No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

Mr. T M P.I.
Ensign

Re: Wave Goodbye (2.8)

#51 Post by Mr. T M P.I. »

Does anyone know if the melody " Kacy's song " is avilable for download / purchase anywhere ? It's a lovely melody from this episode and I know that there is a Clip on this site of it, however I am looking for the full melody and studio recording ?

Thank you for any help :-)

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#52 Post by magnumette »

Wave goodbye: 10 great for characterization and Vietnam Vet portrayal
Wings Hauser's memorable performance as Nick is what makes this episode great. Magnum's confession that he served time in psychiatric rehab strengthened my respect for his character-but at the moment blew my mind almost as much as Nicks- I'd forgotten this -or never really noticed all those years ago when I last watched this ! I just love the depth of his character. Steven Moffat the creative genius behind many Brit shows- Dr Who, Sherlock, said about Sherlock - it is a show about a detective -not a detective show- this rings true for MPI especially with episodes like this . Magnum has to solve a puzzle for himself -not because of a client of the week...

Yeah it is dated - not so much for the DNA - but the character's lifestyles - surfer chick smokes a little grass, maybe does a little blow has casual and unprotected sex on beach . I was about "kid on the beach"'s age when this aired but clearly more innocent...by the time I was mid teens a couple of years after this was filmed - casual sex and drugs were big taboos due to Nancy Reagan and HIV/AIDS epidemic. I appreciate even though she was a free spirit Magnum defended supported her choices to enjoy life.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mr. T M P.I. wrote:Does anyone know if the melody " Kacy's song " is avilable for download / purchase anywhere ? It's a lovely melody from this episode and I know that there is a Clip on this site of it, however I am looking for the full melody and studio recording ?
Not that I'm aware of. It is indeed a lovely melody. I'd really like to see a Post/Carpenter Magnum P.I. episode scores CD release, like what they did with Jan Hammer's Miami Vice scores. A 3-CD release... t'would be awesome! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

magnumette wrote:Wave goodbye: ......Yeah it is dated - not so much for the DNA - but the character's lifestyles - surfer chick smokes a little grass, maybe does a little blow has casual and unprotected sex on beach . I was about "kid on the beach"'s age when this aired but clearly more innocent...by the time I was mid teens a couple of years after this was filmed - casual sex and drugs were big taboos due to Nancy Reagan and HIV/AIDS epidemic.
I don't know why but I got an image of Nancy Reagan being heavily into casual sex and drugs when you put it like that.

The main thing I remember about the 80's was Tipper Gore putting my favourite band, Judas Priest, on the "musn't listen to list" - i guess that was part of the same moral crusade.

EZiller
Captain

#55 Post by EZiller »

7, nothing special. Would have liked to have seen more of Diane Crowley as Kacy! But aside from her looking so good, I think they could have developed the plot line a bit better and maybe had her murder about halfway through the story, rather than in the first .10 minutes. Plus I think the great Vic Morrow was wasted playing...once again, a grouchy, fascist type of cop-which seemed to be the only type of roles he was getting later in his career. For millions of baby boomer age boys who grew up in the 60's, VM as Sgt. Saunders in "Combat" was our idea of what a Sgt. and platoon leader should be. When we would play army we would all alternate as the various characters in the show. But Sgt. Saunders was the guy everyone wanted to be. Although it was occasionally fun to be the German and ham up a death scene.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#56 Post by Dave Anderson »

One of the best episodes from Season 2.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re:

#57 Post by Dave Anderson »

Doc Ibold wrote:I think Officer Kelly was framed and it was the kid who did it.
Lol. That's an interesting theory. :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#58 Post by marlboro »

He's got long hair. So did Charles Manson. Coincidence?

charybdis1966 wrote:I don't know why but I got an image of Nancy Reagan being heavily into casual sex and drugs when you put it like that.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors...

charybdis1966 wrote:The main thing I remember about the 80's was Tipper Gore putting my favourite band, Judas Priest, on the "musn't listen to list" - i guess that was part of the same moral crusade.
I wonder if Joy knows "Parental Guidance"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIfkdDnRf4

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by charybdis1966 »

marlboro wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:I don't know why but I got an image of Nancy Reagan being heavily into casual sex and drugs when you put it like that.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors...

charybdis1966 wrote:The main thing I remember about the 80's was Tipper Gore putting my favourite band, Judas Priest, on the "musn't listen to list" - i guess that was part of the same moral crusade.
I wonder if Joy knows "Parental Guidance"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIfkdDnRf4
Ha ha Marlboro, it always the apparently staid types who have a glint in their eye that suggests a mischievous spirit.

I play a bit of guitar, badly, and so wish I could have had a jam with Joy - what a babe and excellent musical taste.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted Wave Goodbye a 6.5 (Not So Good) though I was wavering between that and a 7.0.

Glacial directorial pacing and an overall generic feel doom this episode. It could be an episode of almost any dramatic TV show from the 1970s; none of the Magnum P.I. flavor comes through here. Casey and Magnum have no interaction other than their brief passing by on the beach. Wave Goodbye also manages to waste the presence of two fine actors: the legendary (and greatly missed) Vic Morrow and the usually superb Wings Hauser, However, Morrow was nothing but a shallow red herring and the scene between Magnum and Hauser's Nick was interminable! Hauser should have played W.K. Stratton's role and Hauser Stratton's. Then we could have witnessed a superb psychotic meltdown that The Man Who Will Always Be Ramrod did so well. Wings Hauser as another actor who should have gotten a second guest shot--as a different character--on Magnum, P.I.

All that and Higgins once again relegated to "show up and get paid" status. Wave Goodbye is not an episode I'll revisit anytime soon.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Milton Collins »

I had not seen this episode in a long long time and liked it a lot more than I had remembered. It was an 8.5 for me. This is a really good solid episode that covers many bases:

- An awesome early scene with TM sunbathing and going on and on with Higgins about how they should do things for each other just to be nice and because they are friends, only to end by negotiating an added week of the tennis courts lol.

- I agree with some of the comments on here that Kacey and Magnum's past should have been built up a bit before her death but Selleck still did a great job of acting (as always:)) by how he took her death quite hard and was determined to bring her killer to justice. Just wish they would have thrown in a bit more background on thier relationship (and btw Rick was quited devastated by her death as well as shown when TM meets him for breakfast at the club and he's all sad and downtrodden). It would have made her death more impactful as you would have know where the relationship came from and then she died and was never brought up again in any other episodes.

- Totally good twist! I had no idea who the killer was the first time I watched this. I never guessed either of the cops to be honest, and it clearly wasn't Nick as he was just suffering from severe PTS and didn't seem like the murderer type. If anything I thought it was the rather dispicable drug dealing big bird clone Gary! Totally awesome twist making it Kelly the cop.

- While I had never really scene Vic Morrow in anything else, how terribly sad to hear of his tragic death. Decapitated by a prop helicopter which also killed two children? How horriffic! I don't know if he was a big actor but that's just a terrible thing to hear.

- I liked how concerned Magnum was about Nick and how he tried to help him. I think it would have been a nice touch if at the end he would have went the extra mile and ensured that Nick got into a hospital where he could receive much needed help. Another fantasticly realistic portrayal of a deeply troubled and disturbed Viet Nam vet. Reminded me slightly of John J Rambo from first blood. Extremely sad to see what happened to many of those poor guys!

Overall a really solid episode! Loved seeing Sgt. Jordan bust Officer Kelly at the end! Kelly was about to take our favorite Private Investigator and do away with him and Jordan saved the day. He played a tough rather jerky cop the whole time but loved him showing his true colors and that he was a good, honest cop.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#62 Post by Dave Anderson »

As I said before, I think this was one of the best episodes from season 2. Woman on the Beach of course being the best. Not sure for the negative views; well, ok, some of you offer your reasons I guess. Personally, I like this episode all the way around.

It had the 70s/early 80s bar vibe going on in a few scenes, which seemed pretty authentic in characterizing the party scene of the young adult set at the time. Sadly I was too young for that then : ( . It had the PTSD suffering psycho veteran in the banana patch thing going on. It had the surfer / beach aspect. It had the early 80s, trying too hard to be cool bartender Ralph. He makes me laugh every time. The ending is a total surprise the first time you see the episode.

The more I watch this episode the more respect I have for it. Its really good IMO.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by KingKC »

I think this one was a better episode than the 7.9 given by the voting members. I would put it in the 8.3-8.4 range. Probably because I like Vic Morrow as an actor. I didn't like his character at first but loved the twist at the end.

KingKC

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I just watched this episode again tonight. I noticed an anomaly in the story. After Magnum escaped the set-up at the clearing on Maui, he made a comment to one of the cops: (I'm paraphrasing) "You two used to work the drug unit over there..." Now I don't understand why HPD officers would be working on Maui.

Otherwise a good episode....even with very little Higgy-Baby.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Tesza
Lieutenant Commander

Re:

#65 Post by Tesza »

Hi again, long time no see ^^
I... wrote:
ThomasMagnum wrote:When Magnum goes to talk to Nick Frangakis (The Nam veteran) and they first meet, Frangakis is holding a M16 - they exchange some words in Vietnamese.

Does anyone know what they say to each other?
I have no idea what Magnum is trying to say. I don't think his Vietnamese pronunciation was first priority in this episode. What I did get though was Nick saying "Dừng lại" (Stop!).
I tried to figure it out by searching for Vietnamese words sounding like what Magnum said, considering the possibility his pronunciation may not be very accurate (neither in the English original, nor in the German dub). The best result I got was "tôi đã vướng", which means something like "I got caught" - might sound strange in this context, but this is the one making most sense (the "tôi đã" meaning "I have" can be guessed easily; it was the last word confusing me, given that there are quite some words sounding similar to it, and each of them has multiple meanings depending on the intonation). In a wider sense it apparently can mean "I'm in trouble", but searching for a phrase with that meaning did not get me reasonable results, so I assume it may possibly have this meaning, but a native Vietnamese probably would not use it like this.