6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 105

northshore
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by northshore »

I'm not sure why I found this so funny but Magnum loans Billy Joe Bob his patent Hawaiian shirt when the two of them "switch roles" to find out information on Carol-Ann from the prostitutes at the gentlemen's club. I often thought about getting one of the Magnum Hawaiian shirts but I think I'm more a Billy Joe Bob than a Magnum... so I'm passing on the idea. LOL :roll:

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by zebra3 »

I really had to cringe when I saw the bar scene. Billy Joe unable to control himself to an embarrassing degree, and Magnum's terrible accent.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Okay...the name of this episode says it all...Billy Joe Bob. :? As I stated in another thread once, I am not a fan of cowboy/western type shows or movies, so this episode is not one I enjoy! The James Whitmore, Jr. character is just too hick/hillbilly for me...it annoyed the heck out of me! :x Magnum and "Cowboy Bob" just don't mix. :roll:

This was also not a very good season premiere, in my opinion! :shock: To me this should have been stuck in the middle somewhere as a "filler", while getting ready for more awesome episodes.

James Whitmore, Jr. also played a dorky, annoying cop during the first couple seasons of another 80's cop-drama called "Hunter"--starring Fred Dryer and Stepfanie Kramer. I loved "Hunter" too, but Whitmore's character irritated me just as much as he did here in "Magnum". However, "Hunter" producers/writers eventually phased him out, and it was the right move! But, Whitmore wanted to do more behind the camera anyway, and ended up directing tons of "Hunter" episodes instead!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Locations: Magnum and Billy talk with the prostitutes in a club that was popular in the 80's, a disco known as the Third Floor. It's logo read from down to up, as you saw with the signage hidden by the fern when the two fight the Japanese Pimps. Sam reminds me the Shotgun wielding bartender scene was probably shot at what is now the Aston on Kalakaua in what is now known as a tiki grill and bar. No wait. Tiki's bar and grill. No, that may be Tiki's grill and bar. Ah, it's something like that. Shortly thereafter, Magnum pulls up to the Marriott which is at Kalakakua and Ohua Streets. As the helicopter lands you can catch a glimpse of the aforementioned sacred ancient Hawaiian fish pond enclosure thang...

Additionally, the foley work is way off in two scenes: the two detectives (Borges & Kamekona) following Magnum at the Marriott and the dogs getting fooled by Billy Joe going up the stairs.

Seth Sakai ALLLLways has that forced exaggerated Clinton frown on when he does an underworld role... Once when I was at the Diamond Head Studios to arrange some propmaster work on a show shot here, Seth followed me with his eyes as I passed him. I wanted to say, "eh braddah, YOU somebody, not me!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Locations: Magnum and Billy talk with the prostitutes in a club that was popular in the 80's, a disco known as the Third Floor. It's logo read from down to up, as you saw with the signage hidden by the fern when the two fight the Japanese Pimps.
Do you happen to remember where this was located?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Braddah Kimo »

ah. my posts are read. well, one of them.
ok, gimme a little time... it will come to me...

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Sam »

Thanks Kimo for verifying the Aston bar location.I never noticed it until around 2005 and by then it was too late for me to check it out.As I mentioned in my PM,we stopped there 3 years running until 2001 to have a cocktail and BS with Nate,the old Hawaiian bartender.A cool and interesting guy who never had a shortage of old day stories.It was closed in 2002 and when we returned in 2003 it was Tiki's.The old place was a dump but there was a small lanai just off of the old stairwell that was a great place to watch the sunset.

Don't know if you follow Hawaii Five-O but a few episodes back Tiki's was used for a scene.It was the show when the college kids were kidnapped..

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Braddah Kimo »

yep saw it then an overhead surveillance cam shot i think. Still waiting for them to use La mariana...

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

Yeah. ..It was used in "Lost" right?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I think so. remember that detective show a while ago simply called "Hawaii"? they shot a couple scenes there. I supplied them with tons of decor to fill in the foreground. Vintage polynesian maita'i drink mugs, coasters, etc.. otherwise, tables bare, scene kinda blah zey...

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Seaver41 »

N1095A wrote:This episode has one of my favorite Magnum monemts. When Magnum is trying to talk TC into flying Billy Joe to check out a lead, TC is working on the chopper by banging in the open engine bay with a hammer. As the conversation continues, TC casually walks over to his tool box and gets a bigger hammer, then returns to the engine bay. It's a very subtle scene that I find very amusing. It's the old "You need a bigger hammer" joke.

As he is stealing TC's chopper, Billy Joe looks to his left showing the right side of the pilot's headset. Written in in large letters is the name D. JONES on the right earmuff. Being that it is supposed to be TC's headset, are we to assume TC stole it from some guy named Jones? In reality it was likely a headset belonging to pilotand aerial coordinator David Jones.

in that scene at the chopper....TC mutters to himself....."I told him that time".....gave me a good laugh.

Bes
Commander

#32 Post by Bes »

This is a breezily entertaining episode; I enjoyed it more than I expected upon revisiting it.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Saw TC bangin on his Helo with a mallet. Not a hammer.

""Billy Joe Bob", may very well be my least favorite episodes of the show." terrible ep, agreed. Only saving grace is the extended footage of the Clarence Cooke estate front entrance, front yard and the big back lanai..
The barkeep pulling a cocked loaded shotgun at patrons is TOO much. This would NEVER happen. aside from the fact NO one keeps a shotgun at the bar in Waiks.
I hate magnum telling the redneck "I may have been all buttercups and daisies in there.." gawd DAMMIT! NO one speaks like that. This is so gay. Tom, do not ever do that again.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Braddah Kimo »

" I just think that would be fun to walk around and check out all the cats! It might also be a little unnerving knowing so many of them will be watching you as you walk around (The Birds anybody?)."
Been going there for years. Cats feral and otherwise keep to themselves and are mostly unseen. They are not highly in evidence. And they don't give a ratsazz about humans.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Magnum T. »

Billy Joe Bob Little, a hot tempered Texan cow-boy, wants to hire Magnum to find his missing sister Carol Ann.
After a "friendly" chitchat with the man, TM agrees to investigate but Billy Joe's temper is not easy to deal with.
By mean of various "distracting" actions the p.i. finally manages to find Carol Ann's whereabouts but there aren't good news for Billy Joe.

Second Season begins with this "Billy Joe Bob" episode, not one of my favourite (I usually prefer the "lighter" episodes).
The plot is straight and simple with only a final twist, the acting performances are overall decent.
I like the scene when Magnum tells what he has discovered to BJ.
On the other hand I don't like when BJ enters the sea with his clothes on, it looks strange to me.
The best moments are (as often happens) the ones with TM and Higgins interacting, the whole "recycled vegetation" scene is simply hilarious (Hillerman is great here!).
And the reprise at the end with Magnum fooling him about the manure is the cherry on the top of the cake.
These two scenes save this episode, but it would have been better to use this one as a filler.
As a season starter is not that much.

Plus: Magnum/Higgins scenes (that "Nonsense!" is priceless).
Minus: plot a little weak, James Whitmore's character's a little "over-the-top".
Best line:
Magnum: Recycled vegetation? What do you mean recycled vegetation? Recycled how?
Higgins: Through a cow.

Notes:
- team ring on right hand.
- starting from this episode a slightly different version of the Post/Carpenter theme is used on the opening credits. New clips are used in the video montage too, including the iconic "snorkeling girl" which I believe will be used through the rest of the show.
- TM's belt with USN buckle is seen for the first time in this episode.
- Again, same actor playing different character: James Whitmore Jr. will return as Nuzo in the two-parts Season Three opening episode "Did you see the sunrise?".
Seth Sakai, already in "All Roads Leads to Floyd" (1.13) will play three other characters in four future episodes.
Jimmy Borges will appear again in "Did you see the sunrise?" (3.01-3.02), "Little Games" (5.12) and "This island isn't big enough" (6.16).
Patrick Bishop's character changes his name from Pat ("Missing in Action" (1.09) and "J. "Digger" Doyle" (1.17)) to Keoki. He will appear in six other episodes.
Robert Apisa was in "The Black Orchid" (1.16) and will be back in "From Moscow to Maui" (2.04), "...By Its Cover" (3.21), "Dream a Little Dream" (4.20) and "Tigers Fan" (8.04).
Danny Kamekona will appear again in five other episodes.
Deborah Takushi had played a waitress in "Adelaide" (1.14).
Deborah Hedquist had played a secretary in "All Roads Leads to Floyd" (1.13).
- about the almost-flub of Carol Ann saying "he told me", Coops' hypothesis makes sense. I have to admit though that it sounded strange to me when I saw the episode as it seems she's really referring to her brother. It would have been better to write that line in a clearer way.

Funny thing: I read there is a cat in one scene at Ito's place (an "extra"?). I admit I didn't notice him. Next time maybe...

Rate: 7
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"