1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 129

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tropical Madness (2.7)

#61 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Ms Masters wrote:In Tropical Madness, TC and Rick help Magnum ambush the art thief, the Sumo Wrestler and the dwarf/midget---in the fray, the sumo wrestler grabs Rick and TC grabs the dwarf, the camera pans on TC holding the kicking midget well off the ground, and in the background we hear Rick scream, " Hey, get this guy off of me!!"---TC laughs, and I do too!! What comedic irony if I may Higgnisly say!!!
:lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by KingKC »

For everyone's high marks for this show I can only vaguely remember it. Even after reading the episode synopsis and forum comments I have no idea what the lady was trying to get out of Higgins or why she was conning him. As I said I am relying on memories that are mostly 30+ years old so I guess there are gaps.

KingKC

Turkey
Admiral

#63 Post by Turkey »

Superb episode I reckon.

Noticed John's slight accent-slip around the part where he hits Magnum but overall, so much to like here. The 'ravishing scene' of course, throwing the dwarf and some great 'rules' for the How to be a World Class PI book :)
Make it two weeks.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by KingKC »

KingKC wrote:For everyone's high marks for this show I can only vaguely remember it. Even after reading the episode synopsis and forum comments I have no idea what the lady was trying to get out of Higgins or why she was conning him. As I said I am relying on memories that are mostly 30+ years old so I guess there are gaps.

KingKC
Well I finally got to see a rerun of this episode and the plot and ending still seemed a little weak to me. There were though iconic scenes such as the Sumo wrestler and the dwarf beating up TM, Higgins hitting TM, Higgins practicing his suave remarks, and the last unseen scene where you know Rick is losing his battle with the Sumo wrestler. I still cannot give it very high marks.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've always been bothered by the girl's fake British accent. You can tell she's an American trying to sound British. It's strange how most British actors can do convincing American accents, but American actors nearly always fail to do a convincing British accent. (except John Hillerman, of course!)

There are great scenes in this episode, but of the "Higgins in Love" episodes, I much prefer Letter to a Duchess.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#66 Post by marlboro »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: It's strange how most British actors can do convincing American accents, but American actors nearly always fail to do a convincing British accent.

I've often wondered wondered about this. My guess is that, since the Hollywood film industry is so big that British actors have to depend a lot more time working on American accents than Americans do on doing British accents.

On a related note, I've found that British actors are much much better at doing southern accents than non southern actors from the US.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by K Hale »

marlboro wrote:On a related note, I've found that British actors are much much better at doing southern accents than non southern actors from the US.
Linguists have determined that the original southern American accent was in fact a 16th-17th century British accent. Modern southern and modern British share a common ancestor not that far back so they are pretty closely related.

This is one of my fav episodes. "A little champagne?" :lol: That Jenny Chapman was pretty creepy in my opinion, as well as incredibly gullible. This elaborate globe-trotting charade to ruin someone and she didn't even bother to try and check out if the alleged story was even true? What the heck? Much of what she said to him was absolutely gag worthy ("The nearest, dearest thing to a hero... put your arm around me, I think I might cry"!!) and unfortunately he fell for it. But he got her back at the end. Bloody marvelous indeed!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:For everyone's high marks for this show I can only vaguely remember it. Even after reading the episode synopsis and forum comments I have no idea what the lady was trying to get out of Higgins or why she was conning him. As I said I am relying on memories that are mostly 30+ years old so I guess there are gaps.

KingKC
The bad guy told her a fake story about something Higgins had done to her parents, so she could get into Robin's Nest and open the place up for an art theft. She didn't realize she too had been conned until the theft was taking place.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by KingKC »

K Hale wrote:

KingKC
The bad guy told her a fake story about something Higgins had done to her parents, so she could get into Robin's Nest and open the place up for an art theft. She didn't realize she too had been conned until the theft was taking place.
Thanx...but I found that out from a rerun and made a later post that I still did not care much for the ending or the episode in general.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#70 Post by K Hale »

Faceman wrote:
Buck wrote:This is a great episode with one exception. Why do people assume that Magnum is a better catch than Higgins?
Well everyone has their own tastes i'm sure,but it's a fairly natural assumption given that magnum has a lot of lady attention and we never see higgins involved with anyone until this episode. Higgins did show himself to be a bit of a charmer though.
It's not that natural of an assumption when you consider the big picture. Higgins' life situation has a LOT going for it that Magnum's does not. TM is a great guy and if you're a young woman who likes to party, I guess he would be your thing, but to be honest I am surprised Higgins was not being pursued by what's known as "ladies of a certain age," other than Agatha. A kind (in his way), witty, and polite gentleman with a cushy job and great place to live, steady income, into the arts, well connected socially, great friends, no significant emotional baggage, no ex-wife or potentially hostile stepchildren... well, I could say more but I won't [ahem] go on.
Enjoyed this episode, but really hated the forced kiss by magnum. I know he had great intentions all the way to help higgins, but it did come across sleazy, and higgins was right to deck him! Has to be the only time i didn't like a TM move though.
I didn't understand why he did that at all. What was the point?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#71 Post by K Hale »

Sisophous wrote:This is one of my favorite episodes, much of it is hilarious and Higgins has an arrogance and swagger to him that really cracks me up. I am surprised it only ranked as #16 in the top 40 episodes.

The plot is very simple and it gets off to a great start with a snobby woman complaining to Higgins that Magnum is staring at her while at Rick's club. And what is wrong with Magnum's attire while on the beach? Higgins is out of touch with reality throughout this show.
There's nothing wrong with his attire, she just picked someone out at random to complain about so that she could get Higgins' attention and it happened to be Magnum.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#72 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I came here for the Sumo Wrestler and Dwarf but stayed because of Higgins saying "You Look Ravishing My Dear" haha then the look on TCs face had me dying. Actually didn't find this episode half bad even with the fake British accent and transparent story line. One thing I did start to notice from this one is that Magnum had a tendency to borderline assault female characters by grabbing them and kissing them, probably the only character trait of his that was questionable but I guess the 80s were a different time.
Last edited by ☨magnum.t on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by K Hale »

Also. The guy who played the "midget or a dwarf" appeared in the background near the vending machines in the hospital waiting room in "Underworld," the one about TC in the coma. Just watched that last night and was surprised to see him.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by K Hale »

☨magnum.t wrote:I came her for the Sumo Wrestler and Dwarf but stayed because of Higgins saying "You Look Ravishing My Dear" haha then the look on TCs face had me dying. Actually didn't find this episode half bad even with the fake British accent and transparent story line. One thing I did start to notice from this one is that Magnum had a tendency to borderline assault female characters by grabbing them and kissing them, probably the only character trait of his that was questionable but I guess the 80s were a different time.
Oh, he didn't typically do that, it's not his style, which is why this was so odd. Though he was a well-meaning boor in the scene where he tries to "apologize" to Jenny for staring at her. Protip, if you are making a woman uncomfortable by looking at her, don't go pull out a chair and strike up a convo with her, lol. And then get huffy when she tells you in no uncertain terms to go away. Yeah sure, this particular woman was secretly a creep, but in general... :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#75 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I remember he did it to J. Digger and the Ballerina in "The Sixth Position" although the later could be argued it was mutual lol
That reminds me of the time....