6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 111

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by charybdis1966 »

Coops wrote:I have to agree with the earlier post.....he says the words with such conviction it hits you squarely in the gut. And that, as they say, is the hell of it.

The ending alone raised this one from an average episode to a damned good one.
I liked that closing piece of narration so much that I ripped it off to use on one of my sports blogs as the closing line also.

It's here if anyone is interested : http://arsenalarsenal.wordpress.com/201 ... frenchman/

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by zebra3 »

I feel like most that can be said about this episode already had been. I notice that there seems to be a major split in the ratings on-site for this one. I thought that as a castaway episode, it was just okay, as a poker episode, it was just okay, but altogether it was pretty good.
I didn't like the woman in this one, her character was annoying and undeveloped and the face that she wasn't willing to tell any details about herself was annoying. Some movies use that to their advantage, adding intrigue to a character. In this, I felt like it detracted from the 50 minute episode we were given.
As previously said, the closing minutes brought the episode up a notch, once again because of the conviction Selleck brings to his role. The mourning scene, which should have been so strong, was actually somewhat weak. The guys drinking was appropriate, the dialogue told me that they were very heartbroken over Magnum's "death," however, the scene didn't share that feeling of heartbroken-ness that they felt with me.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode was allright, I guess. Not a "Blockbuster", but not terrible either. For some reason it just kind of bored me, and couldn't keep me interested. The woman who was the supposed spy was also not that believable. But, overall the episode was decent.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

grambax
Lieutenant

#24 Post by grambax »

I'm a little conflicted by this episode. It seems to lack an even tone. Bits are really quite brutal, even if its just implied, the island stuff is mostly light comedy; we then get some great ariel action and the ending turns poignant. Now such twists can be great, and MPI is good at them, but here they didn't quite string together.

I think possibly the problem might be Julie Sommars for me. I note that, despite being a major guest, she's barely been mentioned personally in the forum here. There is nothing actually wrong with her, but she doesn't project the air of mystery, intrigue or depth to really sell the ending, despite the great closing line. The grief of Higgins, TC and Rick over apparently losing Magnum seems to play weakly, too.

I liked the clever cut early on between the two uses of the word "wasted". The simple shot of Higgins and Magnum sharing a drink also struck me as really nice. And the script seemed to have been added to slightly, out on the boat, to allow for the overcast weather!

A solid episode, but one that for me seemed justy a little short of the sum of its parts. All the elements are there, but it didn't come together quite as strongly as I'd have liked.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Seaver41 »

Coops wrote:I have to agree with the earlier post about this episode. Up until the bittersweet ending I thought this was no more than an average episode. When Selleck gets into the ending monologue, he says the words with such conviction it hits you squarely in the gut. And that, as they say, is the hell of it.

The ending alone raised this one from an average episode to a damned good one.
I don't know........it seems mor to me that some writer came up with that line and they force fed it to a never-should've-been-romance. I mean, CMON. He figures out she is a spy and has been lying to him, and then we are supposed to believe he is falling for her when he doesn't even know who she really is, inside and out? It's a great line in a bad spot. Still a good episode, but as alluded to earlier by another poster in his review, it falls short of where it could have landed.

Btw, where did the sub go in all of this? What were they waiting for?

I liked the exchange at the hospital and it was done, but when they had Magnum run after her and the subsequent line.......it lost steam.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Seaver41 »

zebra3 wrote:I feel like most that can be said about this episode already had been. I notice that there seems to be a major split in the ratings on-site for this one. I thought that as a castaway episode, it was just okay, as a poker episode, it was just okay, but altogether it was pretty good.
I didn't like the woman in this one, her character was annoying and undeveloped and the face that she wasn't willing to tell any details about herself was annoying. Some movies use that to their advantage, adding intrigue to a character. In this, I felt like it detracted from the 50 minute episode we were given.
As previously said, the closing minutes brought the episode up a notch, once again because of the conviction Selleck brings to his role. The mourning scene, which should have been so strong, was actually somewhat weak. The guys drinking was appropriate, the dialogue told me that they were very heartbroken over Magnum's "death," however, the scene didn't share that feeling of heartbroken-ness that they felt with me.
AWESOME point......just saw this one and they never sold it...........even though we knew he was alive and well, they did not portray that scene with conviction. I get it that the characters probably felt he wasn['t, but come on......try a little.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

A pretty good episode. Not nearly as good as "Try to Remember" (where Lt. Tanaka really stole the show) or "Italian Ice" (it's a bloody gouge!!) but certainly better than "One More Summer".

No mention of Julie Sommars. I guess I like her because she was on MATLOCK as the assistant D.A. and I loved MATLOCK growing up. Not sure what I would think of her if I didn't have the MATLOCK background on her. But there's something about her voice (it has a certain "honeyed" sound to it) which I find very unique. Can't think of another actress that sounds quite like her.

The episode I think has a pretty strong start (with some vicious killings - 2 guys by knife and about a dozen live pigeons being shot as part of target practice by Jack Hogan... who needs skeet, eh?) and a pretty strong later section with the reveal that Jeannie's a spy and some fantastic aerials between the two copters!

Unfortunately much of the middle section is a bit on the dull side - with lots of annoying bickering between Magnum and Jeannie. Plus I didn't buy their romance at all. The very end where Magnum rushes out after her and looks like he's about to cry or something is just plain... weird!! There was absolutely nothing that we saw during the episode that would warrant that type of reaction from him. You'd think his true love Michelle Hue (from "Memories are Forever") just left him or something. I didn't buy it for a second! There was no time for their relationship to develop, they didn't have chemistry, and she lied to him every step of the way. So I have no clue what that was all about. :shock: Plus, didn't she look a bit too old for him? Julie Sommars IS older than Selleck.

snp389
Captain

#28 Post by snp389 »

This has a great story, but I can't watch this Ep. I cannot stand the character JL nor the actress. I reckon she is a complete pain in the arse!
On a good note, I like the scene in the estate's greenhouse.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Texas Lightning (2.18)

#29 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought it was good in spots and poorly done in other spots, but was overall a good episode. The continual false stories from JL made it kind of hard to follow what was really happening and I'm not sure I completely understood what exactly happened. They also never explained why Magnum didn't have a gun on him when he was working as a bodygaurd nor why he was so willing to side with a woman that had, obviously, not given him the correct story as to why they were there. The scene where they're mourning Magnum and then Higgins just randomly decides that Magnum isn't dead was odd. Then they have the strange circular reasoning as to why they are searching the area they picked. The bright spots were the villans being really evil and the fantastic helicopter chase. Magnum being, fairly, owed $300,000 for his fee to coming away empty handed was kind of a cool theme too.

EZiller
Captain

#30 Post by EZiller »

“Texas Lightning” is really one of my favorite episodes, one I’ll always watch if it comes up. Some good action and plot twists, plus I do like Julie Sommars as Jeannie. She’s not a top ten MPI babe, but I do find her sexy. I guess it’s implied that her and Magnum had sex during their evening on the island. Upon further review, as the zebras used to say in the NFL, during a recent viewing I noticed that Julie was wearing her dark nylons in the scene around the fire when they started making out. The following morning she wasn’t wearing them. So given that and the way their relationship had progressed to the point that Jeannie wanted TSM to meet her in Europe, I’d say they had a fairly intense evening.

Great chase scene in the chopper.Matt Thompson is an excellent villain, could have qualified as a Bond bad guy. Higgins, Rick and TC do a great job of coming to the rescue. 9.5

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Milton Collins »

A rare awful episode for me, gave it a 6. I always enjoy spotting the recurring bit actors but the dude playing Thompson had been in The Woman on the Beach earlier this year, way too soon to show up again. This is especially annoying of watching in order, takes out the realism from a great show. I did like the mysterious boat poker concept but JL and Thomas as a love interest? What's she, forty five there and TM is 33 I believe in season 2? Pullease! I just thought this was a dumb concept and plot and didn't care for this episode at all. Too bad because Season 2 is awesome!!!!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#32 Post by Milton Collins »

snp389 wrote:This has a great story, but I can't watch this Ep. I cannot stand the character JL nor the actress. I reckon she is a complete pain in the arse!
On a good note, I like the scene in the estate's greenhouse.

Well said!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#33 Post by marlboro »

I like this episode. The story is very good, and I found the ending very powerful.

There are a couple of problems though.

1) The drinking scene seemed inappropriate. I think the Higgins/TC/Rick scenes should have been minimized to allow for more relationship development scenes between Magnum and JL.

2) I am not a fan of Julie Sommars. I think it's her voice. She isn't that much older than Selleck (5 years) but I think someone more alluring would have made a story that ultimately hinged on Magnum falling in love would have been more effective.

Even though I'm not a fan of Sommars, I do wish we had seen her character make a return appearance. I think there was some potential for a recurring starcrossed lovers storyline.

Ira
Ensign

#34 Post by Ira »

This is a very good episode. A nice balance of reverie, action, adventure, romance, mystery, ingenuity and displays of camaraderie, and logically laid out by the writers. I think Texas Lightning could be a pretty good exemplar of the entire Magnum, P.I. series.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Little Garwood »

7.5 [Decent]

The role of J.L. could have gone wretchedly wrong and perhaps there are fans who think that's exactly what happened, but I thought that Julie Sommars did an admirable job of striking the tricky balance of being the feminine operative or lady of adventure combined with toughness. When I say this, it's remembering how most women on prime time American TV series were portrayed circa the early 1980s. This type of thing was best handled by our Peach of Peaches, Erin Grey in J. Digger Doyle as did Jenny Agutter in S5's Little Games.

The scenes with TM and JL bickering during the rock climb could have easily fallen into unwanted High Road to China annoyances, but thankfully didn't. Selleck by this time was already being thought of as a throwback to the Clark Gable school of performer and so he was going to get the kind of scenes one might have seen in It Happened One Night to further make that Gable comparison.

I of course liked the scenes with Higgins, T.C., and Rick expressing grief over Magnum's fate ending with a plan of action and Rick's humorously drunken plop onto the sofa. I liked it that they would conduct their own rescue search because not only do we get more of the Big Four looking out for one another, but we are also treated to some extended scenes of that Hawaiian mountain greenery the visions of which have always stayed with me.

The only thing that prevents Texas Lightning from getting a higher rating is the unconvincing romance that developed for no good reason other than J.L. is a woman. The fact that she was a Russian agent and threatened Thomas' life with the flare gun should have put that plot complication to rest; they should have saved the episode's memorable last line for a more suitable story.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck