6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 114

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Not totally sure why he attacked them...I think it's probably more because he was working for that professor and wanted her theory proved right...when he knew there was a good possibility it was wrong.
I think if he was such a deeply dedicated Hawaiian then the Ina Balin professor character should have been the last person whose theory he would want to support. After all, she was on a crusade to prove that the Spanish were the earliest influence on Hawaiian culture. Not Hawaiians.

So technically he should have tried to kill her. Not Magnum - since he was helping Marion prove her father's theory about Hawaiians being the earliest influence. That's why all the Hawaiians were happy at the end with Magnum & Marion's discovery about her father's theory.

I guess maybe Keone was just a superstitious nut who wanted to keep everyone away from the "sacred" channel at all costs.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Frodoleader »

Since I just watched this episode again recently, I went to the Hawaiian Peaches section on the front page. I read the IMDB link for Wendy Girard (with a couple of fairly recents pics of her - she looks great!!!). I was interested and a bit shocked to read that she was cast in the Fabulaous Baker Boys, with Jeff & Beau Bridges, but left the cast after being the victim of a violent crime! Wow, I wonder what happened to her?
Still like this episode, kudu buck and all.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I quite like this episode too and gave it a rating of 9. I yet have to award the highest score to an episode.

I liked the goat scenes with Higgins ("I give up the tennis courts" - "But you don't have the tennis courts") and the diving scenes were pretty neat, with all the exotic fish floating about at the beginning of the scene.
I envy everyone who can go diving, my ears won't allow me to go underwater. So I enjoy watching someone else dive, even if it's just for a film or TV-series.

I also liked the inclusion of Hawaiian people and Hawaiian culture, this is what makes it special to me.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Seaver41 »

caught this one last night..........light and easy viewing. I would submit that is a large part of why we like Magnum. It doesn't have to be heavy all the time and this was a fun episode.......even with the uneven writing. I enjoyed this one because I really don't remember it, so this was cool to see it like 'new'.

I usually pop one in before going to sleep.....and once again my wife complains that I've sucked her into another episode.....lol. I'm going to have her watch Memories are Forever with me this week..........this will explain my undying devotion to the show.

Faceman
Lieutenant

#45 Post by Faceman »

Just bought seasons 1 and 2 a few weeks ago and this is my most recent episode, have to say i loved it! From what i have seen so far (not as much as you guys), i thought Wendy Girard (stunning) was great as Marion, and as others have said the best female on it as a partner to magnum.

I have watched so many in recent weeks, am i right in saying TC doesn't appear in this one? Overall, it was a good show, nice bit of banter between rick and magnum, and of course the goat was a laugh!

snp389
Captain

#46 Post by snp389 »

Great episode!! This was one of the first eps that I saw as a kid when they first aired in Australia in 1981.
Horace the pet goat eating JQH's flowers.
Rick on the KK I.
TSM conning Mac for info.
A quiet nod to TSM's days as a SEAL with his Naval diving kit.
Marion is a bit of a babe.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Magnum T. »

Magnum is hired by a marine biology student to find her missing father, vanished while diving in a channel believed to be cursed by the natives.

Despite the extremely simple storyline this is one of my favourite episodes from Season 2.
Credit for this goes mainly to Wendy Girard, whose performance in the role of Marion Hammond is brilliant. I haven't seen her anywhere else(*) but she is an excellent actress, believable in her character and perfectly balanced in her acting.
I appreciated that, for once, the female guest-star doesn't seem to fall in love with TM instantaneously (no kisses this time!).
We have a short but funny Magnum-Mac scene and even Rick has his moments.
As usual, the interaction between Magnum and Higgins is absolutely perfect, all the "Horace the goat" scenes are hilarious, starting from the first sequence of Magnum arriving at Robin's Nest with Horace on the passenger seat (who wouldn't put a goat into a Ferrari?) up to Higgins hunting for the kudu buck.
There are two other reasons why I like this one: 1) it's the first episode (as far as I remember) to show underwater shots, which I like very much; 2) it deals with Hawaiian cultural elements.
A very good and entertaining episode to me (and probably a better season starter than "Billy Joe Bob").

Plus: as said, Wendy Girard's performance, Horace, underwater scenes.
Minus: the fight scene between Magnum and Prof. Martinez is not realistic (as noted by Milo Minderbinder)
Best line:
Magnum: Come on Higgins, just another day. One more and I'll...
Higgins: You'll what?
Magnum: I'll give up the tennis courts.
Higgins: You don't have the tennis courts!

Notes:
- team ring on the right hand
- Rick's Nissan is seen here for the second time, the first being outside the Waikiki War Memorial Natatorium in 1.04 "Thank Heaven For Little Girls And Big Ones Too".
- T.C. is not in the episode.
- Ina Balin will play another character in the first part of "L.A." (7.1 & 7.2)
- As noted by Jay-Firestorm, the boat from the beginning and the one seen later are completely different. Flub?
- I don't know if this can be considered a flub: there is a scene where Magnum and Marion find out that someone searched the boat, making a big mess.
Afterwards Marion find a bunch of pictures and other stuff about her, kept by her father through the years. I wonder why they didn't find those things when everything was upside down.

Funny thing:(*) according to IMDB Wendy Girard is in the cast of one of my all-times favourite movies, Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" but I can't remember her.
She is in "The Incredible Hulk", "Simon & Simon" and "The Twilight Zone" too. I have all but "Simon & Simon", gotta keep my eyes peeled next time.

Rate: 8.5

P.S.: I think I remember her in "Annie Hall" now. She must be the girl wearing shorts in the lobsters scene.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

The Guest Star Females SUCK, BIG TIME !

#48 Post by Sisophous »

What is with the women they choose for this series? Wendy Girard is another unlikeable girl. Her looks are decent, she is attractive, but the character these girls play on Magnum P.I. is always a turn off, pushy, opinionated and just not people who enhance viewing these episodes. At the opening of this episode, she is snobbish,making faces and rolling her eyes, and oversensitive when Magnum appears unprofessional with his Goat he is caring for. Why the attitude with all these Magnum P.I. women? Virtually all of them seem to show it. Was it the "In Thing" back in the early 80s for women to be standoffish in Hollywood? I am beginning to think so, a way to play to the feminist generation in the States.

I wonder if any of you know who called the shots in selecting actors/actresses for these episodes? Frankly, the main cast of Magnum P.I. was a hit, but their guest stars are deplorable at times and at best sub par.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Dead Man's Channel (2.2)

#49 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Maybe it's just me but I find it funny how this character named Marion bears a passing resemblance to tennis player Marion Bartoli.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: The Guest Star Females SUCK, BIG TIME !

#50 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Sisophous wrote:What is with the women they choose for this series? Wendy Girard is another unlikeable girl. Her looks are decent, she is attractive, but the character these girls play on Magnum P.I. is always a turn off, pushy, opinionated and just not people who enhance viewing these episodes. At the opening of this episode, she is snobbish,making faces and rolling her eyes, and oversensitive when Magnum appears unprofessional with his Goat he is caring for. Why the attitude with all these Magnum P.I. women? Virtually all of them seem to show it. Was it the "In Thing" back in the early 80s for women to be standoffish in Hollywood? I am beginning to think so, a way to play to the feminist generation in the States.

I wonder if any of you know who called the shots in selecting actors/actresses for these episodes? Frankly, the main cast of Magnum P.I. was a hit, but their guest stars are deplorable at times and at best sub par.
I don't think she's doing anything of the like. You would also be slightly surprised if the detective you've hired turns up to your rendez-vous driving a red Ferrari with a goat on the passenger seat. Perhaps it's a problem you have with women in general which makes you see every woman through bitter eyes.

Personally I find strong women an exciting challenge, although I can understand how other men may feel intimidated by them, especially if they've had a traumatic experience in the past.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Magnum T. »

@Sisophous
Everyone has his own opinion.
Mine is Wendy Girard is one of the best guest-stars so far.
Besides, at first you criticize the character (i.e. the screenplay and/or the director) then you say you don't like the actors/actresses.
Maybe you are mixing two different things.
I don't see any snobbery in Marion (opposed to J. "Digger" Doyle, for example).
As CdL already pointed out, everybody would be a little surprised by a p.i. with a goat.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by steveadl »

My trivia contributiom for this episode :)

The diving scene at the 28:00 mark is filmed off the coast of the estate just along side Rabbit Island. At 28:35 we get to see a close up of the islands eastern shore I don't think we do in the series again (or any other Hawaii based show I've seen so far).

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#53 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I really liked this one. It had a lot of the classic elements such as drama, mystery, comedy. It combined them brilliantly I thought.

The only thing I didn't like was that it never explained what Rick was doing on the boat with those guys (one of whom was openly carrying a gun). It's like they meant to have it carry over to future episodes, but decided against it.

The rest of it was great. Magnum's client and the professor had a clear dislike for each other from the start over ideology. That was a great story element since it later was revealed that the professor had killed the father. The natives and Magnum disagreeing about the channel was a great nod to how natives may have not liked the American military intruding in certain places. Magnum still promising parts of the treasure knowing that there was no treasure just because he still needed help was classic Magnum. I, personally, felt that the student assistant attacked Magnum because he was angry over Magnum having that blade. He expressed as such and then watched Magnum just casually tossing it into the car. Plus, he dressed in some kind of native costume which was probably symbolism as to why he was taking the blade. The sub plot with the goat was absolute classic Magnum comedy. From Magnum being overly anxious about running into Higgins to the point he was turning off his client from using him to Higgins thinking he may have had a whiskey too much that day was all great. The look on Magnum's face when he's told he doesn't "have" the tennis courts was fabulous. I can imagine him trying to remember which negotiation with Higgins cost him the courts and how long he "hadn't had them."

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by steveadl »

I thought the epsilon did explain Rick and the boat?

He was using the boat as a venue for illegal gambling for some shady characters.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted Dead Man's Channel a 7.5 (Decent)

While enjoyable (despite the absence of T.C.), there's something "off" about this episode, as if it were filmed in the first season and held back for the second though I doubt that since Wendy Girard's Marion Hammond character is dressed far too much like the early 1980s for it to have been filmed in early 1980--plus there's the aforementioned nod in this thread to Raiders of the Lost Ark's Marion Ravenwood and her missing father. Wendy Girard may be among the most underrated 'Peaches" in all of Magnum, P.I..

The best part of Dead Man's Channel is the abundance of Thomas-Rick interaction, with Rick getting the best of TM in the classic freeze-frame ending, which didn't often happen in later episodes when Thomas stuck his buddies with a tab or something. I also like the "at-sea" scenes, which would make Dead Man's Channel the most "seafaring" adventure up to this point in MPI's run.

The most memorable aspect of the episode is of course the brief underwater tussle between Thomas and Professor Martinez (Ina Balin), which would appear in MPI's opening credits and capture the adventuring imagination of young me. :D
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck