6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Higgy_baby »

Nice to see Vic Morrow, but he's a far cry from Sgt. Saunders in Combat or the punk in Blackboard jungle.

Maybe he was going for a TS look, but somehow the longer hair and mustache don't work for him.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

I could be wrong, but I believe the woman we see surfing at the beginning of this episode (the one that is supposed to be Kacy) is surfing legend Rell Sunn, the "Queen of Makaha". It's hard to tell for sure because you really don't get a good look at her, but it certainly appears to be.

Rell had a brief appearance at the end of Season Four's "Dream A Little Dream".

Speaking of the opening surf scene, what's up with the "Kid on the Beach" (credited as such) checking out Kacy as she comes out of the water?!

He looks her up and down, bites his lip. What is he like 12! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

I think Officer Kelly was framed and it was the kid who did it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! Doc! :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

James J. Walters wrote:Speaking of the opening surf scene, what's up with the "Kid on the Beach" (credited as such) checking out Kacy as she comes out of the water?!

He looks her up and down, bites his lip. What is he like 12! :shock:
I don't know about you guys, but a surfer chick in a bathing suit would have certainly caught my eye at 12 - suddenly the way I looked at women completely changed around then!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! Styles! :)

I'm not arguing with that. It just seemed a little.... strange. Especially the way they shot it. Why a "Kid on the Beach"? A "Teenager on the Beach" would have been more palatable. ;)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

James J. Walters wrote:LOL! Styles! :)

I'm not arguing with that. It just seemed a little.... strange. Especially the way they shot it. Why a "Kid on the Beach"? A "Teenager on the Beach" would have been more palatable. ;)
True enough. That does seem like behaviour a little more suited to 16-18...or 19-99. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MACattack »

The title of this episode got me thinking about the state of TV today. Basically, 'wave goodbye' to programming like MAGNUM P.I. Reality TV sucks!
I only watch TV for the Lakers games! The rest of the time I watch my complete MPI collectionm or I'm out experiencing life.
I just don't give a damn!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#19 Post by N1095A »

J.J. Walters wrote:LOL! Styles! :)

What is really odd, and they didn't show on camera is that the kid immediately put his towel in a ziplock bag after Kacy was done with it. He's 41 now, and still has the towel.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#20 Post by robspace54 »

I was a little disappointed in this episode. It had no Magnum p.i. "charm." And Vic Morrow could only play one character, no matter what he was in... The kid on the beach (credited as Joey Coleman) scene was definitley a throw-away - no kick.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by charybdis1966 »

I liked this episode and I'd a given it a 7.5 if the poll was working. In particular Magnum's empathetic approach to Nick was quite moving.

The plot twist worked well for me too, I had the grumpy cop as the culprit.

Lots of bikined bodies around to add to the visual appeal of the episode.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#22 Post by ThomasMagnum »

When Magnum goes to talk to Nick Frangakis (The Nam veteran) and they first meet, Frangakis is holding a M16 - they exchange some words in Vietnamese.

Does anyone know what they say to each other?

Bathurstfan
Commander

#23 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hey does anyone know how to get to the place they called the surfrider club in this episode

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

I like this episode mostly for Vic Morrow and Wings Hauser. ESPECIALLY Wings, cuz I love that man.

I think the biggest weakness with this episode -- and this was the fault of many television series of the 80s -- was that we had no prior knowledge of the victim. So we see Magnum all upset, but have no background really as to why, and then we never hear about her again.

I mean, you saw stuff like that all the time on stuff like Hart to Hart, but here we see a noticably (sp?) distraught Thomas, and yet, we don't feel that sadness ourselves. Not like when Tanaka died (as an example)...

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

Bathurstfan wrote:Hey does anyone know how to get to the place they called the surfrider club in this episode
Hi there Bathurstfan, the location is included in my location guide, and you can find more info about it there.

The Surfrider Club was located here, although I suspect they built an exterior set against the side of this building and didn't actually use the inside. I haven't yet found where the interior was filmed. As far as actually getting there, you could probably use the directions on this page for the way to the Lost survivors camp. They're both on the same beach. The beach is public property, but I think if you actually went up to the building you would be at risk of meeting the security guards who are there mainly for the Lost set to the northeast. Although I'm not sure what the security situation is now that Lost is no longer being filmed.