6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes

Total votes: 91

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#16 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Thanks IslandHopper, you're very helpful (why I love this website).

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Part two of this great episode. I almost forgot how good this one is.

[TV.com rating=10; Conclusion]

Thomas’ desperate search for Michelle seems set to hit a dead end after the Navy try to smoke-screen the situation by calling him up to testify in Washington, but eventually the truth about Michelle and their marriage emerges. The conclusion of a great story…

-----

The concluding part of ‘Memories Are Forever’ does not lose any of the impact of Part I.

Even in Part I, Michelle was memorising, but here we get to see more of her (no pun intended) and Marta DuBois shines in the role even more. I really bought into that she and Magnum had a history, and loved each other very much.

I also really like Lance LeGault as Col. Greene (we only heard his voice in Part I). LeGault is great at playing the guys you just love to hate, and is perfect here. Buck will make a number of more appearances later in the series.

When Magnum and Michelle are finally reunited, although a bit slushy, is performed very well. Sadly, you just know that things aren’t going to work out for this couple.

In the scene where Magnum lures Buck to the ship via Higgins, I did find Buck’s explanations as to who was who, and who the Tiger really was, a bit confusing (or maybe it was meant to be that way), and had to watch several times to really start to get it.

The climatic scene, with Magnum’s dream (or nightmare) about Michelle coming true, is very gripping, and arguably the best story climax of the second season, maybe even the series overall.

In many respects, this is the best of the show’s feature-length outings (although I do like the third season’s ‘Did You See the Sunrise?’, and have a place for season six’s ‘Déjà Vu’, as it was filmed here in the UK).

Overall, this is probably one of the series’ best offerings. As I said in the review from Part I, it is probably best viewed after seeing previous episodes, to fully appreciate the characters and what is happening. But if you want a good feature-length episode of the series, this is a good place to look.

-----

Other notes, bloopers, and misc.:

* In the scene in ‘Little Saigon’, while Magnum goes into the church, the scene where Buck and Mac talk to their contact outside the tattoo shop, is clearly re-dubbed in post production. Presumably there was too much background noise on the original take.

* Two-part version:
The two-part version may have a ‘previously’ re-cap, but as Channel 5 edited off all of the opening trailers, it is not present on my copy.

As with Part I, the opening credits are from a later season (see Part I for more details)

The episode opens with an added shot of Hawaii at night, with the title over the top. Things pick up with Mac asleep and Magnum stealing his Navy badge.
The in-episode credits are bottom-centre instead of the usual bottom-left.

Under the closing credits of Part I is a shot of Magnum and Michelle sheltering under the restaurant table during the bombing. Part II has the same as the feature-length version, of the couple kissing in the guest house. Both closing credits have the same spelling mistake of ‘Col. Ky’s driver’ (should be Ki).

Channel 5 here in the U.K. left in all “bloodies” on this occasion, but did edit out Magnum calling Buck a “bastard”.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

JHM01
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#18 Post by JHM01 »

I was wondering about the guy who tells Rick an T.C. to come up the stairs, he sounds American and his ring looks alot like the team ring

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

Re: Part 2 of this episode -- and another tangential subject

#19 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

golfmobile wrote:Okay, I have a question of logic here. After Thomas meets Michelle at the chapel, he apparently brings her back to the guest house at Robin's Nest, at which point we pick them up and he's in the shower. WHY???? He hadn't done anything sweat-worthy at the chapel, and I am guessing that he cleaned up before he went to MEET her. So why is he showering to get clean when they get to the guest house? Is this just an "excuse" (and a lousy one in my opinion) to show some beefcake here? or to get him wearing only a towel for the seduction scene? This makes no sense at all.
I thought it was because he hadn't been taking care of himself too well while looking for Michelle, i.e., not sleeping well and taking regular showers.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#20 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

Very good episode(s) in my opinion. I thought the plot was very well thought out and the angle with Catholicism was done very well (her being devout and placig the rules of the Church on marriage above her own desires).

One flub I noticed - when Magnum walks into the church at the end, his top button is buttoned (that is unusual for him, so I noticed it). The next shot of him has the top button unbuttoned... Also, kind of strange that Rick and TC didn't come back down the stairs after the shooting stopped.

burny
Commander

#21 Post by burny »

i found the church scene where the mag and michelle finally reunite to be
really odd. for 2 people who allegedly love and respect each other - each
party seems to be not very understanding of the others point of view. i find
the mag's dialogue to be really selfish and borderline "asshole-ish". i dunno -
that church scene right into the shower-guesthouse scene to be really
detrimental to what we know about TM's character. i personally felt his
behavior was really selfish and it really put me off this episode.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MaiTaiMan »

As I stated in Part 1 here, This is one of the most memorable episodes...as it first introduces us to Michelle--Magnum's former wife, who was thought dead but then turns up alive in Hawaii.

Very intricate and well thought out plot, and everyone gave awesome acting performances! This is where we also unfortunately get acquainted with the "evil" :twisted: Col. Buck Greene. :?

This one keeps you cativated till the very end, and definitely was a "perfect" one for a 2hour episode. However, it also is somewhat plagued by sadness, tragedy, and despair. :cry: But, sometimes that is life. I'm just glad that not all "Magnum" episodes were this sad. :wink: I rated this, and part 1 here, as "Excellent".
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

mandolabar
Captain

#23 Post by mandolabar »

I just recently watched through the whole series, in order, for the first time since, oh, EVER. And I remember this episode as the one where I first really noticed Magnum and Higgins dealing with each other, in any substantive way, on a level besides the surface bickery. I love the way that their deeper bond is tacitly acknowledged and accepted by both, without a second thought, when the need is there--and totally ignored when it's not. Tom Selleck and John Hillerman really nailed these characters and the deceptive simplicity of a complex relationship.
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

I had to rewatch this episode after reading some of the comments here. I loved it. It's been awhile so I got a little misty at the end. I love how they introduced the way the war haunts the characters. It's so well done. Especially that last shot of Tom in bed as they bring home the bodies of some soldiers.

I was reading about what everyone was saying about Michelle (this was posted in the Part 1 thread), and I have to say I like her a lot. I think someone mentioned she was like a ghost, and in that respect she's that kind of shadow that lingers over Tom who is still recovering from the war. I liked that she remains removed and somewhat unattainable because it adds a bit of a mythical quality to her. Since we get these stories via Magnum's narration it makes sense that he'd see her as ghost like, and I guess it's a bit ironic that his literal ghost follows the ghost of their love in Limbo.

Anyway, loved it. One of the things I love about Magnum is how I can go to it whenever I want and even after so many viewings I never feel let down.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Memories Are Forever (2) (2.6)

#25 Post by Little Garwood »

Anyone notice the pop-sounding music faintly playing in the scene when Magnum has the gun trained on Buck? Perhaps there was some kind of public event going on somewhere and it bled over into the scene? Or maybe it's just the voices in my head...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Part 2 of this episode -- and another tangential subject

#26 Post by Little Garwood »

golfmobile wrote:Okay, I have a question of logic here. After Thomas meets Michelle at the chapel, he apparently brings her back to the guest house at Robin's Nest, at which point we pick them up and he's in the shower. WHY???? He hadn't done anything sweat-worthy at the chapel, and I am guessing that he cleaned up before he went to MEET her. So why is he showering to get clean when they get to the guest house? Is this just an "excuse" (and a lousy one in my opinion) to show some beefcake here? or to get him wearing only a towel for the seduction scene? This makes no sense at all.
Keep in mind that they had just escaped the colonel's thugs and were shot at numerous times. Thomas had to do some fancy driving to get away. I'd think the adrenaline from that alone would make anyone break a sweat.

And of course the purity thing. lol

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted Memories are Forever a 10 (Perfect!)

Like someone mentioned over in the part one thread, this is the emotional backbone of the series. Not only does it show an important aspect of Thomas' past, it also shows the most important thing that happened to him during the time he served in Vietnam, which is meeting and marrying Michelle. MaF is also another of the episodes which has the principal characters working together to help one of their own.

The direction, music, script, and perhaps most importantly, the editing all contribute to make Memories are Forever the masterpiece I believe it to be. It's difficult to attain an epic sweep in even a two-hour TV episode, but the editing work moves everything along and I enjoy thinking back on this episode from the time Thomas snaps those photos of Michelle on the yacht to the haunting final scene of TM recuperating in the hospital. Absolutely brilliant storytelling.

There's also the great guest cast, all of whom are in top form. In my opinion none of these actors would ever do better work in subsequent appearances on MPI than their work in MaF. Marta DuBois, Lance LeGault, Jeff MacKay, Clyde Kusatsu, and Soon-Teck Oh are all superb here, with Kusatsu and Soon-Teck Oh in particular contributing outstanding performances.

I want to single out the terrific work by Paul Burke as Admiral Kitchner. He brings serious gravitas to the story. I love the scene where he orders the helicopter to buzz the Vietnamese in the guise of having to take a short cut to the meeting. His mischievous smile is the punctuation to his actions. I wish Burke had figured more in MPI (and as the same admiral).

Memories are Forever is a masterpiece and should be on every fan's top ten list, though why it didn't open season two is a mystery to me.

~Tom Selleck

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Magnum T. »

Michelle talks to Col. Green, she wants to meet Magnum.
The man reluctantly agrees to arrange the meeting.
Later he talks to Magnum, explaining that Michelle was already married to Hue when she met him. Hue was wrongly believed dead so she fell in love and married Magnum. When Hue returned, Michelle had to choose between love and loyalty. She was a devout Catholic, her marriage to Magnum was not valid to the eyes of the Church, so she decided to remain with Hue. Magnum was about to leave Vietnam and she knew he wouldn't have left without her so, with Greene's help, she made Magnum believe she was dead.
Finally Magnum meets Michelle in the church...

The two-parts episode "Memories Are Forever" is without a doubt not only one of the best in the entire series but one of the most important.
"Pivotal" is the best word to describe it, I think.
It is very well written, directed and played.
The plot introduces new elements in the Magnuverse, the most significant being, of course, Michelle.
The screenplay is full of witty lines and the actors give great performances.
There are notable scenes, like the one in the darkroom (and the reprise at Magnum's place) where we can see that despite all the bickerings, Higgins cares for Magnum.

Plus: Marta DuBois. A very special lady, gourgeous and elegant (the two things don't always go along), her light strabismus of Venus, far from diminishing her beauty, enhances it instead.
After the four main actors, she is probably the best choice in terms of casting of the entire series.
Totally believable as a woman capable of making TM falling in love for good, she portraits her character brilliantly: sweet (the smile she gives to the young clumsy Magnum look-alike officer) but even strong (when she talks to the "priest" in the church). Too bad she isn't in more episodes (though I understand why it is so).
Minus: None, as far as I'm concerned.
Best Line:
Higgins: You're upsetting our relationship. Being nice makes me... quite uncomfortable.
Magnum: Does that mean you don't want anything for me using the darkroom this morning?
Higgins: Not that uncomfortable.

Notes:
- team ring on right
- included in "The Best of Magnum P.I" 2-DVD set (along with the pilot, "Mac's Back" and "Black on White")
- as said, Marta DuBois plays Michelle for the first time. She will return in 3 other episodes.
- Lance LeGault had already played Agent Newton in "Missing in Action" (1.9). His recurring character USMC Col. "Buck" Greene is seen here for the first time and will return in other 9 episodes. Curiously, he plays a similar character in "The A-Team" TV series.
- Honolulu born Clyde Kusatsu (Colonel Ki) appears in a total of 8 episodes playing 4 different characters, the most memorable being (imho) Detective Katsumoto.

Rate: 9.5
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

karolis
Admiral

Re:

#29 Post by karolis »

Doc Ibold wrote:OK,

IH (if you have season 2 on DVD, please back me up on this).

I, being very bad at this sort of thing, believe I have found a flub!

When Rick and TC are being forced up the stairs of the tattoo parlor (non dream sequence before the Ki/Magnum showdown), the guy holding the gun on them is wearing a team ring!

Now, any other episode, I could excuse this as a continuity error, but they played a lot of this episode up of the significance of the team ring.
IslandHopper wrote:It's close Doc. The ring looks very similar to a team ring, but I don't think it is a team ring. The ring is the same shape, but the top of the ring doesn't appear to have the black on top like the team ring.

If this was in fact a team ring, I think it could be explained that the Viet agent wearing the ring was wearing it as a trophy of some kind. Maybe he killed a "team member" at some point and took it as a trophy. So IMHO, I would say it is not a flub either way you look at it. Sorry Doc.
I realise it has been proven that the ring on the man with the gun is not the team ring, but i wanted to put screenshot of it anyway. In case anyone needs to reference it.

karolis
Admiral

#30 Post by karolis »

Little Garwood wrote:I voted Memories are Forever a 10 (Perfect!)
The direction, music, script, and perhaps most importantly, the editing all contribute to make Memories are Forever the masterpiece I believe it to be. It's difficult to attain an epic sweep in even a two-hour TV episode, but the editing work moves everything along and I enjoy thinking back on this episode from the time Thomas snaps those photos of Michelle on the yacht to the haunting final scene of TM recuperating in the hospital. Absolutely brilliant storytelling.
I believe Magnum was at his guest house room