6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 126

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#41 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:You've got a mean memory for literature James!
Thanks Styles! I try. Getting lost in a good book (or short story) is my very favorite past time! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, this is strange. Someone just informed me that the whole scene with Magnum talking about "Little Eva" to Higgins is missing in the recently released "Best Of" DVD set! Instead it just fades to him taking photos.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Wow, this is strange. Someone just informed me that the whole scene with Magnum talking about "Little Eva" to Higgins is missing in the recently released "Best Of" DVD set! Instead it just fades to him taking photos.
Huh...did they resort to syndicated versions for the "Best Of" sets? :shock: Although I won't be buying the "Best Of" sets, as I already have the complete series DVD sets of "Magnum", "Miami Vice", "Knight Rider", etc..., that is really stupid and terrible if Universal chose to try and "cheat" us with old edited reruns. :? If that's what they did, that's an insult to our intelligence. :roll:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Wow, this is strange. Someone just informed me that the whole scene with Magnum talking about "Little Eva" to Higgins is missing in the recently released "Best Of" DVD set! Instead it just fades to him taking photos.
Huh...did they resort to syndicated versions for the "Best Of" sets? :shock: Although I won't be buying the "Best Of" sets, as I already have the complete series DVD sets of "Magnum", "Miami Vice", "Knight Rider", etc..., that is really stupid and terrible if Universal chose to try and "cheat" us with old edited reruns. :? If that's what they did, that's an insult to our intelligence. :roll:
...and our wallets!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Coops »

I've heard quite a few of you complain about Marta/Michelle not being attractive, which I find surprising as I find her astonishingly beautiful in an early '80s Robert Nagel kind of way. In other words, as a youth during that time I thought she was a total fox! Do you think the negativity towards her is because of Michelle's character or because you think she's really not that attractive?

Styles Bitchley

#46 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Coops wrote:I've heard quite a few of you complain about Marta/Michelle not being attractive, which I find surprising as I find her astonishingly beautiful in an early '80s Robert Nagel kind of way. In other words, as a youth during that time I thought she was a total fox! Do you think the negativity towards her is because of Michelle's character or because you think she's really not that attractive?
For the record, I think she's rather beautiful. She's not really my type, but I think it's hard to say she isn't beautiful.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#47 Post by N1095A »

Just my $0.02 worth here, but there were scenes where she was quite attractive, like the wedding scenes. However the big hair was a real turn-off for me then, and now. As for her character? Nothing beautiful there, quite the opposite. She was a user. She used TM whenever she needed him, and spit him out like an old piece of gum when she was through.

The "Thomas and Michelle" Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeMx6LQxPk
"But Higgins, I can explain."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:
...and our wallets!
Exactly, Styles! :?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Coops »

N1095A wrote:Just my $0.02 worth here, but there were scenes where she was quite attractive, like the wedding scenes. However the big hair was a real turn-off for me then, and now. As for her character? Nothing beautiful there, quite the opposite. She was a user. She used TM whenever she needed him, and spit him out like an old piece of gum when she was through.

Oh come on, "big hair" was the thing in the 80s! I still really dig it but then again I was a teen when MPI was in it's prime. But that's just me. I never really cared for "Michelle" for what she did to TM but I've always loved Marta's exotic looks.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Coops wrote:
N1095A wrote:Just my $0.02 worth here, but there were scenes where she was quite attractive, like the wedding scenes. However the big hair was a real turn-off for me then, and now. As for her character? Nothing beautiful there, quite the opposite. She was a user. She used TM whenever she needed him, and spit him out like an old piece of gum when she was through.

Oh come on, "big hair" was the thing in the 80s! I still really dig it but then again I was a teen when MPI was in it's prime. But that's just me. I never really cared for "Michelle" for what she did to TM but I've always loved Marta's exotic looks.
I never cared for the character of Michelle, or the actress Marta Dubois...just not someone I find attractive, big hair or not. I also did not like the character as she always had to leave Magnum at the end of each episode, and appeared to use him whenever she needed. :?

Styles Bitchley

#51 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaiTaiMan wrote:I never cared for the character of Michelle, or the actress Marta Dubois...just not someone I find attractive, big hair or not. I also did not like the character as she always had to leave Magnum at the end of each episode, and appeared to use him whenever she needed. :?
Based on this and your Luther comments, I'm guessing that honour is a bit thing for you in whether you can like a character.

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:I never cared for the character of Michelle, or the actress Marta Dubois...just not someone I find attractive, big hair or not. I also did not like the character as she always had to leave Magnum at the end of each episode, and appeared to use him whenever she needed. :?
Based on this and your Luther comments, I'm guessing that honour is a bit thing for you in whether you can like a character.
Honor is something I like in a character...and I never viewed Luther as having much--even towards Blanche. :? Michelle probably had more honor than Gillis for sure...but even she seemed to only pop up when it suited her and "dangle" herself in front of Magnum to get what she wanted. I know some of it was supposedly for protection for her and Lilly-Catherine...but sometimes even that seemed to go a little over the top. :wink:

Styles Bitchley

#53 Post by Styles Bitchley »

just noticed my typo. Of course I meant "big."

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Styles Bitchley wrote:just noticed my typo. Of course I meant "big."
No prob! :)

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Wow! What can I say? This is a Perfect episode as far as MPI goes. I've only seen episodes (not all of them) from the first 3 seasons and so far this one is the second best. Best of course is "Did You See the Sunrise?". And then the third best is the pilot - "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii". And you'll notice 2 things that these 3 episodes have in common - they're all 2-part/2-hour episodes and they all have a darker feel with an emotional hook for Magnum. As well as Vietnam flashbacks. And that's what really draws me in.

While some of the light-hearted fare can be fun it's the more personal stories that really grab my attention. It's funny to find yourself yawning through "The Woman on the Beach" and "From Moscow to Maui" and then to be completely spell-bound with an episode like this. I guess that's part of the appeal of MPI - you never know what's coming. In the lighter episodes I tend to look towards the Magnum vs. Higgins scenes since the main story typically doesn't engage me all that much. But with episodes like these I'm so engrossed in the story that I completely forget about Higgins. Or the "lads". They're almost superfluous.

Anyway, fantastic episode and I personally can't imagine that season 2 has a finer episode to offer me. I guess I shall see.

Oh... and yes I found Miss DuBois quite attractive. Obviously not on the same level as Rebecca Holden (but then who is? :wink: ) but attractive nevertheless. But more than her looks it was her performance and her chemistry with Selleck that sold me on their romance. And speaking of Selleck, kudos to him for a true tour-de-force performance in this one. He hit it out of the park here!!!