No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes

Total votes: 91

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#11 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:IH,

I'm confused. I thought the "team" was really a rather self-established team of TM, Rick, TC, and Dan Cook -- and maybe one or two others? I.e., how did the killer in "Death and Taxes" get a ring? Was that ever explained? I forget right now as I type this.

Was Nuzo a team member with a ring?

So I don't see how a Viet could have killed a "team member" who also had a ring. I thought only the team members were/are the ones we get to know in the series, and those are the ones who had a ring. So I don't know of another "unknown" one that a bad guy could have killed to keep the ring as a trophy from.

Of course, it might not have been "THE" ring, just looked like it, as you stated. Still . . . . why even allow a character to wear a ring so similar? I thought that it was pretty strictly regulated as to what jewelry actors can wear so nothing is obviously contradictory to the story line.

:?: :?: :?:

golf
There are at least seven team members that I can recall. In "Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii" (1) Magnum, (2) Philippe, (3) Dan Cook and the (4) RTO are in a fire fight with VC or NVA while waiting to be picked up by (5) Rick and (6) TC. That makes 6 members right there. Cookie was probably a team member. He was replaced by Rick and Rick became a team member, so I would think Rick's predecessor (Cookie) was also a team member. Cookie makes seven that we know about. There were probably others. I was under the impression that this was a joint American/French team, so there were probably additional French team members (other than Philippe) that we don't know about.

As I stated, I do not think the ring the Viet agent was wearing in the scene described by Doc was a team ring. However, if it was, I think a logical explanation would be that the agent/NVA took it as a trophy from one of Magnum's fallen team members (Cookie, etc.) during the war considering that the team members were special forces and conducted extemely hazardous missions. I'm sure their team would have lost its share of members during the war. Since the beginning of warfare, soldiers have taken personal items as trophies from their enemies. That is why I think the trophy explanation would be plausible.

As far as Nuzo is concerned, I don't think he was a team member because the real Nuzo died in captivity at the hands of Ivan and the imposter Nuzo took his place when Magnum and TC were being held by Ivan. My understanding is that Magnum and TC did not know Nuzo until they were POWs. In "Did You See The Sunrise," Magnum realizes that the Nuzo (James Whitmore Jr.) is an imposter planted by Ivan just like in his favorite movie, Stalag 17.

No, it was never revealed in "Death and Taxes" how the killer got a team ring. The killer seemed to be obsessed with Magnum, so I figured he took notice of the ring when he met Magnum and had a ring made. He also had an MIA bracelet with Kenneth Lancaster's name on it.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

IHIH,

You're forgetting about Pepe (died in Vietnam in the pilot movie before they left Philippe)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#13 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:IHIH,

You're forgetting about Pepe (died in Vietnam in the pilot movie before they left Philippe)
Thanks Doc. That makes eight team members. I also forgot about "Two Birds Of A Feather." In the beginning of that episode we see Magnum making his way through the jungle to the temple where his team is located. We see three new members. Two are wearing a red beret and one is wearing a black beret like Magnum. The guy wearing the black beret and the guy talking on the radio (sounds French) both are wearing team rings. I couldn't tell if the third guy sitting next to the wounded pilot had a team ring on. I assume he did. So, that's three more, which makes eleven team members we know of.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#14 Post by Tom_Magnum »

So, can someone tell me how many members are on the team with Magnum? Is it seven or eight? (This is one of the best double feature episodes).

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

Tom_Magnum wrote:So, can someone tell me how many members are on the team with Magnum? Is it seven or eight? (This is one of the best double feature episodes).
I count 11 team members when considering the team members that we see in the Pilot episode and Two Birds of a Feather.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#16 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Thanks IslandHopper, you're very helpful (why I love this website).

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Part two of this great episode. I almost forgot how good this one is.

[TV.com rating=10; Conclusion]

Thomas’ desperate search for Michelle seems set to hit a dead end after the Navy try to smoke-screen the situation by calling him up to testify in Washington, but eventually the truth about Michelle and their marriage emerges. The conclusion of a great story…

-----

The concluding part of ‘Memories Are Forever’ does not lose any of the impact of Part I.

Even in Part I, Michelle was memorising, but here we get to see more of her (no pun intended) and Marta DuBois shines in the role even more. I really bought into that she and Magnum had a history, and loved each other very much.

I also really like Lance LeGault as Col. Greene (we only heard his voice in Part I). LeGault is great at playing the guys you just love to hate, and is perfect here. Buck will make a number of more appearances later in the series.

When Magnum and Michelle are finally reunited, although a bit slushy, is performed very well. Sadly, you just know that things aren’t going to work out for this couple.

In the scene where Magnum lures Buck to the ship via Higgins, I did find Buck’s explanations as to who was who, and who the Tiger really was, a bit confusing (or maybe it was meant to be that way), and had to watch several times to really start to get it.

The climatic scene, with Magnum’s dream (or nightmare) about Michelle coming true, is very gripping, and arguably the best story climax of the second season, maybe even the series overall.

In many respects, this is the best of the show’s feature-length outings (although I do like the third season’s ‘Did You See the Sunrise?’, and have a place for season six’s ‘Déjà Vu’, as it was filmed here in the UK).

Overall, this is probably one of the series’ best offerings. As I said in the review from Part I, it is probably best viewed after seeing previous episodes, to fully appreciate the characters and what is happening. But if you want a good feature-length episode of the series, this is a good place to look.

-----

Other notes, bloopers, and misc.:

* In the scene in ‘Little Saigon’, while Magnum goes into the church, the scene where Buck and Mac talk to their contact outside the tattoo shop, is clearly re-dubbed in post production. Presumably there was too much background noise on the original take.

* Two-part version:
The two-part version may have a ‘previously’ re-cap, but as Channel 5 edited off all of the opening trailers, it is not present on my copy.

As with Part I, the opening credits are from a later season (see Part I for more details)

The episode opens with an added shot of Hawaii at night, with the title over the top. Things pick up with Mac asleep and Magnum stealing his Navy badge.
The in-episode credits are bottom-centre instead of the usual bottom-left.

Under the closing credits of Part I is a shot of Magnum and Michelle sheltering under the restaurant table during the bombing. Part II has the same as the feature-length version, of the couple kissing in the guest house. Both closing credits have the same spelling mistake of ‘Col. Ky’s driver’ (should be Ki).

Channel 5 here in the U.K. left in all “bloodies” on this occasion, but did edit out Magnum calling Buck a “bastard”.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

JHM01
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#18 Post by JHM01 »

I was wondering about the guy who tells Rick an T.C. to come up the stairs, he sounds American and his ring looks alot like the team ring

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

Re: Part 2 of this episode -- and another tangential subject

#19 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

golfmobile wrote:Okay, I have a question of logic here. After Thomas meets Michelle at the chapel, he apparently brings her back to the guest house at Robin's Nest, at which point we pick them up and he's in the shower. WHY???? He hadn't done anything sweat-worthy at the chapel, and I am guessing that he cleaned up before he went to MEET her. So why is he showering to get clean when they get to the guest house? Is this just an "excuse" (and a lousy one in my opinion) to show some beefcake here? or to get him wearing only a towel for the seduction scene? This makes no sense at all.
I thought it was because he hadn't been taking care of himself too well while looking for Michelle, i.e., not sleeping well and taking regular showers.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#20 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

Very good episode(s) in my opinion. I thought the plot was very well thought out and the angle with Catholicism was done very well (her being devout and placig the rules of the Church on marriage above her own desires).

One flub I noticed - when Magnum walks into the church at the end, his top button is buttoned (that is unusual for him, so I noticed it). The next shot of him has the top button unbuttoned... Also, kind of strange that Rick and TC didn't come back down the stairs after the shooting stopped.

burny
Commander

#21 Post by burny »

i found the church scene where the mag and michelle finally reunite to be
really odd. for 2 people who allegedly love and respect each other - each
party seems to be not very understanding of the others point of view. i find
the mag's dialogue to be really selfish and borderline "asshole-ish". i dunno -
that church scene right into the shower-guesthouse scene to be really
detrimental to what we know about TM's character. i personally felt his
behavior was really selfish and it really put me off this episode.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MaiTaiMan »

As I stated in Part 1 here, This is one of the most memorable episodes...as it first introduces us to Michelle--Magnum's former wife, who was thought dead but then turns up alive in Hawaii.

Very intricate and well thought out plot, and everyone gave awesome acting performances! This is where we also unfortunately get acquainted with the "evil" :twisted: Col. Buck Greene. :?

This one keeps you cativated till the very end, and definitely was a "perfect" one for a 2hour episode. However, it also is somewhat plagued by sadness, tragedy, and despair. :cry: But, sometimes that is life. I'm just glad that not all "Magnum" episodes were this sad. :wink: I rated this, and part 1 here, as "Excellent".
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

mandolabar
Captain

#23 Post by mandolabar »

I just recently watched through the whole series, in order, for the first time since, oh, EVER. And I remember this episode as the one where I first really noticed Magnum and Higgins dealing with each other, in any substantive way, on a level besides the surface bickery. I love the way that their deeper bond is tacitly acknowledged and accepted by both, without a second thought, when the need is there--and totally ignored when it's not. Tom Selleck and John Hillerman really nailed these characters and the deceptive simplicity of a complex relationship.
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

I had to rewatch this episode after reading some of the comments here. I loved it. It's been awhile so I got a little misty at the end. I love how they introduced the way the war haunts the characters. It's so well done. Especially that last shot of Tom in bed as they bring home the bodies of some soldiers.

I was reading about what everyone was saying about Michelle (this was posted in the Part 1 thread), and I have to say I like her a lot. I think someone mentioned she was like a ghost, and in that respect she's that kind of shadow that lingers over Tom who is still recovering from the war. I liked that she remains removed and somewhat unattainable because it adds a bit of a mythical quality to her. Since we get these stories via Magnum's narration it makes sense that he'd see her as ghost like, and I guess it's a bit ironic that his literal ghost follows the ghost of their love in Limbo.

Anyway, loved it. One of the things I love about Magnum is how I can go to it whenever I want and even after so many viewings I never feel let down.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Memories Are Forever (2) (2.6)

#25 Post by Little Garwood »

Anyone notice the pop-sounding music faintly playing in the scene when Magnum has the gun trained on Buck? Perhaps there was some kind of public event going on somewhere and it bled over into the scene? Or maybe it's just the voices in my head...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck