6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 99

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Sam »

That building was built prior to the start of MPI.

In the first picture.the structure you see is from this angle.

As far as the windows in the fourth picture you answer is seen in the third pic.

It is possible that whoever built the estate,did own the Shriner property at one time but I serious doubt that it has anything to do with tidal pool walls.That wall also extends past 3 other properties.plus the tidal pool was built shortly after the dinosaurs disappeared. :)

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#47 Post by Olivier »

Pahonu wrote:What do we know about the age of the buildings on the Shriner's property?
The Shriners club opened in 1931 (http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/k ... chpark.php) and the estate was built in the early 1930s.
You're right, it's possible that there was a link between them.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Sam »

I'm wondering if what we are seeing is a waterline to the shower.Also the wall does appear to be wider at the lower third but is it possible that it is more of a base.I honestly don't believe the wall was originally the small.What do you think.

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#49 Post by Olivier »

Sam wrote:I honestly don't believe the wall was originally the small.What do you think.
I' m not sure too but the lower wall seems to be different :

Stones of the higher wall are more black and smooth. Joints are different.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sam »

Hi Olivier,

I noticed that too.In a earlier post you said the Shriners Beach Club was built in 1931.We know the estate was built in 1933,that is why I questioned the size of the wall.It doesn't make sense that they built a short wall first and then added on later but I don't know..

My thoughts are the bottom 3rd of the wall is wider to act as a base for stability..Just a guess.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Sam »

Hi Olivier,

Maybe this helps...According to the city and county of Honolulu,the first building erected on site was in1947.Hence the need for a taller wall.

http://dppweb.honolulu.gov/DPPWeb/defau ... tId=255513

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#52 Post by Olivier »

Yes, maybe the low wall was enough before 1947. After this date, with the first building on site, they could not stay like this.

Shriners Club is owned by free-masons ( http://alohashriners.com/ ). Anyone on the forum is mason to ask a "hawaiian brother" for informations :lol: ?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#53 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote:
My thoughts are the bottom 3rd of the wall is wider to act as a base for stability..Just a guess.
Hey Sam,

I don't know the answer, but it is definitely different. I just question why one would build a lower section of a wall of a different material and technique all at the same time. :? It seems to indicate a lower wall that was added on to later. Here's a thought. If the Shriners owned their property in 1931, two years before the estate was constructed in 1933, the wall could have existed in its lower form to divide the properties. Then, with the construction of the estate, it was added onto. Maybe the Shriners once owned the property the estate is on. Perhaps someone owned most of the property in the area, and then it was subdivided. That's not unusual at all. We know Eve Anderson's grandparents built the estate, but who did they buy the property from and when? How far back do the property records go?

On a side note. I know the tidepool walls are ancient, but weren't they rebuilt in there current form more recently?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Sam »

What about this,the lower section appears to be constructed from a more rock like material (heavier) while the upper looks like lava rock(lighter)all built at the same time.. again just a guess.

I don't think we'll ever know until someone gets on the ground..

Last year I volunteered to go investigate but was met with less than glowing support.

I'll extend the offer again.I'd be willing to spend...say..Jan-Mar thoroughly scouring any and all locations that interests the board.

To do this right,I'd say we are looking at about 20 grand and that's bare bones.So if we can get 20 people to donate 800 each for a total 16,000 I'd be willing to pay the additional,lions share of the total..You guys can figure it anyway you'd like..Can I see a show of hands from those that would like to contribute?

As far as I know the wall is Kapu to any changes.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#55 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Sam,

I get your humor :) but I still stand by the idea that it makes no sense to build a wall all at once out of two different materials and different techniques. I believe this wall was added on to. I also am intrigued by the coment Rick Romer made on his blog that he was told that Eve Anderson's grandparents used to arrive by boat at the property (perhaps explaining the dock shown in old Hawaii Five-0 pics) because the Kalanianaole Highway didn't exist in the 30's. It was probably accessable only by poor secondary roads.

This reminds me of Santa Catalina Island off the coast here in Southern California. The west end town at Isthmus Cove called Two Harbors is still arrived at primarily by boat because the road to the biggest town on the island, Avalon, is a twisty, one-hour drive by four-wheel drive. Of course this doesn't fully explain why they built a four-car garage on the estate, other than they could drive around town in Waimanolo. Information about the development of this part of the island and who owned what is critical to understanding the estate's history.

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#56 Post by Olivier »

This is an old postcard from "USI Club" in Waimanalo (1940) :

The wall is low...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#57 Post by J.J. Walters »

Someone needs to see Ms. Jones at the "Hall of Records"! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This one was okay...not bad, but not great either. Every show in the 70's and 80's seemed to have to do one or 2 episodes about Russian atheletes or ballet dancers. In turn there's always KGB and bad spies.

These episodes are usually predictable, and this one was no different. It was a decent episode, and I rated it as such. But, I don't know...it just doesn't captivate me much. :? Not one of the worst ones, but not one of the best ones either.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#59 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaiTaiMan wrote:This one was okay...not bad, but not great either. Every show in the 70's and 80's seemed to have to do one or 2 episodes about Russian atheletes or ballet dancers. In turn there's always KGB and bad spies.

These episodes are usually predictable, and this one was no different. It was a decent episode, and I rated it as such. But, I don't know...it just doesn't captivate me much. :? Not one of the worst ones, but not one of the best ones either.
It's a funny thing. I think the defecting athlete theme is what I like about this episode. Sure, it was done a million times, but the nostalgic value today is priceless. Hmm I wonder if it's unhealthy to look back fondly on the Cold War days???
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#60 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Hmm I wonder if it's unhealthy to look back fondly on the Cold War days???
Not at all. USA v USSR, 1980 Winter Olympics, Lake Placid, New York. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!