6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 107

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by charybdis1966 »

Some may say the story is a bit lame, but the character dialogue is quite sharp at times.
I especially like it when Higgins points out the superiority of rugby to "American football" - exactly the sort of thing you'd expect him to say.
"I don't see the necessity for all the padding" he says(or something similar) - having watched rugby it is a very savage contact sport and any professional player has a 1 in 3 chance of being injured at any time during the season because of impact injuries.
I like the "Win one for the dipper" misquote - wasn't that one of Ronny Reagan's catchphrases ?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#32 Post by SelleckLover »

This episode is average at best, but my favorite scene is where Dorsey and Magnum are in the locker room relaxing in their respective whirlpool baths and the female owner of the team comes in and introduces herself to Magnum. She extends her hand to shake his, but he does not reciprocate because he is covering his private parts with his hands. Hilarious! :D

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by charybdis1966 »

..and then when she's about to leave she flicks some water in TM's face. Very playful and flirty, but yes a only "slightly better than mediocre" episode.

CrazyWaltChambers
Ensign

I have to give this Episode a "10" !

#34 Post by CrazyWaltChambers »

I have to give this Episode a "10" and throw off the scale a bit. I give it a 10 because I got to play football with Tom and the gang all week, and it was fun to shoot on location at Aloha Stadium. I especially thought the kid who played the killer (CrazyWaltChambers) was especially good ! :lol: It was his first acting job, and it was just a fun time. As far as,Pat M. or Dick B, I was in the show and I didn't see either of them ! Although, Dick and I shared a dressing room on opposite day, so I know he was around. I be back in Hawaii next week, after being away for almost 30 years, and really am looking forward to it. As for favorites, "Infinity & Jelly Donuts" is up there ~ just for the title, alone! Aloha.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome CrazyWalt!

So this is you, huh?

Wait, sorry, wrong screen cap! ;)

Must have been a blast! :)

"Hey Dorsey, I'm your biggest fan."
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

CrazyWaltChambers
Ensign

#36 Post by CrazyWaltChambers »

Yep ! That's me... :roll: It really was a great time. I wrote a a story about how I got on the show years ago ~ that you might enjoy reading !

You'll find it here:

http://jerryschmeer.homestead.com/rainbow.html

Thanks for keeping up the site. It really was a great show !

Jerry

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#37 Post by Styles Bitchley »

CrazyWaltChambers wrote:Yep ! That's me... :roll: It really was a great time. I wrote a a story about how I got on the show years ago ~ that you might enjoy reading !

You'll find it here:

http://jerryschmeer.homestead.com/rainbow.html

Thanks for keeping up the site. It really was a great show !

Jerry
Thanks very much for sharing Jerry. That was a great read. I think many of us here can relate to what a thrill it must have been to find yourself on the set face to face with "the guys!" What an awesome experience.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Little Garwood »

Average at best [7.0] and that's being charitable.

I remember seeing this episode first run. I love the NFL, but for pacing reasons I usually despise sports movies, especially boxing. Football is a close second, though.

This episode had entirely too many scenes in the empty stadium. In fact, I got so restless, I started counting every time someone said the name "Dorsey"! :lol: Makes for a good drinking game.

Pat Morita must've been on vacation and visiting the set, because otherwise the man had absolutely no reason to be there! Wax off, Pat Morita! (Yes, I realize he's already dead).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:Great hard-hitting game! Tom "The Golden Boy" Brady does it again. That guy just never ceases to amaze me! Look out, the Pats could go 16-0, then win the Super Bowl! :shock:
Would you settle for 18-1, with their only loss being the Super Bowl? :D
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#40 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL!

Well, they almost did it. ;)

Maybe it's just me, but Dorsey kind of reminds me of Joe Montana. He has the same body type and his face kind of (sort of) looks like him. A little. But he sure can't throw like him.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Okay...are we back in some stupid high school locker room? :shock: This has got to be one of the worst, and most ridiculous, plots/episodes of the series! :cry:

This is just as bad as the "Charlie's Angels" episode "Pom Pom Angels"...where they go undercover at some minor league football game as cheerleaders. Whether it's Magnum or the Angels...we are talking about 27-35 year old people here, folks! GROW THE HECK UP!!! :roll: Leave the locker room mentality for the teens...and their coaches, who most never grew up out of the locker rooms themselves. :wink:

This episode was pathetic and served no point, and I hardly ever watch it when going through the show! :x This, along with "Adelaide" and "Billy Joe Bob", may very well be my least favorite episodes of the show. :evil:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

grambax
Lieutenant

#42 Post by grambax »

A very weak episode for me. I have no interest in sport, and no knowledge of American football, so that didn't help. But I've enjoyed plenty of other sports/football films and programs, so I don't think its just bias. However a few good moments save it from being a complete bust.

The bad -

Magnum AND TC both ending up on the team? Just silly.

The plot is weak - three attempts (or apparent attempts) on the same person, from two different sources, by coincidence? The villain's plot is pretty weak and as soon as it is exposed simply pulling a gun on everybody? Cliched stuff.

Magnum does little to advance the plot and the whole thing feels like an excuse for a football episode.

The good -

There are some good character moments. The camera pull-back of Higgins and the dogs, alone, is a great shot, as everybody seems to agree. But Higgins starting his polo story, and being left to tell it to Rick, who hangs his head in resignation, is nice too.

The ending, and final shot are pretty nice.

The bathtub scene is fun.

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned how long Tom Selleck stretches out his reaction to finding out the player he's trying to question doesn't speak English. I'd swear the laughter of the crew had to be dubbed over, and I doubt that scene was intended to run so long. I think it was just a bit of casual "business" that they allowed to remain and let us see.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#43 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

SelleckLover wrote:This episode is average at best, but my favorite scene is where Dorsey and Magnum are in the locker room relaxing in their respective whirlpool baths and the female owner of the team comes in and introduces herself to Magnum. She extends her hand to shake his, but he does not reciprocate because he is covering his private parts with his hands. Hilarious! :D
You naughty girl!

TheLads
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#44 Post by TheLads »

Shermy wrote:Of course, there's an effort made to gloss over this fact by having the team's owner stage an equally foolish assassination attempt on Magnum! But even though he uncovers the plot to sabotage Dorsey's shoulder...it doesn't really make any difference. Dorsey still opts to risk further injury, and everything we've learned about him suggests he'll continue on in this manner. So I'm not sure Magnum actually does anything in this episode. :lol:

Lastly, the title always reminds me of Magnum's baseball-themed speech to Mad Buck Gibson, where he offers his father's advice about only getting "one summer...no matter how long it lasts".
Yep, and like with Mad Buck Gibson and his hang-gliding, TM doesn't stop Dorsey from doing what he wants to do in the end, even if it means injury, or worse.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

gmt16750 wrote:It's all worth the Higgins/Magnum relation. All their scenes together are quite fantastic and best scene in my opinion is Higgins' monologue with great shot of the estate that seems so desolated without Magnum. When Magnum tells him that he's leaving, seeking for a place without dogs, Higgins' facial expression is better than thousand words.
I thought James J. Walters' quote : "Higgins: As a matter of fact, the aura of pastoral serenity that has permeated the estate since your departure is positively delightful. The birds sing. The Lads frolic..." was from this episode.
Well, it's not and i still wonder which episode does this masterpiece quote come from?
as I am watching the series on DVD in order, this is a clever mechanism (or just dumb luck) that either saves an otherwise ho-hum episode or enhances a good plot. As long as they incorporate it somehow, it's a no lose deal.