6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 107

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Okay...are we back in some stupid high school locker room? :shock: This has got to be one of the worst, and most ridiculous, plots/episodes of the series! :cry:

This is just as bad as the "Charlie's Angels" episode "Pom Pom Angels"...where they go undercover at some minor league football game as cheerleaders. Whether it's Magnum or the Angels...we are talking about 27-35 year old people here, folks! GROW THE HECK UP!!! :roll: Leave the locker room mentality for the teens...and their coaches, who most never grew up out of the locker rooms themselves. :wink:

This episode was pathetic and served no point, and I hardly ever watch it when going through the show! :x This, along with "Adelaide" and "Billy Joe Bob", may very well be my least favorite episodes of the show. :evil:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

grambax
Lieutenant

#42 Post by grambax »

A very weak episode for me. I have no interest in sport, and no knowledge of American football, so that didn't help. But I've enjoyed plenty of other sports/football films and programs, so I don't think its just bias. However a few good moments save it from being a complete bust.

The bad -

Magnum AND TC both ending up on the team? Just silly.

The plot is weak - three attempts (or apparent attempts) on the same person, from two different sources, by coincidence? The villain's plot is pretty weak and as soon as it is exposed simply pulling a gun on everybody? Cliched stuff.

Magnum does little to advance the plot and the whole thing feels like an excuse for a football episode.

The good -

There are some good character moments. The camera pull-back of Higgins and the dogs, alone, is a great shot, as everybody seems to agree. But Higgins starting his polo story, and being left to tell it to Rick, who hangs his head in resignation, is nice too.

The ending, and final shot are pretty nice.

The bathtub scene is fun.

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned how long Tom Selleck stretches out his reaction to finding out the player he's trying to question doesn't speak English. I'd swear the laughter of the crew had to be dubbed over, and I doubt that scene was intended to run so long. I think it was just a bit of casual "business" that they allowed to remain and let us see.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#43 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

SelleckLover wrote:This episode is average at best, but my favorite scene is where Dorsey and Magnum are in the locker room relaxing in their respective whirlpool baths and the female owner of the team comes in and introduces herself to Magnum. She extends her hand to shake his, but he does not reciprocate because he is covering his private parts with his hands. Hilarious! :D
You naughty girl!

TheLads
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#44 Post by TheLads »

Shermy wrote:Of course, there's an effort made to gloss over this fact by having the team's owner stage an equally foolish assassination attempt on Magnum! But even though he uncovers the plot to sabotage Dorsey's shoulder...it doesn't really make any difference. Dorsey still opts to risk further injury, and everything we've learned about him suggests he'll continue on in this manner. So I'm not sure Magnum actually does anything in this episode. :lol:

Lastly, the title always reminds me of Magnum's baseball-themed speech to Mad Buck Gibson, where he offers his father's advice about only getting "one summer...no matter how long it lasts".
Yep, and like with Mad Buck Gibson and his hang-gliding, TM doesn't stop Dorsey from doing what he wants to do in the end, even if it means injury, or worse.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

gmt16750 wrote:It's all worth the Higgins/Magnum relation. All their scenes together are quite fantastic and best scene in my opinion is Higgins' monologue with great shot of the estate that seems so desolated without Magnum. When Magnum tells him that he's leaving, seeking for a place without dogs, Higgins' facial expression is better than thousand words.
I thought James J. Walters' quote : "Higgins: As a matter of fact, the aura of pastoral serenity that has permeated the estate since your departure is positively delightful. The birds sing. The Lads frolic..." was from this episode.
Well, it's not and i still wonder which episode does this masterpiece quote come from?
as I am watching the series on DVD in order, this is a clever mechanism (or just dumb luck) that either saves an otherwise ho-hum episode or enhances a good plot. As long as they incorporate it somehow, it's a no lose deal.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Seaver41 »

grambax wrote:A very weak episode for me. I have no interest in sport, and no knowledge of American football, so that didn't help. But I've enjoyed plenty of other sports/football films and programs, so I don't think its just bias. However a few good moments save it from being a complete bust.

The good -

I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned how long Tom Selleck stretches out his reaction to finding out the player he's trying to question doesn't speak English. I'd swear the laughter of the crew had to be dubbed over, and I doubt that scene was intended to run so long. I think it was just a bit of casual "business" that they allowed to remain and let us see.

I'll answer that one.....as I see it was mentioned earlier by another person who is perhaps not from the USA or familiar with our brand of football..........it has been cliche for decades in this country for the kicker to be foreign.......so it was as obvious as a 500lb pink gorilla that the kicker would speak no English......plus they went out of their way to cast someone with an ethnic look. We refer to them sometimes as keeeckers.....because that's how they are stereotyped in identifying themselves.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Seaver41 »

woof, this episode is worse than I remember watching it many moons ago. The one saving grace about the plot choice was that they limited the gameplay to practice and did not write some ridiculous storyline that had Magnum playing a real game. Gave it a 7 and only that high because of Higgins missing Magnum.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Seaver41 »

Shermy wrote:Another oddity is the fact that TC- a man who is constantly too busy when Magnum needs him on a case- suddenly has time to try out for a professional football team. Not to mention the fact that he's in his late thirties and trying out for a professional football team. Or that he somehow manages to make the cut. :lol:

Difference is the football gig would actually pay TC for his services......

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Frodoleader »

charybdis1966 wrote:I especially like it when Higgins points out the superiority of rugby to "American football" - exactly the sort of thing you'd expect him to say.
"I don't see the necessity for all the padding" he says(or something similar) - having watched rugby it is a very savage contact sport and any professional player has a 1 in 3 chance of being injured at any time during the season because of impact injuries.
Since my son started playing rugby a couple of years ago, I have to agree with this comment. Although I am born American, raised in the Midwest and a graduate of THE Ohio State University, I have found a new love: rugby! As seen on a t-shirt once: "If rugby were any easier, they'd call it football!" (or soccer).
As for the episode? Meh! What do you expect from a 1980's TV show? For TM and TC, at their age to be on the team? Of course it's ridiculous, but it moves the story along.
Did anyone else notice that the field had a Pro Bowl logo on it?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Braddah Kimo »

""Billy Joe Bob", may very well be my least favorite episodes of the show." terrible ep, agreed. Only saving grace is the extended footage of the Clarence Cooke estate front entrance, front yard and the big back lanai..
The barkeep pulling a cocked loaded shotgun at patrons is TOO much. This would NEVER happen. aside from the fact NO one keeps a shotgun at the bar in Waiks.
I hate magnum telling the redneck "I may have been all buttercups and daisies in there.." gawd DAMMIT! NO one speaks like that. This is so gay. Tom, do not ever do that again.

snp389
Captain

#51 Post by snp389 »

I love the scene where JQH and the 'Lads' are on the estate lawn.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#52 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

The coach was obviously based on Bear Bryant, and I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was based on Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, the only female owner in the NFL at the time. We also see a precursor to Tim Tebow in the God-fearing reserve quarterback.

There is a couple of possible 'flubs':

1) When TM enters the locker room looking for Dorsey he walks past at least a dozen people just to ask the weird guy who's banging his head against the locker. Why would he do that?

2) When Higgins delivers Magnum's mail in the locker room, how does he know Magnum is there? He never told him anything about his case...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: One More Summer (2.17)

#53 Post by 308GUY »

snp389 wrote:I love the scene where JQH and the 'Lads' are on the estate lawn
I got a charge outa that scene too. JQH making "plans" for the evening with the lads....missing, but not saying he misses TM. Like he's trying very hard to convice himself about being glad TM's "gone". I think the perspective used was very effective, in that it made JQH look like he was feeling (or I assume he was feeling)....alone and small with just the lads for company and amusement.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This one was really a mixed bag for me. I am not a fan of American football at all so the story wasn't going to appeal to me all that much based on that. Taking that into account, I found it to be pretty poorly done.

I can see Magnum being hired to help protect this player that used to be his back up at Navy. What I can't see is that the actor seems far younger than Magnum which made it hard to believe they'd been teammates. TC just trying out for the team and making it at the same time Magnum was undercover was a bit much. It's not that feasable that a guy in his late 30s to early 40s with no professional experience and having not played the game at an organised level in around 13 years is really stretching. Pat Morita's role being so short was a disappointment as well. I thought they could've gotten another scene out of him at least. It seemed, at times, Magnum was there mostly to play around and be part of the football team than it did trying to protect his client or learn more about whom was out to kill him.

I liked the twist where there was another threat when the stalker was eliminated. They did that part of the story very well. Magnum realising what the team doctor was doing to Dorsey was also a very well done part. This was actually kind of relevant as players often got cortisone shots and ignored injuries to keep playing. In most professional sports there were abuses by team medical staffs to various degrees. Be it supplying pills, misdiagnosing injuries to suit team needs, etc. this was done and reflected well in the show.

daveinitiv
Ensign

#55 Post by daveinitiv »

SignGuyHPW wrote: I liked the twist where there was another threat when the stalker was eliminated. They did that part of the story very well. Magnum realising what the team doctor was doing to Dorsey was also a very well done part. This was actually kind of relevant as players often got cortisone shots and ignored injuries to keep playing. In most professional sports there were abuses by team medical staffs to various degrees. Be it supplying pills, misdiagnosing injuries to suit team needs, etc. this was done and reflected well in the show.
This was coming to my mind when I watched the episode yesterday. It's a kind of, maybe subtle, critic to some aspects to professional sports. I like how the story is unfolding sadly the story around the story is kind to broad brushed. I would say it would be one of the really good episodes if they wouldn't have done all football related stuff that kind of "one dimensional" (excessive pool party, locker head banging and so on). What I really like is the end of the episode. It's none of that cute and goopy happy ending instead Dorsey decides to play even with risking his whole career with not curing that shoulder completely.

A flaw I saw: TM is redshirted during practice. This means he isn't allowed to be touched (tackled). Twice he's droved to the ground which for sure will never happen in a professional football team (even not in HS or College). Redshirt means: This body is untouchable.