6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 106

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by MACattack »

I'm pretty sure Magnum's real birthdate revolves around the year 1945, as that's the year Tom Selleck was born.

Also, I was watching an episode of 'Knight Rider' and couldn't help noticing that KITT car's voice sounded alot like the voice of the actor who plays Doc Ibold on MPI. Hmmm...... very interesting
I just don't give a damn!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by robspace54 »

I watched this episode last night and enjoyed it. I have no memory od seeing it in 1982, but is was a long time ago.

I liked the subtle clue in the car which set TM on the right path.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by zebra3 »

What an amazing episode. I didn't see the amnesia turning out to be a roofie at ALL. I thought it was well done, and contrary to many amnesia stories, plays well. Especially considering there was very little light-hearted banter between the guys in this one.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is one of my all-time favorites!! I love the beginning, where you see Magnum and the Ferrari have gone over the cliff...it immediately starts off with suspense and instantly captivates you to find out why and what happened!

Superb plot, with Magnum being more helpless (which is something you hardly ever see) but he's determined to find out what happened anyway. Much more emotion and seriousness than usual too...but it's done in a fascinating and mesmerizing way.

This is also Lt. Yoshi Tanaka's first appearance, and I love him! :) He's cool and really laid back...but intelligent at the same time! He's not a moronic "hot-head" like most other TV homicide cops on p.i. shows. Tanaka also always liked Magnum, and even though he "teased" him a lot, he respected Magnum and most of the time treated him as such.

Awesome episode and I rated it a 10! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

grambax
Lieutenant

#20 Post by grambax »

A very good episode indeed.

I really liked the false amnesia angle. My only real criticism is that I agree with Carol the Dabbler; the villains really do pose no surprise, they are so obviously suspicious.

But great moments between Magnum and Higgins, an interesting twist, and the introduction of Tanaka.

I gave this an 8.5; could have been even higher with any other posibilities as suspects, although perhaps I'm asking just too much of an under 50 minutes show.

A couple of points no one seems to have mentioned -

Structuraly, for me, this episode more than any other bares distinct similarities to the intended final episode, Limbo,

and probably purely coincidental, but the prominent repeated reference to "The Tigers" plus the introduction of the character of Tanaka can't help but remind me of a prominent character in the James Bond book and film "You Only Live Twice", where Bond's ally, head of the Japanese Secret service and ex-kamikazi pilot is "Tiger" Tanaka.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Frodoleader »

Back in the '80's when I went through a period of being unemployed and going to school, I occasionaly watched some soap operas. Nancy Grahn played in a few of them and I always kind of liked her.
Maybe this is something only I would notice, but Nancy Grahn looks a bit like Jill Wagner, the Mercury car spokesperson and Wipeout host (for now). Maybe someone can do a side by side photo comparison?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#22 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

One of my favorites in the whole run of the show. When you see the Ferrari totalled and Magnum badly injured you know you're up to something special. I like episodes like this one where Magnum's private and professional lives get entangled.

It also features the first appearance by the annoying yet lovable Lt. Tanaka. Some have rightly pointed Colombo's influence on the character, but I think he also owes a lot to Captain Renault from Casablanca. You can say he's Renault to TS's Rick.

I find it a bit silly how easily TS convinces Higgins to let him drive by saying "What would Robin think if he found out you forced one of his guests to hitch-hike", or something to that efect. Well, what would he think if he knew he let one of his guests drive while crippled? And anyway asa a last resort he could have driven TS around.

One of my favorite comedy moments comes during the hypnosis scene, when Higgins redirects the conversation to the stolen bottle of wine, taking advantage of TS's state.

Is it me or there's a pattern with milquetoast elbow-patch wearing professoral type husbands turning out to be murderers (see Ted Danson in season 1)? Maybe someone like that stole Bellisario's woman in real life? :D

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

This is a 9.5 for me.

I loved the opening scene with Magnum in the wrecked Ferrari. This builds up the suspense from the first 30 seconds.

Interesting how TC stopped Rick from smoking in the hospital at a time when it was still quite normal in real life for people to smoke, especially in situations like that. Unbelievable these days that smoking wasn't always prohibited in hospitals.

Unfortunately the Gilberts were just too obviously guilty to rate this a 10 from the moment they turned up at the hospital. In the later dinner scene noticed straight away that they never drank the wine (schooled MPI eye) and then got the confirmation for what I assumed all along.

What I find strange is that he was out of hospital the next day after the accident. Considering he was in a coma and had some serious injuries... ok, it's Hollywood. But still.

I absolutely loved the way Higgins was waiting for him at the door when he came back in the Audi. He had this absolutely worried look on his face when he stepped out of the door. But no... he didn't care! :wink:

Here we see him use his hypnotic skills for the second time. A funny moment (not too many in this rather serious episode) was when Higgy used the hypnotism to find out what Thomas got from the wine cellar.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Seaver41 »

very good episode. Someone mentioned in the thread about not remembering everything or episodes.....and I can agree. I'm finding some I must not have seen in the early days, but then must have seen in syndication around that same time..........like the season 1 episode with the blinking assasin. Always remembered that part. Same for this episode, I always remembered the hat at the end and was surprised to see Tanaka comes in season 2.

snp389
Captain

#25 Post by snp389 »

This is another great episode that continues the reality of veterans suffering PTSD or as it commonly spoken of in the show as 'delayed stress'.

I love the ending with TSM lying in the hammock, and after Lt Tanaka leaves with his 'new' Tigers cap, JQH approaches. "Are you starting some sort of fan club?"
TSM " Why?...Would you like to join?...."

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Sisophous »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:We just watched this episode tonight on DVD. When they showed the Crouching Lion Inn, I said, "Hey, that's a real place!"

Yes, this place really caught my attention, something incredibly beautiful about it with overcast skies, heavy breezes and rough surf. It is almost hypnotic. Magnum came out of his coma and is out trying to track down leads on exactly what happened that caused him to crash. He visits the restaurant and then moves on to the boutique. I actually read some reviews on the Crouching Lion Inn that are on the web. They range from glowing reviews to about as bad as it gets.

I saved some images that I thought fans may enjoy. The second to last image is the visit to the boutique and was a minor flub. Magnum has plenty of spaces to park the car but instead parks it on the lawn!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#27 Post by J.J. Walters »

I agree Sisophous. Great scene they shot there in Kaaawa, overcast skies and all. I love that part of Oahu.

Regarding Magnum's parking, I wouldn't call that a "minor flub". Magnum has a well established history of parking pretty much wherever the hell he wants to. Reserved parking spaces (at the club), no parking zones (airports, office buildings, etc.), double parking, grass, it doesn't matter for him. He's a P.I. on an important case and things have to get done quickly! You can't spend half your time looking for a legal parking space! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:He's a P.I. on an important case and things have to get done quickly! You can't spend half your time looking for a legal parking space! :)
How could you after viewing all these episodes? He is a Private Investigator, not a P.I. !!!!!

We must think alike, these landmark scenes in this episode really struck me unlike any other in this 80s series. I'm not sure exactly what to make of it but it feels like I took a time warp back to this period and it feels so real it is eerie. And, I have never been to Oahu, been to the Big Island only and that was in 96'. Not sure what to make of these scenes from this episode. I posted the images because they connected with me in some way.

One other thing, the soft, romantic music in the Couching Lion Inn restaurant was striking in that it was not something you tend to encounter in any episode, no matter what the setting. Perhaps the only more romantic setting was with Higgins, Magnum and Willie (Dana Hill) in Basket Case when they dined at the estate. But that did not turn out too well, she ruined it by demanding a taco instead of the gourmet menu carefully selected by Higgins.

Thanks for posting.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MaximRecoil »

Tanaka had a '69 Road Runner! Did that car ever show up on the show again? I wonder what it had for an engine. If it was a Hemi car (highly unlikely), it would be about 3 or 4 times as valuable as Magnum's Ferrari today.

Actually, it probably wasn't a Road Runner (if it was, it didn't have its original hood), it was most likely a Satellite or a Belvedere. All three of those models in '68 and '69 had the same body, but the Road Runner had a different hood (it had mock hood scoops on either side, as did the hoods of the Sport Satellite and GTX [top of the line Belvedere]; Tanaka's car had a standard hood). However, if it had at least a 383-4v, then it might as well have been a Road Runner. It could have been a Satellite with a Hemi, which would still make it a few times more valuable today than a Ferrari 308, but it most likely had a 318. Even if it was a 440 car it would potentially be as valuable as a Ferrari 308 today.

Whatever it had under the hood, it was an awesome car. The Road Runner is my second-favorite muscle car, right after its fellow B-body cousin, the '68-'70 Dodge Charger. They should have used it more on the show.

By the way, that car with a 440 or a 426 Hemi would blow a Ferrari 308 away in the quarter mile. Even with a 383-4v it would still beat it.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#30 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sisophous wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:He's a P.I. on an important case and things have to get done quickly! You can't spend half your time looking for a legal parking space! :)
How could you after viewing all these episodes? He is a Private Investigator, not a P.I. !!!!!
Ha! J.J., our fearless leader and Master of All Things Magnum, schooled!!! :lol:

Excellent catch Sisophous!!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04