2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great flub spot MPS!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#12 Post by N1095A »

At the beginning of the episode TM is in a taxi supposedly going home to Robin's nest. As he's riding we see them pass the Makai Research pier on the left side. This would indicate they had already passed the estate given it's location of in relation to the pier, and the direction they were driving. Flub?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

N1095A wrote:At the beginning of the episode TM is in a taxi supposedly going home to Robin's nest. As he's riding we see them pass the Makai Research pier on the left side. This would indicate they had already passed the estate given it's location of in relation to the pier, and the direction they were driving. Flub?
I don't know, because the proximity of the pier to the estate is never specifically called out in the show.

My take would be no... but I'll let others weigh in.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, they are going in the wrong direction to get to the "north shore", but I tend to go easy on the "driving location" shots as far as flubs go. The show would often cut in different driving footage for scenes, or edit driving scenes in such a way as to not make sense for someone who knows the area. These scenes wouldn't seem odd for the average viewer, but to a Oahu local they would. To expect that the show would make all driving scenes make sense for the locals would be too much.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#15 Post by N1095A »

I tend to agree. Not a flub, but I think it qualifies as a curiouosity.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Wednesdays review. This ep always felt like it should have been far better than it was IMO.

[rating=6.5]

Magnum returns from a case to find that the Estate is being used the location for a movie. Soon he finds himself collared into being a stunt double, but then one of the actors is shot dead when a prop gun is replaced with a real one. Should be good but just doesn’t work

-----

This review contains spoilers.

This episode should have been a series great, but in my opinion a number of things render it quite weak. I know some probably love this episode, but for me it just didn’t work.

Things start off with some promise, with Magnum being collared into working as a stunt double. This could have been fun, if the episode has been played as a comedy, but instead it tries to be a serious drama, which ends up quite boring in places.

The stars and director of the film feel very stilted and are unengaging, none more so than Dana Wynter as Olivia Ross. She is unconvincing as the huge star that Ross supposedly is, and is one of the key things wrong with this episode.
From the start, I guessed that Ross was behind the fatal shooting, but we still have to churn through the motions for Magnum to deduct that she was behind it.

The episode is also another that desperately could have done with a b-plot, and this is where Rick and T.C. could have been utilised more. Rick is trying to become an actor, much to the distain with T.C., and much more fun could have been had with this.

Not much more to say on this one, other than to say once again that it could have been a really good episode but sadly didn’t come off as such.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Just a small note, but the opening trailer music for this episode is a different edit from standard, and plays on into a different piece.

* One Good Friday in the early 1990s, ITV southern region Meridian broadcast this episode, in a very heavily edited form. It had no trailer, NO opening credits, and the story was cut down in several places. They were the only region to carry this heavily edited version. …Just thought I’d mention it! :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: the opening trailer music for this episode is a different edit from standard, and plays on into a different piece.
Nice catch!

Thanks again for all of your great episodes reviews Jay! They are really, really well done. :)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

James J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote: the opening trailer music for this episode is a different edit from standard, and plays on into a different piece.
Nice catch!

Thanks again for all of your great episodes reviews Jay! They are really, really well done. :)
Glad they're appreciated. I can't believe I'm up to the third season already! :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Jaybird
Admiral

#19 Post by Jaybird »

Watched this just the other night. It was "pretty good" No complaints, entertaining as expected. Honestly, though, if Olivia really wanted to kill her husband, she could have figured out a better way to go about it.
Another thing, how could TM have any free time? It occurred to me that when the charges were filed and the case against Olivia went to trial, TM would be a major prosecution witness. And, this would be the case in just about all the other episodes. What a horrible fate! I was a technical expert witness in civil case years ago. Drove me crazy! I sat in court for two days just doing nothing. Finally on the 3rd day I got my 5 minutes of expert testimony. Can't see TM going through this torture.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Another one from Giuseppe...

A boom mic is visible:

Kimbosan
Captain

#21 Post by Kimbosan »

Hi Guys,
Yes the taxi is going the wrong direction but amazingly it turns up at the estate travelling the right way…

Kimbosan
Kimbosan

Tuan Vu
Captain

#22 Post by Tuan Vu »

This episode was just okay. But it was so eerie how the shooting incident resembled what happened to Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son, in real life about 11 years later, on the set of his movie, where he was shot and killed by a prop gun.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Steve »

Perhaps I have a thing for Femme fatales, maybe it's a thing for middle aged women that speak the proper King's english, or maybe I am just getting older but, I find Dana Wynter extremely sexy in this episode. When she and Magnum are on the couch reading lines I sense as much chemistry as when J. Digger Doyle was on the same couch. Oh, the stories that couch could tell!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

Steve wrote:Perhaps I have a thing for Femme fatales, maybe it's a thing for middle aged women that speak the proper King's english, or maybe I am just getting older but, I find Dana Wynter extremely sexy in this episode. When she and Magnum are on the couch reading lines I sense as much chemistry as when J. Digger Doyle was on the same couch. Oh, the stories that couch could tell!
I think your taste is just getting better!

Dana Wynter is one of those women who I fell in love with as an adult. I would watch her on Magnum and Love Boat and she's so damned refined and elegant. When I first saw this episode, I am sure I didn't give her an extra thought because she seemed so much older. Now I want to be her!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I really like this episode! It has an awesome plot and performances by everyone! Dana Wynter, as always, was superb!

Even though the ending was kind of predictable about half way through, it still was captivating to watch it unfold...and how Magnum came to realize that one of his childhood idols was really made of wood...not gold. :P

But, I also like this episode because I can relate to Magnum in this one. Even though I do like several actresses the same age as I am, or thereabouts, I also like several that are older than I am--one even old enough to be my grandma! LOL! :lol: That's legendary actress Lauren Bacall, by the way. But, I love all the Angels (from "Charlie's Angels"), Lynda Carter, Mitzi Kapture (from "Silk Stalkings"), etc... I would love a chance to meet any of these actresses, and to be able to actually work with them on a movie would be a dream come true! :o

Anyway, excellent episode and one I enjoy watching from season 2! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"