6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 93

Tuan Vu
Captain

#21 Post by Tuan Vu »

This episode was just so-so. I couldn't get interested in the story, but it was neat to see Julia Nickson-Soul, who starred in Rambo II a couple of years later (you can see one of her best scenes with Sylvester Stallone here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeU25_zA ... re=related). In this episode, she played Lani, one of the swimsuit (um, I mean, fashion) models.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by charybdis1966 »

I just saw this on DMAX today and while it's not a stand out episode it had some nice touches characterisation wise.
What got me was some of the commentary given by the first victim a few minutes before he got shot was so dated and non-pc. He couldn't get away with saying that kinda stuff today, but then most mainstream TV channels no longer show "Beauty pagents" over here in the UK anymore where that sort of commentary is de riguer.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by zebra3 »

I just saw Rambo III, and upon researching the movies, apparently the girl (I believe she was supposed to be Taiwanese) from Rambo II was also in this episode. It's been a while since I've seen it, but now I want to hear her voice again and see her in this role. Her name is Julia Nickson
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

zebra3 wrote:I just saw Rambo III, and upon researching the movies, apparently the girl (I believe she was supposed to be Taiwanese) from Rambo II was also in this episode. It's been a while since I've seen it, but now I want to hear her voice again and see her in this role. Her name is Julia Nickson
Don't remember her in Rambo or in this episode, but if you like her, you have to check out the excellent Noble House miniseries!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by miltontheripper »

I have to say I think this is an excellent episode. Great guest star with Jill St John and nice scenes with the swimsuit models!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by MaiTaiMan »

In all honesty the plot of this episode is somewhat silly and even predictable.

However, I love the interesting cast choices including Jill St. John from the 007 movie "Diamonds Are Forever", and Beverly Garland who I'll always remember as Kate Jackson's mother in "Scarecrow & Mrs. King".

This episode also includes several scenes noteably remembered in the opening montage during the starting theme song, including: the exploding old white Buick, T.C. as the goofy photographer, and of course the famous one with Magnum staring at the butt of the girl in the ocean while helping her learn how to snorkel. :wink:

These are actually what make this episode enjoyable and this was a good season finale--ending on a humorous and "light" note. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

TheLads
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#27 Post by TheLads »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:As I mentioned on my review for ‘The Elmo Ziller Story’, that wonderfully silly episode would have been a great finale to the season, whereas ‘Three Minus Two’ is very much a dull and unengaging affair. It feels like a leftover episode tacked on to the end of the season; perhaps the ‘powers that be’ didn’t like it any more than I do, and didn’t select for it to be screened earlier.

All-in-all, not really one of my favourite episodes. Why oh why couldn’t they have finished on ‘The Elmo Ziller Story’?
Season 1 ended on a similar note, with "J. Digger Doyle" running as the second-to-last episode to "Beauty Knows No Pain," when it really should have been the season closer.

RamblerReb
Commander

Flub?

#28 Post by RamblerReb »

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is a flub or not. When the announcer guy is backshot at the beginning (with the usual incorrect "thwip, thwip" sound effects-- suppressed fire is still fairly loud, it just doesn't sound like gunshots), the slide of the pistol (looks like a Walther P-38 ) locks back after the second shot. Either the killer was extremely confident in his marksmanship or the armorer only put as many blanks as the scene called for in the magazine. I've seen it before in other shows, but it still jars me out of the suspension of disbelief.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Seaver41 »

ho hum episode. Finally finished season 2

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Three Minus Two (2.22)

#30 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I noticed a few flubs:

1) When Higgins stands in front of a collection of yearbooks in the study, the yearbooks are not ordered by year, but placed totally at random. That's very unlike Higgins.

2) When Higgins meets Jan Kona, he congratulates her on her current swimwear collection. Again, being interested in swimwear fashion is very out of character for Higgins.

3) When the cops are questioning Jan by the sea wall, Magnum mentions the car bomb. The cops never mentioned anything about a car bomb, at least while Magnum was present.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#31 Post by charybdis1966 »

Doc Ibold wrote:Actually,

Most of the time when TC is acting like someone, he pulls the overacting bit.

I kind of like it because it IS so over the top!
Agreed, TC hamming it up is quite hilarious and in character as he is no way an actor of any description. Rick also overdoes the acting when he's reading lines in "Double Jeopardy".
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Milton Collins »

Here he is again, the actor who plays the cop who comes to the estate. I've seen him in at least the following episodes: the guy who brings magnum the drink in ricks office in the Kona winds, the car salesman "willie k" the car salesman, and the angry Hawaiian in Kapu. Gotta say I love spotting the recurring actors playing different roles. As far as this episode is concerned, it's one of my personal favs! Great murder mystery plot and a nice twist at the end. It's one if the first episodes I ever remember seeing and a solid 9.5 for me!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#33 Post by Doc Ibold »

Milton Collins wrote:Here he is again, the actor who plays the cop who comes to the estate. I've seen him in at least the following episodes: the guy who brings magnum the drink in ricks office in the Kona winds, the car salesman "willie k" the car salesman, and the angry Hawaiian in Kapu. Gotta say I love spotting the recurring actors playing different roles. As far as this episode is concerned, it's one of my personal favs! Great murder mystery plot and a nice twist at the end. It's one if the first episodes I ever remember seeing and a solid 9.5 for me!
That would be the late, great Dick Jensen.

:wink:

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Milton Collins »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:Here he is again, the actor who plays the cop who comes to the estate. I've seen him in at least the following episodes: the guy who brings magnum the drink in ricks office in the Kona winds, the car salesman "willie k" the car salesman, and the angry Hawaiian in Kapu. Gotta say I love spotting the recurring actors playing different roles. As far as this episode is concerned, it's one of my personal favs! Great murder mystery plot and a nice twist at the end. It's one if the first episodes I ever remember seeing and a solid 9.5 for me!
That would be the late, great Dick Jensen.

:wink:
Thanks Doc Ibold! As I mentioned, I love spotting the recurring actors, part of the fun of the show! I thought Dick ws very good in all his roles!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!