6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 107

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Guys, regarding Pat Morita, I was being facetious. I saw him in the episode. He's just ..... barely in it!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

Sorry James,

Should have realized you of all people would have known exaclty where Pat was (and understanding the sarcasism, since I have a few sarcastic posts myself!).

However JCF, while I think Brett Farve's career is definitelty HOF worthy, and the Packers are doing phenonenal. GO LIONS! (We've waitied long enough for something to cheer for. Tigers this year and last year were my buzz as well.)

Sorry for the off topic aside, but both of the 'Cats of Detroit have long been dormant, so in spite of the rampant layoffs and deficits in the state, its nice for all of us to have something to cheer about.

(Sorry, this will be my only quasi political/athletic posts on the boards! Just wanted to give a Detroiters side of the story)

-Doc

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by grapeshot »

Well, speaking as a Packer fan, I must say that we're absolutely stunned at the way they keep winning. This was not expected, and all of Wisconsin is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

It's going to be a good one once we meet (although I'm prepping myself to lose at Lambeau, since we always do).

Why do we ALWAYS have to play you guys there in the middle of December?

I'll cross my fingers for Turkey Day.

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Off-topic? Nah, it's the MPI "Football Episode". The perfect place to talk about football. "The Gang" would want it that way. ;)

How about that, huh. The Lions smoked the Broncos 44-7! You're loving that Doc! :)

I saw the Pats-Colts game last night on tape (late at night of course, after the kids were in bed). Great hard-hitting game! Tom "The Golden Boy" Brady does it again. That guy just never ceases to amaze me! Look out, the Pats could go 16-0, then win the Super Bowl! :shock:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok Doc, I just watched this again over the weekend, and ........... I still don't think it's very good. Unlike "Birdman" and "Mixed Doubles", this one doesn't get notched up a bit with repeated viewings. If Pat Morita and Dick Butkus had more screen time maybe things would be different.

A couple of things I missed the first/second time around:

1) Magnum mentions "5-0" again.

2) The football game at the end is the "Honolulu 5th Annual Pro-College Bowl". A Pro-College bowl?? Interesting.

3) The name Semeri Ulufale can be seen on a closeup of the scoreboard. Semeri played at the Univ. of Hawaii ('77-'81) as a "wedge buster" on kickoffs. He was a fan favorite and his nickname was "Suicide Sam". He later played arena football for the Honolulu Hammerheads in his early 40s. He died in 2004.

4) Loved the scene where Dorsey, after getting shot at, jumps from one car into the front seat of another. The stuntman does a half flip and it almost looks like he lands on his head! In watching the scene in slow motion, it looks like David Wilson may have actually done this stunt himself. Pretty cool!

Still, not enough. Bottom 10 episode for me.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#17 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Ok Doc, I just watched this again over the weekend, and ........... I still don't think it's very good. Unlike "Birdman" and "Mixed Doubles", this one doesn't get notched up a bit with repeated viewings. If Pat Morita and Dick Butkus had more screen time maybe things would be different.

A couple of things I missed the first/second time around:

1) Magnum mentions "5-0" again.

2) The football game at the end is the "Honolulu 5th Annual Pro-College Bowl". A Pro-College bowl?? Interesting.

3) The name Semeri Ulufale can be seen on a closeup of the scoreboard. Semeri played at the Univ. of Hawaii ('77-'81) as a "wedge buster" on kickoffs. He was a fan favorite and his nickname was "Suicide Sam". He later played arena football for the Honolulu Hammerheads in his early 40s. He died in 2004.

4) Loved the scene where Dorsey, after getting shot at, jumps from one car into the front seat of another. The stuntman does a half flip and it almost looks like he lands on his head! In watching the scene in slow motion, it looks like David Wilson may have actually done this stunt himself. Pretty cool!

Still, not enough. Bottom 10 episode for me.
LOL

Didn't think so, but if you can be OK with Goldie Morris all of the sudden, strangewr things could happen!

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#18 Post by Operation Chessboard »

'One More Summer' is one of my all time favorite Magnum episodes. Others on here may knock it, and I can understand that, but I really enjoy this one. Mostly because I LOVE football. I thought the guest cast did an excellent job, particularly the Dorcy character. Although, Dorcy as an Annapolis grad was completely stupid. They should have made him high school buddies with TM instead. This guy was just too undisciplined to be a graduate of the Naval Academy. And has any Annapolis grad ever been drafted into the pros? That was just kind of dumb.

This episode has many flaws, however. The killer is fairly obvious within the first five minutes of the episode. You'd have to be pretty dense not to pick up on it. I loved the scene where Higgins discovers TMs dog repellant. 'Recommened by the U.S. Postal Service.' The look on Selleck's face is hilarious. It screams, "Oh, **@#! I should have hid that!"

This episode just had some great chemistry between the main and guest cast, IMHO. I enjoyed the aspect of seeing TM and TC trying to reclaim the vainglorious ways of youth and the realization of what a futile, foolish effort it becomes even when you hit your early thirties.

Another thing about this episode I appreciated was Higgins' growing dependency on his friendship/conflict with Magnum. Very subtly done.

I really enjoyed this one...flaws and all.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#19 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Dick Freaking Butkus! They should've had him in pads!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

Operation Chessboard wrote:' And has any Annapolis grad ever been drafted into the pros? That was just kind of dumb.
Roger Staubach-Dallas Cowboys; Napoleon McCallum-LA Raiders; Phil McConkey-NY Giants. David Robinson-San Antonio Spurs (NBA).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by Operation Chessboard »

Thanks for that info, IH. I completely forgot about Staubach. I guess Annapolis isn't like West Point where it's mandatory to serve four years active duty as a CO after graduation. I need to look that up.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#22 Post by IslandHopper »

No problem OC. I can't remember for sure, but I think Staubach may have served on active duty before he went to the cowboys, but by the time McCallum and Robinson came out the rules were somewhat relaxed and I believe they were allowed to serve in the reserves while they played in their respective leagues (NFL & NBA), but again, I'm not 100% sure.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#23 Post by Shermy »

One thing that sticks out about this episode is that Magnum doesn't catch Dorsey's stalker. He has no clue that the kid exists as a threat, and really just happens to be present when the kid stages a reckless assassination attempt in broad daylight. Even then, he plays no part in taking the kid down.

Of course, there's an effort made to gloss over this fact by having the team's owner stage an equally foolish assassination attempt on Magnum! But even though he uncovers the plot to sabotage Dorsey's shoulder...it doesn't really make any difference. Dorsey still opts to risk further injury, and everything we've learned about him suggests he'll continue on in this manner. So I'm not sure Magnum actually does anything in this episode. :lol:

It's a filler episode for me, but there's still some fun to be had. I really love the scene where Higgins realizes he misses Magnum's presence at the estate. It's also interesting that dog repellent was introduced here, yet Higgins is stunned to discover that Magnum has a can later on in Season 3 (The Arrow That Is Not Aimed).

Another oddity is the fact that TC- a man who is constantly too busy when Magnum needs him on a case- suddenly has time to try out for a professional football team. Not to mention the fact that he's in his late thirties and trying out for a professional football team. Or that he somehow manages to make the cut. :lol:

Lastly, the title always reminds me of Magnum's baseball-themed speech to Mad Buck Gibson, where he offers his father's advice about only getting "one summer...no matter how long it lasts".

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#24 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Operation Chessboard wrote:Thanks for that info, IH. I completely forgot about Staubach. I guess Annapolis isn't like West Point where it's mandatory to serve four years active duty as a CO after graduation. I need to look that up.
Staubach did serve active duty as did David Robinson. Napoleon McCallum was a really good back for the Mids in the 80's and he served his active duty stint before a few years in the pros.

robfg67
Ensign

#25 Post by robfg67 »

I just found this forum and starting watching this series thanks to the Netflix service with the Roku box.

In the first practice scene in Aloha Stadium, a close-up shot of the football reveals that it is an official NFL ball. It has the signature of the commissioner at the time, Pete Rozelle.