6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 126

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

In the beginning of the episode, Magnum runs into Higgins' study while being chased by Zeus & Apollo. When he reaches Higgins he says he's "getting a little tired of playing Little Eva on the ice floe." This is a reference to Uncle Tom's Cabin, but wasn't it Eliza who was jumping across the ice floes, not Littla Eva? It's been a long time since I've read Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is one of the most memorable...as it first introduces us to Michelle--Magnum's former wife, who was thought dead but then turns up alive in Hawaii.

Very intricate and well thought out plot, and everyone gave awesome acting performances! This is where we also unfortunately get acquainted with the "evil" :twisted: Col. Buck Greene. :?

This one keeps you cativated till the very end, and definitely was a "perfect" one for a 2hour episode. However, it also is somewhat plagued by sadness, tragedy, and despair. :cry: But, sometimes that is life. I'm just glad that not all "Magnum" episodes were this sad. :wink: I rated this, and part 2 here, as "Excellent".
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Seaver41 »

this 2 hour episode is to me, the backbone of the series. The essence of who he is comes out in this one and sets the tone for the rest of the series. He cements the notion that he is a much deeper character than a playboy former Naval officer. Michelle being introduced shows us the side of Magnum that being with his friends does not. It also shows us there is probably a lot more to this character that time will unfold (as it did).

I knew back then this was my favorite series...........amazing that 20+ years later it still resonates the same with me. What i like about the series is that it incorporates what is good about life amidst the pitfalls..........and staying true to those beacons of family, friends, love and hope will guide you.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Seaver41 wrote:this 2 hour episode is to me, the backbone of the series. The essence of who he is comes out in this one and sets the tone for the rest of the series. He cements the notion that he is a much deeper character than a playboy former Naval officer. Michelle being introduced shows us the side of Magnum that being with his friends does not. It also shows us there is probably a lot more to this character that time will unfold (as it did).

I knew back then this was my favorite series...........amazing that 20+ years later it still resonates the same with me. What i like about the series is that it incorporates what is good about life amidst the pitfalls..........and staying true to those beacons of family, friends, love and hope will guide you.
Perfectly put, Seaver41...could not have stated it better! These are the exact same reasons for me too, that "Magnum" was, and still is, one of my all-time favorite shows! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by AmandaByNight »

I've been rewatching Trapper John and Marta Dubois was in an episode as a parapsychologist or something of that nature. I saw her in the opening and laughed to myself. No matter what else she ever did or does as an actress, she will always be Michelle to me.

I always loved Michelle because she was such an enigma and I felt like Magnum really loved her. I'm so bad with episode titles (and I'm ashamed to admit that here), but the episode where you thnk she and Lily are killed is so strong and moving. Backtracking through Magnum and Michelle's history, I really feel like they did a lot with their relationship, even if she remained removed from him.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MaiTaiMan »

AmandaByNight wrote:I've been rewatching Trapper John and Marta Dubois was in an episode as a parapsychologist or something of that nature. I saw her in the opening and laughed to myself. No matter what else she ever did or does as an actress, she will always be Michelle to me.

I always loved Michelle because she was such an enigma and I felt like Magnum really loved her. I'm so bad with episode titles (and I'm ashamed to admit that here), but the episode where you thnk she and Lily are killed is so strong and moving. Backtracking through Magnum and Michelle's history, I really feel like they did a lot with their relationship, even if she remained removed from him.
I agree with some of this--but there's just something about Michelle that sort of...I don't know..."off sets" me? :? First, I never really found Marta Dubois that attractive. The character also just always seemed more like a "ghost", so-to-speak, that would just occasionally appear once in a while. :shock: I would rather have had Magnum end up with Karen Teal (from "Dream a Little Dream") than Michelle...as Karen always seemed more "real" and truly in love with Magnum.

The episodes dealing with Michelle and Lily were moving though, and made for interesting / captivating plotlines. :)

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by AmandaByNight »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I've been rewatching Trapper John and Marta Dubois was in an episode as a parapsychologist or something of that nature. I saw her in the opening and laughed to myself. No matter what else she ever did or does as an actress, she will always be Michelle to me.

I agree with some of this--but there's just something about Michelle that sort of...I don't know..."off sets" me? :? First, I never really found Marta Dubois that attractive. The character also just always seemed more like a "ghost", so-to-speak, that would just occasionally appear once in a while. :shock: I would rather have had Magnum end up with Karen Teal (from "Dream a Little Dream") than Michelle...as Karen always seemed more "real" and truly in love with Magnum.

The episodes dealing with Michelle and Lily were moving though, and made for interesting / captivating plotlines. :)
That's so funny (funny ha-ha), because I'm not a big fan of Cindy Pickett who played Karen Teal. Funny because I feel about Cindy the way you feel about Marta (mostly)! Karen was not so much a ghost, but I didn't get the appeal of her she felt sort of bland to me. Maybe it's the hair! But I do agree that she comes across a more real character. Maybe that's why I like Michelle so much, because she's this unattainable object. There's just something about her that fascinates me, whether it be the character or the actress, I cannot say.

I really do need to give Dream a Little Dream another chance. I feel like I might be unfair to Cindy, because often when I develop a dislike for an actress I stick with it instead of looking at each project as something individual.

And I definitely agree about the Michelle/Lily episodes, although that might have more to do with Lily! She was adorable!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#38 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:In the beginning of the episode, Magnum runs into Higgins' study while being chased by Zeus & Apollo. When he reaches Higgins he says he's "getting a little tired of playing Little Eva on the ice floe." This is a reference to Uncle Tom's Cabin, but wasn't it Eliza who was jumping across the ice floes, not Littla Eva? It's been a long time since I've read Uncle Tom's Cabin.
You've got a mean memory for literature James!

A thousand lives seemed to be concentrated in that one moment to Eliza. Her room opened by a side door to the river. She caught her child, and sprang down the steps towards it. The trader caught a full glimpse of her just as she was disappearing down the bank; and throwing himself from his horse, and calling loudly on Sam and Andy, he was after her like a hound after a deer. In that dizzy moment her feet to her scarce seemed to touch the ground, and a moment brought her to the water's edge. Right on behind they came; and, nerved with strength such as God gives only to the desperate, with one wild cry and flying leap, she vaulted sheer over the turbid current by the shore, on to the raft of ice beyond. It was a desperate leap—impossible to anything but madness and despair; and Haley, Sam, and Andy, instinctively cried out, and lifted up their hands, as she did it.

The huge green fragment of ice on which she alighted pitched and creaked as her weight came on it, but she staid there not a moment. With wild cries and desperate energy she leaped to another and still another cake; stumbling—leaping—slipping—springing upwards again! Her shoes are gone—her stockings cut from her feet—while blood marked every step; but she saw nothing, felt nothing, till dimly, as in a dream, she saw the Ohio side, and a man helping her up the bank.

"Yer a brave gal, now, whoever ye ar!" said the man, with an oath...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Seaver41 »

AmandaByNight wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:

That's so funny (funny ha-ha), because I'm not a big fan of Cindy Pickett who played Karen Teal. Funny because I feel about Cindy the way you feel about Marta (mostly)! Karen was not so much a ghost, but I didn't get the appeal of her she felt sort of bland to me. Maybe it's the hair! But I do agree that she comes across a more real character. Maybe that's why I like Michelle so much, because she's this unattainable object. There's just something about her that fascinates me, whether it be the character or the actress, I cannot say.

I really do need to give Dream a Little Dream another chance. I feel like I might be unfair to Cindy, because often when I develop a dislike for an actress I stick with it instead of looking at each project as something individual.

And I definitely agree about the Michelle/Lily episodes, although that might have more to do with Lily! She was adorable!
tough for me to get weak in the knees over Cindy Pickett.........she was after all Ferris Bueller's mom in the movie. She also didn't age well. I think what makes Marta Dubois work for the show is she looks exotic......and not some carbon copy blonde bikini bimbo.......not that I mind a blonde bikini bimbo :D Marta fails for me in everything else she did because she created such a lofty, mystical character in Michelle. She wasn't a 10, but she was that package of attractive, exotic, and wordly-the piece that i think really sells. She always comes across as seemongly knowing so much more about the world and life decisions.......which were a burden to her.......and Magnum was that innocent knight in shining armor to take her away from it........but as she found out, that never would happen.

....and so what you see unfold over the course of the series is the transformation of Magnum being her protector when they married to Michelle protecting him by staying away.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Seaver41 wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:

tough for me to get weak in the knees over Cindy Pickett.........she was after all Ferris Bueller's mom in the movie. She also didn't age well. I think what makes Marta Dubois work for the show is she looks exotic......and not some carbon copy blonde bikini bimbo.......not that I mind a blonde bikini bimbo :D Marta fails for me in everything else she did because she created such a lofty, mystical character in Michelle. She wasn't a 10, but she was that package of attractive, exotic, and wordly-the piece that i think really sells. She always comes across as seemongly knowing so much more about the world and life decisions.......which were a burden to her.......and Magnum was that innocent knight in shining armor to take her away from it........but as she found out, that never would happen.

....and so what you see unfold over the course of the series is the transformation of Magnum being her protector when they married to Michelle protecting him by staying away.
LOL! :lol: I forgot that Cindy was Ferris Bueller's mom! Perhaps she didn't age well...I haven't really seen her in anything for a long time...Marta Dubois for that matter either. How has she aged?

The character of Karen Teal (Cindy) in "Dream a Little Dream" was not a blonde bimbo...she was intelligent and determined. But, she just didn't make very good decisions with who she financed her surfing career with when she was younger...and it cost her when she was older.

I think, besides the fact that I really didn't find Marta that attractive (and I don't really go for the bimbo type either, bonde or brunette, as that sort of turns me off), another reason I did not really care for Michelle (Marta) much was because most of the episodes she was in were sad, heart-wrenching, and depressing. :( I don't usually care for those types of episodes much...I still want the happy ending. :wink:

I realize the "Michelle episodes" were more serious and very well done...plots, acting, characterization, etc... I just didn't care for Marta to play 'Michelle'--but since she did play the part I still think she and Magnum should've ended up together! :?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#41 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:You've got a mean memory for literature James!
Thanks Styles! I try. Getting lost in a good book (or short story) is my very favorite past time! ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, this is strange. Someone just informed me that the whole scene with Magnum talking about "Little Eva" to Higgins is missing in the recently released "Best Of" DVD set! Instead it just fades to him taking photos.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Wow, this is strange. Someone just informed me that the whole scene with Magnum talking about "Little Eva" to Higgins is missing in the recently released "Best Of" DVD set! Instead it just fades to him taking photos.
Huh...did they resort to syndicated versions for the "Best Of" sets? :shock: Although I won't be buying the "Best Of" sets, as I already have the complete series DVD sets of "Magnum", "Miami Vice", "Knight Rider", etc..., that is really stupid and terrible if Universal chose to try and "cheat" us with old edited reruns. :? If that's what they did, that's an insult to our intelligence. :roll:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Wow, this is strange. Someone just informed me that the whole scene with Magnum talking about "Little Eva" to Higgins is missing in the recently released "Best Of" DVD set! Instead it just fades to him taking photos.
Huh...did they resort to syndicated versions for the "Best Of" sets? :shock: Although I won't be buying the "Best Of" sets, as I already have the complete series DVD sets of "Magnum", "Miami Vice", "Knight Rider", etc..., that is really stupid and terrible if Universal chose to try and "cheat" us with old edited reruns. :? If that's what they did, that's an insult to our intelligence. :roll:
...and our wallets!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Coops »

I've heard quite a few of you complain about Marta/Michelle not being attractive, which I find surprising as I find her astonishingly beautiful in an early '80s Robert Nagel kind of way. In other words, as a youth during that time I thought she was a total fox! Do you think the negativity towards her is because of Michelle's character or because you think she's really not that attractive?