6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 106

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#31 Post by SelleckLover »

Yes, nuns in the Catholic church are considered "Brides of Christ", but not all orders of nuns wear rings. (12 years of Catholic School under my belt...the last four being taught by "Brothers". And we thought the nuns were mean! Yikes.)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

The second season, after a lull, really picks up with this episode. I’m really impressed with all of the things that have been spotted for this episode. :)

[rating:9.5]

A journalist who is an old friend of Magnum, Rick and T.C., arrives in Hawaii claiming to be working on a routine story, but is actually on the trail of an international assassin, whom she dupes Magnum into looking for. A very good episode…

-----

As touched upon in previous reviews, the second season suffered a bit of a dip midway through, with a number of substandard stories. Thankfully, here things finally pick up with this terrific episode.

The episode has a huge number of writing credits; sometimes, this would make for an uneven story, but thankfully it doesn’t affect this one. And it has input from series co-creator Donald P. Bellisario, which is always a good thing.

I’ve never fully warmed to Tyne Daly, and could never get into ‘Cagney and Lacey’, but there’s no arguing that she is a good actress, and here, as crippled reporter Kate Sullivan, puts in a performance worthy of such a good episode.
It’s a shame that the character never made a return appearance, not even in the fourth season’s semi-sequel ‘Jororo Farewell’.

Other great things about this episode include Rick and Mac fishing on the King Kamehameha I, complete with Mac’s impression of Magnum (which is quite dead on).

The villain of the episode, who disguises himself as women, is quite eerie. When Magnum asks him if the ex-MI6 agent resigned due to a sex scandal, Higgins replies “Unfortunately, in British Intelligence, that seems to be the only type we have”. It’s true, we do seem to have a lot of such scandals!!

Although we effectively know who the villain is from the beginning, his disguises still make him hard to spot, and it’s edge-of-the-seat as to where he’ll pop up next.
I like the final shootout, with Magnum’s classic “Nuns don’t work on Sundays!”.

All-in-all, this is a top notch episode, and one that will set the standard for most of the rest of the season.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* On the opening trailer, the car exploding from early in the episode, and Magnum chasing Bannister from the climax, are edited together to make it look like a completely different scene.

* When David Bannister is preparing the bomb in the back of the van, the brand on the side of one of the drums is ‘Acme’ – the classic fake name used in Warner Brothers cartoons!

* On the DVD version, the fourth commercial break is abridged.
Last edited by Jay-Firestorm on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Excuse the double post, but I forgot to mention the French subtitles.

It seems some DVD players show the subtitles, others do not. When I watched this episode in bed (!) last night, it did not have the subtitles, but when I checked it this morning on my main recorder / player, they appeared.

Just thought I'd mention it :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by lutherhgillis »

I like this episode. The she-man, David Banister, who is a cold hearted international hit man is erie to say the least. He looks a little too confortable dressed like a woman, if you know what I mean. He is a little too David Bowie/Mick Jagger like for me but he does a good job playing the villian.

I like the idea that Banister is using Kate to get some sort of fun out of documenting his hit on Santos. In real life, I do not think international hitmen bother with such a ruse. They just go in, make the hit, and leave town.

I feel really sorry for Kate in this one. She wants to get a real story so badly that she loses her integrity for a moment. I'm glad they showed her reclaiming it. Gee, I guess journalists had integrity once upon a time...?

I also like that MPI showed disabled vets in a positive light.

Jay, I also liked the 'ACME' lable on the 55 gal drum. Someone on the set had a sense of humor. That immediately brought back memories of Wile E. Cyote and the Roadrunner...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Jaybird
Admiral

#35 Post by Jaybird »

I wasn't too sure about this episode when I put it on as I hadn't seen it in awhile. I get the ones I like and don't like mixed up. Anyway, I think this is one of my favorites. Gave it a 9.5 as did a few others. The plot was certainly inventive and the acting was great. I've decided I like "serious" Magnum and serious plots alot more than "frivilous" Magnum. This is more on the serious side. It's in my top 25!

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#36 Post by Higgy_baby »

James J. Walters wrote:I don't know if you guys noticed this or not, but Zulu (Kono from Hawaii Five-O) makes a brief appearance as a hotel doorman! He is credited as "Zoulou", the French Tahitian spelling of "Zulu".

Zulu

I noticed, but had to do a double take with the hair and stache on Zulu. I loved the 'fat guy' on Hawaii Five-0 and felt sorry that he was railroaded off the show after, I think, 4 seasons. I have read that he preferred the spelling Zoulou to Zulu as was credited on 5-0. He still has that likeable appeal in his interaction with Magnum. Too bad he didn't evolve into a semi-regular.

I love this episode. Bannister is convincing except when he fumbled around assembling his rifle in plain view of all in the balcony of the Church (of course nobody facing him, like the Priest, would see him until the omnipotent Magnum showed up). Bannister should have assembled the piece in private after he bumped off the upper level guard.

I also get a kick out of the two guys on duty at the Church entrance. Rubber chicken posted their pics (below). They draw guns and both leave the entrance to accost Magnum as he arrives. One word from Magnum to get the boss inside the Church has them scurrying to do his bidding. Too corny. :)

This episode is a 9.5 for me!

Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by zebra3 »

IslandHopper wrote:MPI collectors may find this interesting. During the last scene when TC and Rick are listening in on Higgins' wine tasting, the telephone/intercom they are listening in on is a "Radio Shack Duofone 16." The thing I found interesting about this is that the word "Shack" in Radio Shack is blacked out by an oval piece of tape or other material, so only the word "Radio" is visible. Even with the word "Shack" blacked out, it is still obvious that the phone is a Radio Shack as their font style is distinctive, not to mention that the black oval piece of tape is oddly out of place on the phone. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by their attempt to hide a product name since MPI has used fictitious names for various products throughout the series, e.g., Coops, Old Düsseldorf, Tiller Beer, Flagler Beer, Day-N-Dark, etc. But, then again, there were many brand names used during the show, e.g., Ferrari, Audi, VW, Rolex, Seiko, Royal (Higgins’ Typewriter), Puma, Safeway, Izod/Lacoste, Gatorade, Diet Coke, various team names (Detroit Tigers, Atlanta Falcons, Los Angeles Lakers). :? The different brand names and fictional names used on the show might make an interesting thread.

The scene itself was great because Rick, in an effort to turn up the volume on the phone/intercom hits the wrong button and releases tear gas on Higgins and his fellow wine connoisseurs. This is ironic because Higgins presumably installed this as a security precaution to be used on Magnum when he is caught pilfering wine. As the gas is pouring out from beneath the closed door, you can hear Higgins say (above all of the coughing and choking sounds) "Magnum, you irresponsible cretin..." :lol:

Excellent episode.
I think that shows some class, not having beer ads placed into the show.

As far as my take on the episode, I thought it felt like it had the theme/plot of a movie, as well as the feel of one, if you took out the Magnum music. Tyne Daly only helps that. The story was well thought out, however, I predicted that the bad guy was the informant all once we got in a little bit. As soon as they revealed she didn't know who it was I knew. Anyway, the banter between the guys was great, made the episode feel longer and gave it heft. Worth a nine rating in my book.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Little Garwood »

I rated this as Excellent [9.0]. I've never watched an episode of Cagney & Lacey in my life (I had to look up who was who in that show!), but whenever I've seen Tyne Daly in a guest starring role, she's impressed me. Here she carries the show, emotionally speaking. We get some idea of her backstory, and Magnum's playing Kate's old Vietnam battlefield report and her subsequent--and extremely convincing breakdown--made the episode for me.

Great outdoor photography, as everything looked good. There was no doubt that Thomas would take care of things, and the rare Rick-Mac interaction scene was a gem, but I once again point to Daly's performance as the crowning achievement here.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#39 Post by J.J. Walters »

Couldn't agree more Little Garwood. Tyne Daly was fantastic in this episode.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is one of my all-time favorite episodes!! Superb plot, and acting by everyone! Very touching and heart-felt flashbacks to Magnum and Kate's Vietnam days.

The idea of a cross-dressing killer was "wild" and something you don't see much...and dressed as the nun at the end--positively frightening! :o That dude was pretty freaky. :shock:

Tyne Daly was, as always, superb! I don't mean to be rude or insulting by this remark, but it's hard to believe she was ever that thin! But almost every role I've seen her in, she's so "real" and believable--you truly think she's the person she's playing! Awesome actress!

I can watch "Jororo Kill" over and over, and still love it! :D I rated it a 10--perfect!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Seaver41 »

good episode.........anything with the Intelligence community gets me interested. Tyne Daly drives me nuts......she is not attractive, her voice is annoying, but I can't help but like watching her. She is damn good.

One bone to pick......besides the voice, I did not find Bannister particularly convincing as a female from the shoulders up........the five o'clock shadow still evident........but nevertheless a creepy (in a good way) character.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I enjoyed that one very much.
Although I did not quite get why Tom was playing that tape of that Nam report to her.

I have no subtitles on the opening scene on my DVD (or player). Not having the subtitles forced me to listen to the conversation closely and I noticed that both had quite bad accents! :lol:

The transvestite looked convincing, even from the shoulders up. It depends on the camera angle if you can see a 5 o'clock shadow or not. I think he has quite a female face, even dressed as a man. In the opening scene I still thought it was a woman, even when he was wearing that overall.

When Higgins said "Sadly that's the only type of scandal we seem to have" (can't quote it true to the word) this made me laugh out loud! Even when I lived in the UK during the 1990's there were so many sex scandals in UK politics.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Loved this episode!! I gave it a 9.0 - excellent episode!!

The cross-dressing assassin was a cool and freaky idea and Tyne Daly was great as Kate Sullivan. This so far is my 2nd favorite episode of the second season - behind "Memories are Forever". Of course I still have 8 more episodes to see. I do like the darker-themed episodes more than the lighter fluff - although I did find "Ghost Writer" somewhat amusing.

One thing I spotted is that around the 21 or 22 minute mark when Magnum pulls up in his Ferrari to the hotel where Kate and the Jororo delegation are staying (with Zulu from Five-0 as the doorman) if you look up to the balcony in the upper right-hand corner of the screen you will see a bunch of people watching the filming and pointing down at Selleck as he gets out of the Ferrari.

Also I have a question about the scene where Magnum first meets Kate and they go out for a walk on the beach where she tells him why she is in Hawaii. What beach is this? It looks like Waikiki or maybe closer to Kapiolani Park but in the background I see what looks like some little island which I've never seen before. It's very close to shore - a mini-island of sorts. Anyone know?

EDIT: It looks like I just found a screenshot of the mini-island in the "Computer Date" episode screenshots section. Apparently this is right outside the KKC club. But I'm still not sure where this location is. Around Kapiolani Park?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Waialae Beach Park
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

J.J. Walters wrote:Waialae Beach Park
Thanks for that info, J.J. :D Looks like it's on the other side of Diamond Head. Next to the Kahala Hotel. No wonder I don't remember seeing it from Waikiki.

Beautiful looking spot!