6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 99

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I've just thought of at least one other occasion when Higgins is seen smoking - when he is waiting for Jenny to arrive in 'Tropical Madness'.

"My dear, you look wonderful. A little champagne?"
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#17 Post by Doc Ibold »

He asked for a smoke in "Try To Remember".... and I think he may have smoked in "Birdman of Budapest"

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MACattack »

The punch that Rick struck across Magnum's face looked really fake.

And what about the wimpy assailant saying " I was only tryin to scare you a little" to Magnum. This was definetly one of the poorly written episodes during the early days. Not one of my faves.....
I just don't give a damn!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I love this episode in a cheesy, campy, retro sort of way.

The concept of applying technology to dating reminds me of this awesome '80 video dating montage on youtube. If you haven't seen it, make the time!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by charybdis1966 »

This episode was quite/fairly good in my opinion although it did benefit from Nancy DeCarl's presence in full icey blonde mode, as she played in Buck Rogers.

The story wasn't the most intriguing and there was no particularly clever twist either but the character development made up for some deficiencies in the episode.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by robspace54 »

I think this was "we need a story that uses computers" kind of thing, and it wasn't that great. And to be honest some of the acting was less than stellar. But interesting to see Larry M's wife - not on Buck Rogers.

I did enjoy Higgins sweating and puffing. I'll bet cast and crew got a big grin out of putting John through his paces.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#22 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

Haven't been able to watch any Magnum for awhile, so I'm glad to be back. :D

I liked the plot, even though the pace and action were a bit lagging. The bit at the end when Higgins keeps on his poker face while being disappointed with Ashley, and then lights up a cigarette in relief that she was accompanied by a young "travelling partner," and because he was no longer feeling the need to appear fit.

Also, I thought the part about Magnum getting Higgins in shape was classicly ironic. Magnum seems to jump at the chance to put Higgins through the paces even though he knows a week isn't long enough to show any real improvement, but then he gets so distracted with his case that he can't properly enjoy Higgins' suffering. Of course, Higgins turns the tables on him by boring him with another story after the car chase.

Great to see such nice story telling!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by charybdis1966 »

sophia wrote:I just watched this episode on Sleuth. I just found out that Claudia is Larry Manetti's real wife. I think they met when they both were on Battlestar Galatica in the late seventies...I thought I read that Larry's wife Nancy Decarl was on Battlestar Galactica,
but now I can't find it.
They met before she appeared on the episode "Computer Date" because their son was born in October or November of 1980.
The episode of the original Battlestar Galactica in which the delectable Nancy deCarl appeared was "The Long Patrol" which aired on the 15th of October 1978.
She played a settler type character complete with an Irish accent for some reason.
She was also in another Glen Larson production, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the episode "Plot to kill a city" where she played a leather clad mind-reading villainess. This aired on 11 October 1979.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

charybdis1966 wrote:She was also in another Glen Larson production, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the episode "Plot to kill a city" where she played a leather clad mind-reading villainess. This aired on 11 October 1979.

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by charybdis1966 »

J.J. Walters wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:She was also in another Glen Larson production, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the episode "Plot to kill a city" where she played a leather clad mind-reading villainess. This aired on 11 October 1979.

:)
Wow...yowser.

I feel like I'm 13 again. :oops:

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by No need to know! »

C´mon TC, thats an old picture. She probably looks a lot different now.
-Yeah, about 40 years uglier. :lol:

Not my favourite episode of the second season, but it´s pretty good.
Onion´s extra?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by charybdis1966 »

Well just over 30 years uglier maybe.

Still, great memories though.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#28 Post by rubber chicken »

Just a quick comment on the car that tried to run Magnum down and was then chased by Magnum. Some may already know this, but it's a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm amazed at how many of these S2 episodes I don't remember! Odd, because this was the season that began my MPI love back in '81-'82, when I was a mere fifth grader.

I voted this "Very Good" [8.5]

"Computer Date" is revealing about our man Rick Wright. He's a romantic heart, which is keeping with his Humphrey Bogart fixation, as well as being impulsive when it comes to love. That's quite a difference from the same guy who can smell a con game or a phony a mile away! It's something in his character I find interesting.

Nice to see Five-O alum Doug Mossman in a bit part as one of the board members, too.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MaiTaiMan »

rubber chicken wrote:Just a quick comment on the car that tried to run Magnum down and was then chased by Magnum. Some may already know this, but it's a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

I love cars, and I love watching episodes of TV shows and studying all the cars used--especially older shows, because you never know what bad guys or others will show up in! :lol: I knew this car that tried to run down Magnum was an old Oldsmobile Cutlass...but I wasn't sure of the year. Thanks, rubber chicken! :) It may not have been as fast as the Ferrari...but that old Olds would have hurt a heck of a lot more if it'd hit Magnum, as that's called good ol' fashioned Detroit metal...not plastic! :wink:

This episode was decent...not terrible, but not awesome either. The computer espionage part of the plot was okay, and there were some pretty good action/car chase scenes with Magnum.

But, the best part of this episode is the storyline with Rick secretly dating this married woman...and it suddenly is directly involved in Magnum's case. It made the episode interesting, with Rick and Magnum being at odds but working it out. Rick was stupid, though, for wanting to run off with this married woman...then ticked when she wants to go back to her husband. :lol: Rick had some growing up to do. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"