6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 114

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is a great Hawaii-themed blog! The Hawaii of yesteryear! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by zebra3 »

Operation Chessboard wrote:Watched this one again and noticed a flub. When TM dives in the channel for the first time searching for treasure, he's wearing his team ring on his left ring finger. However, when he reaches the surface after finding the artifact, the team ring is now on his right ring finger. The underwater scenes and the 'kudubuck' are the highlights of this episode for me. James, I'm a little suprised you dislike this episode so much. IMHO, this one is brilliant compared to some of the stuff in seasons 5 and 6.
Making me not want to buy season 5. There were a few episodes in season 4 that were stale, I'd feel like having seen "Mac's Back" that I've seen the best that season has to offer. Oh and this episode was worth it just to see Magnum carrying a goat.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#33 Post by Styles Bitchley »

zebra3 wrote:Making me not want to buy season 5. There were a few episodes in season 4 that were stale, I'd feel like having seen "Mac's Back" that I've seen the best that season has to offer. Oh and this episode was worth it just to see Magnum carrying a goat.
There's some gold in Season 5 Zebra. Don't let the negative comments scare you off. While the season may not be as good as others, it's still better than many other shows.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#34 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

After seeing Magnum in those shorts, I can't fault this episode. Oh I guess there could have been more dive short shots ;)
"When I write my book on being a first class private investigator, Rule Number 168 is going to be: If you're getting chased, you should be in a fast car....
Postscript to Rule 168: No matter how fast your car is, there can always be one that's faster!"

burny
Commander

#35 Post by burny »

i really liked this ep. the kudu buck stuff is CLASSIC!

i vote Wendy Girard as "least annoying female co-star"....she is a breathe of
fresh air compared to usual Cassie Yates, Annie Potts, Candy Clark....etc...
she displayed a welcome understated personality, beauty and smarts.
kinda seemed more like the type of woman TM would really be interested in.
basically, she was realistic and brought a believable, not cartoony, element to
the episode.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I really liked this episode...it included awesome Hawaiian history, the eeriness of the supposed Hawaiian curse, the awesome underwater scenes, action, etc.... This isn't that serious of an episode but I still think an enjoyable and "fun" one to watch just the same! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hey guys! New poster here! Been a life-long HAWAII FIVE-0 fan so my love for the islands stems from that show. I've visited the islands twice and couldn't get over the excitement I felt during my stay there! Even peeked over the front gate of the "Masters Estate". :)

Anyway I decided to start watching MAGNUM, P.I. - I've always loved its theme song as a kid but never really gave the show a chance. Until now. And I'm really enjoying it. Love all the discussions here so I decided to add my 2 cents on this episode.

First of all I have to disagree with this being a better episode than the season opener "Billy Joe Bob". In fact I have to be honest that I was downright bored with this one. The goat/kudu buck was the only bright spot in this episode. :lol: It's just that story-wise not much happened. It had a great premise - sunken treasure - but that went nowhere. I still don't understand fully what happened. So Ina Balin's professor character killed the girl's father because he found something at the bottom of the ocean that would disprove her theory? Ummm.. ok :roll: And why exactly is her theory so important? So if he's right then he's right. And she's wrong. So what? What's the big deal? Certainly no reason to kill someone. And as was already mentioned, her "underwater fight" with Magnum was ridiculous - a hardened Vietnam vet couldn't defeat some middle-aged classroom professor?

And I'm completely lost as to why that Keone character attacked Magnum, Rick, and the girl. Is it because he's simply a superstitious Hawaiian or because he's working for Ina Balin and she told him to stop them? That's never explained. Does he even have any connection to the death of the girl's father?

So while "Billy Joe Bob" is not exactly a classic it certainly was a better way to kick off the season than this meandering entry. BTW if I'm not mistaken "Billy Joe Bob" may have been the very first MAGNUM episode I ever saw... many, many years back. I still recall the "Pickles" line and remember Marla Pennington very well from her SMALL WONDER sitcom. I loved that show as a kid!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MaiTaiMan »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Hey guys! New poster here! Been a life-long HAWAII FIVE-0 fan so my love for the islands stems from that show. I've visited the islands twice and couldn't get over the excitement I felt during my stay there! Even peeked over the front gate of the "Masters Estate". :)

Anyway I decided to start watching MAGNUM, P.I. - I've always loved its theme song as a kid but never really gave the show a chance. Until now. And I'm really enjoying it. Love all the discussions here so I decided to add my 2 cents on this episode.

First of all I have to disagree with this being a better episode than the season opener "Billy Joe Bob". In fact I have to be honest that I was downright bored with this one. The goat/kudu buck was the only bright spot in this episode. :lol: It's just that story-wise not much happened. It had a great premise - sunken treasure - but that went nowhere. I still don't understand fully what happened. So Ina Balin's professor character killed the girl's father because he found something at the bottom of the ocean that would disprove her theory? Ummm.. ok :roll: And why exactly is her theory so important? So if he's right then he's right. And she's wrong. So what? What's the big deal? Certainly no reason to kill someone. And as was already mentioned, her "underwater fight" with Magnum was ridiculous - a hardened Vietnam vet couldn't defeat some middle-aged classroom professor?

And I'm completely lost as to why that Keone character attacked Magnum, Rick, and the girl. Is it because he's simply a superstitious Hawaiian or because he's working for Ina Balin and she told him to stop them? That's never explained. Does he even have any connection to the death of the girl's father?

So while "Billy Joe Bob" is not exactly a classic it certainly was a better way to kick off the season than this meandering entry. BTW if I'm not mistaken "Billy Joe Bob" may have been the very first MAGNUM episode I ever saw... many, many years back. I still recall the "Pickles" line and remember Marla Pennington very well from her SMALL WONDER sitcom. I loved that show as a kid!
There may have been some "loose" plot ideas for this one...but I still like it way better than "Billy Joe Bob"!! As for me, the name of that one says it all. :wink: But, I'm not one much for hick/cowboy/hillbilly type stuff...so that episode is obviously not going to be one I enjoy.

I love Hawaiian history and the islands too...have been once to Oahu. I really want to go again, and this time go to Kauai too! Because of my love for the islands and Hawaiian history/legends, I really liked this episode--even if somewhat "silly" or unbelievable at times.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: There may have been some "loose" plot ideas for this one...but I still like it way better than "Billy Joe Bob"!! As for me, the name of that one says it all. :wink: But, I'm not one much for hick/cowboy/hillbilly type stuff...so that episode is obviously not going to be one I enjoy.

I love Hawaiian history and the islands too...have been once to Oahu. I really want to go again, and this time go to Kauai too! Because of my love for the islands and Hawaiian history/legends, I really liked this episode--even if somewhat "silly" or unbelievable at times.
So what's your theory on the Keone character who attacks Magnum, Rick, and the girl? Why do you think he tried to kill them? Do you think it was because he was working for the professor (Ina Balin) or he was just doing it because of his deep Hawaiian beliefs?

And yes I'd love to visit Kauai one day - I hear it's beautiful there! Also would like to visit Maui. I've been to the Big Island but wasn't as impressed with it as with Oahu. I think Oahu is much more beautiful and I love Honolulu. Although I did enjoy the Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote: There may have been some "loose" plot ideas for this one...but I still like it way better than "Billy Joe Bob"!! As for me, the name of that one says it all. :wink: But, I'm not one much for hick/cowboy/hillbilly type stuff...so that episode is obviously not going to be one I enjoy.

So what's your theory on the Keone character who attacks Magnum, Rick, and the girl? Why do you think he tried to kill them? Do you think it was because he was working for the professor (Ina Balin) or he was just doing it because of his deep Hawaiian beliefs?

And yes I'd love to visit Kauai one day - I hear it's beautiful there! Also would like to visit Maui. I've been to the Big Island but wasn't as impressed with it as with Oahu. I think Oahu is much more beautiful and I love Honolulu. Although I did enjoy the Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.
Not totally sure why he attacked them...I think it's probably more because he was working for that professor and wanted her theory proved right...when he knew there was a good possibility it was wrong. But, it could be intertwined with Hawaiian beliefs and wanting people to leave the theory/idea alone.

I've only been to Oahu...I loved the whole island, and Honolulu! I plan to try and go to Kauai within the next year or so...but we'll see. :)

Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Not totally sure why he attacked them...I think it's probably more because he was working for that professor and wanted her theory proved right...when he knew there was a good possibility it was wrong.
I think if he was such a deeply dedicated Hawaiian then the Ina Balin professor character should have been the last person whose theory he would want to support. After all, she was on a crusade to prove that the Spanish were the earliest influence on Hawaiian culture. Not Hawaiians.

So technically he should have tried to kill her. Not Magnum - since he was helping Marion prove her father's theory about Hawaiians being the earliest influence. That's why all the Hawaiians were happy at the end with Magnum & Marion's discovery about her father's theory.

I guess maybe Keone was just a superstitious nut who wanted to keep everyone away from the "sacred" channel at all costs.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Frodoleader »

Since I just watched this episode again recently, I went to the Hawaiian Peaches section on the front page. I read the IMDB link for Wendy Girard (with a couple of fairly recents pics of her - she looks great!!!). I was interested and a bit shocked to read that she was cast in the Fabulaous Baker Boys, with Jeff & Beau Bridges, but left the cast after being the victim of a violent crime! Wow, I wonder what happened to her?
Still like this episode, kudu buck and all.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I quite like this episode too and gave it a rating of 9. I yet have to award the highest score to an episode.

I liked the goat scenes with Higgins ("I give up the tennis courts" - "But you don't have the tennis courts") and the diving scenes were pretty neat, with all the exotic fish floating about at the beginning of the scene.
I envy everyone who can go diving, my ears won't allow me to go underwater. So I enjoy watching someone else dive, even if it's just for a film or TV-series.

I also liked the inclusion of Hawaiian people and Hawaiian culture, this is what makes it special to me.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Seaver41 »

caught this one last night..........light and easy viewing. I would submit that is a large part of why we like Magnum. It doesn't have to be heavy all the time and this was a fun episode.......even with the uneven writing. I enjoyed this one because I really don't remember it, so this was cool to see it like 'new'.

I usually pop one in before going to sleep.....and once again my wife complains that I've sucked her into another episode.....lol. I'm going to have her watch Memories are Forever with me this week..........this will explain my undying devotion to the show.

Faceman
Lieutenant

#45 Post by Faceman »

Just bought seasons 1 and 2 a few weeks ago and this is my most recent episode, have to say i loved it! From what i have seen so far (not as much as you guys), i thought Wendy Girard (stunning) was great as Marion, and as others have said the best female on it as a partner to magnum.

I have watched so many in recent weeks, am i right in saying TC doesn't appear in this one? Overall, it was a good show, nice bit of banter between rick and magnum, and of course the goat was a laugh!