6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 114

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#21 Post by Higgy_baby »

Watched it tonight as I've broken the seal on season 2.

I really like the mix of diving, mystery, Island lore offset by the humour in Rick's 'mob' connections and of course the goat.

Regarding the goat, I'm surprised that Higgins didn't want to adopt it because it remininded him of some regimental mascot from his past. They still use these things in a few regiments. It would have been far more realistic than the absurd but hilarious kudu hunt.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

And for the record can we just say that Marion Hammond (Wendy Girard) is very sexy! She would've been a great match for TM.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

The set for Prof. Martinez' office features several items that were used in Steve McGarreett's office on Hawaii Five-0, including his chairs and globe. The desk is very similar, but is slightly different. The bookshelves may be the same, too, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

I loved the stuff about the goat. For me, these little sideshows that have nothing to do with the main story, but that add texture to the characters and their relationships with one another, are what add some extra appeal to the series. Another thing no one noted was that Magnum took the case pro bono, which just reinforces him being a good guy, if not continually impoverished. All in all I thought it was pretty good.

Also, while it's not really a flub, the underwater struggle between Magnum (a former SEAL) and the professor was completely unrealistic. Now that I think of it, maybe he wasn't yet said to be a former SEAL.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Milo Minderbinder wrote:Also, while it's not really a flub, the underwater struggle between Magnum (a former SEAL) and the professor was completely unrealistic. Now that I think of it, maybe he wasn't yet said to be a former SEAL.
We didn't really know he was a SEAL yet (that comes in the next episode), but we did know he was a war hero, as well as a strong swimmer in good shape. He should of taken out Prof. Martinez with ease! ;)

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Danno »

The goat scenes are hilarious.
Higgins: 'I'll give you and the goat 24 hours...'

Though the central concept for this episode is strong- I think the resolution isn't as good as it could have been- it possibly would have been aided by a longer running time or a reduction in some characters that aren't crucial to the narrative in a 40 minute TV time slot. You could see the potential for this to have been a Magnum movie.

Rick looks pretty funny in shorts and socks pulled high...

Too bad we don't get to see the Higgins/Magnum/Goat episode fully resolve.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#27 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Dan wrote:The goat scenes are hilarious.
Higgins: 'I'll give you and the goat 24 hours...'

Though the central concept for this episode is strong- I think the resolution isn't as good as it could have been- it possibly would have been aided by a longer running time or a reduction in some characters that aren't crucial to the narrative in a 40 minute TV time slot. You could see the potential for this to have been a Magnum movie.

Rick looks pretty funny in shorts and socks pulled high...

Love the new avatar Dan!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#28 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

Dan wrote:The goat scenes are hilarious.
Totally agree 8)
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#29 Post by rubber chicken »

To add to James' post above about the office items... thanks to ThomasMagnum's posts in the threads for The Sixth Position and Flashback I thought I remembered seeing the two small pictures in the following Hawaii Five-O screenshot in this Dead Man's Channel episode.

I think these on the wall above Magnum are likely the same ones:

Although I was probably remembering the versions in the next two screenshots, which aren't the same. They look like the same picture, but the first is in color and both share a frame with another picture.

Upper left:

The picture that's being pointed to

Also seen in the screenshot above is what looks like McGarrett's bookcase (shown in the Hawaii Five-O screenshot). And at first I thought that was possibly the same ship model that was in McGarrett's office, but now I see it isn't the same. The number of sails and color of the hulls are different.

Lastly, the picture in the upper right of this screenshot was also used in The Sixth Position, nine episodes later:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Sam »

A few days after these new pictures were posted,I found this info..If you like Hawaii and stuff :) ..This is a pretty good blog.

http://hawaiiantimemachine.blogspot.com ... -results=7

http://www.sergeking.com/HAM/makini.html

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is a great Hawaii-themed blog! The Hawaii of yesteryear! :)

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by zebra3 »

Operation Chessboard wrote:Watched this one again and noticed a flub. When TM dives in the channel for the first time searching for treasure, he's wearing his team ring on his left ring finger. However, when he reaches the surface after finding the artifact, the team ring is now on his right ring finger. The underwater scenes and the 'kudubuck' are the highlights of this episode for me. James, I'm a little suprised you dislike this episode so much. IMHO, this one is brilliant compared to some of the stuff in seasons 5 and 6.
Making me not want to buy season 5. There were a few episodes in season 4 that were stale, I'd feel like having seen "Mac's Back" that I've seen the best that season has to offer. Oh and this episode was worth it just to see Magnum carrying a goat.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#33 Post by Styles Bitchley »

zebra3 wrote:Making me not want to buy season 5. There were a few episodes in season 4 that were stale, I'd feel like having seen "Mac's Back" that I've seen the best that season has to offer. Oh and this episode was worth it just to see Magnum carrying a goat.
There's some gold in Season 5 Zebra. Don't let the negative comments scare you off. While the season may not be as good as others, it's still better than many other shows.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#34 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

After seeing Magnum in those shorts, I can't fault this episode. Oh I guess there could have been more dive short shots ;)
"When I write my book on being a first class private investigator, Rule Number 168 is going to be: If you're getting chased, you should be in a fast car....
Postscript to Rule 168: No matter how fast your car is, there can always be one that's faster!"

burny
Commander

#35 Post by burny »

i really liked this ep. the kudu buck stuff is CLASSIC!

i vote Wendy Girard as "least annoying female co-star"....she is a breathe of
fresh air compared to usual Cassie Yates, Annie Potts, Candy Clark....etc...
she displayed a welcome understated personality, beauty and smarts.
kinda seemed more like the type of woman TM would really be interested in.
basically, she was realistic and brought a believable, not cartoony, element to
the episode.