1%

Total votes: 123

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Italian Ice (2.16)

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:
308GUY wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:was that TC breaking the 4th wall in the chopper when Magnum told him to take off? Sure looked like it.
Sure looked like it to me, I thought it was great! Don't recall seeing TC doing it anywhere else, though not saying it's impossible, only that I don't recall seeing it.:)

Cracked me up when TM got in the chopper on the roof, and TC was expecting his paying fare, that would be a good vid clip to find and post, TC's reaction that is.. :lol:
TC does it once in season one about magnum owing him something. Something along the lines of "Does it ever occur to you..."

T.C. says hello. :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#62 Post by Doc Ibold »

That's it!

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

#63 Post by runawayselleck »

Hi,
I have to say that this is my favourite episode of Magnum, the one I always seem to go back to. So many great moments, and Mimi Rogers was indeed a very hot lady.

Two things I want to comment on though...

I remember watching this when I was a kid (I was born in 1976 so I was very young). I remember thinking, even then, how dumb it was that the baddie had to have the same Ferrari as Magnum, even down to the colour. It just seemed a stupid plot device (they are terms I think in now, back then it was "how did magnum drive his car to Italy? Oh hang on, it isn't his car? huh?)

The second thing I want to comment on is the thing that always annoys me in this episode is when Mimi Rogers kisses the student, for what seems like forever, in her acting class. It was so over the top, I doubt that any drama teacher would do that (can you imagine the fuss that would be made if a male drama teacher did that to a female student) I know the student probably enjoyed it (!) but I think it was really over the top. Magnum just standing there with a dumb smile on his face while it was happening was also weird. Other than that I really love the episode. Oh...possible flub...TC tells the baddies flying in the helicopter that it will take an hour to fly to Robins Nest. Before that Magnum tells his girlfriend to wait outside while he speaks to Higgins. When Magnum comes out to see her after TC flys over. So Magnum was in there for an hour??? Seemed a long time....

Anyway, great episode.

Runaway Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#64 Post by Doc Ibold »

Good catch on the missing hour.

The only thing I can think of is that going to Robins Nest would take them over their allotted flight, so he was charging them an extra hour?

Or, as you put it, a flub!

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

#65 Post by runawayselleck »

Mimi Rogers, anyone seen Full Body Massage? If you have, you will know Selleck must have had a great time dating her!

Simply BEAUTIFUL!!! :shock:

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#66 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

runawayselleck wrote:Hi,
I have to say that this is my favourite episode of Magnum, the one I always seem to go back to. So many great moments, and Mimi Rogers was indeed a very hot lady.

Two things I want to comment on though...

I remember watching this when I was a kid (I was born in 1976 so I was very young). I remember thinking, even then, how dumb it was that the baddie had to have the same Ferrari as Magnum, even down to the colour. It just seemed a stupid plot device (they are terms I think in now, back then it was "how did magnum drive his car to Italy? Oh hang on, it isn't his car? huh?)
How did he make it to the villa in the first place? We only get to see the Ferrari and a Rolls Royce. Are we supposed to believe that he rented a car at the airport to drive to the villa and then left it there abandoned while rental days keep piling on his bill (or more likely Robin's)?

On the subject of Mimi Rogers, I'm sure I'm the only one but I find her really annoying here. I had the same problem with Dana Delaney. It must me that bland, frumpy, saccharine "All-American" thing about them and the mousy voice that do nothing for me.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the nutty girl looks like Drew Barrymore?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by charybdis1966 »

I noticed that when Higgins comes in to the study just before he gets shot he says "the cricket was called." presumably he meant "called off"?

Additionally I noticed he had entirely inappropriate footwear on for playing cricket, they looked like white loafers to me, to be really fussy about that he should have either had small spiked shoes or if the pitch was dry, pimply soled cricket boots would have been fine too.

Now I've got that off my chest, I thought Ann Dusenberry reminded me of a less annoying Shelly Long. She played the part of a damsel in distress who turns into a whack job really well.

I also enjoyed Higgins OMG just before he utters the famous phrase "that's not a scratch it's a bloody gouge". Top stuff from J Hillerman.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#68 Post by Doc Ibold »

charybdis1966 wrote:I noticed that when Higgins comes in to the study just before he gets shot he says "the cricket was called. "presumably he meant "called off"?

Additionally I noticed he had entirely inappropriate footwear on for playing cricket, they looked like white loafers to me, to be really fussy about that he should have either had small spiked shoes or if the pitch was dry, pimply soled cricket boots would have been fine too.

Now I've got that off my chest, I thought Ann Dusenberry reminded me of a less annoying Shelly Long. She played the part of a damsel in distress who turns into a whack job really well.

I also enjoyed Higgins OMG just before he utters the famous phrase"that's not a scratch it's a bloody gouge". Top stuff from J Hillerman.
Good observation, but do you think he would have driven home in boots or spikes or just changed his shoes?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by charybdis1966 »

The way I'm thinking, Doc, is that seeing as the cricket match wasn't called off due to bad weather(as it was sunny and dry), then Higgins could have worn pimple soled shoes which he could have driven home in.

Now I know what you're thinking, :lol: , what if he was a bowler and needed to wear spikes even if the pitch was dry ?

Well, looking at Higgins' age there is no way he could have been a fast/medium pace bowler and must probably be a slow/spin bowler therefore the pimple soles would have been sufficient to bowl in.

That was my thinking anyway and then I started pondering the back story to this called off match and why it was called off, maybe due to a lack of players ? Does anyone know if we ever get to see Higgins actually play a cricket match; I seem to recall somewhere on the board seeing we do see him playing.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by 308GTS »

Hello everyone, long time since I've been on here, but good to be back.

Anyway, I've just started watching my favourite TV show again, up to Season 2 now. This episode always amuses me, so many funny and interesting moments. And Ann Dusenberry was super hot...! despite being cast as a loon! Gorgeous lady!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#71 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought this was a brilliant episode. The begining part in Italy where Magnum had to rescue the girl because Robin set this up as a favor for his friend was great. It was Magnum combining his private investigating with his military background to pull off what seemed impossible. For those picking at nits about the car and how Magnum got there, it's concievable that Magnum parachuted in from Robin's private plane close to the villa and then stole the car since the cover was blown. It's also possible there were other people in on the case in Italy that got him close to the house and were able to get him the keys to the Ferrari.

Not really much wrong with this one for me. The outdoor drama classes struck me as a bit odd, but nothing that hurt the episode for me. Katrina was a brilliant character. They slowly morphed her from girl in trouble, to girl with a bit of a crush on Magnum, to pushy girl, to complete psychopath. Lenny Montana was a great foil to Magnum due to his size and look. Magnum having trouble with his ribs and later with speaking due to the fights really cemented that. I think they made it clear that it was Katrina that scratched the car. I believe they mentioned she had use of the Audi and she had been stalking Magnum so it wasn't a stretch that when he turned down her offer that she'd tail him. I was mildly surprised that nobody was shot during the final acting class scene. I figured Katrina would shoot either Magnum or be shot by him. Margo probably broke things off with Magnum which is why we never saw her again. It'd be hard to blame her after she was stood up at the airport and had a derranged stalker show up at her job prepared to kill her. She probably was afraid of Magnum's next client finishing the job.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Milton Collins »

I accidentally clicked on the wrong number and rated this a 7.5, I am so mad as I love this episode! I wanted to give it a 9.5, just a fantastic, dark, twisted love story with two attractive women after Magnum (Mimi Rogers especially, wow!!) From the rescue at the Itialian villa to the climatic scene at the college, this one is just great! And poor Higgy gets blasted!!!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#73 Post by marlboro »

Milton Collins wrote:Mimi Rogers especially, wow!!
Mimi has never looked better than she did in the scene beside the ocean.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: the guys behind the camera did a fantastic job of capturing the female guest stars at their most beautiful. At least in the early seasons. Those late 80s fashions (huge shoulder pads) and (gigantic) hair styles weren't very sexy imo.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Milton Collins »

Ok I just watched this one again, and this is a very entertaining episode! A few high points:

-Mimi Rogers was GORGEOUS and also did a really good job. I would have liked to see her character return or have a multi episode love interest with TM. I believe that she and Tom Selleck were dating in real life around the time this episode aired?

-I love the opening. TM traveling to Sicily to rescue Katrina was really cool.

-Both fight scenes with the giant Italian bodyguard were great and seemed very realistic. He had to be at least 3 times the size of TM lol.

-Anne Dusenberry did a fantastic job of playing the ever dispicable and completely insane Katrina. From the beginning breakfast scene where she is completely rude and condiscending to poor Higgins calling him a servant etc. to the end and her attempted murder of Margo she play's a very deranged and extremely dangerous nutcase the likes of Fatal Attraction. This adds a dark element and helps make this a really good episode.

-Poor Higgy get's blasted by the nutcase and then as he falls to the couch and calls for the Lad's to answer the phone for him. One of my all time fav Higgins scenes!

One comment: there is NO WAY that Margo would have made out with that student as his drama teacher. Not the biggest of deals but just thought that was really cheesy and unrealistic. With that being said if Mimi Rogers is teaching that class and still getting that interactive with her student's I'm ready to sign up for drama class! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#75 Post by Pahonu »

Milton Collins wrote:One comment: there is NO WAY that Margo would have made out with that student as his drama teacher. Not the biggest of deals but just thought that was really cheesy and unrealistic. With that being said if Mimi Rogers is teaching that class and still getting that interactive with her student's I'm ready to sign up for drama class! Sorry, couldn't resist.
I audited a drama class when I was in college in the early 90's and the female professor and a male grad student performed a pretty intimate scene where they kissed. They were holding each other on a couch for most of the scene. One year the drama department performed HAIR and the professor had to direct several students in the nude scene at the end of Act I. These are all adults we're talking about here. On a slightly different note, me and some friends drank beer and played cards with one of our professors in the staff lounge back then. Just saying it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.