N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#21 Post by N1095A »

The pool is about 100 yds from the stables. :lol:
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

Decent episode but not great. The US/USSR thing was hot in the early 80s. I am not surprised this type of subject was addressed on MPI.

I know the fighter jet was not really a Mig 30. But Realistically, where would they have gotten a real Mig? I don;t consider this a flub.

One thing that does raise a question for me is this. I'm not sure of the fuel capacity but I do not believe a Mig could go from Russian territory to Hawaii much less from Moscow without refueling. My friend flew fighter jets for the Air Force and he would do training runs from Texas to South Carolina and would refuel in the air several times during the mission.

Another thing. If a Russian jet went off course and tried to rabbit, the Ruskies would send other jets to shoot him down. They would never have allowed someone to defect in a Mig 30... :oops:

Oh well, it was still fun to leave pie in the Russian's faces ...
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

joinerkev
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Favourite Scene

#23 Post by joinerkev »

Hi guys
I posted a video on Youtube with one of my favourite scenes from this episode, please take a look. I wont even hazard a guess as to how long it took me but I am pleased with the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nrGTKaZUbs

Kev
York
UK
Last edited by joinerkev on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#24 Post by SelleckLover »

luthergillis wrote:
'm not sure of the fuel capacity but I do not believe a Mig could go from Russian territory to Hawaii much less from Moscow without refueling.
My husband (whose job it was to spot aircraft when he was in the Navy during the Viet Nam war) says that a MIG does have the capability to go from Russian territory to Hawaii. Moscow wouldn't allow the MIG to be filled with enough fuel to get there. They were only given enough to get them where Moscow wanted them to go, and back.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#25 Post by Agatha »

Yuri must have made a clandestine trip to the gas station!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#26 Post by SelleckLover »

Agatha wrote:
Yuri must have made a clandestine trip to the gas station!!
LMAO! :D

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#27 Post by rubber chicken »

About the horseshoes court... I'm surprised no one remembered this, but TC and Rick are seen using the court at the end of Mr. White Death (3.9). I just happened to come across it. After concluding negotiations with Higgins about what Magnum gets for not calling him Punky, Magnum joins TC and Rick at the horseshoes court, bringing Rick a beer and TC some drink in a glass with a straw, possibly apple juice. :)

Magnum's deal with Higgins netted him "The tennis courts for two weeks, the hot tub for three, and the wide-screen TV for the weekend." Given that he then strolls over the horseshoes court, I'm guessing that activity isn't in high demand. ;)

Last edited by rubber chicken on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#28 Post by Higgy_baby »

I'll go against the flow and state that I always liked this episode. Maybe it's because when I first saw it in reruns, the cold war was still on. I like the action oriented, cold war feel. Yes the plot is weak and it is dated, but it's like the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox. You can't watch that movie today and take it seriously.

The episode still has great Magnum-Higgins interplay, first with a serious overtone over the Austerlitz wargaming table, and later over Magnum's football setup. On the latter, Higgins should have been suspect of Magnum losing to an equal attacking force on level ground. Higgy being a self proclaimed 'master of strategy and tactics' would have known it unlikely for such an attack to be made w/o at least 3:1 numbers, let alone defenders losing, should such a foolish attempt be made. Yet Higgo was still duped and we see TS grinning like the cheshire cat. Great ending.

Now for the bad. I'm trying not to go into an all out rant over the extras used for military personnel on this series. Keeping to this episode, look at the group that jumps out of a vehicle to intercept the MIG. Three of them look roughly like soldiers, but the camera zooms in on a squinty four eyed, curly haired little geek as Yuri climbs down. This guy doesn't look like he ever handled a firearm in his life as he keeps changing his grip from in front of the mag to the forestock. And Yuri himself comes out looking like his hair is ready for a glam rock concert.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm no watch expert, but this doesn't look like the Chronosport....

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

joinerkev
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Youtube video updated.

#30 Post by joinerkev »

Hi guys
I posted a video on Youtube with one of my favourite scenes from this episode, please take a look. I wont even hazard a guess as to how long it took me but I am pleased with the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nrGTKaZUbs

Kev
York
UK

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#31 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

I liked this episode for a variety of reasons. One, because of the historical context of the Cold War that many younger people dont't even understand. Two, because the plot involved all the characters. Third, because of the very quick, but classic scene at the bar when Magnum and buddies look over at Higgins and the KGB agent and Magnum says "poor guy." And, all in the same movement, Magnum sticks TC with the bar tab, even though he didn't have a drink. Again, just another smooth touch by the writers to emphasize the personal dynamics of the cast. On the negative side, none of the CCCP athletes looked the least bit like an athlete. Also, the the pilot had long hair getting out of the plane. And, now that I think of it, all the planes during the defection, including the American planes, looked like the same model with the "Russian" plane having it's lights turned off. Looked like F4 Phantoms, but I could be wrong.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Coops »

Nope, you are correct, they were all F4's.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by lutherhgillis »

Milo, you got it! I like all the things you mentioned. I know none of the late-comer MPI fans under the age of 38 or so will understand the CCCP emblazoned on the track uniforms of the Ruskies. Nor will they remember how contentious the cold war was. This Uri guy would have been relentlessly pursued until he could be returned to Moscow, 'debriefed', and unceremoniously killed.

I love how Higgins bores the fat KGB man to death with his incessant praddling on...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#34 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:Milo, you got it! I like all the things you mentioned. I know none of the late-comer MPI fans under the age of 38 or so will understand the CCCP emblazoned on the track uniforms of the Ruskies. Nor will they remember how contentious the cold war was. This Uri guy would have been relentlessly pursued until he could be returned to Moscow, 'debriefed', and unceremoniously killed.

I love how Higgins bores the fat KGB man to death with his incessant praddling on...
Lets not generalize here, luther, I'm 30 and I get it just fine.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by lutherhgillis »

Let's not get our knickers in a twist, 30. You may get it but not because you remember seeing it in real life. Wow, everyone wants to find a problem in every comment...Why is there a comment gestapo that feels they must improve or correct other people's OPINIONS? :(

Just like watching Stalag 17 with someone that lived through the WW2 era, we would not get the same level of appreciation as they. That's all, whipper-snapper! :wink:

Lighten up, Doc. Life is short...