5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 123

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Italian Ice (2.16)

#81 Post by Little Garwood »

Rating 8.5 [Very Good]

I remember loving and completely accepting Magnum sneaking around and going in like a commando when he rescues Katrina in the villa in "Sicily", :wink: so this episode brings back some good childhood memories.

There's plenty of anti-"Higgins-is-Robin-Masters" sentiment in Italian Ice, as Katrina tells the story of when a mere "servant" defeated both her father and Robin Masters at chess. This is the kind of rational stuff that puts to shame the last-second, "Wouldn't it be a great idea, if...?" nonsense that was shoehorned into MPI towards the end of the (largely) glorious series run.

I like a lot about this episode. The gang working together, including a gunshot Higgins disregarding his own life in order to warn Thomas of psychobabe Katrina (Ann Dusenberry, who was superb) who was coming for Margo.

Speaking of Margo, let me add to the chorus of praise for the delightful Mimi Rogers. Not only does she look great here, but she and Tom Selleck had fantastic on-screen chemistry together. Mimi Rogers combines the best aspects of Mary Steenbergen in terms of her speaking voice as well as somehow reminding me of Dana Delany's mannerisms; it all comes together beautifully. I wish we had seen Margo a few more times down the years.

Jean Claudio-as-The-Marchese was merely okay, though he did toss out some great Bellisario-penned dialogue in his scenes at the hotel. I did get the impression that he was a worthy and dangerous adversary, though. That's more because of Lenny Montana as the bodyguard; the guy was naturally hilarious! I liked the homage to the The Godfather, Part II with the way the Marchese's armed gunmen were dressed like those in Sicily in that film.

Lots of good scenes in the guesthouse. I never realized that Magnum's bedroom had a closet (d'oh!) and it just about lines up to the stairway on the other side of the wall, or does it?

Rick mentions Five-0, which is always a welcome reference. What a long shadow the older program cast over Magnum, P.I. at that time. I appreciate the respect given to McGarrett and co. Of course, MPI would become a legend in its own right by the fourth season.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Turkey
Admiral

#82 Post by Turkey »

Little Garwood wrote:Rating 8.5 [Very Good]

Speaking of Margo, let me add to the chorus of praise for the delightful Mimi Rogers. Not only does she look great here, but she and Tom Selleck had fantastic on-screen chemistry together. Mimi Rogers combines the best aspects of Mary Steenbergen in terms of her speaking voice as well as somehow reminding me of Dana Delany's mannerisms; it all comes together beautifully. I wish we had seen Margo a few more times down the years.

Agreed!
Make it two weeks.

Lance Mannion
Lieutenant Commander

#83 Post by Lance Mannion »

Little Garwood wrote:Rating 8.5 [Very Good]

There's plenty of anti-"Higgins-is-Robin-Masters" sentiment in Italian Ice, as Katrina tells the story of when a mere "servant" defeated both her father and Robin Masters at chess. This is the kind of rational stuff that puts to shame the last-second, "Wouldn't it be a great idea, if...?" nonsense that was shoehorned into MPI towards the end of the (largely) glorious series run.
I respectfully disagree ... Especially, upon a re-watch ... The First Pilot show (first scene); first "Magnum" - Self-talk - Opens up the plot question, of who really is in charge ? ... I'm not saying, a "hard" plot line, character arc, and/or narrative arc ...

But the question was out there from the very beginning ... This is obvious, in form and substance, especially if you recall the details and you have a military background (as both the Characters did ...)

Certainly either the writers or the "writers consultants" of Magnum-PI, had a knowledge of military life. Even the most creative minds, could not make up such nuance ...

One of the many reasons that War and Peace (fade to The Return of Luther H. Gillis :-)) , is so un-paralleled in all of Western Literature - Was that Leo Tolstoy, at one point, had been a combat soldier ...

The "Higgins-is-Robin-Masters," option was there right from the very start, I could do a point by point - but people seem to have their minds made up here (one-way or the other :-) ...

Regards,

LM

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by KingKC »

This one had the best opening scene of all episodes. I really didn't worry about how TM got there or back to Hawaii for that matter as it seemed to be obvious that he did get there and the later scenes implied that he obviously got back and that was not the point of the scene anyway. The girlfriend (Mimi Rogers) character intrigued me but she was gone after the one episode which convinces me the writers, producers and directors did not want to put one girl in that "girlfriend" role for recurring parts. They wanted TS as TM to be available "beefcake" for all the damsels in distress even though Magnum made mention about not having relationships with clients due to the unprofessional aspect. A really fun plot, though, with twists and a great ending with the students thinking it was all acting. By the way, nowadays if you actually did play out the intimate kissing scene shown between instructor and student there would probably be a sexual harassment complaint filed. I am not sure you could even do something like that between students.

KingKC

Turkey
Admiral

#85 Post by Turkey »

Forgot how funny it was that Higgins started to tell a story on the phone, even while shot, lying on the floor and bleeding!
Make it two weeks.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#86 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Great episode! I always imagined Magnum chuted in to the country side from RMs' private jet and had planned on procuring a ride back to the airfield from the bad guys estate. He deliberately took the keys out of the other cars and had a working knowledge of the grounds and where her bedroom was. Remember Magnum was a Navy SEAL. This was an easy snatch and grab probably planned on the long flight from Hawaii. The only thing I didn't understand was how he's tired and sleepy after the flight back, unless he partied the whole way back haha. Also imagine the penalty for having a pistol in a foreign country if he was caught. Katrina sure was loony tunes, did anyone else catch the glance she gave the bodyguard when he entered her room and TM was behind the door?? It was like she wanted to see them fight! As far as the kiss in drama class I'm pretty sure it was extended to make Tom a little jealous. All in all a wonderful episode.
That reminds me of the time....

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#87 Post by Hawaii Winds »

J.J. Walters wrote:One of the classic early episodes featuring the wonderful Mimi Rogers as Magnum's girlfriend. This is one of those episodes that's very dark in tone (a female stalker, pre-Fatal Attraction, but post-Play Misty For Me), but is also filled with some great, humorous moments. The episode is bookended with two great scenes, and Higgie-Baby is shot. Don't miss this one.
Higgie-Baby could have done a better job of getting shot...not just flubbing on the couch!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by K Hale »

charybdis1966 wrote:The way I'm thinking, Doc, is that seeing as the cricket match wasn't called off due to bad weather(as it was sunny and dry), then Higgins could have worn pimple soled shoes which he could have driven home in.

Now I know what you're thinking, :lol: , what if he was a bowler and needed to wear spikes even if the pitch was dry ?

Well, looking at Higgins' age there is no way he could have been a fast/medium pace bowler and must probably be a slow/spin bowler therefore the pimple soles would have been sufficient to bowl in.

That was my thinking anyway and then I started pondering the back story to this called off match and why it was called off, maybe due to a lack of players ? Does anyone know if we ever get to see Higgins actually play a cricket match; I seem to recall somewhere on the board seeing we do see him playing.
Nope. Higgins wears a cricket uniform at the beginning of "Mac's Back," but aside from one tennis serve in "Mixed Doubles," the only sport we ever see him play is polo. Which, like all riding endeavours, is more about skill than athleticism.

He said the cricket match was called because of rain. Perhaps it had poured rain earlier and the ground was too saturated to play, or it was raining when he arrived there but stopped before he got back to the estate. If so, maybe his cricket shoes got muddy and to keep mud out of the car, he left them in the trunk or whatever and drove home in the other shoes.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by ENSHealy »

a gunshot Higgins disregarding his own life in order to warn Thomas of psychobabe Katrina
Not to quibble, but Thomas called Higgins from the Marchese's hotel room, after he found out about the stolen necklace. (Remember, Higgins had to have Zeus answer the phone.) So I'm not sure we can credit Higgins for trying to warn Thomas with his last breath. Even if he wanted to, I don't think Higgins knew where Thomas was at the time, as Rick had only told Thomas about the Marchese being in town while they were driving to the hotel, which presumably happened while Higgins was going to and from the cancelled cricket match.
He said the cricket match was called because of rain.

After Thomas phones Higgins, he goes to the hotel roof and hops in the chopper with TC. The roof of the hotel is wet and although it is sunny over the hotel, the sky is cloudy and stormy looking in the distance, presumably meaning it had just rained...the same rain that cancelled Higgins cricket match! (Although it must have been fast moving storm, as it wasn't raining when Thomas and Nuzo were fighting on the patio mere minutes earlier.) :)

One note about the Episode Guide entry: it says that we learn that Higgins was the greatest "long croquet" player in the Pacific. I'm pretty sure the actual reference should be to "lawn croquet."
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by K Hale »

Nice observation on the weather conditions! And yes that should 100% be "lawn" croquet.

But don't forget that guy on Guam. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

#91 Post by karolis »

Quote from the Episode Guide:
When Magnum pulls out of the estate after talking to Katrina, there is a shot of the Ferrari making a turn with a different driver, one with no baseball cap and a different shirt on. In the next immediate shot we see Magnum again with the correct cap and shirt.
Here's the screenshot of the guy in the Ferrari:

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. Italian Ice
5. Try to Remember
6. The Woman on the Beach
7. The Jororo Kill
8. Computer Date
9. Dead Man’s Channel
10. Wave Goodbye
11. Ghost Writer
12. The Sixth Position
13. From Moscow to Maui
14. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
15. Billy Joe Bob
16. Mad Buck Gibson

It looks like at this point of the season show really was on a rise, because it's 4th episode in a row that i rated 9.0-9.5.
Last edited by karolis on Sat May 19, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#92 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yep, and that's definitely not Selleck! That's Tom Lupo, one of his stunt double's! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by K Hale »

By the way, as someone who took Italian in high school, "buongiorno" is ten letters. :higgins:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Not sure if this is on the DVD print, but the Blu-ray of this episode has this visible for a split second when Magnum asks "You're not angry anymore?".

As someone with a Theatre diploma and acting classes under her belt, exercises like Margo's can be done today, but more often (at least in my neck of the woods) they're between two students and not a student and a teacher, with the actors' comfort being the most important thing, so an actor touching another without prior permission would be a huge no-no.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by K Hale »

Of note: Higgins' breakfast drink in this scene is champagne. There's not any tea, or coffee. There isn't even any OJ on the table to make mimosas or anything like that. He's just straight up drinking champagne for breakfast. :lol: :higgins:

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!