6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 91

Jaybird
Admiral

#11 Post by Jaybird »

This is a fav of mine because of the Vietnam war connection and the psychological stress it placed on many vets. The episodes that deal with war issues add a note of believablity to the series. It is this believability that gave TM a real depth of character and endeared him to many fans. Without it MPI may have just been another detective show from the 80s. No fan club. No Magnum Mania.
Anyway, the actors did a great job, Robert Lyons (Taylor Hurst) especially. Good story line. Trust me. Alot of vets had fantasies about evening the score regarding the death of a buddy. 1982 wasn't that far away from the end of Vietnam.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I love the way the show, in general, does an excellent job of dealing with the Vietnam War, and they also do it in a positive manner. Kudos to all involved for taking this approach.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

"How's tricks?"

This is a question one usually asks hookers who "turn tricks." It means how are things? Or how is business?

Source: Urban Dictionary

gmt16750
Captain

#14 Post by gmt16750 »

During the cannon powder tryout, Magnum imitating Higgins' accent with his "not at all!" so british and his face :lol:
few images are better than my poor english ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GgydWH6g-Q
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Frodoleader »

I think this season 2 episode sealed the deal for me, in making me a lifelong MPI fan. I love the intersection of the Viet Nam War, life after the war and the Magnum-Higgins interplay. I always loved the ending, of the still photos of the guys in the Huey. Very moving.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#16 Post by robspace54 »

I justed watched this espisode from the DVD and it certainly is powerful. It has no breast beating scenes - things just play out.

The final lines where she asks, "When will the war end?" and TM answers - "I don't know" say SO much. For some it never ended, and never will.

First mention of Icepick and is this first time we see Magnum save Higgins?

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Does anybody happen to know where exactly this is on Hotel Street?

The inside scene at the "Wild Zebra Club" appears to be a real club, and not a set. I know this is a long shot, but does anybody know what club/bar this was filmed in? It's hard to say for sure, but it looks very similar to the one used in "Laura" with Frank Sinatra.

The Swing Club, Club Hubba Hubba, Smith's Union Bar... I wonder which one they used. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Sam »

Hi James.The location in the first picture is 2-3 doors down from the Hubba Hubba and more from Swing and Union.Those 3 clubs are closer to Nuuanu ave.

In your first pic..the one way sign is Smith St..shown here

Red X is Bar 35..Green line..one way sign...Here is a link to Bar 35/

http://www.bar35hawaii.com/index.php?ma ... eturnid=58

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sam »

Here's a different view...

Orange line is Smith St...Red x is Bar 35..Blue circle is Hubba...As an aside..Green x is the window at the Mini Garden where Frankie put the guys head through the window in Laura.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Sam »

I found a youtube commercial for bar 35..It looks like the place although I'm pretty sure it wasn't Bar 35 in the MPI days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZukiVLuxU

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks Sam!

Bar 35 definitely wasn't around in the '80s. I can't seem to find any indoor pictures online of any of the clubs/bars on Hotel Street circa 1970s or 1980s (or any era for that matter). You would think that a picture or two of Club Hubba Hubba, or The Swing Club, or Tammy's Lounge (or any of them) would have found its way to the Net at some point by now, but alas, that doesn't appear to be the case (although I havn't done an exhaustive search). Although I guess it's not too surprising. I would imagine pictures were probably frowned upon by the owners/bouncers of these kinds of "establishments". A camera flash was probably met with a quick kick out the door! ;)

I really do think that the scene in "Laura" was filmed at the same place as the one in "The Last Page". The lighting was much darker in the scene in "Laura", but the general layout (from what we can see) is very similar. In "Laura", Frank Sinatra is seen entering and exiting The Swing Club, but we don't for sure if the scene that was filmed inside was actually the same place. It could very easily have been a different place.

I'm dying to know what place they used!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Sam »

I've been researching the buildings on that block of Hotel St.trying to find a history of the former names and the current names of the businesses.Then I'll look for photos but I don't think cameras were allowed in the strip clubs.

The buildings and address now are....all N hotel st

Club Hubba Hubba........25.....closed in 1997 and still closed

Nikki's Arcade................31

Bar 35................................35

Thirtynine Hotel....................39

Next Door............................43

Amy's Place..........................49 n hotel
Last edited by Sam on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Sam »

Hi James,

I saw this on a Hawaii Forum..
If I get time today I'll register on the forum and leave the video link.Hopefully someone can identify the locations,

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaulted_Ruler
Anyway, back on topic...Club Hubba Hubba (live Swing music)...never been in there, but a friend of mine's dad used to own that place. Now it's the swank Club 35 or sumtin like that...the one with the tree in the back alley.

ER

No. Club Hubba Hubba is all boarded up. Club 35 used to be the The Swing Club owned by the late Chis Vicari. His daughter now owns the buildings which houses Club 35, Next Door, Amy's, Nicki's Arcade, Mini Garden and Little Village. Also, the old Risque theater building that was burned and now vacant.

The Hubba Hubba building is owned by Alan Stack and family. It will be remodeled soon. The Restaurant where Benny's was will also brought back to it's prime condition. Project is to take at least 1-1 1/2 years.

Auntie Lynn

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Sam »

OOPS..The Swing Club/ Bar 35 is located here...red x..not green circle.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks again Sam. That looks like a really good Hawaii forum! If you do post the question(s) there, please add these pics from "Laura".

From the outside, we see Frank enter/exit the Swing Club and Magnum enter/exit Club Hubba Hubba. The inside area near the entrance is very similar in both, but it appears to be two different places (we're led to believe that in the sequence, as well). It wouldn't surprise me at all if these were both filmed at the Swing Club and Club Hubba Hubba. In Frank's scene, you can see an adult book/movie store sign through the open door. This sign doesn't appear anywhere on the side of the street where Swing and Hubba (hehe) are located, so that would be further evidence that the indoor scene was filmed there. Benny's Danceland is also a candidate, as that was right next to Hubba.

I'd be willing to bet anything the scene in "The Last Page" was filmed at one of these two places.

Hotel Street. What a time, what a place. The Times Square of the Pacific. ;)