No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Wave Goodbye (2.8)

#61 Post by Milton Collins »

I had not seen this episode in a long long time and liked it a lot more than I had remembered. It was an 8.5 for me. This is a really good solid episode that covers many bases:

- An awesome early scene with TM sunbathing and going on and on with Higgins about how they should do things for each other just to be nice and because they are friends, only to end by negotiating an added week of the tennis courts lol.

- I agree with some of the comments on here that Kacey and Magnum's past should have been built up a bit before her death but Selleck still did a great job of acting (as always:)) by how he took her death quite hard and was determined to bring her killer to justice. Just wish they would have thrown in a bit more background on thier relationship (and btw Rick was quited devastated by her death as well as shown when TM meets him for breakfast at the club and he's all sad and downtrodden). It would have made her death more impactful as you would have know where the relationship came from and then she died and was never brought up again in any other episodes.

- Totally good twist! I had no idea who the killer was the first time I watched this. I never guessed either of the cops to be honest, and it clearly wasn't Nick as he was just suffering from severe PTS and didn't seem like the murderer type. If anything I thought it was the rather dispicable drug dealing big bird clone Gary! Totally awesome twist making it Kelly the cop.

- While I had never really scene Vic Morrow in anything else, how terribly sad to hear of his tragic death. Decapitated by a prop helicopter which also killed two children? How horriffic! I don't know if he was a big actor but that's just a terrible thing to hear.

- I liked how concerned Magnum was about Nick and how he tried to help him. I think it would have been a nice touch if at the end he would have went the extra mile and ensured that Nick got into a hospital where he could receive much needed help. Another fantasticly realistic portrayal of a deeply troubled and disturbed Viet Nam vet. Reminded me slightly of John J Rambo from first blood. Extremely sad to see what happened to many of those poor guys!

Overall a really solid episode! Loved seeing Sgt. Jordan bust Officer Kelly at the end! Kelly was about to take our favorite Private Investigator and do away with him and Jordan saved the day. He played a tough rather jerky cop the whole time but loved him showing his true colors and that he was a good, honest cop.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#62 Post by Dave Anderson »

As I said before, I think this was one of the best episodes from season 2. Woman on the Beach of course being the best. Not sure for the negative views; well, ok, some of you offer your reasons I guess. Personally, I like this episode all the way around.

It had the 70s/early 80s bar vibe going on in a few scenes, which seemed pretty authentic in characterizing the party scene of the young adult set at the time. Sadly I was too young for that then : ( . It had the PTSD suffering psycho veteran in the banana patch thing going on. It had the surfer / beach aspect. It had the early 80s, trying too hard to be cool bartender Ralph. He makes me laugh every time. The ending is a total surprise the first time you see the episode.

The more I watch this episode the more respect I have for it. Its really good IMO.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by KingKC »

I think this one was a better episode than the 7.9 given by the voting members. I would put it in the 8.3-8.4 range. Probably because I like Vic Morrow as an actor. I didn't like his character at first but loved the twist at the end.

KingKC

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I just watched this episode again tonight. I noticed an anomaly in the story. After Magnum escaped the set-up at the clearing on Maui, he made a comment to one of the cops: (I'm paraphrasing) "You two used to work the drug unit over there..." Now I don't understand why HPD officers would be working on Maui.

Otherwise a good episode....even with very little Higgy-Baby.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Tesza
Lieutenant Commander

Re:

#65 Post by Tesza »

Hi again, long time no see ^^
I... wrote:
ThomasMagnum wrote:When Magnum goes to talk to Nick Frangakis (The Nam veteran) and they first meet, Frangakis is holding a M16 - they exchange some words in Vietnamese.

Does anyone know what they say to each other?
I have no idea what Magnum is trying to say. I don't think his Vietnamese pronunciation was first priority in this episode. What I did get though was Nick saying "Dừng lại" (Stop!).
I tried to figure it out by searching for Vietnamese words sounding like what Magnum said, considering the possibility his pronunciation may not be very accurate (neither in the English original, nor in the German dub). The best result I got was "tôi đã vướng", which means something like "I got caught" - might sound strange in this context, but this is the one making most sense (the "tôi đã" meaning "I have" can be guessed easily; it was the last word confusing me, given that there are quite some words sounding similar to it, and each of them has multiple meanings depending on the intonation). In a wider sense it apparently can mean "I'm in trouble", but searching for a phrase with that meaning did not get me reasonable results, so I assume it may possibly have this meaning, but a native Vietnamese probably would not use it like this.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Re:

#66 Post by Bat22 »

Sisophous wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
Speaking of the opening surf scene, what's up with the "Kid on the Beach" (credited as such) checking out Kacy as she comes out of the water?!

He looks her up and down, bites his lip. What is he like 12! :shock:
I watched this episode last night and it is one of the odder moments in this entire series. Why a kid was chosen to check out an adult woman makes me wonder if the producers are sharing their own, personal desires at that age.
It seemed perfectly understandable to me. Without saying too much, there were a few live, cartoon, and comic book ladies I was crushing on before my 12th birthday. As an adult I'm more offset by a swinger like Kacy using the kid's towel!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#67 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's true. Lord knows I was thinking about Cheryl Ladd (and some others) when I was 12!... It was more about how the scene played out. He was acting like he was much older. Like he'd been there before, an old pro at it! You almost thought he was going to ask her out on a date! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#68 Post by Bat22 »

Now that you mention it, he did have that untoward confidence to seen in teenagers :lol:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#69 Post by ENSHealy »

I agree. I thought that was odd...I don't think I would ever lend out my towel.
I would have let her borrow my towel. All day, every day.

The kid could be 14 or a young looking 15.

I think I caught a flub: it's already been noted that Jordan leaves Kelly's gun on the sand, but the other thing is that he walks Kelly off in the wrong direction. You can see their squad car at the top of the screen, up by the bar, and Jordan starts walking him off down the beach. Maybe he goes vigilante on him? A little frontier justice!

This isn't really a flub, just an anomaly: when Magnum and Kelly are talking in the station, Kelly says that Jordan just doesn't like a "private eye" telling him how to do his job. And Magnum doesn't follow up with "private investigator."

I realize there must have been an unwritten shirt-off quota per episode, but I thought TM stretching out on a towel in only his UDTs in the middle of the estate grounds just to catch a few rays was a little gratuitous.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Sam »

Hi ENShealy... I see you're from Madison do you ever cross paths with Lily...Kristen E Carreira...

https://www.edwardjones.com/financial-a ... TxzK%2FbFQ

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by ENSHealy »

Sam wrote:Hi ENShealy... I see you're from Madison do you ever cross paths with Lily...Kristen E Carreira...

https://www.edwardjones.com/financial-a ... TxzK%2FbFQ
To quote Higgins...Oh My God! How could I not have known that? I've googled her a few times..obviously not recently enough! This is unbelievable. It's gonna be really hard not to quit my job just so I can rollover my 401k to her...in my red jungle parrot shirt and Tigers cap, of course.

I wonder if her business card says Little Girl Who?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Sam »

Oh My God! How could I not have known that?

I know someone contacted her about 8 years ago and never got a response.. she does have a Facebook account

karolis
Admiral

Re:

#73 Post by karolis »

308GUY wrote:Just watched this one again recently.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere here, but may have missed it, talking about a possible "flub" I thought I saw.

After TM comes out of the Surfrider in the afternoon, and encounters the two officers outside, noticed after they left and TM was getting in the Ferrari. As he opens the door, enters the car and slides down into the seat, then pulls the door closed, you can see someone's reflection in the door mirror,(head and shoulders) and it's not TM's, and there doesn't appear to be anyone else behind the car in the next shot that would be reflected in the door mirror, so I guessed it must have been one of the crew?

Anybody else notice this one, or did I miss something?
Here's the screenshot of the face in Ferrari's mirror:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by 308GUY »

Yup....that's it! :magnum:

Nice work! It may or may not have been noted elsewhere, but as I said, I didn't find it listed....but it wouldn't be the first time I "missed" something!LOL 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#75 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's the boom mic guy. I forget his name. :)

Seriously, great screen shot there! Awesome!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!