No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 99

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Computer Date (2.14)

#51 Post by marlboro »

The sacrifices one must make to win the heart of a woman built like the Prince Albert Memorial:

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#52 Post by Milton Collins »

J.J. Walters wrote:Love the denouement in this one. Higgins is relieved to find out that Lady Ashley (whom he hasn't seen in "decades") is no longer "built like the Prince Albert Memorial" (LOL), and has aged in a similiar manner as him (i.e. she's put on a little weight). How surprised he must have been then, when in a couple of years (in "Echoes of the Mind"), she returns and sports the body of a runway model (and is about 6 inches taller)*! :shock:

* This is, of course, due to "Lady Ashley" being played by two different actresses, but still! ;)
I'm totally confused, this is indeed the same Lady Ashley played twice in 2 seperate episodes by different actresses? Isn't this a major mistake/flub? Maybe they did it on purpose and just didn't think people would catch it on the initial run of the series?

I think this is a good solid episode. Nancy DeCarlo/Mrs. Manetti is absolutely stunning! That must have been fun for the married couple to play a romantic duet in a tv show when they are obviously together in real life. Pretty interesting to see how Magnum dealt with a conflict of interest that directly involved a good friend, and what a character reversal for Mr. Randolph! He played that well, at first coming on like this nice older dude who's genuinely concerned about his marraige and ending up to be an embezzling thief trying to leave the country with the $. I though this was a good twist!

I had to laugh when Rick's punch to TM at the beach bar missed by at least a foot or more too lol. Why is it that during the show Rick and Magnum have several little feuds and TC and Magnum have a couple of them as well but Rick and TC never seem to be mad at each other? I'm just curious if that was done on purpose or not? And how many episodes is the actor playing the spy going to appear in lol? C'mon guys, there had to be other bit actors rather than using that guy for small roles in like 5 episodes. Oh well, not a big deal. Overall a good solid episode with an interesting plot.
Last edited by Milton Collins on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:I'm amazed at how many of these S2 episodes I don't remember! Odd, because this was the season that began my MPI love back in '81-'82, when I was a mere fifth grader.

I voted this "Very Good" [8.5]

"Computer Date" is revealing about our man Rick Wright. He's a romantic heart, which is keeping with his Humphrey Bogart fixation, as well as being impulsive when it comes to love. That's quite a difference from the same guy who can smell a con game or a phony a mile away! It's something in his character I find interesting.

Nice to see Five-O alum Doug Mossman in a bit part as one of the board members, too.
I still enjoy this episode, though since my initial review four years ago, I'd probably drop the rating down to an 8.0 [Pretty Good].

I was impressed by the hotel/restaurant where Rick and Claudia had their rendezvous. I've never seen that much wood paneling in one place! I liked director Robert Thompson's decision to shoot long when Thomas approaches and enters the place; he's dwarfed by the wall-mounted light fixture! Gotta love '60s-'70s modern design.

Once again Higgins is relegated to comedic sub-plot status. I wonder if the writers realized how important a character he would be when they kept giving him these trivial though amusing sidebar stories? We do get a full-bodied version of his theme here and he does get the final freeze frame, so perhaps the run of episodes this season might not have included Higgy Baby, but everyone knew just how good this character was.

Charles Aidman was always a good, reliable character actor and he's everywhere in the vast realm of '65-'85 era TV guest stars. He once had the thankless job of filling in for the great Ross Martin in The Wild, Wild West alongside Robert Conrad (who would have made a great Magnum guest star). Aidman was Jeremy Pike, another master of disguise who was one of the better fill ins when Martin had to sit out much of season four because of a heart attack. Those here who are fans of Kolchak: the Night Stalker will remember Aidman in that series' episode, Zombie.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rocket
Lieutenant

#54 Post by Rocket »

I enjoyed this episode. One thing I did notice, maybe not a flub, is the Porsche 911 parked at the KKC when Magnum almost gets run down is the same one that drives by as Magnum is being pulled over by the cop.

Another is that the stunt doubles for M and H in the car chase are obvious, with H's double having a thick head of hair. Way more than Higgy-baby. Magnums double is much closer to TS.

Also so glad that MPI went with the Ferrari instead of a 928. Just wouldn't be the same.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Milton Collins »

Another good solid episode from Season 2, always enjoy this one!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by KingKC »

What I remember most is the subplot of Higgins trying to get in shape for Lady Ashley. I think one scene of Higgins doing a sit-up was in the opening credits for years to come. I do remember Rick hitting TM and it having something to do with the main plot and Rick messing with a married woman.

KingKC

jdequeir
Ensign

#57 Post by jdequeir »

Hi friends,

Can I make questions about the plot? I am afraid of giving spoilers.
Is it possible to create a thread with spoilers?

Thanks
De Queiroz

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#58 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Styles Bitchley wrote:This one is just plain fun - and I love reminiscing about the state of computer technology in the 80s.
Yes, same here. This and Little Games were my favourite Magnum computer-related episodes. Computers before the mid-80's were far more interesting and mysterious. Back then, very few people knew about computers and having computer knowledge was similar to being some kind of wizard.

At "Global Laser Corporation", the terminal Mac uses ("tickle those ivories, Mac") looks like HP 2640/2645 series. The terminal in Mac's office at Pearl Harbour is a Hazeltine (1500 or 1400) and so is the one in Dixon's office.

The ending of the episode was a bit rushed and unsatisfying, like many Magnum episodes. The idea of a guy using his wife, basically as a prostitute ("dating" Rick for weeks) just to distract Magnum for a bit, didn't quite make sense to me.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#59 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great observation there on the computers, K Hale! Those babies are rocking a whole 2 KB of RAM! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by K Hale »

marlboro wrote:The sacrifices one must make to win the heart of a woman built like the Prince Albert Memorial:

Darn broken link, I'd love to know what that was! :lol:

Can somebody explain the Prince Albert Memorial thing? I looked the memorial up and can see no conceivable connection...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#61 Post by K Hale »

robspace54 wrote:I did enjoy Higgins sweating and puffing. I'll bet cast and crew got a big grin out of putting John through his paces.
Every time I watch the sit ups scene, I imagine him secretly wondering if a stunt double could have been used. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

J.J. Walters wrote:Great observation there on the computers, K Hale! Those babies are rocking a whole 2 KB of RAM! :)
Thanks! :) ...but I am not K Hale. (...at least... I don't think I am. ;) )

I also identified all the keyboards used with the Dracos III and posted it in the Little Games thread. Computers and terminals of the 70's and 80's are a hobby of mine. I'm typing this using a keyboard from a 1977 terminal.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#63 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ugh! Sorry Mad Kudu Buck! I've been off-the-grid for a while and I've apparently lost most of my abilities to post effectively, manage the forum and update the website! It's slowly coming back to me now, though! :)

Welcome to The Mania! Digging your posts! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by 308GUY »

K Hale wrote:
marlboro wrote:The sacrifices one must make to win the heart of a woman built like the Prince Albert Memorial:

Darn broken link, I'd love to know what that was! :lol:

Can somebody explain the Prince Albert Memorial thing? I looked the memorial up and can see no conceivable connection...
Just a shot in the dark here, as I know nothing about the Prince Albert Memorial....I believe TM made reference to it as an analogy JQH could better relate to rather than "built like a brick outhouse" (the American version) describing the woman (Lady Ashley) he wanted to get in shape to impress.

The "brick" outhouse is representative of something that has everything necessary, but in spades......overkill.....much more than it needs to be...but will obviously work just fine for it's intended purpose....and sooo much more!

Like I said...just conjecture on my part. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by K Hale »

Ohhhhhhhh.

I have heard the brick, er, out...house phrase before but never understood that, either. Today has indeed been a day for learning. 8)
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!