7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 107

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

One More Summer (2.17)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for One More Summer (2.17). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/11/1982
When an old Naval Academy friend, now a quarterback in the pros, is nearly murdered, he asks Magnum to go undercover at his football team's training camp to protect him. Magnum's job is made all the more difficult by the strenuous workouts he must endure in training camp!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

This episode is so bad, it's almost good in a campy sort of way!

Supposedly, Pat Morita is in this episode, but I blinked and missed him.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Pat Metro, James!

He gets tossed in the pool at the beginning of the episode!

(I actually look forward to this one when it comes up in my "rotation")

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

As a big football fan, I wanted this episode to be good, but it just didn't work for me. It seems like all the football scenes were a letdown (and with Magnum and T.C., it could have been so much better). Dorsey, a 5'9" Pro QB, was a Navy grad?! He looks like he just stepped out of a Pepperdine frat party, or something! Pat Morita gets top billing yet barely utters two sentences. The story was lame and predictable. And Dick Butkus can't act. There, I said it! ;)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

Yeah, but it is kinda cheesy.

Sometimes I just need a stupid Magnum episode once in a while.

LOL

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

In an earlier Thread discussing our favorite and least favorite episodes, I picked this episode as one of my all time least favorites. As Doc said, this episode is cheesy. The basic plot is okay, i.e., Magnum protecting an academy buddy, but that is where the good ends. Dorsey seemed way to immature to be an Annapolis grad. He also seemed way to young to be an ex-teamate of Magnum. In one of the early scenes at the pool party, Dorsey is making out in plain view with the wife of the character played by Pat Morita. C'mon.

This episode seemed to remind me of one of those crappy football movies (or TV episodes) that were made in the '70's. You know, the movies where they have goofy names and uniforms, because they were not allowed to use NFL team names. Not to digress, but there were some pretty good football movies made in the '70's, which are not included in the aforementioned category, such as "The Rocky Blier Story", "Something for Joey", "Brian's Song" and "The Longest Yard.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Just saw this again recently. It's still a disappointing episode, IMHO. Again, where the heck is Pat Morita!?? :?

There is one really cool scene at the estate, however. There is a wonderful zoom out "Crane shot" of the estate, with Higgins talking to Zeus and Apollo about what he's going to do that night with Magnum not around (he thinks he'll be happy, but he soon realizes he'll actually miss the "big guy" and probably be bored). The camera (facing the main house) starts somewhat close in on Higgins and Zeus/Apollo, then slowly "zooms out" while elevating up and away from the main house. In the final pause, a fantastic view of the estate grounds can be seen, with Higgins and Zeus/Apollo barely visable on the lawn.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Just saw this again recently. It's still a disappointing episode, IMHO. Again, where the heck is Pat Morita!?? :?
I haven't seen the episode in a while, but Pat Morita can be seen at the beginning of the episode at the pool party. The party, I believe, takes place at his house. He makes a toast to the team or something, and I think the players throw him in the pool.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

IH,

You are correct. Thats pretty much it for Pat in this episode.

I wish they could have used him a little bit more, but we have to remember that this was his "Arnold" phase and pre Mr. Miyagi.

Had he been utilized in an episode 2-3 years later, I'm SURE he would have been more prominently featured.

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

As a Brett Favre's big fan, I was delighted by this episode with Magnum as a QB !

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Guys, regarding Pat Morita, I was being facetious. I saw him in the episode. He's just ..... barely in it!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

Sorry James,

Should have realized you of all people would have known exaclty where Pat was (and understanding the sarcasism, since I have a few sarcastic posts myself!).

However JCF, while I think Brett Farve's career is definitelty HOF worthy, and the Packers are doing phenonenal. GO LIONS! (We've waitied long enough for something to cheer for. Tigers this year and last year were my buzz as well.)

Sorry for the off topic aside, but both of the 'Cats of Detroit have long been dormant, so in spite of the rampant layoffs and deficits in the state, its nice for all of us to have something to cheer about.

(Sorry, this will be my only quasi political/athletic posts on the boards! Just wanted to give a Detroiters side of the story)

-Doc

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by grapeshot »

Well, speaking as a Packer fan, I must say that we're absolutely stunned at the way they keep winning. This was not expected, and all of Wisconsin is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

It's going to be a good one once we meet (although I'm prepping myself to lose at Lambeau, since we always do).

Why do we ALWAYS have to play you guys there in the middle of December?

I'll cross my fingers for Turkey Day.

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Off-topic? Nah, it's the MPI "Football Episode". The perfect place to talk about football. "The Gang" would want it that way. ;)

How about that, huh. The Lions smoked the Broncos 44-7! You're loving that Doc! :)

I saw the Pats-Colts game last night on tape (late at night of course, after the kids were in bed). Great hard-hitting game! Tom "The Golden Boy" Brady does it again. That guy just never ceases to amaze me! Look out, the Pats could go 16-0, then win the Super Bowl! :shock: