No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 123

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Italian Ice (2.16)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Italian Ice (2.16). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/4/1982
Robin asks Magnum to fly to Sicily to rescue a beautiful young woman who is in the clutches of dangerous mobsters. The woman develops an immediate crush of Magnum, which puts his new relationship in jeopardy. Later, when the mobsters turn up on the island, trouble kicks into high gear.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

One of the classic early episodes featuring the wonderful Mimi Rogers as Magnum's girlfriend. This is one of those episodes that's very dark in tone (a female stalker, pre-Fatal Attraction, but post-Play Misty For Me), but is also filled with some great, humorous moments. The episode is bookended with two great scenes, and Higgie-Baby is shot. Don't miss this one.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

grundle
Admiral

#3 Post by grundle »

It also has that great line against the communists!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

grundle wrote:It also has that great line against the communists!
Ahh, I vaguely recall that grundle. Do you happen to remember how it goes?

grundle
Admiral

#5 Post by grundle »

Magnum comments that the rich Italian guy probably didn't pay the taxes on the piece of jewelry that the girl stole from him. And then the rich Italian guy says, "Why should I? They'd just give the money to the communists."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh yes, I remember now! Very cool line. Thanks grundle.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

For those that get the "Chiller" network, all this week they are replaying a 1977 tv movie called, "The Possessed". Among the cast are Ann Dusenberry and a young Harrison Ford (as a college professor!).

Oddly enough, last weekend Ann kept popping up as another traumatized teen in Jaws 2. :shock:

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by eegorr »

I just watched this episode again. It was on WGN yesterday.

I remembered that somehow, Magnum drove off from the Sicilian villa in a red Ferrari, just like Robin's, but I didn't remember the specifics. Turns out, he stole it! 8)

This made me think about how he got there in the first place. Did he take a cab or parachute out of a plane? :lol:

Any ideas? Is there more to the rescue scene in the DVD version of this episode?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

eegorr wrote:I just watched this episode again. It was on WGN yesterday.

I remembered that somehow, Magnum drove off from the Sicilian villa in a red Ferrari, just like Robin's, but I didn't remember the specifics. Turns out, he stole it! 8)

This made me think about how he got there in the first place. Did he take a cab or parachute out of a plane? :lol:

Any ideas? Is there more to the rescue scene in the DVD version of this episode?
The DVD version of this episode does not answer the question of how Magnum actually gets to the Villa. We know he was flown there in Robin's jet, but that is where it ends. If I remember correctly, the first shot we see is of Magnum already on the Villa grounds. So, I guess this is one of those plot holes we talk so much about.

I have another question about this episode. Was it ever revealed who scratched Robin's Ferrari while parked at the University of Hawaii? Remember, Magnum thought this may have been revenge for scratching the Marquises' Ferrari while Magnum was escaping.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

I could have sworn that it WAS the Marquise who did it, as I thought he dropped a little hint about it. On my next round through Season 2, I'll have to remember to check for that.

I remember first watching that I thought it was Katrina who did it, but how could she have gotten off the grounds (prior to shooting Higgins)?

And if it was Hawaiian dude and girlfriend, they have to be the most reactionary people in the world!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#11 Post by Shermy »

Doc Ibold wrote:I could have sworn that it WAS the Marquise who did it, as I thought he dropped a little hint about it.
Magnum confronts him about it, but the Marquise doesn't know what he's talking about. He then admits it wasn't him, but that it sounds like a really great idea.

I think it's implied that Katrina was responsible, since whoever did it observed Magnum's reaction through a telescopic lens- and Katrina later develops photos in the darkroom.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I got the impression that it was Katrina Tremaine as well. *shudder* Just saying her name kind of creeps me out. She's seriously more scary than Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction or Evelyn Draper in Play Misty For Me! Run Magnum Run!!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

Yeah, nutty as a fruitcake.

However, this episode has one of the best resolutions in the series.

The whole scene where all the students think its an act, AWESOME

grundle
Admiral

#14 Post by grundle »

Car Damage page wrote: http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/Car_Damage.html

Car Damage

Fender Scratch

"Italian Ice" (2.16)

Apparently caused by a student at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, where the car was parked.

Nope. The scratch was made by Katrina.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

grundle wrote:Nope. The scratch was made by Katrina.
Doh!

Clearly I need to watch this episode again. In another thread, my recollection was that Magnum shot Katrina at the end. Wrong! Here, I thought a student scratched the Ferrari when it was Katrina! :oops:

Anyway, thanks grundle!