6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 91

TheLads
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#31 Post by TheLads »

robspace54 wrote:I justed watched this espisode from the DVD and it certainly is powerful. It has no breast beating scenes - things just play out.

The final lines where she asks, "When will the war end?" and TM answers - "I don't know" say SO much. For some it never ended, and never will.
I don't think Taylor getting blown up at the end was all that accidental. He must have known that he'd be going to his death, and part of him probably wanted to, because he'd finally be free of the responsibility he felt over Ed's death, and the war.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Seaver41 »

awesome episode that does slip under the radar. In that almost final scene at the gravesight, Magnum mentions how surviving is sometimes the tougher part to handle..........something we see with EVERY war. Definitely a moving scene at the end.

All in all.......Season 2 is pretty damn good.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Last Page (2.20)

#33 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

An excellent episode!!

Now that I'm done with season 2 I can say that it's definitely a top 5 episode of the season. In fact probably top 3. "Memories are Forever" is easily the best of the season and "The Jororo Kill" is probably the second best. I'd probably place "The Last Page" at #3. As you can see I love episodes that deal with Magnum's past in 'Nam. And all 3 of those episodes have connections to Vietnam. Donald Bellisario definitely had a thing for 'Nam since his next show AIRWOLF also dealt heavily with the trauma of the Vietnam war and the hero (Stringfellow Hawke) using Airwolf on various occasions to try to locate his brother St. John ("Sinjin") believed to be MIA.

I thought Robert F. Lyons did a really good job as the troubled vet Taylor Hurst. He came across as a really likable guy and you really empathized with him. His scenes with Joanna Kerns and her son were also very good. Both Lyons and Kerns would guest star together the following season in THE A-TEAM episode "A Nice Place to Visit" - one of the best episodes of that show's first season! I loved the scenes at the Punchbowl Cemetery -- first at the beginning where Magnum meets Hurst and then at the end with Magnum and Joanna Kerns by Hurst's grave. Very poignant! Also the way the episode opens with the men on a mission in the helicopter in 'Nam and the black-and-white helicopter in 'Nam freeze-frame at the end. Powerful stuff! An added bonus for a huge FIVE-0 fan like me was seeing Kam Fong in a rather large role (compare it to Zulu's insignificant role as the hotel doorman in "The Jororo Kill") playing Cam Chung, which I must say Kam played superbly! The explosion at the end totally knocked my socks off. Did not see that coming!! It's the type of shocking ending that the best episodes of FIVE-0 were famous for.

Anyway, rounding out the top 5 for season 2 would be "Try to Remember" (always loved amnesia stories, plus we get Lt. Tanaka's debut) and "Italian Ice" (basically Play Misty For Me/Fatal Attraction in Hawaii, a story Bellisario used again in the AIRWOLF episode "The Truth About Holly"). Honorable mentions must also go to "Wave Goodbye" and "The Taking of Dick McWilliams" (yes I liked that one). "Billy Joe Bob" was pretty good too - probably because it was the first MPI I ever saw.

Then there were the overrated episodes which I couldn't really get into - like "Dead Man's Channel" (the kudu buck was its only saving grace) or "The Woman on the Beach" (Kenneth Mars as Josef the caretaker being the best bit there) or even "The Elmo Ziller Story" (which I had high hopes for considering that Hillerman would be doing double duty as both Higgins and Elmo, but which ended up being rather bland, especially in the second half with all the rodeo nonsense).

Worst episode of the season? Gotta be a toss-up between "The Sixth Position" (could that ballerina have been any more annoying and just plain ornery?) and "One More Summer" (what was the point of that one again? I guess it doesn't help that I'm not a football fan).

Oh and I quite liked the season finale "Three Minus Two". Nice to see former Bond girl Jill St. John (from DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER) as Jan Kona and Denny Miller is always a plus - here playing a punch-happy security guard named "Ox". Plus all the money shots - like the snorkel shot, the car blowing up, the almost dropping of the "Rolls Royce of cameras" :wink:, T.C. as Mr. Alex snapping away with the camera at the gorgeous models.

Neil Peel
Lieutenant

#34 Post by Neil Peel »

SPOILER ALERT:- There is something puzzling about this episode which is probably obvious but hopefully one of you guys can explain. Early in the episode, Taylor gives Magnum the names of Linda Greer and Celeste to help in his search but where did he get these names from?
When Thomas is eventually "introduced" to Linda in the alleyway she denies all knowledge of Taylor. Thomas later states that he thinks she was telling the truth, so if that is the case, how did Taylor get her name? Are we to assume that Taylor visited the Wild Zebra Club beforehand and saw Linda with Kam, and if so, why didn't he subsequently track Kam himself? Similarly, how did Taylor know that Kam Chung was in Hawaii in the first place?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#35 Post by Milton Collins »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:5. While Rick is trying to get information on Kam Chung from Mr. Hiramoto, he is getting a massage and he tells Mr. Hiramoto that he doesn't expect the information "gratis" and that if Mr. Hiramoto is ever in Brooklyn and needs anything to give him a call. Brooklyn? I thought Rick was from Chicago. I don't recall any other geographical reference to Rick, other than Chicago and Vietnam. :?
Actually, this isn't the only time they mention Brooklyn as Rick's home town. In season 1 episode The Ugliest Dog In Hawaii he tells the gangster he knows him from Brooklyn, though it might be just one of his bullshit stories.

Interesting! And I noticed this comment/error on the massage table right away, I was like Rick from Brooklyn? Yeah right lol. While I greatly respect how this episode pays tribute to the men and women who served in Viet Nam and how they were most definitely effected long after, I wasn't crazy about this one. Not that it was bad (I gave it a 7.5) but season 2 was SO GOOD that this one just kind of came and went and didn't stand out. I've watched it a few more times over the years (including last night) and have had the same feeling, just not that great to me. It is interesting how some soldiers were killed by smugglers, drug lords, etc (I'm assuming there is some truth to this aspect of this story and obviously those countries are filled with that kind of criminal activity). I loved the cannon scene though, watching TM get shelled with blanks by Higgins toy cannon was great! By the way, Taylor seemed extremely familiar to me, I'll have to check out his IMBD and find out where I've seen him before.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#36 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:I voted this a [9.0]. An excellent episode that had me teary eyed by story's end, particularly the B&W still shots of Hurst and Eddie. I could empathize with how losing a comrade in that way could be devastating. Hurst's sobbing over Eddie was deeply moving. I hate to see a grown man cry.

The ending was worthy of Hawaii Five-O, which never shied away from a downbeat finale. Is it a coincidence that longtime Five-O alum Kam Fong was also involved here? Probably, but I love seeing Five-O cast members on MPI, especially in an intense episode like this.
Watched The Last Page for the first time in four years and it still retains its dramatic emotional power.

I appreciated the tenuous Vietnam war-era connection Taylor Hurst (Robert F. Lyons; who's magnificent in this episode) had with Thomas, whose voice is heard over the radio in the extended opening sequence. A similar motif would be used again in the less-successful and significantly less-well-regarded Two Birds of a Feather from S3. It was a nice touch to include T.C. as part of Hurst's Vietnam experience, as well. Plus the book-end ending of the "photo" version of the opening scenes with Ed and Hurst was a particularly poignant ending to an outstanding episode. It's all the more tragic that Hurst wasted his life in vengeance instead of looking after his friend's son and accepting the love of the woman who loved him.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

eltonsean
Captain

#37 Post by eltonsean »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:An excellent episode!!

Now that I'm done with season 2 I can say that it's definitely a top 5 episode of the season. In fact probably top 3. "Memories are Forever" is easily the best of the season and "The Jororo Kill" is probably the second best. I'd probably place "The Last Page" at #3. As you can see I love episodes that deal with Magnum's past in 'Nam.
I'm totally with you on these choices, Ivan. The 'Nam episodes are so great! I even agree with your top 5 choice order, with the exception of "Italian Ice", which is still a good episode, but I'd pick "Wave Goodbye" and "Tropical Madness" over it. I'm surprised you didn't mention "Wave Goodbye" seeing as it also has 'Nam themes included and deals with the topic of Post Traumatic Stress. :magnum:
"Living well is the best revenge".

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by KingKC »

All I can visualize from this episode is Higgins almost getting blown up in a Gazebo type structure towards the end. The rest is a complete loss. But it is one of very few, especially from Season 2, that escapes me.

KingKC

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Milton Collins »

Cannon scene = me laughing out loud. Absolutely hilarious! One of my favorite Magnum vs Higgins scenes of the entire series.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by ENSHealy »

2.20 THE LAST PAGE
Hawaiian shirts: 1 – dark blue with white flowers
Island Hopper shirts: 1 - light blue on yellow
Body Count: 3. Ed Kanfer, in Vietnam. Taylor Hurst, Kam Chung, claymore explosion in the gazebo.
Shirtless TM appearances: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: Contrary to popular opinion, private investigation is a very dreary business. Endless stakeouts, tailings, and tedious detail work are the rule. That is, most of the time. Every once in a while, it's pure luck.
Higgins musings: 0
Investigator correction: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 0
Magnumometer: 7

I assume that TM's call sign of White Knight is another reference (in addition to "How's tricks?") to his Lance White character on Rockford. Lance(lot) White - White Knight.

I love that Rick claims Icepick got his nickname because "he used to sell housewares."

Anybody else notice that Cousin Ho from China Doll is one of Kam's bodyguards at the gazebo? Hi Ho!

And finally, a question for those of you who might be more familiar with military burial requirements: would they have given Hurst a spot in a national cemetery after he just murdered someone? Do crimes committed after your service count against you for military burial? Just wondering.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by K Hale »

"He used to sell housewares" is right up there with "He's from an old Chicago family; they're big in cement" from Limited Engagement. :roll:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#42 Post by ☨magnum.t »

ENSHealy wrote:2.20 THE LAST PAGE
Hawaiian shirts: 1 – dark blue with white flowers
Island Hopper shirts: 1 - light blue on yellow
Body Count: 3. Ed Kanfer, in Vietnam. Taylor Hurst, Kam Chung, claymore explosion in the gazebo.
Shirtless TM appearances: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: Contrary to popular opinion, private investigation is a very dreary business. Endless stakeouts, tailings, and tedious detail work are the rule. That is, most of the time. Every once in a while, it's pure luck.
Higgins musings: 0
Investigator correction: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 0
Magnumometer: 7

I assume that TM's call sign of White Knight is another reference (in addition to "How's tricks?") to his Lance White character on Rockford. Lance(lot) White - White Knight.

I love that Rick claims Icepick got his nickname because "he used to sell housewares."

Anybody else notice that Cousin Ho from China Doll is one of Kam's bodyguards at the gazebo? Hi Ho!

And finally, a question for those of you who might be more familiar with military burial requirements: would they have given Hurst a spot in a national cemetery after he just murdered someone? Do crimes committed after your service count against you for military burial? Just wondering.

e. Persons Found Guilty of a Capital Crime

Under 38 U.S.C. § 2411, interment or memorialization in a VA national cemetery or in Arlington National Cemetery is prohibited if a person is convicted of a Federal or State capital crime, for which a sentence of imprisonment for life or the death penalty may be imposed and the conviction is final. Federal officials may not inter in Veterans cemeteries persons who are shown by clear and convincing evidence to have committed a Federal or State capital crime but were unavailable for trial due to death or flight to avoid prosecution. Federally funded State veterans cemeteries must also adhere to this law. This prohibition is also extended to furnishing a Presidential Memorial Certificate, a burial flag, and a headstone or marker.

So he could have had a Military funeral at a non-state or non-federally funded Cemetery, or maybe the Govt. didn't pursue it.
That reminds me of the time....

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by ENSHealy »

Great information, thanks tmt! Obviously, he wouldn't have been convicted, as I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered with the expense of a trial post mortem, so I still wonder if/how the rule would apply.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

karolis
Admiral

#44 Post by karolis »

ENSHealy wrote: I assume that TM's call sign of White Knight is another reference (in addition to "How's tricks?") to his Lance White character on Rockford. Lance(lot) White - White Knight.
Magnum's call sign in Vietnam was "White Knight", now that we saw Magnum P.I. reboot trailer we know why new TC calls him "White Knight" and it is part of the name of the Robin Masters book.

In the background you can see the same brown van going left to right (8:32) and right to left (09:00) in less then a half minute during the conversation.

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. Italian Ice
5. The Last Page
6. Try to Remember
7. The Woman on the Beach
8. The Jororo Kill
9. Computer Date
10. Dead Man’s Channel
11. Wave Goodbye
12. Texas Lightning
13. Ghost Writer
14. The Sixth Position
15. From Moscow to Maui
16. One More Summer
17. Double Jeopardy
18. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
19. Billy Joe Bob
20. Mad Buck Gibson

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

eltonsean wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:An excellent episode!!

Now that I'm done with season 2 I can say that it's definitely a top 5 episode of the season. In fact probably top 3. "Memories are Forever" is easily the best of the season and "The Jororo Kill" is probably the second best. I'd probably place "The Last Page" at #3. As you can see I love episodes that deal with Magnum's past in 'Nam.
I'm totally with you on these choices, Ivan. The 'Nam episodes are so great! I even agree with your top 5 choice order, with the exception of "Italian Ice", which is still a good episode, but I'd pick "Wave Goodbye" and "Tropical Madness" over it. I'm surprised you didn't mention "Wave Goodbye" seeing as it also has 'Nam themes included and deals with the topic of Post Traumatic Stress. :magnum:
Eltonsean, I'm a fan of "Wave Goodbye" too and loved Wings Hauser in it as the vet suffering from PTSD. I did mention that I would place it at #6. It falls just outside of my top 5 for the season. "Italian Ice" is the only one in my top 5 which has no connection to 'Nam. "Try to Remember" has the 'Nam flashback that TM keeps experiencing, necessitating Higgins to use hypnosis on him.