How true. The pommy spooks are renowned for their homosexual tendencies. About the only saving grace is the fictional James Bond 007.

snp389
Captain

#50 Post by snp389 »

I've just noticed a FLUB in 2.13 'The Jororo Kill'. At the climax scene where TM shoots 'Bannister', TM is not carrying his usual Colt .45 Auto pistol. He is in fact carrying a Beretta 92 9mm pistol. I can only assume that on the day of filming, the armourer may have had some issues with the usual Colt .45 prop and it's ability to fire blanks. Or the Continuity staff had a brain fart.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MaximRecoil »

snp389 wrote:I've just noticed a FLUB in 2.13 'The Jororo Kill'. At the climax scene where TM shoots 'Bannister', TM is not carrying his usual Colt .45 Auto pistol. He is in fact carrying a Beretta 92 9mm pistol. I can only assume that on the day of filming, the armourer may have had some issues with the usual Colt .45 prop and it's ability to fire blanks. Or the Continuity staff had a brain fart.
Not a flub. Magnum picked that Beretta up off the floor in the church. One of the agents that was shot dropped it.

snp389
Captain

#52 Post by snp389 »

My apologies. I should have looked closer.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#53 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:When Higgins said "Sadly that's the only type of scandal we seem to have" (can't quote it true to the word) this made me laugh out loud! Even when I lived in the UK during the 1990's there were so many sex scandals in UK politics.
I thought that mention of sex scandals was quite bold for an early 80's show watched by many kids.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it seems that the receptionist from Thank God For... has changed jobs and now works the reception of a different hotel.

With this episode I have the same problem I had with Mercedes McCambridge in an earlier episode: I can't stand Tyne Daly.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: The Jororo Kill (2.13)

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

One of my favorite episodes. My favorite line of the whole series is "Nuns don't work on Sundays." It was one of those times where Magnum picked up on something just in time to save his life.

The only major gripe I had in this one was that they made Kate just a little too unlikeable. It wasn't really explained why THIS story was so important that she was willing to risk lives. It came off as she just wanted exsclusives at any price.

I'd have liked to have seen Kate pop up in a couple of future episodes, but Tyne was probably unavailable at that point. I think they could've done some more with the character.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Jororo Kill (2.13)

#55 Post by magnumette »

I agree with sign guy . Nuns don't work on Sundays is one of my favorite lines of whole series. It shows how razor sharp and lucky Magnum is. His mind and his training don't take a break even though he may engage in comical banter, his mind doesn't miss a lick! Just like Higgins vast knowledge TM is in the range of having a believable skill set. This is one of my fave episodes -a 10. I love Tyne Daly's character -it is excellent in exploring common theme-what do you do if your career goes away -what kind of person are you. Magnum, Rick, Higgins and TC have all found post war careers. Ms Chase- the ballet dancer, Mad Buck and here as well explore the reality of summer ending and fall setting in. At one point aren't we all 33 , never having been 23? ( or feeling that we missed out on 23 in any case?)