2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Double Jeopardy (2.19)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Double Jeopardy (2.19). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/25/1982
Robin Masters' estate is used as the location for a film starring Olivia Ross and her husband Jack Martin. Magnum is less-than-enthusiastic, about being hired as Jack's stunt double and takes the job only because of his admiration for Olivia. But, when Jack is critically injured during a key scene in which Olivia shoots Jacks with a prop gun - and the gun turns out to be loaded with real bullets - Magnum investigates the mysterious circumstances.

grundle
Admiral

#2 Post by grundle »

I just watched the season 5 episode of Get Smart called "Widow Often Annie."

Dana Wynter (the actress in this episode of Magnum) played a KAOS agent who had married a doezen CONTROL agents, bought life insurance policies for them with KAOS as the beneficiary, and then killed them.

She married Max (it was a fake ceremony, but she didn't know that). She set up an "accident" to kill him, but it didn't work.

That's basically the same plot as in this Magnum episode. In both episodes, she tries to kill her husband by "accident."

And in both episodes, it fails.

Also, in both episodes, her confession is recorded on a tape recorder.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

[Maxwell Smart voice]
She missed it by that much!
[/Maxwell Smart voice]

I love Get Smart, although I havn't seen an episode in probably 20 years! Barbara Felton ..... Barbara Felton. ;)

Regarding "Double Jeopardy", I've always really enjoyed this episode. I've always been a fan of Dana Wynter and it's fun to see a film crew in action on the estate. And Magnum, as a stunt double, getting walloped by the Sushi Brothers, well, that's priceless!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

grundle
Admiral

#4 Post by grundle »

Get Smart is on the RTN network, along with Magnum, Five-O, and Rockford.

"Oh my God!"

Yes. It's the best channel ever.

Here's a list of affiliates. Each one has its own schedule.

Also, if you have Comcast cable, you can search for shows by title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Re ... affiliates

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#5 Post by SelleckLover »

Phooey!!! I have stupid old Cox Cable :(

grundle
Admiral

#6 Post by grundle »

SelleckLover wrote:Phooey!!! I have stupid old Cox Cable :(

That doesn't mean you can't get the channel. I suggest that you check the link in my post to see if your area has it. It says, "Santa Barbara, CA - KEYT 3 (27) - digital subchannel, also (13) on Charter Cable, SLO County" is one of them.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#7 Post by Tralfaz »

At the beginning of the episode Magnum is in the cab travelling from Honolulu to the estate when they pass the Makai pier (which the next season becomes the sight of Island Hoppers), trouble is they pass it in the wrong direction (even if the estate were on the North Shore).

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

Santa Barbara is in San Luis Obispo County...I'm located a little bit north of San Diego County! :( Oh well! Thanks for the info anyway grundle! :D

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

This is an unusual episode, in that Tanaka actually solves the crime, and Magnum has to play catch-up.

Thinking back, I don't think Tanaka was fooled by the planted gun. He merely used it as an excuse to let Olivia out of jail -- giving her enough rope to hang herself, as they say. I'm guessing that *he* had the hospital phone her with the (presumably fake) news that Jack had briefly regained consciousness, to see if she would take the bait.

The climactic scene in Jack's room bears out this assumption. Magnum wouldn't have dared take time to phone Tanaka on his mad dash to the hospital. Tanaka must have been there already. I'm guessing that he was already hiding in that alcove, about to step out and catch Olivia red-handed, when Magnum rushed in (possibly seeing that Tanaka was there), and tricked Olivia into confessing that she had switched the guns.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MPS »

Just watched this again last night. Magnum is coming into Honolulu at 7:00 am after taking a "midnight" redeye from LA. The times don't work. It's a six hour non-stop flight. Leaving at midnight means he lands at 6:00 am LA time, or 3:00 am Hawaii time, NOT 7:00 am. :lol: :lol:
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great flub spot MPS!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#12 Post by N1095A »

At the beginning of the episode TM is in a taxi supposedly going home to Robin's nest. As he's riding we see them pass the Makai Research pier on the left side. This would indicate they had already passed the estate given it's location of in relation to the pier, and the direction they were driving. Flub?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

N1095A wrote:At the beginning of the episode TM is in a taxi supposedly going home to Robin's nest. As he's riding we see them pass the Makai Research pier on the left side. This would indicate they had already passed the estate given it's location of in relation to the pier, and the direction they were driving. Flub?
I don't know, because the proximity of the pier to the estate is never specifically called out in the show.

My take would be no... but I'll let others weigh in.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, they are going in the wrong direction to get to the "north shore", but I tend to go easy on the "driving location" shots as far as flubs go. The show would often cut in different driving footage for scenes, or edit driving scenes in such a way as to not make sense for someone who knows the area. These scenes wouldn't seem odd for the average viewer, but to a Oahu local they would. To expect that the show would make all driving scenes make sense for the locals would be too much.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#15 Post by N1095A »

I tend to agree. Not a flub, but I think it qualifies as a curiouosity.
"But Higgins, I can explain."