No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 106

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"Hey, that's a real place!"
Sure is. A fabulous landmark I have been going to since small keed time. I know the family that started the place. Did a video on it with details... for youtube when it changed hands.. has a lotta cool history to it.

"How could you after viewing all these episodes? He is a Private Investigator, not a P.I. !!!!! "

I think we can pardon the faux pas, since we are constantly hammered with the title "Magnum P.I." As opposed to "Magnum Private Investigator"

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#32 Post by rubber chicken »

With regards to Tanaka's car, IMCDB is calling it a 1969 Plymouth Satellite.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaximRecoil »

rubber chicken wrote:With regards to Tanaka's car, IMCDB is calling it a 1969 Plymouth Satellite.
Yeah, like I mentioned in my previous post, it is most likely a '69 Satellite or '69 Belvedere. The '69 Belvedere and '69 Satellite are indistingishable from each other if you're not close enough to read the badges; same body panels, same grille.

Usually in the case of "corporate twins" (such as a GMC Jimmy and a Chevrolet Blazer), you can tell the difference because they will at least have different grilles because they are put out by different divisions of the same parent company. But in the case of the Satellite and Belvedere (and Road Runner and GTX), it was all Plymouth division (Chrysler being the parent company). They were all just option / trim level variations on the same car.

The only way it could have been a '69 Road Runner is if someone replaced its Road Runner / GTX / Sport Satellite hood with a standard Satellite or Belvedere hood (perhaps to make the car look more pedestrian, which is something someone might do if they want a "sleeper").

The GTX, in addition to the different hood, had its own grille, slightly different than the standard Road Runner / Belvedere / Satellite grille, in that it had a bulge in the center with a badge that said "GTX".

I'd love to know if Tanaka's car had a big block under the hood. That could have been used for some comical scenes where Tanaka easily overtakes Magnum in his Ferrari, despite his car looking like a plain jane clunker (i.e.; the "sleeper" concept). 4-door Belvederes of that generation were often used as cop cars, and they often had the same high performance 330 horsepower 383 big block engine that came standard in a Road Runner (here is an example - link). They were among the fastest cop cars in history.

Was this the only episode in which that car appeared?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#34 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:Great scene they shot there in Kaaawa, overcast skies and all. I love that part of Oahu.
Magnum, after suffering a concussion in a car wreck goes out to do some investigative work and stops at The Crouching Lion Inn and the Crouching Lion Art Gallery ("Haloka Antiques") in Kaaawa. On his stop at the antique shop, you can see him parking on the front lawn. Here is the video:

After turning on your speakers/audio, open the video link below, select 480p quality and the middle size video is best.

http://youtu.be/1wRSzJJIpsA

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Try to Remember (2.15)

#35 Post by 308GUY »

Sisophous wrote:On his stop at the antique shop, you can see him parking on the front lawn.

Guess all the handicap spots were taken? :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by terryfromkerry »

Higgins was being very paternal here towards Magnum through out the entire story while hiding his concern for Magnum's well being.

The scene where he attempts to assist Magnum by hypnosis and discovers by chance Magnum took some vintage wine from the celler is hilarious. The way he teaches Magnum a lesson later is inspired in that Magnum now has no idea what other info he disclosed while under.

Another golden moment of MPI comedy !
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#37 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Really good story in this one. The only real points that I thought didn't make total sense were Magnum being allowed to drive with a severe concussion and fractured ribs. Having had a severe concussion I know that one of the main points doctors make is to not drive for several weeks. Plus, he was most likely on pain medication which made it dangerous to drive. He seemed to want Higgins to drive, but Higgins just walked away which seemed out of character to me. Another thing was why the buisness card and parking stub were in Magnum's car. Were they planted by the Gilbert family as a way to throw off the police? Were they items Magnum found that were leading him to Joni? It never got explained.

Magnum having everything click when he realised he was needing the seat adjusted was a great way for him to solve the mystery. It's like that explained everything to him even if it was a minor event. It was also a great introduction to Lt. Tanaka. He was great in this episode with the way he trailed Magnum knowing he'd eventually get lead to the suspect. Doc Ibold morphed from an ER doc to one with a private practice it would seem since he made house calls. I also agree with Magnum's mother's name not being a flub. He was asked what her "first name" was and not what she was usually called. Lots of people go by their middle name or an unrelated name that sticks and gets used most commonly.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#38 Post by magnumette »

One of my favorites= very suspenseful . I like that through hypnosis we learn of Magnum's recurring nightmare- being helpless== and Higgins' wine cellar questioning was hysterical. The cloudy overcast Oahu is so gorgeous! The Inn and the shop are so beautiful. This episode had real location eye candy :) Like the Tanaka character as well. The thing that bugged me is the birthday TM maybe he had amnesia but that is close to creators Donald Bellasario's bday 8/8/35 while TM is saying 8/8/45. I prefer a January bday as well as in earlier episodes. Oh well.

eltonsean
Captain

#39 Post by eltonsean »

SignGuyHPW wrote:Another thing was why the business card and parking stub were in Magnum's car. Were they planted by the Gilbert family as a way to throw off the police? Were they items Magnum found that were leading him to Joni? It never got explained.
I read your comment, SignGuyHPW, before watching the episode and ya, what the heck? The items wouldn't have been planted to put TM on the wrong track because the Gillberts expected him to die. So maybe they were indeed put there to throw the cops off of TM's movements? Strange.

Hey, it just occurred to me: Did the Gillberts use TM as a stalking horse to find Joni so they could kill her? And once he told them where she was, they drugged him and then killed Joni? But then why didn't TM remember he found Joni? But TM hadn't found her yet, he just had a contact according to the Gilberts. But maybe the Gilberts were lying? So maybe TM did have partial memory loss as well as being drugged. OKAY, so maybe TM had provided the Gilberts with a contact, which was enough for them to find Joni, and then they drugged TM and tried to kill him and then went to Joni, killed her and left TM's Tiger's hat to implicate him? Man, they had a busy evening!

This episode is so confusing!!! But I really like it. :magnum:
"Living well is the best revenge".

matty007
Ensign

#40 Post by matty007 »

Possible Mistake: Hi Guys, watching this episode tonight on Netflix and noticed at 41:03 when Tom pulls away from Rick there is a guy lurking in the bay of the auto shop who looks just like Magnum...is it the his stunt double??? he looks just like TM.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted Try to Remember an 8.0 [Pretty Good]

The strengths of this episode lie mainly in finding out what exactly happened to TM even if it's fairly obvious who the culprit(s) are, since we have no one else to suspect. Still, the fine performances by Selleck, Kwan Hi Lim, and Glenn Cannon make up for any shortcomings the ending has. Besides, my interest in MPI is character-based rather than anything to do with plots--unless the latter happens to be absolutely maddening or completely lacking logic. There are only so many plots but an infinite amount of fascinating nuances which make these characters interesting to me.

I loved Higgins' hard stare at the Gilberts--and the lingering shot of the camera on JH-- when they kept pressing the severely injured Magnum about the progress of the case. The Gilberts really come off as the "yuppie scum" which came to typify the nasty 1980s; quite a turnaround in attitudes from the previous decade.

The scene where Tanaka is questioning Magnum at the guest house made me notice just how much the place would change in the coming seasons. Wouldn't there be a dresser or entertainment system or window or something else back there starting in season three? That large Tiki-looking wood carving on the wall and the overall spareness of that back wall just had to go!

Five-0 prop alert: The hospital waiting room where Rick, T.C., and Higgins await Magnum's release has two of McGarrett's office chairs in it.

Higgins' hypnotizing of Thomas made for a fun comedic sub plot and finish to this episode, even if hypnotism and amnesia plot devices are overdone and of no real interest to me. However, the wine denouement with Higgins busting Magnum is great stuff.

I also appreciated the rainy and gloomy weather Hawaii was having during the shooting of this episode. Maybe the cinematography contributed to that look. Both of these things added to the episode's effective atmosphere.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#42 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I love the noir atmosphere and the stormy weather in this one.

The hipnosis scene remined me of what a fine voice John Hillerman has.

Quote of the episode: 'You called me here to kill me too?'

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

What I clearly remember about this episode is that the bad guy was taller than TS/TM who is 6'4"!! The adjustment of the driver's seat just sealed the belief as to who was the real killer. I also remember Tanaka saying something to Magnum about the use of the "poisoned wine" even though it only made the Gilberts sick at the end was actually some kind of crime such as battery....which I think it is. It is amazing how we each remember different details.

KingKC

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by rasgards »

I always liked this episode, particularly because of the strong introduction of LT Tanaka. There is a lot of good chemistry between him and TM, carried mostly by Kwan Hi Lim. He was a cool cat and good detective. Love it when he extorts TM's Detroit hat in the end.
Ras G

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by K Hale »

SignGuyHPW wrote:Really good story in this one. The only real points that I thought didn't make total sense were Magnum being allowed to drive with a severe concussion and fractured ribs. Having had a severe concussion I know that one of the main points doctors make is to not drive for several weeks. Plus, he was most likely on pain medication which made it dangerous to drive. He seemed to want Higgins to drive, but Higgins just walked away which seemed out of character to me.
Croix de Lorraine wrote:I find it a bit silly how easily TS convinces Higgins to let him drive by saying "What would Robin think if he found out you forced one of his guests to hitch-hike", or something to that efect. Well, what would he think if he knew he let one of his guests drive while crippled? And anyway asa a last resort he could have driven TS around.
No, he couldn't. You have to take the whole situation into account: Higgins did not want Magnum even leaving the guest quarters. He has already laid out all the good reasons why Magnum needed to leave the car alone and said a flat no. When TM continued to insist on driving it, Higgins took the keys from him, which prompted Magnum to twist Higgins' arm by threatening to call Robin and tell him Higgins "forced" him to hitchhike. Which is not only untrue, it's also very manipulative, and would put Higgins on the defensive with Robin -- the old "I'm telling Dad you made me do it!" ploy.

So by this point they are both mad at each other, Higgins slams the keys in Magnum's hand, whereupon TM's next move is to lay a guilt trip on Higgins thinking he might manipulate him further into driving him around. Since JQH thinks Magnum shouldn't be out and about at all, he stalks off in silent sulky refusal to be a party to any of this nonsense. (He could have simply walked off with the keys, but what fun would that be? lol)

Had Magnum approached Higgins from the start with a request to be driven somewhere, that might have turned out differently. Struggling for power and control, on the other hand, wasn't going to end well -- except that he did get the car.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!