6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 111

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#31 Post by rubber chicken »

That's interesting. Could it be a turtle walking upright? If so, it would be appropriate because of the turtle pond. Perhaps school groups were visiting and the Andersons put it up for that purpose?

And it's hard to tell, but it could be on either the block wall or the chain link fence.

(at 9:29 in the episode)

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#32 Post by Agatha »

Or could it be some kind of a bag (full of tennis balls?) hanging on the fence? I don't know...you guys are too sharp-eyed for me!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#33 Post by rubber chicken »

That's what I thought when I first saw it Agatha. :) But it seems like an odd shape for a bag. To me it really does look like a turtle walking upright. There's his dark rounded shell, dark head, light underbelly, his arm, and his wee feet and hand. (Plus he's obviously headed in the direction of the turtle pond. ;) )

Here's the same screen capture, but three times larger than the one above.

ImageImage

The second one has the contrast turned up, and I might be crazy, but I get the impression he's wearing a deerstalker and smoking a pipe...

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#34 Post by Agatha »

You're right, rubber chicken...when you blow it up like that, it looks a lot less like a bag of tennis balls. And I can even see your turtle...with his deerstalker hat and his pipe!

I'm thinking maybe I won't finish this glass of wine, after all...

:)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

rubber chicken wrote:To me it really does look like a turtle walking upright.
Think you're right on this one RC. the only other thing I can think of is a baby dragon type of thing with a crest and its tongue sticking out. But the turtle thing seems more plausable with the turtle pond connection. Something to do with kids, no doubt.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by KENJI »

Great p.i. work Rubber Chicken!
I'm thinking it is on the wall and not the fence, as it would've been easy to take down off the fence for the scene, if it is a mural, not so easy and probably why we are talking about it right now. The turtle (honu) fits and would be perfect for a Pahonu charity event logo etc. that Eve Anderson has put on at the estate. I wonder if there are any other episodes out there with the turtle on the wall? Thanks Guys!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#37 Post by rubber chicken »

I conducted important research and found that the turtle is seen in at least ten episodes. Sometimes a second turtle can be seen on the opposite fence on the right side of the tennis court (it's clear now it's on the fence and not the wall). That one may have been up as long as the one on the left, but the right side is rarely seen. I didn't check prior to 2.11 or after 2.22 (which would be the next season). I just totally burnt out on looking for turtles. :?

Here's the list with one turtle appearance time for each episode:
2.11 (46:46)
2.12 (11:15)
2.14 (6:31)
2.15 (30:04)
2.16 (19:53)
2.18 (19:19)
2.19 (12:31)
2.20 (18:25)
2.21 posted above
2.22 (28:27)

It's already foggy in my mind since I did this a few days ago, but I think 2.13 and 2.17 didn't show the fence where the turtle(s) would be. I think we can assume they were there though.

2.18 (19:20) - additional turtle on the right side:

2.22 (25:13)

And the last one enlarged. Unfortunately the deerstalker is gone now, and the pipe seems to have turned into a... bill?

Higgins must have had Rick and T.C. put the turtles up for when elementary school field trips would come to the estate. That was never documented in an episode, sadly. ;)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I'm a little confused...why was this Turtle-thing on the fences, and/or allowed to be in the episodes? Was this something put up by the actual owners of the estate/tennis courts and would not let it be taken down to film scenes? It's just strange and totally out of place...and not something Higgins would like. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Wonderfully exhaustive work RC! I wonder if Rick Romer could offer any insight? On second thought, I guess he just worked in the studio...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#40 Post by Agatha »

Now THAT looks like a turtle!! :)

You ARE a super sleuth! :) :)

Too bad nobody noticed this little guy earlier...your Magnum Mania name could have been Tennis Turtle instead of rubber chicken!!

:) :) :)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by KENJI »

Too funny Agatha!
I was thinking of Tanaka the tennis turtle.
Great work R.C., Great work!!!!!!!!!!!!
After all these years it is funny how we still can find interesting bits of info dotted around or even hanging on a fence!
I do find it strange that they didn't take them down for filming.
My guess is that Mrs. Anderson wanted them left up. I could see if it was overlooked once, but not that many times.
I wonder what else we will discover.............
Thanks again R.C!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:I conducted important research and found that the turtle is seen in at least ten episodes. Sometimes a second turtle can be seen on the opposite fence on the right side of the tennis court (it's clear now it's on the fence and not the wall). That one may have been up as long as the one on the left, but the right side is rarely seen. I didn't check prior to 2.11 or after 2.22 (which would be the next season). I just totally burnt out on looking for turtles. :?

Here's the list with one turtle appearance time for each episode:
2.11 (46:46)
2.12 (11:15)
2.14 (6:31)
2.15 (30:04)
2.16 (19:53)
2.18 (19:19)
2.19 (12:31)
2.20 (18:25)
2.21 posted above
2.22 (28:27)

It's already foggy in my mind since I did this a few days ago, but I think 2.13 and 2.17 didn't show the fence where the turtle(s) would be. I think we can assume they were there though.

2.18 (19:20) - additional turtle on the right side:

2.22 (25:13)

And the last one enlarged. Unfortunately the deerstalker is gone now, and the pipe seems to have turned into a... bill?

Higgins must have had Rick and T.C. put the turtles up for when elementary school field trips would come to the estate. That was never documented in an episode, sadly. ;)
It looks like a praying dragon with bandages on its feet and forehead! LOL!

Great investigative work RC! I must say, I never noticed it in any of those episodes! Pretty darn funny! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#43 Post by Agatha »

I didn't notice them either, James! I guess I'll have to watch the whole series again...

Sigh!

:lol:

Doc Fred
Admiral

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

Great episode... Robin Dearden is terrific. Loved the dialogue, especially Lexi's comment about what's her face .. "the meanest woman to draw breath in Nevada!"

mandolabar
Captain

#45 Post by mandolabar »

I'm a Higgins fan and I loved this episode. The idea of a Texan playing an Englishman who plays a Texan was just too funny.

I'm a fifth-generation south Texas native, and my family owns some land out Highway 90 near Sabinal--and we drive through Hondo to get there. Someone must have really liked the name "Hondo," because it's mentioned again in Season 3...I can't remember the episode, it's the one with the pilot from Waco. Hondo is not at all a big city--it isn't now, and 30 years ago was probably less so...maybe it just *sounds* so Texan.

My daughter and I were watching it and it opens in the Hill Country and both of us, at the same time, said "No, it's not"--way too green, way too much ground cover. Their "Waco" in season 3 was too lush, as well--but they tried. :)

On accents, though. In south Texas--where Hondo is--the only accent you're likely to have is a Mexican one. Anglo speakers don't tend to have accents (I've been told many times that I can't be from Texas, because I don't have an accent)--I think it's due to the many military bases in San Antonio and the fairly diverse and changing population there.

West Texans (Midland/Odessa) have an accent, but the strongest accent in Texas is NORTH Texas--Dallas and environs. They aren't the same. (did I mention Texas is a big place?).

John Hillerman is from Denison, north of Dallas, and his native accent would have been North Texas. And when he's being Elmo, what he actually sounds like is a south Texan (no real accent, just some word usages that give it away), trying to affect a west Texas accent. All are authentic--but evidently (from the commentary) not all sound like what people expect from a "Texas" accent. :shock:

~Amanda