No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 126

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Memories Are Forever (1) (2.5)

#71 Post by KingKC »

I just saw Marta Dubois as Sgt. Roberta Hansen in a rerun of one of the McBride movies. I was pretty surprised as she looked nothing like she did as Michelle in the MPI episodes. I thought she looked part Asian in MPI and had no hint of Asian in McBride. Makeup and wardrobe can sure create a completely different person. I actually think she was even better looking as the detective but that is purely a personal opinion. Maybe me being older has something to do with that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#72 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rewatching this episode in HD I caught something new. When Higgins enlarges the picture of Michelle and confirms she's wearing the cross, a tear rolls out of Thomas' eye.

I never noticed this before.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#73 Post by K Hale »

N1095A wrote:Just my $0.02 worth here, but there were scenes where she was quite attractive, like the wedding scenes. However the big hair was a real turn-off for me then, and now. As for her character? Nothing beautiful there, quite the opposite. She was a user. She used TM whenever she needed him, and spit him out like an old piece of gum when she was through.

The "Thomas and Michelle" Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeMx6LQxPk
Glad to see someone say this. I was never a fan of Michelle.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by ENSHealy »

A few thoughts:

After Thomas throws the film in the ocean, what does he tell the client? Presumably he tells her he didn't find anything. But since that is a lie...does he take the fee, or does he just tell he's off the case and doesn't charge her anything? Curious what we all think TM would do. Or, as the t-shirt I recently acquired says...."What would Magnum do?"

The dialogue quotes in the episode guide refer to "MVA types." Pretty sure he actually said "NVA types" for North Vietnamese Army. I believe North Vietnamese regulars were referred to as NVA.

Flub: They open with a shot of a sunset, and Thomas talks about the beauty and affects of a Hawaiian sunset while he's taking photos of the cheating couple...meanwhile the whole scene is clearly shot in bright daylight. And how does that "flare" get on the team ring pendant (clearly glare from the sun) if the sun is setting?

New flub: when Higgins delivers the prints to Magnum, he quickly shuffles through them. Just before he gets to the one where the team ring pendant has the "flare" that he later asks Higgins to remove, there's a copy where the team ring pendant is not blurred out by a reflection, it's clear as day. There was no need for Higgins to redevelop the negative with the "flare."

Potential flub: I think there's a timeline issue with Thomas and Michelle being separated during the fall of Saigon. In an earlier episode, Jose Ferrer's character refers to Magnum as being Navy class of 67 and having served three tours in Vietnam. That part lines up, because tours in Vietnam were typically one year, and per Wikipedia, the last SEALs left Vietnam in 1971 as part of Nixon's Vietnamization strategy. So Thomas graduates in 67, goes through his SEAL training and does tours in 68-70 or 69-71 depending on how long the training was, leave between tours, etc. So what's he doing in Saigon in 1975? His three tours would have been long over.

Finally, I've always been bothered by how they just cast any old Asian to play the Vietnamese characters. Hue is played by a Korean and Colonel Ki by a Japanese. Was it really that hard to find Vietnamese actors in Hawaii in 1980? I'd be curious to know if they even tried. Probably not, as I recently watched High Road to China, which was filmed about the same time, and all the tribesmen from Waziristan fighting the British were played by white dudes in pancake makeup, most notably the overly-campy Brian Blessed.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#75 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Magnums Vietnam service particulars are somewhat convoluted but not really a flub. He was never said to be on a SEAL Team, only SEAL qualified. He was assigned to VMO-2 in Da Nang which apparently was a Fixed wing only after 1969. They split the squadron and were only flying OV-10 Broncos. But the squadron did have had Cobras and T.C. was said to have flown Cobras, so for the sake of the show we have to assume it's a different Universe than ours. I always took it as a multi-national US-Vietnamese-French joint task force that did recon and raid operations behind enemy lines.
That reminds me of the time....

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by ENSHealy »

I believe this episode is the first time we see Rick driving the silver Mercedes instead of the 280Z. It's seen again in Wave Goodbye, parked next to TC's van at the chopper pad.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

karolis
Admiral

Re:

#77 Post by karolis »

Cutter wrote:I have to mention another interesting point...in the begining after the dream...Magnum is shown swimming and eventually runs into the study...if you watch the crossfade from waking up from the dream to the swim you will see TM standing in the water before he he starts to swim. He of course then pretends it was a long swim.

The funny thing with pointing out the flubs is that it is like having a wife or girlfriend you are in love with....you see the flaws...they are interesting...but don't matter at all in enjoying the experience. :D
Here it is:

karolis
Admiral

#78 Post by karolis »

LION wrote:i wanted to see if anybody else noticed this.
when magnum opens the door to leave the guest house after two nights without sleep
right before the dogs greet him at the bottom of the steps.
if you look into the guest house you see it is a solid floor all the way to the wall, and they cut a wood piece to look like the step rails.
and it is set on top of a solid floor. not a flub, but something i noticed and wanted to share
I took a screenshot of it:

karolis
Admiral

#79 Post by karolis »

ConchRepublican wrote:Rewatching this episode in HD I caught something new. When Higgins enlarges the picture of Michelle and confirms she's wearing the cross, a tear rolls out of Thomas' eye.

I never noticed this before.
I have been rewatching this episode again, this time in HD, and i noticed this only today.
Here's the screenshots:
Image Image

karolis
Admiral

#80 Post by karolis »

ENSHealy wrote: New flub: when Higgins delivers the prints to Magnum, he quickly shuffles through them. Just before he gets to the one where the team ring pendant has the "flare" that he later asks Higgins to remove, there's a copy where the team ring pendant is not blurred out by a reflection, it's clear as day. There was no need for Higgins to redevelop the negative with the "flare."
I noticed it too, here's the screenshot:
The on on the left has team ring a little bit blurred but it still would be clearly identified.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#81 Post by ENSHealy »

zebra3 wrote:As Magnum speaks with Michelle halfway through the episode, we get a nice close up of her sitting in the wicker chair in his room. The very same chair he fired two warning shots at the Soviet man who sat there in "From Moscow to Maui." However, there are no bullet holes! They seem to have disappeared.
Of course we know IRL there are no actual bullet holes, but here are some screen caps showing they didn't bother to put any fake ones in the chair either. Although one could argue that TM was only trying to unnerve the KGB guy, so he just made sure to aim for the holes in the wicker. :P (Someone with more knowledge of military medals/ribbons will have to take a look and see if one of TM's is for pistol marksmanship, if such a thing exists. I believe it does for rifle).

Just for fun I've also included the first "Magnum muzzle flash"

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by ENSHealy »

Does anyone know if there is a particular name for the type of dress Michelle is wearing in TM's nightmare/flashback/premonition at the beginning of this episode?

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ENSHealy wrote:Does anyone know if there is a particular name for the type of dress Michelle is wearing in TM's nightmare/flashback/premonition at the beginning of this episode?

ENSHealy, I have no idea what it's called but Michelle looks positively ravishing in it! I'm in love!!

Don't tell me you're trying to get Mrs. ENSHealy to wear it for Halloween as well. :lol:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy, I have no idea what it's called but Michelle looks positively ravishing in it! I'm in love!!

Don't tell me you're trying to get Mrs. ENSHealy to wear it for Halloween as well. :lol:
You are wise, grasshopper....
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ENSHealy wrote:

You are wise, grasshopper....
I guessed correctly?? Alriiiiiiiiight!! :D