6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 107

snp389
Captain

#51 Post by snp389 »

I love the scene where JQH and the 'Lads' are on the estate lawn.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#52 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

The coach was obviously based on Bear Bryant, and I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was based on Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, the only female owner in the NFL at the time. We also see a precursor to Tim Tebow in the God-fearing reserve quarterback.

There is a couple of possible 'flubs':

1) When TM enters the locker room looking for Dorsey he walks past at least a dozen people just to ask the weird guy who's banging his head against the locker. Why would he do that?

2) When Higgins delivers Magnum's mail in the locker room, how does he know Magnum is there? He never told him anything about his case...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: One More Summer (2.17)

#53 Post by 308GUY »

snp389 wrote:I love the scene where JQH and the 'Lads' are on the estate lawn
I got a charge outa that scene too. JQH making "plans" for the evening with the lads....missing, but not saying he misses TM. Like he's trying very hard to convice himself about being glad TM's "gone". I think the perspective used was very effective, in that it made JQH look like he was feeling (or I assume he was feeling)....alone and small with just the lads for company and amusement.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This one was really a mixed bag for me. I am not a fan of American football at all so the story wasn't going to appeal to me all that much based on that. Taking that into account, I found it to be pretty poorly done.

I can see Magnum being hired to help protect this player that used to be his back up at Navy. What I can't see is that the actor seems far younger than Magnum which made it hard to believe they'd been teammates. TC just trying out for the team and making it at the same time Magnum was undercover was a bit much. It's not that feasable that a guy in his late 30s to early 40s with no professional experience and having not played the game at an organised level in around 13 years is really stretching. Pat Morita's role being so short was a disappointment as well. I thought they could've gotten another scene out of him at least. It seemed, at times, Magnum was there mostly to play around and be part of the football team than it did trying to protect his client or learn more about whom was out to kill him.

I liked the twist where there was another threat when the stalker was eliminated. They did that part of the story very well. Magnum realising what the team doctor was doing to Dorsey was also a very well done part. This was actually kind of relevant as players often got cortisone shots and ignored injuries to keep playing. In most professional sports there were abuses by team medical staffs to various degrees. Be it supplying pills, misdiagnosing injuries to suit team needs, etc. this was done and reflected well in the show.

daveinitiv
Ensign

#55 Post by daveinitiv »

SignGuyHPW wrote: I liked the twist where there was another threat when the stalker was eliminated. They did that part of the story very well. Magnum realising what the team doctor was doing to Dorsey was also a very well done part. This was actually kind of relevant as players often got cortisone shots and ignored injuries to keep playing. In most professional sports there were abuses by team medical staffs to various degrees. Be it supplying pills, misdiagnosing injuries to suit team needs, etc. this was done and reflected well in the show.
This was coming to my mind when I watched the episode yesterday. It's a kind of, maybe subtle, critic to some aspects to professional sports. I like how the story is unfolding sadly the story around the story is kind to broad brushed. I would say it would be one of the really good episodes if they wouldn't have done all football related stuff that kind of "one dimensional" (excessive pool party, locker head banging and so on). What I really like is the end of the episode. It's none of that cute and goopy happy ending instead Dorsey decides to play even with risking his whole career with not curing that shoulder completely.

A flaw I saw: TM is redshirted during practice. This means he isn't allowed to be touched (tackled). Twice he's droved to the ground which for sure will never happen in a professional football team (even not in HS or College). Redshirt means: This body is untouchable.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#56 Post by Doc Ibold »

daveinitiv wrote:
A flaw I saw: TM is redshirted during practice. This means he isn't allowed to be touched (tackled). Twice he's droved to the ground which for sure will never happen in a professional football team (even not in HS or College). Redshirt means: This body is untouchable.
As a gigantic football fan, nice catch! I can't believe I never caught that one before!

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#57 Post by Dave Anderson »

SignGuyHPW wrote:This one was really a mixed bag for me. I am not a fan of American football at all so the story wasn't going to appeal to me all that much based on that. Taking that into account, I found it to be pretty poorly done.

I can see Magnum being hired to help protect this player that used to be his back up at Navy. What I can't see is that the actor seems far younger than Magnum which made it hard to believe they'd been teammates. TC just trying out for the team and making it at the same time Magnum was undercover was a bit much. It's not that feasable that a guy in his late 30s to early 40s with no professional experience and having not played the game at an organised level in around 13 years is really stretching...
Honestly, the whole backstory that Magnum was a star QB at the Naval Academy always bothered me as too far fetched. If he had been a star QB, the first thing many people would say when they meet him throughout the series, would have been to mention that or say they remember his playing days, wouldn't it? It would seem like kind of a big deal.

They tried too hard to give superhero backstories to the characters in the series (Higgins being royalty for example). The far out backstories often bothered me. That said, therefore, I don't find this episode necessarily any less believable than him having been a star QB in the first place, though its not one of my favorites.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#58 Post by J.J. Walters »

I don't think they said he was a "star" quarterback. He was a starting quarterback for Navy, but wasn't a Heisman trophy candidate or anything. Navy has had other "star" QB's, but can you name any besides Roger Staubach? I don't think many of his clients would have remembered his Navy football days.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#59 Post by marlboro »

It's not a big deal to me but I can see what Dave is talking about. I like Magnum for his "everyman" qualities. Playing QB for a major college program is a bit Lance White-ish. Except he would have played for an Ivy League team!

Playing college football is fine. Being a starter on a known team seems different somehow. I can't really explain what the difference is. The more exceptional things that Magnum has done, the less relatable he becomes, I guess.

Not a big deal to me with Magnum, but there have been other shows that build up their characters bios to such heights that they would embarrass JQH. That's rarely a good move imo.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#60 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Dave Anderson wrote:
SignGuyHPW wrote:This one was really a mixed bag for me. I am not a fan of American football at all so the story wasn't going to appeal to me all that much based on that. Taking that into account, I found it to be pretty poorly done.

I can see Magnum being hired to help protect this player that used to be his back up at Navy. What I can't see is that the actor seems far younger than Magnum which made it hard to believe they'd been teammates. TC just trying out for the team and making it at the same time Magnum was undercover was a bit much. It's not that feasable that a guy in his late 30s to early 40s with no professional experience and having not played the game at an organised level in around 13 years is really stretching...
Honestly, the whole backstory that Magnum was a star QB at the Naval Academy always bothered me as too far fetched. If he had been a star QB, the first thing many people would say when they meet him throughout the series, would have been to mention that or say they remember his playing days, wouldn't it? It would seem like kind of a big deal.
I'm not sure that far removed from his playing days and playing far away from Annapolis would have gotten him a lot of instant recognition in those days. This was before everyone had dozens of channels to play college ball and the internet to try to keep up with individual players. Plus, when Magnum graduated he went right to Nam so there wasn't much to distinguish him from dozens of other players of similiar stature.

Rewatching this today it still seems odd that Dorsey would have an open affair with the wife of the team owner. You'd think that the owner could get rid of him even if he had to pay him his salary. It never really got resolved as to why the relationship was allowed.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#61 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:Average at best [7.0] and that's being charitable.

I remember seeing this episode first run. I love the NFL, but for pacing reasons I usually despise sports movies, especially boxing. Football is a close second, though.

This episode had entirely too many scenes in the empty stadium. In fact, I got so restless, I started counting every time someone said the name "Dorsey"! :lol: Makes for a good drinking game.

Pat Morita must've been on vacation and visiting the set, because otherwise the man had absolutely no reason to be there! Wax off, Pat Morita! (Yes, I realize he's already dead).
While this one hasn't gotten any better in the four years since I last watched it, One More Summer is at least watchable just for the Higgins scenes. It's made abundantly clear that he (and The Lads) miss Thomas. The long pull away shot of Higgins walking The Lads while listing the benefits of not having Magnum around the Estate and subsequent dropping by the stadium to give Thomas his bills/mail is the kind of character scene that I enjoy so much in this series.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#62 Post by 308GUY »

Little Garwood wrote:
One More Summer is at least watchable just for the Higgins scenes. It's made abundantly clear that he (and The Lads) miss Thomas. The long pull away shot of Higgins walking The Lads while listing the benefits of not having Magnum around the Estate and subsequent dropping by the stadium to give Thomas his bills/mail is the kind of character scene that I enjoy so much in this series.
:bigthumbsup: 8) Couldn't agree more. That particular scene (for me) illustrates almost perfectly, the bond that JQH develops with TSM over the course of the series, in spite of the obvious resentment and distaste shown for his being there in the very beginning.

Nice summation. :magnum:

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#63 Post by Mark R.Y. »

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but this episode seems to have been strongly influenced by the 1979 Nick Nolte football movie North Dallas Forty. Wild parties, painkillers, at least one beast-like player (Sromosky here, John Matuszak in North Dallas), lounging in hot tubs dialogue scenes etc.

I also noted that the first thing Magnum does when he gets the ball during practice is to double-pump it before throwing it. ;)

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

"I am de kicker...I kick de ball."

That scene cracks me up every time.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by 308GUY »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:"I am de kicker...I kick de ball."

That scene cracks me up every time.
Agreed! Always gets an out loud laugh from me! Especially the look on Magnum's face when he realizes he's been wasting his breath.

Oh, and I'd spell it "keeker".... :magnum: