5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 106

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Try to Remember (2.15)

#41 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted Try to Remember an 8.0 [Pretty Good]

The strengths of this episode lie mainly in finding out what exactly happened to TM even if it's fairly obvious who the culprit(s) are, since we have no one else to suspect. Still, the fine performances by Selleck, Kwan Hi Lim, and Glenn Cannon make up for any shortcomings the ending has. Besides, my interest in MPI is character-based rather than anything to do with plots--unless the latter happens to be absolutely maddening or completely lacking logic. There are only so many plots but an infinite amount of fascinating nuances which make these characters interesting to me.

I loved Higgins' hard stare at the Gilberts--and the lingering shot of the camera on JH-- when they kept pressing the severely injured Magnum about the progress of the case. The Gilberts really come off as the "yuppie scum" which came to typify the nasty 1980s; quite a turnaround in attitudes from the previous decade.

The scene where Tanaka is questioning Magnum at the guest house made me notice just how much the place would change in the coming seasons. Wouldn't there be a dresser or entertainment system or window or something else back there starting in season three? That large Tiki-looking wood carving on the wall and the overall spareness of that back wall just had to go!

Five-0 prop alert: The hospital waiting room where Rick, T.C., and Higgins await Magnum's release has two of McGarrett's office chairs in it.

Higgins' hypnotizing of Thomas made for a fun comedic sub plot and finish to this episode, even if hypnotism and amnesia plot devices are overdone and of no real interest to me. However, the wine denouement with Higgins busting Magnum is great stuff.

I also appreciated the rainy and gloomy weather Hawaii was having during the shooting of this episode. Maybe the cinematography contributed to that look. Both of these things added to the episode's effective atmosphere.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#42 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I love the noir atmosphere and the stormy weather in this one.

The hipnosis scene remined me of what a fine voice John Hillerman has.

Quote of the episode: 'You called me here to kill me too?'

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

What I clearly remember about this episode is that the bad guy was taller than TS/TM who is 6'4"!! The adjustment of the driver's seat just sealed the belief as to who was the real killer. I also remember Tanaka saying something to Magnum about the use of the "poisoned wine" even though it only made the Gilberts sick at the end was actually some kind of crime such as battery....which I think it is. It is amazing how we each remember different details.

KingKC

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by rasgards »

I always liked this episode, particularly because of the strong introduction of LT Tanaka. There is a lot of good chemistry between him and TM, carried mostly by Kwan Hi Lim. He was a cool cat and good detective. Love it when he extorts TM's Detroit hat in the end.
Ras G

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by K Hale »

SignGuyHPW wrote:Really good story in this one. The only real points that I thought didn't make total sense were Magnum being allowed to drive with a severe concussion and fractured ribs. Having had a severe concussion I know that one of the main points doctors make is to not drive for several weeks. Plus, he was most likely on pain medication which made it dangerous to drive. He seemed to want Higgins to drive, but Higgins just walked away which seemed out of character to me.
Croix de Lorraine wrote:I find it a bit silly how easily TS convinces Higgins to let him drive by saying "What would Robin think if he found out you forced one of his guests to hitch-hike", or something to that efect. Well, what would he think if he knew he let one of his guests drive while crippled? And anyway asa a last resort he could have driven TS around.
No, he couldn't. You have to take the whole situation into account: Higgins did not want Magnum even leaving the guest quarters. He has already laid out all the good reasons why Magnum needed to leave the car alone and said a flat no. When TM continued to insist on driving it, Higgins took the keys from him, which prompted Magnum to twist Higgins' arm by threatening to call Robin and tell him Higgins "forced" him to hitchhike. Which is not only untrue, it's also very manipulative, and would put Higgins on the defensive with Robin -- the old "I'm telling Dad you made me do it!" ploy.

So by this point they are both mad at each other, Higgins slams the keys in Magnum's hand, whereupon TM's next move is to lay a guilt trip on Higgins thinking he might manipulate him further into driving him around. Since JQH thinks Magnum shouldn't be out and about at all, he stalks off in silent sulky refusal to be a party to any of this nonsense. (He could have simply walked off with the keys, but what fun would that be? lol)

Had Magnum approached Higgins from the start with a request to be driven somewhere, that might have turned out differently. Struggling for power and control, on the other hand, wasn't going to end well -- except that he did get the car.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by ENSHealy »

A great episode! I gave it a 9, and after reading all the comments I'm thinking I should have bumped it up to 9.5 as I am having a hard time thinking what the flaws were. Only a few minor things come to mind:

1. Wendy Gilbert is over the top. She's so egregiously overacted that she might as well be wearing a shirt that says "I killed Joni." The plot twist would have been much bigger had she toned it down a little and been hiding in plain sight, as they say.

2. The car seat plot device. First, Dave doesn't appear to be taller than Magnum. They stand across from each other in a couple scenes and look about the same height. Second, we know that Thomas doesn't have to move the seat forward, he can barely get it back far enough, the car has even been modified just so he can fit in it. Granted, that's IRL and show universe colliding and I suppose it only being season 2 the writers weren't counting on the deep dives all us fanatics enjoy so much. But to me the biggest issue is, how do you get the car off the rack and into the garage driveway without someone driving it there? Did they push it? And, with all that damage, no one test drove it to make sure the "aerodynamics" were back to spec?

At this point, however, I would seem to be quibbling.

Flub: Rick says Dave was convicted of "Security fraud." Pretty sure he meant "Securities fraud." Either that or Dave was a bad alarm installer?

Flub, or just bad set design? Magnum is in the "Intensive Coronary Unit." Ummm, why? He didn't have a heart attack, he was in a car crash. I suppose the double doors could be for both the "Intensive Care Unit" and the "Intensive Coronary Unit."

Car Talk: When Tanaka takes TM to the crime scene, he's driving a Chevy Citation. He must only take the Plymouth out when he's expecting a chase!

When TM returns with the Audi, there are a couple of shots where you can see the courtyard colonnade behind Higgins through the double doors, which wouldn't be there based on internal shots where it would be the hall between the wine cellar doors, the living room with the Gaugin, and Higgin's study.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Turkey
Admiral

#47 Post by Turkey »

Re-watched this earlier and it's probably one I've overlooked as a fav, like I should have put it in my top ten.

Heaps to enjoy whenever I watch it but the introduction of Tanaka is probably one of the best aspects. That and Higgins learning about the wine :D
Last edited by Turkey on Fri May 18, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make it two weeks.

karolis
Admiral

#48 Post by karolis »

matty007 wrote:Possible Mistake: Hi Guys, watching this episode tonight on Netflix and noticed at 41:03 when Tom pulls away from Rick there is a guy lurking in the bay of the auto shop who looks just like Magnum...is it the his stunt double??? he looks just like TM.
Here's the screenshot, the guy is on the right, in the dark:

J.J. Walters wrote: In the previous episode "Computer Date", we briefly meet Higgins' old flame Lady Ashley and her "traveling companion" Paolo. Paolo is wearing a gold necklace with a large pendant. Well, in this episode, Higgins now has that exact same necklace, which he uses to hypnotize Magnum!

I though i'll share the screenshots one more time, as those links are dead:

Here's necklace in this episode:

Here's necklace from the previous episode (Computer Date):

At one moment in this episode i thought that Nancy had the same necklace:

J.J. Walters wrote: Secondly, a mysterious white Ford Torino station wagon seems to be following Magnum around in this episode, with no connection to the plot. It's at the scene of Magnum's car crash. It's at the Crouching Lion Inn. It's at the "Haloka Antiques" shop. And one other place, I believe. Pretty funny.

Ford Torino wagon at the crash scene:

At the Crouching Lion Inn:

At the antiques shop:

ENSHealy wrote: 2. The car seat plot device. First, Dave doesn't appear to be taller than Magnum. They stand across from each other in a couple scenes and look about the same height. Second, we know that Thomas doesn't have to move the seat forward, he can barely get it back far enough, the car has even been modified just so he can fit in it. Granted, that's IRL and show universe colliding and I suppose it only being season 2 the writers weren't counting on the deep dives all us fanatics enjoy so much.
To me Dave looked a little bit taller:

And his legs seemed a little bit longer, so that's probably why he would adjust the seat.
ENSHealy wrote: Flub, or just bad set design? Magnum is in the "Intensive Coronary Unit." Ummm, why? He didn't have a heart attack, he was in a car crash. I suppose the double doors could be for both the "Intensive Care Unit" and the "Intensive Coronary Unit."

First sighting of a rubber chicken:

karolis
Admiral

#49 Post by karolis »

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. Try to Remember
5. The Woman on the Beach
6. The Jororo Kill
7. Computer Date
8. Dead Man’s Channel
9. Wave Goodbye
10. Ghost Writer
11. The Sixth Position
12. From Moscow to Maui
13. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
14. Billy Joe Bob
15. Mad Buck Gibson

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by K Hale »

karolis wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote: In the previous episode "Computer Date", we briefly meet Higgins' old flame Lady Ashley and her "traveling companion" Paolo. Paolo is wearing a gold necklace with a large pendant. Well, in this episode, Higgins now has that exact same necklace, which he uses to hypnotize Magnum!

I though i'll share the screenshots one more time, as those links are dead:

Here's necklace in this episode:

Here's necklace from the previous episode (Computer Date):

I think of this every time I watch "Try to Remember." A good story could be written regarding how Higgins came to have that pendant that Paolo was seen wearing. 8)
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by K Hale »

karolis wrote:
ENSHealy wrote: 2. The car seat plot device. First, Dave doesn't appear to be taller than Magnum. They stand across from each other in a couple scenes and look about the same height. Second, we know that Thomas doesn't have to move the seat forward, he can barely get it back far enough, the car has even been modified just so he can fit in it. Granted, that's IRL and show universe colliding and I suppose it only being season 2 the writers weren't counting on the deep dives all us fanatics enjoy so much.

And his legs seemed a little bit longer, so that's probably why he would adjust the seat.
I suspect they are about the same height. Selleck looks like he has been told to slump a little bit to seem shorter than Dave. I also think this was set up in our minds during the hospital scene when our first sight of Dave comes from Magnum's POV as he sits in a wheelchair, with the camera looking waaaaay up at Dave to emphasize his height.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#52 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:A great episode! I gave it a 9, and after reading all the comments I'm thinking I should have bumped it up to 9.5 as I am having a hard time thinking what the flaws were. Only a few minor things come to mind:

1. Wendy Gilbert is over the top. She's so egregiously overacted that she might as well be wearing a shirt that says "I killed Joni." The plot twist would have been much bigger had she toned it down a little and been hiding in plain sight, as they say.

2. The car seat plot device. First, Dave doesn't appear to be taller than Magnum. They stand across from each other in a couple scenes and look about the same height. Second, we know that Thomas doesn't have to move the seat forward, he can barely get it back far enough, the car has even been modified just so he can fit in it. Granted, that's IRL and show universe colliding and I suppose it only being season 2 the writers weren't counting on the deep dives all us fanatics enjoy so much. But to me the biggest issue is, how do you get the car off the rack and into the garage driveway without someone driving it there? Did they push it? And, with all that damage, no one test drove it to make sure the "aerodynamics" were back to spec?

At this point, however, I would seem to be quibbling.

Flub: Rick says Dave was convicted of "Security fraud." Pretty sure he meant "Securities fraud." Either that or Dave was a bad alarm installer?

Flub, or just bad set design? Magnum is in the "Intensive Coronary Unit." Ummm, why? He didn't have a heart attack, he was in a car crash. I suppose the double doors could be for both the "Intensive Care Unit" and the "Intensive Coronary Unit."

Car Talk: When Tanaka takes TM to the crime scene, he's driving a Chevy Citation. He must only take the Plymouth out when he's expecting a chase!

When TM returns with the Audi, there are a couple of shots where you can see the courtyard colonnade behind Higgins through the double doors, which wouldn't be there based on internal shots where it would be the hall between the wine cellar doors, the living room with the Gaugin, and Higgin's study.

ENSHealy,

I noticed that shot of the colonnade years ago, in late 80's reruns, I think. That's when I knew for certain the interiors of Pahonu were very different than shown on the show. After I saw the house on Hawaii Five-O around the same time, I began making sketches of what I thought the real interior might be like. I remember recognizing the estate while watching Woe to Wo Fat one afternoon, and jamming a VHS tape into the VCR to record it. That episode has more scenes at the estate than any other, I think. All these years later, with DVR's and especially this forum, I can't believe how my model has progressed. I never would have thought it possible then.

Also, thanks for all the episode analysis. I'm enjoying the Magnumometer a lot! :magnum:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:
karolis wrote:

I suspect they are about the same height. Selleck looks like he has been told to slump a little bit to seem shorter than Dave. I also think this was set up in our minds during the hospital scene when our first sight of Dave comes from Magnum's POV as he sits in a wheelchair, with the camera looking waaaaay up at Dave to emphasize his height.
TM is definitely slumping in the photo, in the plot at that point he's hobbled by the car accident injuries, and sort of limping around hunched over a bit. He is also leaning on his cane, so I think if he were standing up straight, they'd be pretty much the same height. In my universe, no one is taller than Magnum....
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by ENSHealy »

Pahonu wrote:Also, thanks for all the episode analysis. I'm enjoying the Magnumometer a lot! :magnum:
Thanks! It is so much fun to watch an episode, see what I can catch, and then read through the forum to see what I missed. Your work on the estate will be invaluable when I win the lottery and begin rebuilding Pahonu!! Powerball is up over $300MM this Saturday....
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ENSHealy »

2.15 TRY TO REMEMBER
Hawaiian shirts: 2
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum bullet wounds:
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5 No reference to the book, but TM describes how to lose a tail.
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Higgins Organizations:
Magnumometer: 4.5

The best moment is when Higgins is waiting behind the door for TM to return. The look on his face! It would have been even better, in my mind, if the script hadn't had Thomas calling him out on it. Just let it be a little secret for regular viewers to appreciate.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence