6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 99

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#31 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

I liked this episode for a variety of reasons. One, because of the historical context of the Cold War that many younger people dont't even understand. Two, because the plot involved all the characters. Third, because of the very quick, but classic scene at the bar when Magnum and buddies look over at Higgins and the KGB agent and Magnum says "poor guy." And, all in the same movement, Magnum sticks TC with the bar tab, even though he didn't have a drink. Again, just another smooth touch by the writers to emphasize the personal dynamics of the cast. On the negative side, none of the CCCP athletes looked the least bit like an athlete. Also, the the pilot had long hair getting out of the plane. And, now that I think of it, all the planes during the defection, including the American planes, looked like the same model with the "Russian" plane having it's lights turned off. Looked like F4 Phantoms, but I could be wrong.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Coops »

Nope, you are correct, they were all F4's.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by lutherhgillis »

Milo, you got it! I like all the things you mentioned. I know none of the late-comer MPI fans under the age of 38 or so will understand the CCCP emblazoned on the track uniforms of the Ruskies. Nor will they remember how contentious the cold war was. This Uri guy would have been relentlessly pursued until he could be returned to Moscow, 'debriefed', and unceremoniously killed.

I love how Higgins bores the fat KGB man to death with his incessant praddling on...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#34 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:Milo, you got it! I like all the things you mentioned. I know none of the late-comer MPI fans under the age of 38 or so will understand the CCCP emblazoned on the track uniforms of the Ruskies. Nor will they remember how contentious the cold war was. This Uri guy would have been relentlessly pursued until he could be returned to Moscow, 'debriefed', and unceremoniously killed.

I love how Higgins bores the fat KGB man to death with his incessant praddling on...
Lets not generalize here, luther, I'm 30 and I get it just fine.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by lutherhgillis »

Let's not get our knickers in a twist, 30. You may get it but not because you remember seeing it in real life. Wow, everyone wants to find a problem in every comment...Why is there a comment gestapo that feels they must improve or correct other people's OPINIONS? :(

Just like watching Stalag 17 with someone that lived through the WW2 era, we would not get the same level of appreciation as they. That's all, whipper-snapper! :wink:

Lighten up, Doc. Life is short...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

lutherhgillis wrote:Let's not get our knickers in a twist, 30. You may get it but not because you remember seeing it in real life. Wow, everyone wants to find a problem in every comment...Why is there a comment gestapo that feels they must improve or correct other people's OPINIONS? :(

Just like watching Stalag 17 with someone that lived through the WW2 era, we would not get the same level of appreciation as they. That's all, whipper-snapper! :wink:

Lighten up, Doc. Life is short...
He does have a point though Luther - Doc's just trying to ensure we younger folks are taken seriously 'round here. I mean, I'm under 38, but I still remember those drills we did in school in the event that the Ruskies dropped a nuke on us. Looking back, I can't see what protection a desk over my head would offer against a 50 megaton bomb. :)

Perhaps I remember the CCCP letters most from the amazing hockey rivalry we (Canada) had with them before the Berlin Wall fell... I mean what happened to the Russians in Vancouver? Capitalism has certainly taken a toll on the ole Red Army!

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Danno »

Yuri annoys me... and I find it hard to get into this episode because I find him to be such a knob!

'Impotence!'
:roll:

The saving grace for me (and often is in the lesser episodes) is the Magnum/Higgins banter.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MACattack »

Russians have no business in Hawaii. Probably too hot for them, anyway.
I just don't give a damn!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Danno »

MACattack wrote:Russians have no business in Hawaii.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#40 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

The highlights of tis episode are the final scene and the Higgins' endless conversation.
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Carmen
MPI

#41 Post by Carmen »

highlight of this episode is Tom Selleck shirtless :P
oops, did I write that loud?
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MACattack »

But, Aussies do! G'day mate! 8)
I just don't give a damn!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#43 Post by Pahonu »

Did anyone notice at the 8:30 mark you can see the neighboring property from the guest house lanai. This was almost always hidden in other episodes by hanging blinds, but there seems to be a structure far in the distance. I was a little confused by this because in the very next season's Foiled Again the guest house was seen from a building very close to the property line wall. It seems the building near the guest house has vanished, and a distant building is visible! I know this had been discussed in other forum threads, but is anything known for certain?

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by Olivier »

Pahonu wrote:Did anyone notice at the 8:30 mark you can see the neighboring property from the guest house lanai. This was almost always hidden in other episodes by hanging blinds, but there seems to be a structure far in the distance.
I was a little confused by this because in the very next season's Foiled Again the guest house was seen from a building very close to the property line wall. It seems the building near the guest house has vanished, and a distant building is visible! I know this had been discussed in other forum threads, but is anything known for certain?
In "Foiled again" I don't think the building was so close to the property line wall :

(Picture from http://magnum-mania.com/images/shriners ... b_full.jpg)

The Shriners Beach Club is used for events like weddings, birthday parties and other gatherings.
The next MPI fans meeting will be there :arrow: .

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#45 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks for the pictures Olivier!

Your right, the structure in Foiled Again appears closer to the estate wall than it really is. It also appears to have glass windows and doors enclosing it which aren't in the fourth picture. Maybe they're removable for inclement weather? This threw me off, as I pictured it as an actual building rather than an enclosed porch of sorts.

What's really interesting to me in the fourth picture is the distinct mortar line about a third of the way up the wall. This indicates the wall was originally much lower and added on to later. Why would a perimeter wall be built so low unless it wasn't the property line? This might be a clue that the neighboring Shriner's property was once part of the estate.

What do we know about the age of the buildings on the Shriner's property? Older pictures from Hawaii Five-0 showed a two-story building behind the boathouse and a dock. I seem to recall others have speculated the property was once originally part of the estate back in the 30's because the tide pool walls extend across the beach of both properties. Anyone have any thoughts?