2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Double Jeopardy (2.19)

#41 Post by Doc Ibold »

EZiller wrote:I also thought this may have worked better as a pure comedic episode, TM as a stunt double. I liked when they were showing the rushes, when the "Sushi Brothers" were beating the crap out of TM as Jack Martin's character and Higgins had a huge smile on his face, truly enjoying it. BTW, haven't seen it mentioned, but for all you 60's tube heads, the guy playing Jack Martin [Larry Pennell] was none other than the same guy who played Dash Riprock, a Hollywood actor who was Elly Mae Clampett's beau in a few episodes from the early years of the "Beverly Hillbillies." Dash was one of several beefcake actors that Jed Clampett's movie studio, Mammoth Pictures, had under contract. One afternoon the studio sent them all over to squire Elly Mae. Besides Dash, they had Bolt Upright, Biff Steele, Crunch Hardtack, etc. I believe Jethro had decided he could also become an actor and was going to be called Beef Jerky. If Selleck had been a few years older he would have been perfect in this cameo.

Gave it an 8. The romantic angle between TM and Dana Wynter as Olivia seemed awkward. She's almost old enough to be his mom.
Those were seriously the names??!!

:shock:

EZiller
Captain

#42 Post by EZiller »

Doc Ibold wrote:
EZiller wrote:I also thought this may have worked better as a pure comedic episode, TM as a stunt double. I liked when they were showing the rushes, when the "Sushi Brothers" were beating the crap out of TM as Jack Martin's character and Higgins had a huge smile on his face, truly enjoying it. BTW, haven't seen it mentioned, but for all you 60's tube heads, the guy playing Jack Martin [Larry Pennell] was none other than the same guy who played Dash Riprock, a Hollywood actor who was Elly Mae Clampett's beau in a few episodes from the early years of the "Beverly Hillbillies." Dash was one of several beefcake actors that Jed Clampett's movie studio, Mammoth Pictures, had under contract. One afternoon the studio sent them all over to squire Elly Mae. Besides Dash, they had Bolt Upright, Biff Steele, Crunch Hardtack, etc. I believe Jethro had decided he could also become an actor and was going to be called Beef Jerky. If Selleck had been a few years older he would have been perfect in this cameo.

Gave it an 8. The romantic angle between TM and Dana Wynter as Olivia seemed awkward. She's almost old enough to be his mom.

Yes. And I forgot to mention Race Burley and Tab Strong.

The Beverly Hillbillies, at least for the first few years, was incredibly hilarious satire.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#43 Post by Doc Ibold »

EZiller wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:

The Beverly Hillbillies, at least for the first few years, was incredibly hilarious satire.
Wow... Sounds like actors in a different sort of movie. :lol:

Harold Farber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#44 Post by Harold Farber »

Rating: 6.0

This has always been one of my least favourites of the entire series and after having just watched it again, nothing has changed. There is a whopping 20-25 minute drag where nothing happens, the acting in this one (even from Manetti and Mosley) seems forced and sub-par and (as previously mentioned) it really needed a b-plot to keep things interesting until the last act.

Also, is this the first episode to not feature the Ferrari?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Little Garwood »

7.5 [Decent]

I like Estate-heavy episodes, so that adds to Double Jeopardy's rating, as does the always-welcome appearance of Dana Wynter as Olivia Ross. Wynter just radiates class and sophistication; must be all that studio-era breeding. Count me as another who finds her irresistible. Thankfully, Wynter would return to Magnum in yet another episode involving a rigged item, Higgins' fencing foil(iirc), in S3's Foiled Again.

The jabs at the film industry throughout the episode are amusing touches, with T.C.'s line about "That's crazy, even for these people" and Olivia's remark about everyone in Hollywood needing to see a shrink because of all the sensitive egos there. Spineless director Myrt Callahan (Kathleen Nolan) and frustrated producer William B. Knox (Barry Nelson) were cut-out characters but I think that was the point. Love the title 23 Guns to Cairo. I could easily imagine that as a Dirty Dozen/Where Eagles Dare kind-of movie from the 1960s.

Double Jeopardy also boasts Lt. Tanaka at his "Columbo-of-the-Islands" best. Love the Tigers trade talk banter with Magnum.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rocket
Lieutenant

#46 Post by Rocket »

Really enjoyed this one. It was a bit obvious who did it but still thought it was well done. This is the second show without the Ferrari. Maybe it has been in the shop!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by KingKC »

The best part of this one was seeing Kathleen Nolan who used to be Kate McCoy on the Real McCoys and seeing TM get "beat up" as a stunt double. Hilarious scene on the beach. Rolling my eyes and shaking my head!!!!

KingKC

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Milton Collins »

I think I'm in the minority here but just watched this one for probably the 5th or 6th time and just don't enjoy it. It starts out great and your thinking its going to be a good one but the plot goes sour for me. I would say three things really ruined it for me:

The VERY predictable killing, just seemed so obvious.

The star actress TM is swooning over pretending to have a romance so she can use him, I think our boy Thomas would have seen that a mile away! And in the end he did but just didn't care for this aspect much.

That female director absolutely was HORRIBLE! She might be in my top five most annoying guest actors ever even though her role was small.

Anyway, not one of the worst of the series but certainly the worst of season two in my opinion. But it's my second fav season after 3 so how can I complain as almost all
the other episodes ROCK:)

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#49 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Mark R.Y. wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Another one from Giuseppe...

A boom mic is visible:

This is interesting. Is this screen grab from a televised version? The mic-in-shot is nowhere to be found during this scene on the DVD. Was it digitally erased?
It's on the DVDs, when Higgins says Jack "appears to be improving", but only briefly. The boom operator probably realized their mistake and withdrew it from the shot. :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

EZiller wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:

Hi Guys,
You are right about the Beverly Hillbillies being satiric, plus in this case it was also a big in-joke.
I just saw a tv show on the old scandal mag Confidential and how it blackmailed stars of the 1950's.
According to this show, Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, Rory Calhoun, Guy Madison and Troy Donahue were all part of the legendary "fairy godfather" agent Henry Tillson's stable of talent.
He gave them the names that the Beverly Hillbillies were making fun of. They were all heartthrobs for the female audience and all of them were gay.
So it's no wonder all these "beefcake" actors with the overly manly names from Jed Clampett's studio never got anywhere with Elly Mae Clampett, that was part of the in-joke.
Just an aside, Donna Douglas appeared on ME-tv's 77 Sunset Strip episode today,
"The Celluloid Cowboy", and she was so astoundingly beautiful in it, jaw dropping so, that I wonder if Beverly Hillbillies producer's didn't try to make her less alluring, for some reason.
77 Sunset Strip made a point of showcasing the most beautiful starlets of early 60's Hollywood and Douglas may have been the best of the lot. But I digress.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#51 Post by ENSHealy »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:Magnum wouldn't have dared take time to phone Tanaka on his mad dash to the hospital. Tanaka must have been there already. I'm guessing that he was already hiding in that alcove, about to step out and catch Olivia red-handed, when Magnum rushed in (possibly seeing that Tanaka was there), and tricked Olivia into confessing that she had switched the guns.
I'm not sure that would have been possible. Check out the curtain relative to Olivia in the pic below. If Tanaka was behind the curtain, she's totally going to see him as she approaches the bed (she'd started on the far side of the bed and has just walked around the foot of the bed when she enters the frame below). Problem is, there's also no room for Tanaka to sneak in with Thomas, as is clear from the second pic. Olivia has a clear line of sight to and behind TM. So I guess Tanaka must have been hiding in an air duct off camera behind the curtain, and silently climbs out, just after Thomas enters the room. Yeah, that's the ticket....
Image Image
Kimbosan wrote:Hi Guys,
Yes the taxi is going the wrong direction but amazingly it turns up at the estate travelling the right way…
Kimbosan
Actually, it's still going the wrong way. The taxi is travelling from left to right, as you look at the gate from the road, which is north to south. A taxi from the airport to Pahonu would arrive going right to left (south to north) from that vantage point. So it's at least consistent, if incorrect. (Consistent in that the car travels left to right everytime we see it. Geographically it is inconsistent because driving north to south like that, one would pass the estate before getting to Makai Pier.) Could they have taken the Pali Highway?) that would explain the north to south direction, but Makai Pier would still be out of sync.
MaiTaiMan wrote:But, I also like this episode because I can relate to Magnum in this one. Even though I do like several actresses the same age as I am, or thereabouts, I also like several that are older than I am--one even old enough to be my grandma! LOL! :lol:
Two words: Helen Mirren. She's got 25 years on me, and there would be no hitch in my giddyup if the opportunity ever presented itself....
grambax wrote:A small gripe - there didn't appear to be any camera in a position to film the crucial "film within film" closeup, and even if there was, why would it be filming such a thing?
That is a great catch, grambax!! True, all the cameras were on the other side of the scene, behind Jack Martin. But without it, we would not have gotten to see the awesome magic dailies-on-video VCR. Makes me yearn for the days when a VCR was as big as a suitcase and computers filled a room!

Does anyone else think this guy was an intentional Magnum clone/lookalike? He seemed to be just a little too obvious in every scene he's in.

Last, but not least, I wasn't a great fan of this episode, although Tanaka is always a treat. I was trying to figure out why it seemed flat, and maybe this is why:

Hawaiian shirts: 0
Island Hopper shirts: yellow on green, light blue on cream
Body Count: 1 Jack Martin, shot by Olivia Ross
Shirtless Tom: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Higgins musings: 0
4th wall breaks: 0
Negotiations: 0

Look at all the classic tropes that are missing!! It's like they forgot what show they were shooting!!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ENSHealy »

What do you think? Could Tanaka have snuck in the room behind Thomas as he enters?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I assumed he just popped down from the ceiling, like Lloyd Bridges.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#55 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:Last, but not least, I wasn't a great fan of this episode, although Tanaka is always a treat. I was trying to figure out why it seemed flat, and maybe this is why:
Hawaiian shirts: 0

Look at all the classic tropes that are missing!! It's like they forgot what show they were shooting!!
Corrected Magnumometer:
Hawaiian shirts: 1

Ensign Healy