6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 129

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"I thought Hillerman was an English actor, boy was I surprised I found out he was from Texas! "
The mark of a good actor.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Sisophous »

Braddah Kimo wrote:"I thought Hillerman was an English actor, boy was I surprised I found out he was from Texas! "
The mark of a good actor.
Yes, same here, I found out about a year ago that Higgie was from Texas. I think for an actor to really deliver a convincing performance they have to actually take on the personality and convince themselves they are a different person than who they are in real life. Hillerman felt comfortable in the role he played as of British heritage living in Hawaii.

There are a couple of episodes where Hillerman imitates a Texan and also tries to imitate Magnum and he was quite good. He also played the dual role of his Irish brother quite well too.]

snp389
Captain

#53 Post by snp389 »

First time we hear TSM mention "When I write my book on How to Be a World Class Private Investigator..."
One of the best things about this show is the continuity that was ALWAYS maintained.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Danno »

Nice one, snp389. I didn't know that.

I really enjoy this episode because it's so whacked.

The dwarf/sumo wrestler thing is like some sort of James Bond/Fellini pastiche. So weird.

Roy Dotrice's character is so absurdly camp bad-guy too.
I mean, he looks like a bad Hugh Hefner on his evil valour couch :

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#55 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Danno wrote:Roy Dotrice's character is so absurdly camp bad-guy too.
I mean, he looks like a bad Hugh Hefner on his evil valour couch :
You crack me up Dan. I get a kick out of this episode.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

EZiller
Captain

Re: Tropical Madness (2.7)

#56 Post by EZiller »

"MAGNUM-YOUR CONDUCT IS ABOMINABLE!"

Very entertaining episode. Seeing Higgins, who is always the most rational and objective person, fall head over heels for a woman who is using him, is priceless. Most of us have had similar experiences in our romantic history but for Hig to act like a jealous, lovesick teenager is a hoot. The plot of placing Jennifer as a ruse to steal RM's artwork is a bit contrived but it's merely a device to have the love triangle with Jennifer, Higgins and TSM. 9.5

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#57 Post by Milton Collins »

Matt J wrote:For some reason....and I don't know why I always seem to watch this episode when I can't decide on the one I want to watch.

I agree! This is a very fun episode with several notable quotes. The interchange between Magnum and Higgins where he whispers and then yells "A midget or a dwarf." and then threatens to run higgins down is absolutely hilarious!! I love the usage of that giant red temple also. That is such a cool place and I always enjoy seeing it used in different episodes. That initial showdown with the Sumo and the knife wielding dwarf is outstanding! Would anyone like to take wagers on a one on one match between the dwarf enforcer and Waldo Norris (the karate expert staff wielding dwarf from season fours "Smaller than Life.")? I think that would be quite an entertaining battle!

Ms Masters
Ensign

#58 Post by Ms Masters »

In Tropical Madness, TC and Rick help Magnum ambush the art thief, the Sumo Wrestler and the dwarf/midget---in the fray, the sumo wrestler grabs Rick and TC grabs the dwarf, the camera pans on TC holding the kicking midget well off the ground, and in the background we hear Rick scream, " Hey, get this guy off of me!!"---TC laughs, and I do too!! What comedic irony if I may Higgnisly say!!!

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#59 Post by magnumette »

Classic light hearted Magnum- a great contrast to the previous Memories are forever. Although the midget and the sumo wrestler and my dear you look ravishing are two of my favorite scenes - I gave a 9 -
wasn't perfect because of TM
didn't do it for me as far as TM's behavior and character development. He has been kind and never shown attitude toward blind ( don say goodbye) and not really that attractive ( beauty knows no pain) and yet here he is doggedly pursuing a woman who is clearly not interested. The forced kiss was a turn off for me. I know he was frustrated even a bit crazy (another great scene- "I am not inmy underwear), but it was out of character up to this point. Like others said he came off arrogant and pushy.

But despite this , I remember the episodes hysterical scenes with Sumo and dwarf/midget enforcers. When I went to Hawaii, loving Magnum it was a must :) . I was on a tour and saw the Anderson Estate the Ala MoanaHarbor and the Valley of the temples. Although the DVD's were not out and Magnum had stopped playing on air I stood there in the temples and laughed.

I was going on memory of about 15 years at the time but I laughed . Of course I blame tropical madness......... oh and another Casablanca nod at the end

aw shucks should have given it a 10 hha

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm sure I voted Tropical Madness an 8.5 (Very Good)

It's impossible for me not to like an episode where there's a Sumo and "midget or a dwarf" as hit men. Those two truly make this episode, along with Magnum's humiliation at having to describe them to Higgins, so memorable. It's this kind of unforced quirkiness that makes MPI so good. Other shows would look so self conscious and embarrassed if their characters were in anything remotely resembling what Thomas went through at the gas station and Valley of the Temples.

It's also impossible not to offer Higgins a chair to stand on when he goes to punch Thomas! Higgins had some serious reaching to do! JH also provides some of his brilliant comedic timing with his "Charles Boyer, the torch has been passed" and "My dear! Ha! ha! You look ravishing!" Classic.

The gorgeous Devon Ericson does quite well in her role as the oh-so prim-and-proper Englishwoman. She's lovely to behold. She played a completely different type of role in the S6 Quincy, M.E. episode, To Kill in Plain Sight (Magnum alum Rebecca Holden also played well against her MPI role in another Quincy episode, S7's rare comedic entry The Last of Leadbottom). Yes, I am quite huge Quincy, M.E. fan! Lots of Magnum, P.I. guest stars appeared there as well.

For some reason, season two of Magnum really brings home the memories of how 1981-82 looked and felt, at least through the lens of nostalgia. Jennifer Chapman's fashions were not just the costume of a prim English girl, but I remember variations of those fashions on women when I was a kid back then. What are those? Neo-Victorian? Amusing to see now, but those ultra-conservative fashions came back in the early years of the '80s, just before it all got hideously garish. I've always said that a decade wears out its welcome by mid point, and the '80s definitely qualify as having worn out their welcome by, say, 1984. But I digress (duh!).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Ms Masters wrote:In Tropical Madness, TC and Rick help Magnum ambush the art thief, the Sumo Wrestler and the dwarf/midget---in the fray, the sumo wrestler grabs Rick and TC grabs the dwarf, the camera pans on TC holding the kicking midget well off the ground, and in the background we hear Rick scream, " Hey, get this guy off of me!!"---TC laughs, and I do too!! What comedic irony if I may Higgnisly say!!!
:lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by KingKC »

For everyone's high marks for this show I can only vaguely remember it. Even after reading the episode synopsis and forum comments I have no idea what the lady was trying to get out of Higgins or why she was conning him. As I said I am relying on memories that are mostly 30+ years old so I guess there are gaps.

KingKC

Turkey
Admiral

#63 Post by Turkey »

Superb episode I reckon.

Noticed John's slight accent-slip around the part where he hits Magnum but overall, so much to like here. The 'ravishing scene' of course, throwing the dwarf and some great 'rules' for the How to be a World Class PI book :)
Make it two weeks.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by KingKC »

KingKC wrote:For everyone's high marks for this show I can only vaguely remember it. Even after reading the episode synopsis and forum comments I have no idea what the lady was trying to get out of Higgins or why she was conning him. As I said I am relying on memories that are mostly 30+ years old so I guess there are gaps.

KingKC
Well I finally got to see a rerun of this episode and the plot and ending still seemed a little weak to me. There were though iconic scenes such as the Sumo wrestler and the dwarf beating up TM, Higgins hitting TM, Higgins practicing his suave remarks, and the last unseen scene where you know Rick is losing his battle with the Sumo wrestler. I still cannot give it very high marks.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've always been bothered by the girl's fake British accent. You can tell she's an American trying to sound British. It's strange how most British actors can do convincing American accents, but American actors nearly always fail to do a convincing British accent. (except John Hillerman, of course!)

There are great scenes in this episode, but of the "Higgins in Love" episodes, I much prefer Letter to a Duchess.