6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 126

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sorry I missed that earlier Coops! You've convinced me. I've removed the flub. Yea! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Coops »

No sweat, J.J.! I know you're a busy man.

Cutter
Lieutenant

#23 Post by Cutter »

I have to mention another interesting point...in the begining after the dream...Magnum is shown swimming and eventually runs into the study...if you watch the crossfade from waking up from the dream to the swim you will see TM standing in the water before he he starts to swim. He of course then pretends it was a long swim.

The funny thing with pointing out the flubs is that it is like having a wife or girlfriend you are in love with....you see the flaws...they are interesting...but don't matter at all in enjoying the experience. :D

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MACattack »

Michelle is a very attractive woman, but her morals are very confusing. If she really wanted to be with Magnum, why didn't she find a way? Instead she ran into the arms of other men. At least, Magnum got his daughter Lily in the end.
I just don't give a damn!

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by No need to know! »

What can i say? One of my favourite episodes. Not the best, but almost. I think it´s just great how MPI managed to mix episodes like this one with Drama, with more lighter Comedian episodes without getting cheesy.
Onion´s extra?

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Coops »

MACattack wrote:Michelle is a very attractive woman, but her morals are very confusing. If she really wanted to be with Magnum, why didn't she find a way? Instead she ran into the arms of other men. At least, Magnum got his daughter Lily in the end.
You're actually questioning the actions of a WOMAN? LOL! Surely you jest!

:D

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#27 Post by robspace54 »

Flub#1 in the chopper. When TM tells the team that he is going to marry Michelle he's riding in the front left seat. Sitting there should be the co-pilot (in choppers the commander sits on the right, unlike planes). In a combat situation there would be pilot and co-pilot. And I can't say that TM is helping to fly as he is holding his M-16, with the barrel vertical.

Flub #2. Rick is leaning out the right door of the chopper and they start to take fire. Rick then is shooting an M-16 left handed (left index finger on trigger, right hand on barrel). Then they cut to obvious archive footage from inside the bird out that same door, with a person and M-16 firing away. This shooter is firing right handed.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by No need to know! »

robspace54 wrote:Flub#1 in the chopper. When TM tells the team that he is going to marry Michelle he's riding in the front left seat. Sitting there should be the co-pilot (in choppers the commander sits on the right, unlike planes). In a combat situation there would be pilot and co-pilot. And I can't say that TM is helping to fly as he is holding his M-16, with the barrel vertical.

Flub #2. Rick is leaning out the right door of the chopper and they start to take fire. Rick then is shooting an M-16 left handed (left index finger on trigger, right hand on barrel). Then they cut to obvious archive footage from inside the bird out that same door, with a person and M-16 firing away. This shooter is firing right handed.

Rob
Maybe the co-pilot just got sick right before they took of.
And Rick is a hell of a gunman. Maybe he likes to switch just for the fun of it. Yep there you have it :wink:
Onion´s extra?

cpagorilla
Ensign

#29 Post by cpagorilla »

Another flub is after Magnum is shot and is lying in the street, he looks up to shoot Colonel Ki, Michelle's shoes are different than when she ran up, and then she changed back after Magnums shoots.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by zebra3 »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: -----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* The main episode guide page for this episode states that the names appear bottom-centre, not the usual bottom left. On my TV version, they appear bottom-left. However, Part II lists the names bottom-centre.

* Maybe it’s just me, but when Magnum runs in to the study after Zeus and Apollo chase him after his swim, his trunks don’t seem to be wet!

* As mentioned in my review, Higgins is seen to be writing his memoirs for the first of a number of times in the series

* In the flashback to Magnum and Michelle’s after-wedding drink with T.C. and Rick, Rick’s toast line “…And this one is gonna kill ya” just before the explosion is clearly rerecorded in post production – his lips don’t even sync up properly.

* When Higgins delivers the photographs to Magnum in the guesthouse, he says “I don’t know if you’re pulling my leg, as you yanks put it”. There is no need for him to add “as you yanks put it”, as ‘pulling my leg’ is a very common expression here in the UK.

* Channel 5’s “bloody” edit count – only one in this episode – Higgins’ “How bloody curious” after he notices the French Cross hanging around Michelle’s neck in the photo. 5 left this one in, but on the previous shown episode, ‘Tropical Madness’*, they made some very big edits around “bloody”. (* - they were showing the episodes in order, but broadcast ‘Tropical Madness’ before this story so that the two-parter would not be left open while the series took a brief break).

* As mentioned above, my birthday is the same as the one given for Magnum in this episode – albeit 22 years later.

* More abridged commercial breaks on the DVD version – Part I only has one break unabridged (but I lost count as to which one).

* Two-part version:
When Channel 5 broadcast this story in 2002, they showed the two-part version. For those with the DVD version wondering when the end of Part I falls, it is in the church, after Michelle talks to Buck in the confession box, and Colonel Ki gets up to follow her out.

Both parts I & II had the opening credits from a later season! This seems to be where the episodes were later split into two parts and the (then current) opening titles were added, replacing the originals; I have examples of ‘The Rockford Files’ and ‘Starsky & Hutch’ that also have this done.

There is about four minutes missing from Part I, though I am unsure if this is where the episode is split into two halves (many feature-length episodes of the era were shortened when adapted to two-parters) or Channel 5 made this edit themselves. After Magnum wakes up at the beginning from his dream about Michelle, skipped is him muttering “Michelle”, him going for a swim, the dogs chasing him, and the scene in the study, where Higgins is writing his memoirs and Magnum asks him for the camera. The story picks up again as Magnum is taking photos of the car salesman. As I say, I’m not sure if this was a ‘proper’ edit, or one done by Channel 5 (who very occasionally edited for time).
I'm curious, I have all the seasons of starsky and hutch. Which did this occur in.

As for the episode, I liked it. Thought it would be more action punctuated by romance, but it seems that it's mostly just intrigue. I suppose the Vietnamese element would have meant more at the time, though still today many can understand the idea of wanting ones dead returned home.

As a flub no one else noticed, and my personal first found:

As Magnum speaks with Michelle halfway through the episode, we get a nice close up of her sitting in the wicker chair in his room. The very same chair he fired two warning shots at the Soviet man who sat there in "From Moscow to Maui." However, there are no bullet holes! They seem to have disappeared.

Also, at around 1:27 in, we see Magnum has a tiny decal on the Ferrari's window, near the top. One must wonder what it is...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

In the beginning of the episode, Magnum runs into Higgins' study while being chased by Zeus & Apollo. When he reaches Higgins he says he's "getting a little tired of playing Little Eva on the ice floe." This is a reference to Uncle Tom's Cabin, but wasn't it Eliza who was jumping across the ice floes, not Littla Eva? It's been a long time since I've read Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is one of the most memorable...as it first introduces us to Michelle--Magnum's former wife, who was thought dead but then turns up alive in Hawaii.

Very intricate and well thought out plot, and everyone gave awesome acting performances! This is where we also unfortunately get acquainted with the "evil" :twisted: Col. Buck Greene. :?

This one keeps you cativated till the very end, and definitely was a "perfect" one for a 2hour episode. However, it also is somewhat plagued by sadness, tragedy, and despair. :cry: But, sometimes that is life. I'm just glad that not all "Magnum" episodes were this sad. :wink: I rated this, and part 2 here, as "Excellent".
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Seaver41 »

this 2 hour episode is to me, the backbone of the series. The essence of who he is comes out in this one and sets the tone for the rest of the series. He cements the notion that he is a much deeper character than a playboy former Naval officer. Michelle being introduced shows us the side of Magnum that being with his friends does not. It also shows us there is probably a lot more to this character that time will unfold (as it did).

I knew back then this was my favorite series...........amazing that 20+ years later it still resonates the same with me. What i like about the series is that it incorporates what is good about life amidst the pitfalls..........and staying true to those beacons of family, friends, love and hope will guide you.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Seaver41 wrote:this 2 hour episode is to me, the backbone of the series. The essence of who he is comes out in this one and sets the tone for the rest of the series. He cements the notion that he is a much deeper character than a playboy former Naval officer. Michelle being introduced shows us the side of Magnum that being with his friends does not. It also shows us there is probably a lot more to this character that time will unfold (as it did).

I knew back then this was my favorite series...........amazing that 20+ years later it still resonates the same with me. What i like about the series is that it incorporates what is good about life amidst the pitfalls..........and staying true to those beacons of family, friends, love and hope will guide you.
Perfectly put, Seaver41...could not have stated it better! These are the exact same reasons for me too, that "Magnum" was, and still is, one of my all-time favorite shows! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by AmandaByNight »

I've been rewatching Trapper John and Marta Dubois was in an episode as a parapsychologist or something of that nature. I saw her in the opening and laughed to myself. No matter what else she ever did or does as an actress, she will always be Michelle to me.

I always loved Michelle because she was such an enigma and I felt like Magnum really loved her. I'm so bad with episode titles (and I'm ashamed to admit that here), but the episode where you thnk she and Lily are killed is so strong and moving. Backtracking through Magnum and Michelle's history, I really feel like they did a lot with their relationship, even if she remained removed from him.