No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 123

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Italian Ice (2.16)

#71 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought this was a brilliant episode. The begining part in Italy where Magnum had to rescue the girl because Robin set this up as a favor for his friend was great. It was Magnum combining his private investigating with his military background to pull off what seemed impossible. For those picking at nits about the car and how Magnum got there, it's concievable that Magnum parachuted in from Robin's private plane close to the villa and then stole the car since the cover was blown. It's also possible there were other people in on the case in Italy that got him close to the house and were able to get him the keys to the Ferrari.

Not really much wrong with this one for me. The outdoor drama classes struck me as a bit odd, but nothing that hurt the episode for me. Katrina was a brilliant character. They slowly morphed her from girl in trouble, to girl with a bit of a crush on Magnum, to pushy girl, to complete psychopath. Lenny Montana was a great foil to Magnum due to his size and look. Magnum having trouble with his ribs and later with speaking due to the fights really cemented that. I think they made it clear that it was Katrina that scratched the car. I believe they mentioned she had use of the Audi and she had been stalking Magnum so it wasn't a stretch that when he turned down her offer that she'd tail him. I was mildly surprised that nobody was shot during the final acting class scene. I figured Katrina would shoot either Magnum or be shot by him. Margo probably broke things off with Magnum which is why we never saw her again. It'd be hard to blame her after she was stood up at the airport and had a derranged stalker show up at her job prepared to kill her. She probably was afraid of Magnum's next client finishing the job.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Milton Collins »

I accidentally clicked on the wrong number and rated this a 7.5, I am so mad as I love this episode! I wanted to give it a 9.5, just a fantastic, dark, twisted love story with two attractive women after Magnum (Mimi Rogers especially, wow!!) From the rescue at the Itialian villa to the climatic scene at the college, this one is just great! And poor Higgy gets blasted!!!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#73 Post by marlboro »

Milton Collins wrote:Mimi Rogers especially, wow!!
Mimi has never looked better than she did in the scene beside the ocean.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: the guys behind the camera did a fantastic job of capturing the female guest stars at their most beautiful. At least in the early seasons. Those late 80s fashions (huge shoulder pads) and (gigantic) hair styles weren't very sexy imo.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Milton Collins »

Ok I just watched this one again, and this is a very entertaining episode! A few high points:

-Mimi Rogers was GORGEOUS and also did a really good job. I would have liked to see her character return or have a multi episode love interest with TM. I believe that she and Tom Selleck were dating in real life around the time this episode aired?

-I love the opening. TM traveling to Sicily to rescue Katrina was really cool.

-Both fight scenes with the giant Italian bodyguard were great and seemed very realistic. He had to be at least 3 times the size of TM lol.

-Anne Dusenberry did a fantastic job of playing the ever dispicable and completely insane Katrina. From the beginning breakfast scene where she is completely rude and condiscending to poor Higgins calling him a servant etc. to the end and her attempted murder of Margo she play's a very deranged and extremely dangerous nutcase the likes of Fatal Attraction. This adds a dark element and helps make this a really good episode.

-Poor Higgy get's blasted by the nutcase and then as he falls to the couch and calls for the Lad's to answer the phone for him. One of my all time fav Higgins scenes!

One comment: there is NO WAY that Margo would have made out with that student as his drama teacher. Not the biggest of deals but just thought that was really cheesy and unrealistic. With that being said if Mimi Rogers is teaching that class and still getting that interactive with her student's I'm ready to sign up for drama class! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#75 Post by Pahonu »

Milton Collins wrote:One comment: there is NO WAY that Margo would have made out with that student as his drama teacher. Not the biggest of deals but just thought that was really cheesy and unrealistic. With that being said if Mimi Rogers is teaching that class and still getting that interactive with her student's I'm ready to sign up for drama class! Sorry, couldn't resist.
I audited a drama class when I was in college in the early 90's and the female professor and a male grad student performed a pretty intimate scene where they kissed. They were holding each other on a couch for most of the scene. One year the drama department performed HAIR and the professor had to direct several students in the nude scene at the end of Act I. These are all adults we're talking about here. On a slightly different note, me and some friends drank beer and played cards with one of our professors in the staff lounge back then. Just saying it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by Milton Collins »

Pahonu wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:One comment: there is NO WAY that Margo would have made out with that student as his drama teacher. Not the biggest of deals but just thought that was really cheesy and unrealistic. With that being said if Mimi Rogers is teaching that class and still getting that interactive with her student's I'm ready to sign up for drama class! Sorry, couldn't resist.
I audited a drama class when I was in college in the early 90's and the female professor and a male grad student performed a pretty intimate scene where they kissed. They were holding each other on a couch for most of the scene. One year the drama department performed HAIR and the professor had to direct several students in the nude scene at the end of Act I. These are all adults we're talking about here. On a slightly different note, me and some friends drank beer and played cards with one of our professors in the staff lounge back then. Just saying it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

That's interesting Pahonu, I had no idea that those kinds of things actually happened in drama classes. Also, that was a pretty cool setting for a drama class, anyone know what that stadium was where the class took place?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#77 Post by J.J. Walters »

University of Hawaii at Manoa, Andrews Amphitheater.

By the way, love your episode reviews, MC! Keep 'em comin'. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Milton Collins »

J.J. Walters wrote:University of Hawaii at Manoa, Andrews Amphitheater.

Thanks James, I live in Michigan and it's been day after day of whiteout blizzard so I'm using my time to watch sports and a ton of Magnum PI!!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#79 Post by Doc Ibold »

Milton Collins wrote:

Thanks James, I live in Michigan and it's been day after day of whiteout blizzard so I'm using my time to watch sports and a ton of Magnum PI!!
It IS stupid cold here.

:lol:

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Milton Collins »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:

It IS stupid cold here.

:lol:
I know! And what better way to make yourself feel better about it than watching Magnum and seeing all that beautiful Hawiian scenery??? It really seems to take me away from the awful weather, love it!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Little Garwood »

Rating 8.5 [Very Good]

I remember loving and completely accepting Magnum sneaking around and going in like a commando when he rescues Katrina in the villa in "Sicily", :wink: so this episode brings back some good childhood memories.

There's plenty of anti-"Higgins-is-Robin-Masters" sentiment in Italian Ice, as Katrina tells the story of when a mere "servant" defeated both her father and Robin Masters at chess. This is the kind of rational stuff that puts to shame the last-second, "Wouldn't it be a great idea, if...?" nonsense that was shoehorned into MPI towards the end of the (largely) glorious series run.

I like a lot about this episode. The gang working together, including a gunshot Higgins disregarding his own life in order to warn Thomas of psychobabe Katrina (Ann Dusenberry, who was superb) who was coming for Margo.

Speaking of Margo, let me add to the chorus of praise for the delightful Mimi Rogers. Not only does she look great here, but she and Tom Selleck had fantastic on-screen chemistry together. Mimi Rogers combines the best aspects of Mary Steenbergen in terms of her speaking voice as well as somehow reminding me of Dana Delany's mannerisms; it all comes together beautifully. I wish we had seen Margo a few more times down the years.

Jean Claudio-as-The-Marchese was merely okay, though he did toss out some great Bellisario-penned dialogue in his scenes at the hotel. I did get the impression that he was a worthy and dangerous adversary, though. That's more because of Lenny Montana as the bodyguard; the guy was naturally hilarious! I liked the homage to the The Godfather, Part II with the way the Marchese's armed gunmen were dressed like those in Sicily in that film.

Lots of good scenes in the guesthouse. I never realized that Magnum's bedroom had a closet (d'oh!) and it just about lines up to the stairway on the other side of the wall, or does it?

Rick mentions Five-0, which is always a welcome reference. What a long shadow the older program cast over Magnum, P.I. at that time. I appreciate the respect given to McGarrett and co. Of course, MPI would become a legend in its own right by the fourth season.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Turkey
Admiral

#82 Post by Turkey »

Little Garwood wrote:Rating 8.5 [Very Good]

Speaking of Margo, let me add to the chorus of praise for the delightful Mimi Rogers. Not only does she look great here, but she and Tom Selleck had fantastic on-screen chemistry together. Mimi Rogers combines the best aspects of Mary Steenbergen in terms of her speaking voice as well as somehow reminding me of Dana Delany's mannerisms; it all comes together beautifully. I wish we had seen Margo a few more times down the years.

Agreed!
Make it two weeks.

Lance Mannion
Lieutenant Commander

#83 Post by Lance Mannion »

Little Garwood wrote:Rating 8.5 [Very Good]

There's plenty of anti-"Higgins-is-Robin-Masters" sentiment in Italian Ice, as Katrina tells the story of when a mere "servant" defeated both her father and Robin Masters at chess. This is the kind of rational stuff that puts to shame the last-second, "Wouldn't it be a great idea, if...?" nonsense that was shoehorned into MPI towards the end of the (largely) glorious series run.
I respectfully disagree ... Especially, upon a re-watch ... The First Pilot show (first scene); first "Magnum" - Self-talk - Opens up the plot question, of who really is in charge ? ... I'm not saying, a "hard" plot line, character arc, and/or narrative arc ...

But the question was out there from the very beginning ... This is obvious, in form and substance, especially if you recall the details and you have a military background (as both the Characters did ...)

Certainly either the writers or the "writers consultants" of Magnum-PI, had a knowledge of military life. Even the most creative minds, could not make up such nuance ...

One of the many reasons that War and Peace (fade to The Return of Luther H. Gillis :-)) , is so un-paralleled in all of Western Literature - Was that Leo Tolstoy, at one point, had been a combat soldier ...

The "Higgins-is-Robin-Masters," option was there right from the very start, I could do a point by point - but people seem to have their minds made up here (one-way or the other :-) ...

Regards,

LM

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by KingKC »

This one had the best opening scene of all episodes. I really didn't worry about how TM got there or back to Hawaii for that matter as it seemed to be obvious that he did get there and the later scenes implied that he obviously got back and that was not the point of the scene anyway. The girlfriend (Mimi Rogers) character intrigued me but she was gone after the one episode which convinces me the writers, producers and directors did not want to put one girl in that "girlfriend" role for recurring parts. They wanted TS as TM to be available "beefcake" for all the damsels in distress even though Magnum made mention about not having relationships with clients due to the unprofessional aspect. A really fun plot, though, with twists and a great ending with the students thinking it was all acting. By the way, nowadays if you actually did play out the intimate kissing scene shown between instructor and student there would probably be a sexual harassment complaint filed. I am not sure you could even do something like that between students.

KingKC

Turkey
Admiral

#85 Post by Turkey »

Forgot how funny it was that Higgins started to tell a story on the phone, even while shot, lying on the floor and bleeding!
Make it two weeks.