5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 129

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#41 Post by timm525 »

Two best scenes in my opinion.

1. Higgins clocking TM.

2. TM tossing the midget or a dwarf at the sumo guy.

burny
Commander

#42 Post by burny »

any ep that heavily features interaction between tm and the hig is bound to
be a classic. honestly, hillerman is 50% of why i love the show.
the hig-centric episodes are usually my faves. whoever brought hillerman into
the mix on the original casting was a GENIUS. everyone did a great job on
the show, but i feel hillerman was just on a different level, acting wise. you
can tell he is a REAL pro...a sort of "actor's actor".

...magnum in his underwear....

hig : "even for you, that's a trifle casual"

CLASSIC! :D

JT
Captain

#43 Post by JT »

Totally agree with you burny.
I thought Hillerman was an English actor, boy was I surprised I found out he was from Texas!
The dialog between Magnum and Higgins is always great to watch.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I always love watching this episode when going through the show! This is one you didn't expect...that Magnum and Higgins would actually get into it! This is no regular teasing or "jabbing" to be funny...they seriously almost duke it out! :o

Even though a lot of times I get irritated at Higgins' attitude towards Magnum...in this one I actually feel for Higgins and wish that somehow he could have gotten the girl at the end. This is very well done and an interesting one to watch! I thought everyone did an awesome acting job and the scenes were very tense...and they were supposed to be. :wink: Excellent! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

how would Higgins or the 'robbers' not heard the helicopter approaching?

...as for the clothes/windshield......my initial reaction was he didn't want the leather messed up as he was covered in lubricant/oil when he was out cold. At that point, why not use them to wipe the windshield?

...I especially laughed near the end when TC tracks down the dwarf and you knew who Rick had to get....and then to see TC laugh at Rick was good stuff.....a good followup to Memories are Forever when in the alley fight, the comment was made that Rick's guy was bigger than him as the reason he got away.

Buck
Captain

#46 Post by Buck »

This is a great episode with one exception. Why do people assume that Magnum is a better catch than Higgins?

Faceman
Lieutenant

#47 Post by Faceman »

Buck wrote:This is a great episode with one exception. Why do people assume that Magnum is a better catch than Higgins?
Well everyone has their own tastes i'm sure,but it's a fairly natural assumption given that magnum has a lot of lady attention and we never see higgins involved with anyone until this episode. Higgins did show himself to be a bit of a charmer though.

Enjoyed this episode, but really hated the forced kiss by magnum. I know he had great intentions all the way to help higgins, but it did come across sleazy, and higgins was right to deck him! Has to be the only time i didn't like a TM move though.

Anyway, this is where i am up to in watching the whole series, nearly halfway through series 2. When I seen Roy Dotrice (great actor, and alive and well at 88 ) in this one i instantly thought he played another character in series 1 ( just like lance le gault). Have tried looking him up and i know he was in series 5 ( one of the final episodes) of the A-Team, so maybe that's what i'm thinking of as I just finished it before Magnum PI. Can any of you magnum legends confirm this was his only appearance?
Last edited by Faceman on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#48 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, this was unfortunately his only appearance on Magnum.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Faceman
Lieutenant

#49 Post by Faceman »

Just watched deadly maneuvers ( the first knight rider episode after the pilot) and devon ericson who plays jennifer, is also the main actress used in it, she's much nicer character in knight rider!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sisophous »

This is one of my favorite episodes, much of it is hilarious and Higgins has an arrogance and swagger to him that really cracks me up. I am surprised it only ranked as #16 in the top 40 episodes.

The plot is very simple and it gets off to a great start with a snobby woman complaining to Higgins that Magnum is staring at her while at Rick's club. And what is wrong with Magnum's attire while on the beach? Higgins is out of touch with reality throughout this show.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"I thought Hillerman was an English actor, boy was I surprised I found out he was from Texas! "
The mark of a good actor.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Sisophous »

Braddah Kimo wrote:"I thought Hillerman was an English actor, boy was I surprised I found out he was from Texas! "
The mark of a good actor.
Yes, same here, I found out about a year ago that Higgie was from Texas. I think for an actor to really deliver a convincing performance they have to actually take on the personality and convince themselves they are a different person than who they are in real life. Hillerman felt comfortable in the role he played as of British heritage living in Hawaii.

There are a couple of episodes where Hillerman imitates a Texan and also tries to imitate Magnum and he was quite good. He also played the dual role of his Irish brother quite well too.]

snp389
Captain

#53 Post by snp389 »

First time we hear TSM mention "When I write my book on How to Be a World Class Private Investigator..."
One of the best things about this show is the continuity that was ALWAYS maintained.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Danno »

Nice one, snp389. I didn't know that.

I really enjoy this episode because it's so whacked.

The dwarf/sumo wrestler thing is like some sort of James Bond/Fellini pastiche. So weird.

Roy Dotrice's character is so absurdly camp bad-guy too.
I mean, he looks like a bad Hugh Hefner on his evil valour couch :

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#55 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:Roy Dotrice's character is so absurdly camp bad-guy too.
I mean, he looks like a bad Hugh Hefner on his evil valour couch :
You crack me up Dan. I get a kick out of this episode.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.